Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Mazda3

exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Is there any truth to the rumor that Mazda is dropping the 5-door for the 2010 Mazda3, and that they will only offer the manual transmission in the base models?

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    NO truth what so ever. Both sedan and 5-door will be available.

The i model will have a 5-speed auto, or a 5-speed manual. The s model will have a 5-speed auto or a 6-speed manual.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731

• smallcarsmallcar Member Posts: 39
    I hope we see some uncamo'd shots of the hatchback soon. Sounds like only the sedan will be in LA next month. Any idea when these are going to hit the dealerships and if the sedan and hatch will both land at the same time?
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    I don't know ... that's what they said about the Mazda6 too, that there would be both sedan and hatch, then the hatch suddenly vanished from the offerings. Why are all the photos sedans, and the unveiling will be sedan only? Hmmm.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Looking into this a little too much aren't we? :)

Unlike the 5-door Mazda6, the 5-door Mazda3 is actually a fair percentage of all 3's sold. I'm not expecting the 5-door to go anywhere.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! Mazda ownership is not a requirement! :) Just bring yourself and your love of cars and the desire to discuss anything and everything automotive and you're good to go!

The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
    Did you read the Mazda press release that stated the 5-door will debut after the North American debut of the sedan?

I have the order forms for the Mazda3 already, both sedan and 5-door are on there. We are just awaiting when to place them.

Since you don't believe me, here is a link to the 5-door spy photos.....

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsGallery.aspx?AR=235310&EL=-1&IM=195562
    I'll believe it when I see it. Mazda said the same thing about the Mazda6 (available in sedan, 5-door, and wagon). Then they said oops sorry, that's not for the US, only in Europe. The debut of the 5-door could be for Europe too, and the spy photos look like they are over there as well. I have no doubt they have a 5-door model, but it could be just for Europe and other markets where hatchbacks sell better.
    Good point, the spy shots of the hatch have euro tags, but hopefully we'll see some US spy shots of the hatch soon considering the sedan still has another month before it goes on display in LA. As far as I'm concerned, no hatch = no sale for me.

aviboy - can you order one for me? I'll take a Pearl White 6 speed hatch with sunroof, heated seats and bluetooth. :shades: ;)
    Mazda never stated that the U.S was getting a 5-door or wagon version of the Mazda6. They said from day one that the North American version is not the same as the JDM/Euro version.

As I said, I have the online order forms for the Mazda3 already, both sedan and 5-door are on it. I know the colors, packages, trim levels, engines, transmissions. I know all but price and exact specs.
    LOL!

I would love to order you one. I cannot until November. That is when the first allocation is placed.

What color do you want the interior?? I bet you didn't know there was a choice.... ;)
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    hey avi, if the first allocation can be ordered by dealers in November, then it would seem the new 3 will be available early 09 say first quarter. i like the fact they are offering different interior colors. is that across the board for even gt models. that is the only thing i didn't like was an all black interior
    Yes, the 2010 Mazda3 will be in dealer inventory in January. My guess is week4. Mazda has altered their production process, which knocked about 2 weeks off production/shipment time. Thank God!

They are offering 2 different interior colors for the GT, only in certain exterior colors. I cannot disclose that exact color just yet. There is an abundance of new exterior colors too. I can't wait to see what they really look like.
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    thanks for the info. if i was in your area i'd buy one from you. in the big atl here. i can order one then next year in time for my b-day in may. i really like the new look of the 3. very sharp.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Found this and thought I'd share.

uh no! I hope the hood scoop is just for the prototype :sick:
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    Looks like this time the scoop is for real. It is too well integrated into the hood to be fake. I think having the intake on the hood will resolve the initial heat issues the mazdaspeed6 with a similar engine originally had, and will serve to help differentiate it from the non mazdaspeed 5-door version.
    The hood scoop really does not help with heat soak either. All it takes is a look into the Subi forums and notice how after a few hard runs, the TMIC is virtually useless. A front mount is the best way to go for cooling turbo charged air.
  • slateracslaterac Member Posts: 85
    Just remember with the Mazda 3 that the tires will wear after 30k no matter what tires are on the car. I have a 2006 and unless they fixed this in 2010 then they are going to wear out faster than they should so be prepared to spend a lot of money on tires. I have 24k on my tires and I need new ones and I drive 10 miles a day to and from work. If you drive 30k a year then be prepared to buy new tires every year. I don't think Mazda has fixed this problem and they haven't had a recall either.

I just want to let you know so that you are not surprised and you have all the information on the car. I love my car and if I put 30k a year on my car I'd be pissed right now but still I had my car for 2 1/2 years and having to replace them now sucks too.
    Well, since Mazda does not manufacture the tires, why would they recall them? Unless they are defective, and went with an alternate brand. There is nothing wrong with the tire, and there is nothing to fix. There is no performance vehicle that has tires that last.

