Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

Comments

• bkbybkby Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem. To reproduce it just apply a little excess pressure on the brake peddle when starting the car or when changing gears from park to D or R. It triggers the VSC and jumps into gear when the VSC clears. I consider this a very dangerous situation and am discussing with Toyota. Had it back to the dealer abut 4 times before we figured it out. Once we did, we could reproduce on every Venza on the lot. This should be a recall item in my opinion.
  • sanishsanish Member Posts: 66
    I test drove 2009 Venza (V6 w/AWD) yesterday and noticed a few issues with it, not sure if some of you had the same observation.

1) There was a burning smell outside the car after the test drive and the salesman mentioned that it was because the car was new and still needs to break in.
    2) The cargo area with the trunk closed and the second row in position is not that great.
    3) I always position my elbow either on the door or door handle, did not find a good position in this vehicle and the leather seats we not comfortable.
    4) 20" wheels are way too big for this vehicle.
    5) Too expensive for a Camry Wagon.
  • normvenza09normvenza09 Member Posts: 36
    Sanish,

Saturn VUE is affordable. It doesn't have the burning smell nor 20" wheels.

I don't have the same observation like yours. I love every bit and driving my VENZA that I accumulated 15000 miles within 6 months.
  • sanishsanish Member Posts: 66
    Mr,

You seem to love your Venza so much that you cannot tolerate others observation. BTW, nobody asked for your advise on which vehicle one should buy.

I am planning to buy 2010 RX350 in December but since I read from various posts that Venza is a good vehicle and in comparison with RX350, I thought of checking it out and post my observation. I am not trying to explain to you but to others who may get offended by my post. "I am not here to trash Venza but for good input from sensible owners".
    It is grayed out. I want to connect my IPHONE with OS 3.1 for Bluetooth Audio streaming. Does anyone here have this kind of set-up? I saw the youtube video from Cars.com but it doesn't show the steps.

My Iphone cell phone is connected to the car's bluetooth but not the audio bluetooth.

UPDATE: I got it to work for both bluetooth phone and audio. However, you can't connect at the same time. The trick is to change the password for Bluetooth Audio same as the Bluetooth Phone.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    We are still deciding on our purchase, so can't answer as an owner. But...

1) There was a burning smell outside the car after the test drive and the salesman mentioned that it was because the car was new and still needs to break in.
    -That is normal in a brand new vehicle. It can last for a while as various surface waxes and oils left over from the build burn off.

2) The cargo area with the trunk closed and the second row in position is not that great.
    -Form over function. People tend not to like squared off rear ends these days. Raking the back reduces cargo but the buying public prefers the look. If you are considering the '10 RX, look at the profiles - looks like it's just the Lexus version of the Venza, so don't expect much improvement from your choice.

3) I always position my elbow either on the door or door handle, did not find a good position in this vehicle and the leather seats we not comfortable.
    -That's always personal and varies by body size and shape. I could never find a comfortable driving position in our Sienna. My wife loved it.

-I agree wholeheartedly and the wheels on the Lexus look better IMHO. Many people here don't. Personal taste on that one.

- Maybe, but the premium for the AWD option is worth it to some of us. I personally agree with you if folks are considering the FWD version. OTOH some might argue the RX is expensive for a Venza with a Lexus badge, wood trim and fancier leather.
    "Too expensive for a Camry Wagon." - that sounds like trashing the Venza to me.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Saying something is expensive isn't trashing it, in my book. And I agree that "burning" smell will dissipate after a few drives.

That said, I wouldn't buy a V-6 AWD unless I lived in a snowy, mountainous area, or had a few secret backwoods fishing holes that were isolated by mud bogs. Why? Because it's much more expensive than the base model. The FWD 2.7L with Avalon-level standard equipment is the bargain buy. Less than $28k. And fine in snow (with decent all-season tires). 2010's will have standard Bluetooth and USB audio input for iPod. My lease is up in February, and am beginning the countdown.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302

I was worried about this too, given the steep slope of the rear window. I had the same concern when I looked at the RX. On paper, the '10 RX has more cargo room than the Venza (30 vs. 40 cu ft), but I think part of it's due to the RX being 4 inches taller. There's a difference between numbers on paper and actual usable space for the kinds of things you expect to carry.

