Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I think I read somewhere that the screen is about 5 inches which is a little bigger than a 4.3in portable GPS. Will it perform any other functions?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    The screen is a little too small...I would find a cradle for my G1 in the same location just as useful
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The nav system is also based off of an SM card instead of a DVD map. To update the nav system down the road, you get an updated SM card and it installs in the MID somewhere.

I got to see the 2010 Mazda3 in person this week. I had the opportunity to tour the Flat Rock, MI AAI plant that assembles the Mazda6, and at the quality control center across the street, there was one undergoing testing. The car looks sooo much better in person. The smiley face is not that big in person. This was a sedan, BTY. It looked great. It may be my next car.
  • ImperfectSenseImperfectSense Member Posts: 9
    What color was the 2010 Mazda3 sedan that you go to see? I suspect (hope) that the darker color paint jobs will help make the smile ( :D ) look smaller, so I'm wondering if the one you saw was in a light or dark color :)
    I saw a white one with the black tape all over it. The tape was pealing off the front end, so, I got to see most of the "smile". Really, it's not that big.

It was also a GT automatic. Really nice car.
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    I wouldn't let any small animals or toddlers around the front of it. They might get sucked in and never found again. :)
  • smallcarsmallcar Member Posts: 39
    New Mazda press release - both the sedan and hatch will be shown together at the Detroit auto show on Jan 11.

http://www.mazdausamedia.com/content/all-new-mazda3-be-exhibited-2009-north-amer- - ican-international-auto-show

Hopefully they'll announce pricing then, if not sooner.
    Hey avi, have you placed your first orders yet? I saw on another site a list of packages and options that looked like it was for Canada. Was wondering when we'll get more details here. One thing I was curious about was that they listed the GT had heated cloth seats standard, power heated leather seats were an option and there was basically a "Tech" package with the GPS, bluetooth, etc.

I'd be interested in the heated cloth seats and the "tech" package. Any idea if that's possible without getting the leather seats?
    We have not placed orders yet. We will soon. Mazda just told us they are waiting on 2010 production until 2009 inventory slims out. The world economic situation has delayed the 2010 for about 1 month or so.

Was wondering when we'll get more details here. One thing I was curious about was that they listed the GT had heated cloth seats standard, power heated leather seats were an option and there was basically a "Tech" package with the GPS, Bluetooth, etc.

The GT for America comes standard with leather / heated seats. Bluetooth is standard on all models except i Sport and i SV.

The tech package consists of a full color MID w/ compact nav screen, Sirius radio, Advanced Keyless entry and start system, perimeter alarm.

Let me know if you have any further questions about packages or options!
    Does the Sirius service provide traffic updates on the Nav? If not, would it be possible to switch from Sirius to HD Radio?

How much customization is possible from Mazda, for instance, could I order a 3 in Copper Red Mica paint but with a Black Leather interior?

When will we get to see the actual paint colors for the 2010? I'm very curious to see what the two different blues look like...

Sad to hear these cars will be delayed a month, I'm really looking forward to my first test drive ;)
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Question - will the 5-door have an option for a fixed roof rack? I'm looking for something that's held to the roof with screws, and not with clamps that distort the door seal...
    Does the Sirius service provide traffic updates on the Nav? If not, would it be possible to switch from Sirius to HD Radio?

No to both. Not for Mazda anyway.

How much customization is possible from Mazda, for instance, could I order a 3 in Copper Red Mica paint but with a Black Leather interior?

Unfortunately, you cannot get a black leather interior with the Copper Red, only the Velocity Red. Black, White and Graphite are the only s GT's that you can get with either black or dune beige leather.

When will we get to see the actual paint colors for the 2010? I'm very curious to see what the two different blues look like...

If you look at the official pic's of the 5-door, that is Celestial Blue. I have no idea what gunmetal blue looks like. The color swatches we were given are only viewable on a computer screen, and they never look like that in person.
    will the 5-door have an option for a fixed roof rack?

Accessories are not known yet, but, when I find out, I will let you know!
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    Here's the white...link title

Here's True Red and Celestial Blue with no studio effect...link title

Not sure which blue this is....link title
    I suspect that unknown blue is the Celestial Blue taken under different lighting conditions and then photoshopped a little. Could have been taken under a very yellow/orange light and someone tried to white balance it afterwards...