Bridgestone is the supplier. Remember, they are a performance summer "Z" rated tires. They are meant to provide dry road grip. Any tire that has handling as their first design priority will never last. Your sales person should have told you that.

There is a simple fix to your solution. Buy 4 season radials, and you will get 30K plus out of them. Also, how do you drive your Speed? Like it was designed to drive? Or do you drive it like a regular Mazda3? I highly doubt it's the latter of the two, or else you would not have purchased it.
    Aviboy nailed it.

It's not Mazda's fault if the tires are wearing out quickly, they're SUPPOSED to. The tire compounds are specifically formulated to give you excellent traction at all costs. In most cases, extreme performance and long treadlife are mutually exclusive qualities, you usually have to sacrifice one to get the other.

It's the exact same case with the Mazdaspeed 6. They were equipped with Bridgestone Potenza RE050As, a "max performance summer" tire, with an average treadlife of 10-12K miles (with some going much sooner than that). It's the same case with all other automakers that throw on high-performance tires on their high-performance cars, not just unique to Mazda.

You can easily buy all-seasons for the Speed3. Be prepared to lose some traction and control when driving at 9 or 10/10ths, but you'll get a longer-lasting tire.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Will the '10 hatch require the bigger (2.5?) engine?
    Yep. The 5-door will have the 2.5L.
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    Aviboy,

Have you heard if Mazda improved the A/c for the '10 Mazda 3?
    Last I knew, the a/c was fixed back in 06-07.

I have no technical info for the 2010 Mazda3 just yet.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    The 5-door will have the 2.5L
    I wonder if there will be other engine choices offered. This year Mazda Canada introduced the Mazda3 hatchback in a GX model with a 2.0 L engine in addition to the GS and GT models equipped with the 2.3 L engine. In Europe, the Mazda3 hatchback comes with a variety of engines (including diesel).
    Nope, just the 2.5L. The 2.2L CD would be nice though
    Carscoop is saying that the hatchback will be unveiled on Dec. 2nd at the Bologna Motor Show in Italy. Can't wait...
    The 2010 Mazda3 will debut at the LA Auto Show, and it's a 4-door only! This is what I've been saying all along - they're dropping the 5-door model in the US. The pics you've been seeing of the 5-door are for Europe and other non-US markets where hatchbacks sell better.
    Proof?
    they're dropping the 5-door model in the US
    Highly unlikely considering its popularity. It's more likely that the Mazdaspeed3 would disappear before the Mazda3 hatchback.

It's not unusual for an auto manufacturer to unveil different models at different auto shows.
  • rdm925rdm925 Member Posts: 46
    I think Mazda will sell the 5-door in the US. Their own website says they will introduce the Mazda 3 5-door later. This the USA site here ;http://www.mazdausa.com
    I don't believe their make the same mistake they made with the new 6.
    I look forward to checking it out. :shades:
    Good point.
    The press release on the MazdaUSA site says:
    "Following the world debut of the North American specification sedan with 2.0- and 2.5-liter engines at the show, the five-door hatchback version will be revealed in line with Mazda’s global sales schedule."
    In other words, information about the hatchback is coming soon.
    With the global economy in a shambles and auto sales down, Mazda will be looking for ways to save money. Remember, Mazda is partially owned by Ford (34% the last I heard) who is in deep [non-permissible content removed] right now, and will be looking for ways to cut costs. Dropping a low-volume model is a great way to do that. If the Mazda3 hatchback is such a great seller in the US and they plan to sell the hatchback soon after the sedan, then why did they decide to introduce ONLY the sedan at the LA Auto show? I think they'll let the hatchback sales go to the cheaper brands like Kia and Hyundai.
    With the global economy in a shambles and auto sales down, Mazda will be looking for ways to save money. Remember, Mazda is partially owned by Ford (34% the last I heard) who is in deep [non-permissible content removed] right now, and will be looking for ways to cut costs.

That's funny, because last time I heard, Ford was looking to drop their share of ownership of Mazda. The only company cutting costs is Ford, NOT Mazda.

Dropping a low-volume model is a great way to do that.

Uhh, "low-volume"? Unlike the Mazda6 5-door, the Mazda3 5-door is hardly a "low-volume" seller in NA.

If the Mazda3 hatchback is such a great seller in the US and they plan to sell the hatchback soon after the sedan, then why did they decide to introduce ONLY the sedan at the LA Auto show?

