Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

My van shuts off in the rain

len8827len8827 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2018 in Chevrolet
My 2000 CMC Safari will just turn off while i am driving in the rain. It is also hard to start some time in the rain. Can anyone help.

Comments

• Options
    mklein1mklein1 Member Posts: 5
    Sorry, mine did the same thing. It only got worse. Good fuel pressure. New ground wires... Good coil. New distributor. now it won't even run. Looking forward to the answer you get.
  • Options
    Steve_01Steve_01 Member Posts: 42
    97 Astro doing the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's the ignition wires. Just ordered new ones, I'll update you after I install them.
  • Options
    ddreierddreier Member Posts: 4
    2000 safari same problem.
    Replaced the turn signal switch no flames now !
    All problems when goodbye.
    Runs like a champ now.
  • Options
    tonymajtonymaj Member Posts: 1
    My van shut off in the rain also. It was the ignition coil shorting out to ground. I found the problem by misting the whole area with a spray bottle while the engine was running and the dog house removed. The tower had a hairline crack.
  • Options
    bryonobryono Member Posts: 1
    my van wouldn't start in the rain changed cap,rotor,wires still wouldn't start then changed the ignition coil and have not had a problem for about 15000 miles
  • Options
    n2gypsyn2gypsy Member Posts: 3
    I know this thread is old but FYI, I had a 2000 Astro and it took my mechanic a week to find the problem(van shut off in the rain, stumbled in damp weather) He had bench tested the coil it was fine but a simple misting with a spray bottle told the tale. The coil had a hairline crack and would arc to ground in damp weather when it was dry no issues
  • Options
    JoannevanJoannevan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Astro and will try the coil but so many people have done that without success.  When it’s damp, foggy or raining the engine stumbles, sei light flashes, strong fuel odor in cabin and white exhaust from tail pipe. It has burned up one cat. I did the fuel injection. Also wonder if leaking power steering fluid is killing an o2 sensor wire.  Fixed the steering pump in spring.  Sunny day, a water truck spraying road for construction dust caused misfire. Always # 1 cylinder..   A mechanic charged me $637 to Time it and put a new distributor cap on it only to have it fail in the first rain of the year.  I have drill holes and the distributor too .