I'm hoping that the gunmetal blue is darker, I like a really dark but still very blue blue, if you know what I mean ;) Basically the same blue as the background of the star field on the American flag ;)

If that's not available, then... wow, tough decisions. I like red, I had a red Civic, but previous Mazda red's I've seen seemed a little too orange, a little too pre-faded. I really really like the copper red, probably even more than a blue, but there's no way I want a tan interior, period. So I guess I'll have to hope that either the gunmetal blue is still a very "blue" color, not so much gunmetal grey with a blue tint, or that the true red really is as bold and as red as paint can get.
    It's Velocity Red, not True Red. Velocity Red has flake in the paint, and is a deeper red. Not orangey like True Red.
    Yay! I'm so happy to hear that :D
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    Is any heated outside mirror there in the GT?
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    if you want to get an idea of what some of the new colors look like see attached link

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/shared/formula/documents/2009_SW_Import_ColorB- ook.pdf
    That's an awesome find! Unfortunately I don't think PDF's have the most accurate colors, but it gives some idea. I love the Stormy Blue Mica, too bad that won't be available. I will give myself a chance to see the Gunmetal Blue in person of course, but now I'm leaning towards the Velocity Red. I did notice that the Gunmetal Blue in that PDF is called Metallic, whereas the one listed for the 2010 3 is called Mica? I think that has more to do with the amount and type of flake in it than anything tho.

About how often does Mazda change the paint colors that are available, I think I've seen changes made on their "Build your own Mazda" website during the course of a model year?
    About how often does Mazda change the paint colors that are available

Well, from 04-06 the colors were the same. 07-08 (model refresh) there were a few new colors added, and some deleted. For 08.5-09 there were two colors added, and a few more deleted.

For 2010, we see a resurrection of the Velocity Red (thank God!) as well as a few carry over colors (Black Mica, Crystal White). All the other colors are new.

I suspect that we will see these colors for at least 2-3 years. Maybe one will get deleted if it does not sell and be replaced with something new. My guess is the Celestial Blue will not be a hit and the Gunmetal Blue will be a hit. Graphite will sell as well as Liquid Silver, Velocity Red, Crystal White and Black.
    i am glad mazda is offering some new interior color choices. i always liked the velocity red. Now that we know what interior colors will be offered with what colors, i am thinking about either the velocity red, or the graphite with the beige interior. also, the celestial blue is almost reminscent of the winning blue color from a few years back. it was a color that definitely stood out.
    I wonder if/when we will get to the point where, when ordering a new car, you can just send them the RGB or hex code of any color in the rainbow and get your new car delivered in that color with whatever amount/type of metal flake you want? Custom paint mixing can't be that tough, since every local hardware store now has a booth that promises color matching to anything you bring in as a sample. Granted this would only be feasible if you've paid in advance for the car, otherwise they'd have a lot of trouble with resale value, but I can see people in my generation and younger (I'm 26) responding well to that degree of customization.
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    I do agree with the concept in theory, but keep in mind that the painting process is fully automated with robots. To maintain quality standards, you need a pretty stable process which I'm sure the paint composition (pigment ratio, thinner, resultant thickness, etc.) is a huge part of. Opening up the process to an infinite number of variations of paint colors would likely open up pandora's box with respect to maintaining a good paint finish.

Dave
    Great idea in theory. Reality is quality and cost get out of wack, especially when you are producing 400,000 units/year.
  • tgassetttgassett Member Posts: 20
    Isn't the date for the car to be on dealer lots still March? Hopefully it will not change again. Also, doesn't it say somewhere on this forum that we will be able to build our own 2010 M3 on mazdausa.com starting when the Detroit auto show starts. Isn't that correct as well? Exactly what date will that be? Is the March release to dealers supposed to be early March, mid March, or late March?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Plus you've got the issue of touch-ups & body repair. Matching a custom color could get exorbitant.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Happy New Year everyone! Wow, this board has been quiet. Hopefully we'll get some more information to discuss next week from the auto show. Looking forward to finding out when I'll be able to take one out for a test drive (Feb? March?) and see if the new car has been worth the wait.
    Well, according to this, they have already begun to arrive at some US dealerships: http://mazda3revolution.com/mazda3-guide/real-world-2010-mazda-3-photos/

I'm getting EXCITED!!! :D;)
  • dc_davedc_dave Member Posts: 52
    Do we have any info on Pricing?

Dave in VA
    The car had a manufacturer plate on it. It's driven by a Mazda employee.

The first order of Mazda3 sedans were canceled because 2009 sedan inventory is still pretty high.

