Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 and Earlier Jaguar XF Lease Questions

Comments

• jwiz1jwiz1 Member Posts: 8
    I have had a somewhat similar experience. My current S-Type lease is up in August, but Jaguar sent a letter saying that they would pay the final 2 months lease payments if I buy or lease a new Jag by June 30 and take delivery by August 31. I have been looking at the XF and went in to investigate. The dealer was able to go several thousand below invoice on both the 2009 Lux and Prem Lux (to around $43K for a Lux including the sound system and cold weather package options - MSRP around $54K and around $46K for a Prem. Lux - about $58K MSRP). I wanted to continue leasing, but found the lease terms terrible when compared to other luxury brands (31% residual and .0023 MF (about 5.5% which is okay but not below market) for 48 months and 12K miles or 36% residual for 36 months). This was through US Bank which I was told had a better program than Chase.

When I said I would be better off just buying the car outright, I was told that Chase and US Bank would not finance it at their incentive rates at that price. I said "fine - then I will just buy it outright and worry about the financing myself. Then I was told that they could not sell the car at that price because they are receiving a large incentive for 2009 leases that they are willing to pass on to me, but there is no incentive available to the dealer if it is not leased.

So it looks like you can either drive down the price $5 to 6K or more below invoice and put up with crappy lease terms that jacks your payment back up, or you can get better financing or lease terms but without the price break.

I have used this dealer for years and trust him and he really went to the mat to squeeze every penny out of the cost of the car, but he said his hands were tied by the leasing companies as to what lease terms he could offer if the incentive payment was taken. And I understand why he cannot sell the car at such a low price without the incentive payment. So I am running all of the different options to see what is best. Also waiting to see what the June leasing rates are for both Chase and US Bank (does anyone know?). I have no issue with the dealer as he is really working hard with the hand he has been dealt and I will likely purchase from him as soon as I figure out the best deal including going outside of the Jag financing world.

I am in the Chicago area. Has anyone seen this elsewhere? Even with the lousy residual, the lease payment is not too bad because the capital cost is so low. But I sure wish it was easier to compare all of the alternatives. Also, it does appear that US Bank is offering a Jag leasing program along with Chase - at least in this area.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I was going to suggest that you lease, then buy out the lease after about six months.. Then you'd only be out the acquisition fee, as an extra...

But, then I noticed you were in Chicago... You'd have to pay the full sales tax twice, which would negate most, if not all, of your savings...

Not that familiar with Jaguar leases, but Volvo has the same sort of programs.... Massive incentives if you lease through a 3rd party, but not if you purchase. It really makes no sense to me.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• green33green33 Member Posts: 8
    forum members,

just wrapped up a lease on a 2009 prem lux with msrp of 58.5 k. i found the same issue as noted recently on this forum, they will not sell the car for anywhere close to the discount they will give you to lease it but the mf and residual suck. by far the best 2 prices i found were from patrick of fleetrates.com and jaguar of troy, michigan.

i am curious about the last post and buying out the lease at 6 months. i am in indiana. what would be involved in that process?

thanks
    You might be able to pull it off.. Indiana taxes the monthly payment, right?

Assume that a vehicle is $50k on a purchase, but $45K for a lease.. If you buy it, you'll finance $53K ($50K + 6%tax) for 60 months @ 5% = $1000/mo.

If you lease it, assume a CAP cost of $46K (to account for acq.fee), You'll probably have a payment around $930/mo., including tax (just estimating).
    After six months, you should have a buyout of around $42K (or less.. assuming some fees..). Adding tax, finance about $44,500 for 54 months.. for a payment of around $922/mo..

So, basically, you'll knock around $70-$75/mo. off the purchase cost over the five years.. You'll save the $5K incentive, but you'll be out the acquisition fee, and possibley some other transaction costs.. A net gain of around $4K.

This is a general description... you'd have to do the actual numbers to get a more accurate calculation.. Possible issues: Third-party bank lease... Can you pay off after six months with no penalty?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jwiz1jwiz1 Member Posts: 8
    Well I finally worked it all out and leased a Premium Luxury XF with the B&W sound system and Sirius, Warm Climate Pack, Advanced Vision Pack, and Heated Steering Wheel. MSRP $58,850. Taking the big discount and poor lease terms turned out to be better than passing up the big discount but getting better lease terms. Here is the deal..........