Before I bought my Venza, I took several suitcases (which is probably the most cargo that I'd carry at any one time) to the dealer to see if it would all fit. Fortunately, it did, so the cargo area became a non-issue for me.

I agree on the driver's side -- the door is too high to rest my arm and the armrest is too low. Not a big deal for me, though.

The best right-side armrest that I ever had was the seat-mounted one on my 2001 Highlander, which lacked a center console. Everything else has been too low for comfort, though I find myself resting my hand on the Venza's gear shift.

Count me in as one of those who like the 20" wheels. The 18" wheels on the '10 RX look tiny and plain. Notice how all the photos on Lexus' site are of the optional 19" wheels.

If it really was just a wagon version of the Camry, I'd agree. But the Venza is better than a Camry. If you had to call it a wagon version of something, it's closer to being an Avalon wagon, IMHO.

I took a good look at the '10 RX (which had just gone on sale) before deciding on the Venza. Without the navigation system, you're stuck with a cheesy black and white display and a large plastic tray where the remote touch controller would have been. With the Navigation, you're looking at over $45K based on the package combinations my distributor brings in.

To some, the real wood (yes, the Venza's attempt at wood is not fooling anyone), softer leather, longer warranty, premium dealer experience, exclusive tech options (HUDs, PCS, dynamic radar), etc. are worth it. For others (like me), the Venza was the right balance of luxury and price. Either way, both are great vehicles.

I think the parallel experience follows those cross-shopping the Forrester and the CR-V against the Venza. Is the Venza worth the premium over those fine vehicles? I think it is, but neither the Forrester nor the CR-V were serious contenders for me when I was shopping, so I really didn't take a good look at them.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I will not be "trading in" my '01 F/awd RX300 for a new RX until one is available with the I4 adapted to DFI and extended VVT-i, same for the Venza, whichever comes first.

But I would be THRILLED to buy a hybrid F/awd (drive shaft rear drive) Venza with the I4, DFI, and extended VVT-i. Or even a CX-7 under the same "build".
    I think the parallel experience follows those cross-shopping the Forrester and the CR-V against the Venza. Is the Venza worth the premium over those fine vehicles? I think it is, but neither the Forrester nor the CR-V were serious contenders for me when I was shopping, so I really didn't take a good look at them.

I think many didn't see a direct competitor for the Venza earlier this year. The real cross-shopping going forward is going to be the new '10 Outback and the soon to be released Crosstour. They all promise a more car-like look and ride with higher level of interior finish.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Will someone explain what "cross-shopping" is? Also, what is a F/awd car? I don't see those terms except in this forum. Thanks
    Cross shopping is basically considering one vehicle model versus another. It's quite rare that only one vehicle meets one's needs or wants, so you go out and compare the options from brand to brand.
    FWD =front wheel drive
    AWD = all wheel drive
    F/AWD is a bit less established. I've seen it used to mean front bias part time AWD sometimes and at others to mean front or AWD versions in the same vehicle.
    AWD = a form of part-time 4WD that automatically engages the opposite drive wheels but only in conditions wherein the surface is deemed, determined, to be of a nature that would not result in a significant level of driveline windup, tire scrubbing, surface of low tractivity. Probably best, better, defined for purposes of buyer understanding as either F/awd or R/awd.

F/awd = a vehicle that is based on an otherwise FWD vehicle and:

A) Primarily drives only the front wheels. Examples = Ford Escape, Mazda CX-7, Toyota Venza, 2010 RX350.

or:

B. Provides continuous drive to all 4 wheels but normally with POOR drive coupling to the rear wheels. Definite front wheel drive BIAS, say 95/5, in highly tractive conditions. Examples = Chrysler T&C minivan, RX300.

or:

C. A system wherein all wheels are driven at an equal level provided all four wheels have roughly equal surface traction. Otherwise, disparate traction, TC is used to sustain a high level of engine traction. Examples = Toyota Highlander, Sienna, and RX330.