It's called marketing.
    Hmmm, wonder why all the 2010 Mazda3 photos are only the sedan? Why is the LA debut only the sedan? Why the 5-door will be revealed in Europe (Bologna)? The answer is obvious, the 5-door Mazda3 will be sold in Europe but will disappear from the line-up in the US. Yes, the press releases do state the 5-door will be revealed later, but they fail to mention that it will only be sold in Europe and Asia.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Doubt it will go away any time soon. Down here in South Florida I see as many sedans as hatchbacks...maybe more. And talked with a salesman while having warranty work done on the wife's 3s and he didn't think that the hatch would be dropped from the lineup either. The 6 hatch didn't sell anywhere near the numbers that the 3 hatch does.
    But this is all speculation on all our parts. Why don't we just wait till we get word from...MAZDA!

The Sandman :)
    I'm not worried. We'll know more next week at the soonest if they say anything during the sedan reveal, or a little over 2 weeks from now at the latest. I'm confident the hatch will be coming to the US. :shades:
    From roadandtrack.com:

Available as a 4-door sedan or a 5-door hatchback, the new Mazda3 offers improved fuel efficiency, more safety features, a quieter cabin and an updated ride character that feels both more sporty and refined. Mazda says that it will unveil the 5-door version a few months down the road after the sedan's Los Angeles unveiling. We're glad to hear that the company plans to continue manufacturing the 5-door because we love the looks, grocery-getting convenience and fuel efficiency of this smart configuration.

Click me!
    Mazda probably said that way before the economy went to crap.
    The 2010 Mazda3 will debut at the LA Auto Show, and it's a 4-door only! This is what I've been saying all along - they're dropping the 5-door model in the US

Yes, they are only debuting the sedan in LA, however, us here State side are getting the 5-door. It's on my dealer network intranet for Mazda North American Operations. We are getting it.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Dude, give it up already. There'll be a hatch. In this economy it's even more likely for Mazda to have a hatch so that they have an alternative for those folks that were planing on getting some CUV like the CX-7 but want something cheaper.
    It's on my dealer network intranet for Mazda North American Operations. We are getting it.

How is the financial crisis affecting your dealership, aviboy?

Are some vehicle purchases more affected than others?

I would imagine that many people are hesitating before purchasing any new vehicle in this type of environment. Any opinions on what would help the recovery?
    Sure, it's planned. It was probably planned already a couple of years ago, but the game has changed since then. Having it on some dealer network intranet means nothing until units are actually built. Why do suppose they are delaying it? Why not just show them both if they really are going to sell them both? Have they given a reason for that? Of course not, because the reason is so they can look at sales for the sedan and decide if it's profitable to build the 5-door, and they don't want to tell anyone that.

Sales of most auto models will be lower due to the worldwide economic meltdown. Mazda doesn't care about providing alternatives, only sales and profit. That's not a bad thing, just the way it works. In today's global economy you just have to drop the low volume stuff to stay profitable. The game has changed.
    How is the financial crisis affecting your dealership, aviboy?

It's not that bad where I am. Could business be better? Absolutely. Sales are down, that's for sure.

Are some vehicle purchases more affected than others?

The Mazda3, Mazda6 and CX-9 remain hot sellers....well, as hot as they can in a market like this. The CX-7 has really died down and the MX-5 is virtually dead. I'm guessing the MX-5 has hurt because it is usually a car purchased for recreation. People are not spending money on recreation right now.

Any opinions on what would help the recovery?

I'm stumped. I really think those people who have money to spend, and in my area that is a lot, are scared to spend it right now. Then there are those who are struggling to just get by. Those people are not even coming out.

What really is hurting us is lending institutions. They are being very very restrictive and selective with who they lend money too. Almost too selective. I have had a few people with 700+ credit scores and money down rejected loans by banks that 3 months ago were lending out money to people with 600 credit scores and no money down. I understand, and agree, with not lending money to 600 type people, but a 700+ person? Come on. Those people pay their bills.
    Having it on some dealer network intranet means nothing until units are actually built

It does if it's an ORDER GUIDE. They are ordered before they get built.....

Of course not, because the reason is so they can look at sales for the sedan and decide if it's profitable to build the 5-door, and they don't want to tell anyone that.

It is very profitable to build both versions. What evidence do you have to the support your claim? Apparently the info provided to me by Mazda is not good enough for you.

In today's global economy you just have to drop the low volume stuff to stay profitable

For domestics maybe, not Asian brands. Mazda just shelled out $500 million to buy their company back from Ford. Mazda is not hurting for cash. Remember, they are going to turn a big profit this year, despite the down market.
    I got wind today that the 2010 Mazda3 i will be powered by the revised MZR 2.0L with an output of 150hp and 36mpg highway. I'm curious to see if this is true.
    The mpg sounds good. I read that they'll have the 2.5L 170hp from the Mazda6 as an option.
    Yeah, that is almost certain