1. Jaguar picked up my last 2 payments on my existing S-Type lease as well as the disposition fee - total a little under $1,800.
    2. The price paid for the XF Prem. Lux. was $47,850. After sales tax (on the entire purchase price upfront in Illinois), acquisition fee, title, and license, less $1,000 down, the payment is $857 (48 month, 12K miles, 30% residual, .0023 (i.e., 5.52%) money factor). This was offered through US Bank.
    3. If I passed up the incentive discount in order to get better lease terms (through Chase I presume), the payment would have been higher. Assuming I could have purchased the car at $1,000 over invoice (invoice was $53,851) and kept the same money factor, the residual for a 48 month, 12K/year lease would have had to be 43% to keep the same payment. I have not seen that high of a residual for a 48 month 12K lease anywhere.
    4. The quirky Illinois sales tax system also plays an important part in all of this since sales tax is paid upfront on the entire purchase price of the car (not just the portion used up during the lease term) and then again on the residual should you decide to buy it at the end of the lease term. So it is much better to have a low residual and low purchase price vs a high residual and high purchase price even if the payments are identical (i.e., the depreciable amount is the same). In my case, if I were to buy the car at the end of the lease, the sales tax savings in total would be close to $1,100.

Have had the car for a week. What a great ride! A significant upgrade over the S-Type that it replaces in the Jaguar lineup.
  • faith23faith23 Member Posts: 3
    I am sooo confused by everything. I live in PA. and we have 6% tax. I am looking to lease a 2009 Jaguar Luxury XF. The only extra I would like is the Cold Climate Package. I was quoted for a basic Jaguar with nothing extra $699.00 including tax and $2500 down. Is this a great deal...good deal..? HELP. I want to get into this car for the best deal, that's why I waited so long. What should I be paying a month?
    The tax on lease payments in PA is 3% higher, for 9% total. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• t_girlt_girl Member Posts: 2
    Leasing has changed dramtically and iff you are used to leasing you are looking for some great residual at the end so that your payment is lower! If you are not going through a company that leases like Infiniti, Audi or Lexus, the banking residuals stink!
    How many of actually buy the car at the end of the lease? So who do you think eats the differance for what the bank says the car is worth and what it will acutally bring at auction?
    I have been dealing with a Jaguar Sales Guide, who used to work for Saturn...yeah you know the one price store. Honesty...
    She said that everyone she meets is so focused on the cap cast reduction and the residual, becuase they have been leasing for years and like most smart people, want to know where thier money is, but what no one gets is that all of those Denalis, Cadilacs, Yukons and other "gas guzzling" cars were leased and when the gas prices went up the vehicles were worth half.
    I'm a nurse and I work hard for my money. I'll admit that I usually buy my cars and run them into the ground, then I got into leasing. Now I want to buy again and leasing the XF for 36months and then buying it at 2.9% finacing is a no brainer. That residual being so low makes the car worth buying.
    I think that the problem is car sales people are scared and things are lean so if they don't take the time to explain things and help us through the changes, they fudge it and that is frustration.
    :)
  • t_girlt_girl Member Posts: 2
    It stinks, but it is a user tax. you only pay tax on what you "use". so you only pay tax on part of the selling price of the car not the whole thing. You can't beat the governor. My friend in NJ pays 7%, but has to pay it all up front! So money down is the tax!
  • sai1sai1 Member Posts: 23
    Just got the following quote. Is this a good deal? It's a no money down, 36 month, 12K/year lease on a 2009 premium luxury with advanced vision package. Will appreciate any feedback.

MSRP 56,975.00
    LEASE TERM 36 MONTHS
    LEASE END VALUE % 39.00%
    LEASE FACTOR 0.00212
    INITIAL CAP COST 44,803.00
    ACQ DOC ACC 840.00
    TOTAL MILES 36k
    MILAGE PENALTY RATE 0.18
    LEASE END VALUE $ 22,220.00
    CALIF TIRE FEE 8.75
    LIC & REG 603.00
    AMT DUE AT START 1479.74
    BASE MONTHLY RATE 794.50
    MONTHLY TAX @ 9.25% 73.49
    TOTAL MONTHLY PAYMENT 867.99
  • larvidlarvid Member Posts: 4
    which bank is that lease thru sai1? I got a quote of $895 for bank fee (US Bank) which is pretty high, and everyone should beware, that US Bank lease also include an end of lease disposition fee of approx $395..they get you coming and going!!! i just signed off on a lease for 39 months for a 2009 premium with cold weather. MSRP of $50,775, 15,000 miles/yr; no money down, taxes etc upfront for $644/month. seems like quite a deal, compared to what I am seeing out there.
    Thanks Larvid. This is a US bank lease. Thanks for the tip .. I'll make sure I clarify with my dealer. Can u also please share details of your lease .. want to compare residual, money factor and CAP Cost.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi sai1. Here's the latest lease program that I have seen for the cars that you're interested in.