Have I missed one..??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe ... maybe not. I can't keep up.

Toyota 4WD systems explained

And if that's not bad enough, there's this:

4WD & AWD systems explained

Enjoy. :)
    thanks, hard to know what each manufacturer is giving you and if it even works!

This old video shows that. It was in your link,

utube comparison
    More importantly, does it work for what you want. Get out and try them in the situations you want the AWD for. Gravel, snow, ice or just better handling in emergency situations. Unfortunately, deep snow can be very difficult to try because dealers don't like sending their cars out in that weather.
    My favourite first step is rapid acceleration from a stop into a right hand turn while sitting on a loose surface (snow or gravel). Forget the mechanics of the AWD, you'll see and feel the real world differences instantly. And for anyone who thinks it's an artificial test, I do it almost every morning as I turn off my residential street onto a busy boulevard with fast moving traffic. Road surface at that STOP sign is glazed ice about 4 months of the year.
    "..rapid acceleration from a stop into a right turn..."

Hmmmm....

See "..turn onto.." just beyond halfway down this post.

.[quote=camrtm3;2942032]Hello everyone,

I have recently acquired a 04 Lexus RX 330 with 31K on it and all the goodies possible for it. Right now do to me still being a student and the crazy insurance premium that I would have me and my dad decided to share it for the time and put it under his name.

Anyway, the issue is when the car is in motion and occasionally from a dead stop you can hammer the gas pedal, and go at it aggressively then a normal acceleration and the damn this wont move.:ugh3: The first time I noticed it was I was getting on I-83 and i could merge into this one spot if i got up to speed quickly. So I pushed the pedal all the way down.......and the SUV just was like im going to take my time on this. Was very dangerous!

[b]In the circumstance you describe the DBW/e-throttle firmware is intentionally designed to NOT allow the engine to begin increasing RPM and/or torque levels until the transaxle has completed a downshift, REQUIRED downshift, as a result of the "new" gas pedal position. The delay is usually only on the order of 1-2 seconds but highly notable, and inherently HAZARDOUS in the wrong circumstance.

"..occasionally from a dead stop.."

There is likely NO FWD or F/awd vehicle in the market today that when coasting down, or even braking down, to a dead stop will begin shifting down into 1st gear automatically until a few hundred milliseconds AFTER the vehicle has come to a FULL/complete stop. Then allow a second or 2 for the downshift to complete. To do so would simply increase the HAZARDS of FWD an/or F/awd vehicle operating, POTENTUALLY operating, on a slippery roadbed surface.

There are many posts here and abouts wherein owners of these vehicles are complaining of loss of braking power, or a "lunge" forward at 10-5 MPH during coastdowns, braking or no. This is mostly the result of a new technique being used to extend FE via the use "fuel cut" procedures. As you coastdown from a higher speed with the throttle fully closed the engine's fuel flow will be cut completely. Then to prevent an inadvertent engine stall the transaxle is downshifted, accordingly, as roadspeed declines. Except at ~10-5MPH the resulting engine braking, engine braking on the FRONT, could potentually prove to be HAZARDOUS should it happen that the roadbed be slippery. So, not only is the engine NOT to downshift to 1st and was often the case in days gone past, but an upshift often occurs.

As you may note the same hazards do not exist, do not equally exist, for RWD an/or R/awd so the downshift to 1st for those vehicles may be as always.
    [/b]

The time my father noticed it, he was at a dead stop at a stop sign. He saw a gap on the road he was going to turn onto and once again he pressed the accelerator about 3/4 the way down and the SUV again decided to takes its time moving. Once again very dangerous!

[b]"..turn onto.." "...pressed the accelerator.."