The first allocation of 5-doors are being produced right now. In fact, a few of mine already have VIN's. I expect them in 2 months.
    aviboy97...You say the 5-doors should be here in 2 months, what about the sedan?... sooner??
    later....sedans have not been ordered yet.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    So Mazda guessed high on the sedan volume and low on the hatch volume last year, or the hatch just sold better in the current economic conditions.
    Here in North America, the sedan is a far better seller then the 5-door. Mazda ships about 70% sedans to about 30% 5-doors over here. Right now, there are not that many 5-doors left in dealer inventory and by the time the 2010's get here, they will basically be gone. They have made an assessment about the sedans and decided to offer aggressive incentives on the remaining 09's (5-doors too) to clear them out. I suspect next month they will begin to produce sedans for North America.

It has nothing to do with what sells better. The sedan sells much more then the 5-door.
    So even though the hatchback was supposed to come after the sedan, now it be on dealer lots before the sedan?? That is a very quick change to the original plans. But the sedan will still be at dealers in March correct? I certainly hope so. How well are the incentives working so far?
  • dc_davedc_dave Member Posts: 52
    I've been reading some misleading information online. The new 2.0 and 2.5 engines are in fact NOT direct injections motors. This is a bit of a bummer for me.

DAve in VA
    Where have you read that they are? Mazda's official press release never stated they were DI engines.

Europe get's a couple DI engines, if I'm not mistaken.
    hi all,

the complete spec info is available on the 3 at Mazdas website under news from mazda.
    Thanks for the heads up, although I had a little trouble finding it. Here's the direct link:

http://www.mazdausamedia.com/files/2010%20MAZDA3%20SPEC%20DECK%202010.pdf
  • ANGManiaANGMania Member Posts: 1
    aviboy97...in regards to what sells better in the USA the sedan vs. hatch, I'm sure your figures are in line. But those numbers are misleading, considering the hatch comes in "s" form only vs. the sedan can be had at the more affordable "i" version or premium "s" version. btw - I've seen the hatch in "i" form over in Europe...not as pretty and does not do it justice...no spoilers, no skirts, & econo wheels

changing gears...pics show the hatch finally having a rear key inlet...dead center, half way between the mazda icon and the bottom lip...has this been confirmed?

other notes...rear wiper "@ rest position" has changed from passenger to driver; belt line crease, from tail lights to front quarter panels, isn't symmetrical with the door handles (or vice-versa) nor is it as fluid as it could be with the crease coming off the front quarter panel
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    Regarding the 'i' hatch - I spotted one in the Philippines about 2 years ago.
    changing gears...pics show the hatch finally having a rear key inlet...dead center, half way between the mazda icon and the bottom lip...has this been confirmed?

From pictures I've seen elsewhere, I believe it's just a hatch release button, not a keyhole.
    Hey exit123, welcome back! How about those 2010 Mazda3 hatchbacks that are going to be at dealers soon? Crazy huh... :P ;)
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Hey exit123, welcome back! How about those 2010 Mazda3 hatchbacks that are going to be at dealers soon? Crazy huh...

Hold on! They're not at dealers yet, so they still could be pulled from the lineup! :P
    But those numbers are misleading, considering the hatch comes in "s" form only vs. the sedan can be had at the more affordable "i" version or premium "s" version.

Yes and no. Only in the past 1 1/2 years has the "i" model really picked up steam in terms of sales, partly due to the revised "i touring value edition" and the increase in fuel prices. For 2004-2006/2007, the "s" sedan was far more popular then the "i" sedan. Back then, the "s" sedan still out sold the 5-door by large margins.

I bet we are going to see a large amount of 2010 "s" sedans sold off the bat as well. More then the "i". But, as the honeymoon wears off the "i" will become increasingly more popular.
    Iv'e got 2010 Mazda3 sedans at the port in NJ, and a couple 5-doors on the water. They were allocated by Mazda and not ordered by us. The first shipment that all dealers will receive are specially selected by Mazda, similar to what they did for the 2009 Mazda6. They are going to hold off on shipping them to dealers until 09 inventory slims out.

They are here boys. It's just gonna be some time before you can get your hands on one.
  • Susie3mhsSusie3mhs Member Posts: 8
    Hello to all !!
    I am going to be purchasing a new car in the next few months. I really love the 2009 Mazda3 HB GT but there seem to be very few fully loaded with Nav. and such available in my area. (I will be purchasing in NJ ). After reading this thread, I am wondering if I should be thinking of a 2010 model. I happen to love the design.

I will "need" the car by April 10th (would love it sooner...). Do you think the 2010's will be at the dealers by Early April??

Aviboy97 if you have any advice I would love to hear from you.
    Cheers & thanks all,
    Susie
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    Nothing would surprise me anymore ... :P
    Look how fast they changed their sedan/hatch allocation.
    Yes, the 2010 Mazda3's should be there by April. I suspect late late February to early March to be honest. I will update everyone here when I have news that they have been shipped.