Chase's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury with 15,000 miles per year are .00023 and 51%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 XF Luxury are .00015 and 52%.

I believe that the 12,000 mile per year residual values for leases through Chase are 2% higher than its 15k residuals.

Chase's current 24 month, 15k buy rate lease money factor and residual value for the 2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged are .00015 and 55%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    sai 1

that is an ok rate for that lease. but you can get that car for those terms at 799/ month including the tax. i just did. if you are in the midwest call jaguar of troy michigan speak to russ. or nationally patrick with fleetrates.com will get it delivered to your house. also if you are coming off a current lease jaguar will pay up to 1500 dollars of your last 2 lease payments

also to car man that 24 month chase lease unfortunately does not have the same favorable cap cost reduction so despite the favorable residual and mf the starting cap cost they will give you on that lease is at least 6k higher than the us bank lease program. thus making that 24 month lease less favorable.

just my experiences in leasing/negotiating over the last 6 weeks with multiple dealers here in the midwest and also nationally
    mike
    grab33@yahoo.com
    Thanks Car_man. As Mike said, the Chase lease is un-subvened i.e. doesn't offer the CAP cost reduction, so turns out to be more expensive (at least that's what I was told). If you have the info, could you please share the current lease rates for US Bank (24 and 36 months for 12K and 15K miles per year)?
    Hi Mike,

Would you mind sharing the details of your lease (particularly CAP Cost, Residual and Money factor). I'm in California, so the higher tax rate might be a factor here as well. Still it would be useful for me to compare terms, since you seem to have done quite a bit of research before buying. Thanks in advance for your help.
    sai 1
    i am on vacation so i don't have the contract with me however, i leased a 2009 premium luxury xf for 39 months with 15k/yr. the msrp on the car was approx 58.5k. my payment is 799/month. this includes the tax in indiana which is 7% paid on each monthly payment so the actual monthly is about 740 before tax. out of pocket was the first month, the acq fee which was 799 and some title/doc fees the total was approx 1800. i did get back 1500 for my last 2 payments from jaguar. i hope this helps. i would strongly encourage you to call patrick teague at fleetrates.com. although i ended up getting the car from the dealer he was able to get me the best price by far and can get cars anywhere in the country. if you need more info email me.

mike
  • larvidlarvid Member Posts: 4
    here are further details of my lease (NY)
    39month, taxes fees paid upfront
    MSRP: $50,775
    Purchase price: $38,217
    Residual: 37%
    Money Factor: .00247
    US Bank fee: $895
    monthly lease payment $644
  • jadantjadant Member Posts: 1
    Would like to know where you got the .0015 money factor. The quote I got was a .00224 MF on a 48 month lease with 32% residual on a Supercharged the CAP was 20% below MSRP from a dealership. Anybody seen a Silver with Charcoal interior Supercharged? Also if I were to buy from a dealership in another state and pick it up from that dealership do I have to pay that states sales tax (Live in OR and don't have sales tax)?
  • larvid1larvid1 Member Posts: 5
    the lease deal i posted above, is for 15k miles per year
  • jerryijerryi Member Posts: 5
    Hi

I was looking at a 2009 Luxury Premium with the Bowers and Wilkins and Spice packages. MSRP is 60,350 and Edumunds has the invoice just under 54k

I was told Jaguar is offering around 10K lease cash & was offered the following

Based on a price of 46,000

48 months
    12k/yr
    16,898 residual
    9000 down payment

599 + tax/month
    Never having leased before and not going into the dealership with that in mind , I didn't really know what questions to be asking

is this a good deal? and what questions should I be bringing up?