There is an aspect of the control system, VSC/TRAC, that will NOT allow a rapid acceleration into a tight turn from a dead stop. Anti-rollover functionality or maybe even pre-emptive action against the STRONG potential for loss of directional control when asking the front tires to perform, at HIGH level, both functions, lateral and longitudinal traction, simultaneously. In any case, SOP (my '01 F/awd RX300 does this), you MUST fully lift the gas pedal in order to regain throttle control.[/b]

I will admit, I have gotten used to this issue and found ways to drive the RX to compensate for this problem... However my dad is not so lucky with this. He went from my 96 V6 Camry which is cable throttle to his 05 4Runner

[b]First, the 4runner is a R/awd vehicle and therefore it is NOT as likely to need pre-emptive dethrottling of the engine to prevent loss of directional control in the stated instance. I think I have read somewhere that the 4runner, when in R/awd mode, even begins removing engine torque from the front wheels, dedicating them to lateral traction, in this very circumstance.

Second, the 4runner' engine and transmission are mounted longitudnally so there was no need back in '98 to begin squeezing and/or eliminating transaxle components altogether due to the limited space and need for GROWING transaxle fucntionality[/b]

which is throttle by wire, and expected to have no problems since you can barely tell the difference in response between the 4runnerlongitudinallyfunctionality and the Camry.

We have talked to some shops to get their thoughts and they said three is something wrong, but that they do not know what it could be. Also there is no Engine Check Light at all except on start up the car and normal diagnostics check. I'm about to take it to a dealer to get them to check it, was hoping to get some ideas here first. My thoughts are there is some issue with the transmission controller, Traction Control, throttle body and wire harnesses, or the AWD Controller.

Thanks[/quote]

Google for:

wwest abolition hesitation -dfg

for more detailed info.
    Exactly.
    Keep in mind, these VDC/TC systems are always about a balance between power and control. The Toyo system is the most intrusive and control biased I have driven and there are many complaints about that on various boards.
    It's why my personal car is a Subaru. The trade-off, as CR loves to point out is that I can oversteer the Subaru if I'm too aggressive. It comes back almost instantly and I know the threshold so it's not a surprise and doesn't bother me. Toyotas are extremely hard to wash the back end, and therefore are preferred by the many people who have spent their entire driving life with FWD. Some will have a fit when they fish-tail and have no idea what to do when it happens. I also think some of those same drivers tend to be more abrupt on the accelerator. FWD doesn't punish that in poor traction the way RWD or AWD can so they've never learned to be gentle on initial throttle. In many cases, those driving habits are partly to blame for the VSC kicking in. FWIW my wife knows the rear end traction threshold too, and she never slides in the Subaru.
    Toyota is simply reacting, correctly, to the fact that the general driving public is dumbing down more and more as each day goes by.
    It would seem that Toyota is providing a system that doesn't work as claimed. The 07 Highlander has full time 4wd with traction control but the video shows their system won't move the Highlander when the front wheels spin.
    Is that reacting?
    "..is that reacting?.."

Absolutely...!!

The more the public has dumbed down the easier it si to sell non-functional features.

The Toyota Highlander, Sienna, and the Lexus RX series have not had a functional F/awd system.....FOREVER....!!

There is, can be no, full time 4WD.

But, in a literal sense the system that Toyota uses in the Highlander & Sienna, and Lexus in the RX series truly is full-time 4WD. Virtually useless full-time 4WD but full-time 4WD none-the-less.

But that's how Toyota's marketing gets away with misleading the buying public so vey easily. Marketing is not lying and the buying public is in the belief that if it says 4WD then that's what they need.

How can that be explained, reconcilled..??

The Toyota 4WD system as used above is 4WD just as long as one doesn't have need of REAL 4WD.
  • myspringermyspringer Member Posts: 13
    No one at the dealer knows how to operate it.

Are the doors suppose to lock automatically when you walk away from the vehicle with the smart key in your pocket or purse???.

I just bought the AWD V today
    I would be worried if my dealer couldn't explain how the Smart Key works...

To lock the doors without touching the Smart Key, you need to touch the indentations on the upper or lower left side of the exterior driver or passenger door handle after all the doors are closed.
    The 2010 F/awd RX350 has a 4WD "lock" mode, manual switch, but I cannot find an indication that the Venza is so equipped.
    I think instead of calling the public dumb it is more of a case of they are more misinformed by the media, marketing and so called experts. It becomes a who do you believe. Based just on what I've seen and heard in this forum it would seem Toyota is perpetrating a big fraud on the public. Traction control?
    Even the video I posted here was done by Subaru so how does anyone know if this was done on the up and up?
    Buyer beware, my 07 Highlander isn't was I thought was. I am now putting an asterisk on the Venza which is on my short list and maybe not for long.
    Better phrase is that the public is ignorant. Fewer and fewer people know what's going on under their hood or undercarriage anymore. Partly because we are more apathetic and partly because of the technology. Everything has become 'black box' and we have to trust the info that the manufacturer provides unless someone takes everything apart or tests it.
    I myself am not a fan of SC/TC/ABS mediated AWD systems for deep snow traction. Rear LSD are typically thought of as track options only these days, but they also work very well in deep snow. I was disappointed as Subaru has now dropped them from all but their STi - their top sport model. Even many faithful Subaru owners were unaware when it was removed from each model, and Subaru certainly didn't advertise it.
    Yes, the Subaru could climb that ramp, but on the detrimental side having "symmetrical" AWD gives it its own set of shortcomings insofar as safety is concerned. I'd much rather have a simple RWD and be forced to use chains in those circumstances.

"... misinformed by the media..."

And who do you think supplies the DUMBED DOWN media reporter, editors and editorialists with the base material...?
    Subaru has probably opted to virtualize the rear LSD using "TC", as has the rest of the automotive world, inclusive of Porsche. Off-track you would be hard put to tell the difference.

But I'm with you, when more traction is required I put rear chains on my '01 F/awd RX300 and then add the fronts as matters dictate. I can't say I'm against VSC, just wish it were more like PSM on my 911. TC is NEVER of any reasonable use on my '92 LS400 (RWD) except as a forewarning of roadbed conditions for which I had not taking notice.

On the other hand I have no doubt that TC on a FWD or F/awd vehicle can be and often is a life-saver.

And I think ABS should be modified such that it does not activate unless VSC indicates a need.

In my personal opinion it would be rather nice if ONLY the rear brakes were applied initially as long as moderate to hard braking was not required nor ABS activating. Could be a real life-saver in wintertime and "no harm no foul" otherwise.
    I think instead of calling the public dumb it is more of a case of they are more misinformed by the media, marketing and so called experts.

Your skepticism of "so called experts" should extend to forums such as this one...

All of this ranting and raving about traction control and AWD across various manufacturers and what allegedly is and isn't happening has been interesting, but can it be moved to a more appropriate forum? Please?
    ....can it be moved to a more appropriate forum? Please?

Are you the moderator here? Anyway, I'm done. Sometimes discussions go down paths that don't please everyone.
    I think the topic of how Venza's AWD system works is very pertinent and important. If potential buyers think they are getting a 4WD system like the Lexus 570 has, then they are mistaken and need to re-examine. It is also then reasonable to examine the particulars of the AWD systems in the competitors to see if they are any better. I knew nothing about different AWD systems when I first joined these boards years ago. In the interval I have gained valuable knowledge about it both directly and by promoting me to seek information elsewhere. I really do think that to be the purpose of these discussions.
    The Toyota 4WD systems explained discussion would be a better place to continue the AWD talk, since most of us really don't care all that much about the details on these systems.
    "..since most of us really don't care all that much about the details on these systems..."

"..most of us.."

Really...??

Then most of "us" should wake up and smell the....."roses".

Maybe ignorance is BLISS.

Until the day arrives that what you didn't know, didn't wish to know, didn't think you needed to know, jumps up and bites you in the....

Well, you know.

Did you read the post immediately prior to yours or were you composing yours as the previous one was being posted..??
    Yeah, I read it.

It's the tires. :shades:

We're boring the people shopping for a new Venza, so let's move on please.
    Are you the moderator here? Anyway, I'm done. Sometimes discussions go down paths that don't please everyone.

Does it take the title of "moderator" to make a suggestion to those who've strayed off topic? If so, then disregard my previous message.