Thanks

Jerry
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    $9K down payment? Never put money down on a lease.
  • tguerinotguerino Member Posts: 22
    Looking for the residual and money factor on a 24 month and 36 month lease with 12,000 miles per year on a 2010 XFR. Thanks!
    You're welcome, sai1. I haven't seen the US Bank lease program. I'll ask around and see if I can find anything out about it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi jadant. Vehicles' lease money factors vary by term. As such, 24 month lease, which I was talking about in the post that you are referencing, would have a different money factor than a 48 month lease would.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello tguerino. Here's the information that you're looking for. I believe that Chase's current buy rate lease money factor for a 24 month lease of a 2010 Jaguar XFR is .00321 and that its 36 month factor is .00293, but I haven't seen its residual values yet. I'll ask around and see if I can find anything out.

Car_man
    Host
  • tguerinotguerino Member Posts: 22
    Thanks Car_Man. Let me know if you find out the residuals or any other rates. Thanks!
  • babybeansbabybeans Member Posts: 12
    '09 Premium Luxury w/ Bowers Wilkins
    48mos/15kmiles/yr
    MSRP: 58,825
    Neg Price: 46,956
    MF: .00214
    Residual: 27% End Value $15,882
    $808 monthly incl tt&l
    no money down

Good deal? Residual on this deal is horrible. Any room to work a better deal?
  • leaseguruleaseguru Member Posts: 4
    I have found the XF almost unleaseable unless you don't care about paying over $1,000/month for a 55K car. My lease is almost up on my 530xi and am looking at a 2010 BMW 535xDrive, E350 Mercedes and the Jag XF. I just got done negotiating sales prices last week (don't negotiate monthly payments always sales price of car).

15k miles
    No cost cap reduction

XF - $1,063/Mos
    E350 - $840/Mos (I'm still working them over a little and expect to get this down below $800
    535xDrive - $778/Mos

The residual along with money factors are horrible on the Jag. I don't have those numbers in front of me right now but will post them later.

Good Luck
    You're very welcome, tguerino.

Car_man
    Host
  • chamblcjchamblcj Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have lease information on the 2010's now that they're on the lots? I'm looking at a Premium this weekend that's right around $60K in Houston. I'm also looking at a Benz E550 and I'm trying to figure out if I'll be wasting my time with Jag because of their lease rates.
    Any input is appreciated.
  • stever6stever6 Member Posts: 1
    I am in Houston and in same situation,,,,,,what did you find or end up doing,,,would like to lease? TIA
  • chamblcjchamblcj Member Posts: 2
    Dealer was willing to discount the selling price by about $2000 only since it's a 2010, but the lease rate came back at $1249 / month for 36 months. He acknowledged that's ridiculous, but Jaguar doesn't have the same type of lease incentives as Mercedes and BMW. Jag can't compete on lease rates unfortunately. I'm better off financing or leasing another BMW.
    Good luck if you move forward. Maybe waiting until X-mas time will be a better deal.
  • greenie7greenie7 Member Posts: 12
    Here is the latest Chase lease on an XF Portfolio with an MSRP of $62,875.00. 36 months and 12K a year. $1094.57/mo including tax with $3254.00 due at inception. You should be able to get between 5-6k off of MSRP. Residual is $33,390.00.
  • dchamp72dchamp72 Member Posts: 25
    I received the following lease quote for a 2010 XF w/ Portfolio package. The sticker is $61,000 and that is what the quote is based on. Please let me know your thoughts on the quote and what you think I can get the cap cost down to. Any information is much appreciated.

Itemization of Payment

Agreed Value: 59,950.00
    a) Gross Capital Cost 61,257.00
    b) Capital Cost Reduction -2,878.40
    c) Adjusted Capital Cost 58,378.60
    d) Residual 31,720.00
    e) Depreciation Charge 26,658.60
    f) Rent Charge 7,006.08
    g) Total of base MP 33,664.68
    h) Lease Term 36
    i) Base MP 935.13
    j) Monthly Tax 28.05
    k) Personal Prop Tax 0.00
    l) Excise Tax 0.00
    m) Other Amounts 0.00
    n) Total MP 963.18