Go ahead. Keep complaining away about the ignorant public, misleading marketers, and everything else related to AWD/4WD systems. I'll just move on elsewhere to a site where the discussion is actually about the Venza.
    I tried reading your link from the Sequioa forum but it is very confusing since three different systems are intertwined and it started in 2001.

I am very interested in a Venza and before spending $30,000 on a new vehcle I would like to know what I'm getting.

Sorry if I bored you.
    It is confusing. I found it helpful to start at post #1 and get an overview, and then not try to get too overloaded with details after that. For the newest models, it helps to start your own thread in there and ask how it's different or changed/improved.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I like a little discussion of the AWD in the Venza and I think it is appropriate here. If I think the post is too detailed for my needs or time then I skip it and move to the next one. Seems like we don't need to force topics off the page if everyone can do their own editing.
  • bobquebecbobquebec Member Posts: 14
    Hello macpro
    Thanks for the link. I really liked the video. I will be leasing this vehicle in 2010.

Have a great day
    Robert
  • stevei54stevei54 Member Posts: 5
    Did you end up getting the TPMS Sensors from Tirerack as well? What size were the tires - just checking on how close the rolling area is vs. the Orignial tires - just purchased an AWD I4 and looking to get a set of winter tires/rims -- but learning more about TPMS and the least expensive way to get them on and working - having checked out how the recalbriation works or the cost when you do the winter summer swap and rotations.

thanks for any education you can provide.

Steve in Vermont
  • rdeasonrdeason Member Posts: 11
    I took a DVD down to my Venza and tried everything I could and it would not read the disc. I reread the manual and there is a screenshot of the screen showing a DVD option alongside the CD, SAT, AM, AUX etc. This does not show on my screen. I emailed Toyota asking why both the salesperson and the manual says that you can do something that you can't. This is not my first contact with Toyota regarding this Nav/Stereo/Bluetooth unit. I suggested that since I purchased an early production model that my Nav unit might be an older unit. I am waiting for a reply. They have been prompt in the past so they I will probably hear from them in a few days. I will post their reply.
    One of the best sellers this year so far....

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1160/15-cars-fueling- -the-auto-recovery/

I have my Venza since Feb 2009. I have nothing but positive about this car. What about you?
    I believe the DVD tab is enabled if you have the entertainment console option.
  • linersliners Member Posts: 19
    I have had my V-6, AWD since Feb 1 and have just turned 17,000 miles. It has been a great vehicle. With 70 percent of driving around town and the balance on interstate at 75 to 80 mph, I continue to very happy with fuel mileage or 22 and 27/28 mpg. I have absolutely no issues and get compliments all the time on color and wheels.
  • rdeasonrdeason Member Posts: 11
    After re-reading the manual I see that. This was not what I was told by my salesperson, a nice person but obviously uninformed. Thanks for your reply.
  • sallen10sallen10 Member Posts: 30
    Test driving a 2009 Venza AWD V6. Offered at $585 below invoice (dealer holdback I believe.) I like it but the passenger Air Bag light stays lit in the top center area. Usually, these warning lights go off after a bit. Is this supposed to stay lit or is it not sensing the seated passenger? If this stays lit this is a deal breaker as it is too distracting particularly at night. I didn't think to check if it stays lit without a passenger.
  • sallen10sallen10 Member Posts: 30
    Test driving a 2009 Venza AWD V6. Offered at $585 below invoice (dealer holdback I believe.) I like it but the Daytime Running Lights are not on with the switch in the auto position and its daytime. The auto switch did turn on the headlights once it got dark. The owners manual said there is a switch to turn off the DRL but the manual did not give the switches location. Any help?
    The passenger airbag light should go off after a few seconds. The only correct reason for the light to stay on is weight in the passenger seat.
    I am not aware of any switch to turn off the DRL's. Mine are on in daylight in the auto position. Perhaps they go off when the trans. is in park or neutral. I have never paid any attention to this. Or perhaps, the vehicle was destined for Canadian delivery where there are different criteria regarding DRL's