Itemization of Gross Capital Cost

a) Agreed Value: 59,950.00
    b) AcquisitionFee 795.00
    c) GAP Insurance 0.00
    d) Document Fee 0.00
    e) Warranty 0.00
    f) Upfront Sales Tax 0.00
    g) Service Tax 0.00
    h) Cash Down Tax 0.00
    i) Trade In Tax 0.00
    j) Finance Tax 0.00
    k) Tire Tax 0.00
    l) Lic., Insp., Title, Reg. Fees 0.00
    m) Other Fees 512.00
    n) Total Capital Cost 58,378.60
    Itemization of Amount Due at Signing

a) Total Capital Cost Reduction 2,878.40
    -Cap Reduction (Cash) 2,878.40
    -Rebates 0.00
    -Trade-In 0.00
    b) Tax on Capital Cost Red. 88.42
    c) First Monthly Payment 963.18
    d) Last Monthly Payment(s) 0.00
    e) Refundable Security Deposit 0.00
    f) Acquisition Fee 0.00
    g) Gap Insurance 0.00
    h) Documentation Fee 0.00
    i) Monthly Tax (Upfront) 0.00
    j) Upfront Tax (not in Capital Cost) 0.00
    k) Service Tax (not in Capital Cost) 0.00
    l) Tire Tax (not in Capital Cost) 0.00
    m) Lic., Insp., Title, Reg. Fees 69.00
    n) Other Fees 0.00
    o) Total Due at Signing 3,999.00

How the Amount Due at Signing will be Paid

a) Net Trade-In Value 0.00
    b) Rebates/Credits 0.00
    c) Amount Paid in Cash 3,999.00
    d) Total Due at Signing 3,999.00
    Mileage Allowance

The monthly payment and residual for this lease has been calculated using the following mileage allowance. You are allowed to drive 12,000 per year, 1,000 miles per month. If you exceed the mileage allowance for the lease term and do not purchase the Vehicle, you will pay 0.30 for each excess mile.
  • adampastadampast Member Posts: 1
    looking to lease a 2010 jaguar xf no special packages. What, if any, are the specials running now for leases? what should i expect the residual value to be?
    Hi adampast. This car's lease program varies by term and mileage allowance. You never mentioned what either of these variables are, so for now I will make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

Chase's (Jag is running its specials through them now) October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2010 XF with 15,000 miles per year are .00164 and 49%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    Are they the same for all models? I am interested in XF Supercharged.
  • alexander60alexander60 Member Posts: 3
    I am confused, but perhaps that is because I have never leased before.

I am interested in leasing an XF (don't know which model) for 36 months and don't intend to keep the car after that. Jaguar appears to offer nationally a 36 month lease offer until the end of the month: $599 per mo, 10,000 miles per year, up to 30K miles, overage 30cents per mile, but $5,393 at signing, plus tax title fees--, or an XF Premium for $699 per month. Why is no one mentioning this offer? Does the $5393 make this a bad deal? (it is broken down to $795 acquisition fee and first months's payment and $3999 down).
    What are you confused with?
    Lease a 2010 Jaguar XF Luxury for $599*/mo
    36 Month Lease. 10,000 Miles per Year. $3,995* Cap Cost Down. MSRP: $52,000.
    - or -
    Lease a 2010 Jaguar XF Luxury for $699*/mo
    42 Month Lease. 10,000 Miles per Year. $0* Cap Cost Down. MSRP: $52,000.

It is for the base model. The latter is a little it cheaper but is for a longer period (3.5 years vs. 3 years). The rule is "no money down" on a lease. So the 36 moths lease should be done as $0 Cap Cost too and will end up being about $720 per month.
    Premium seems to be $100 per month more, so it about $820 with no money down.
    Thanks; more details. Now the dealer (not Jaguar USA, but through Chase Bank) is also offering an alternative they feel is better:

$679 per month; 3 1/2 yrs; only bank fee of $975, first month payment plus tax, and tag and title fees due at start. Residual value is 47% of $52,000 ( full sticker price), allowance of 10,000 miles per year, .30 per mile additional, interest rate 4 1/3%, assumed price for calculation is invoice price plus 3%.

Sergey, what do you think about this? Thanks for your advice.
    $679 per month seem to be very good. I would include sales tax into the montly payment instead of paying it upfront for the same reason you do not want to put any money down, in case the car gets stolen or totaled you will not get any of your upfront spent money back. Some people even finance MV fees for the same reason.
  • afm35afm35 Member Posts: 7
    Can anybody tell me what the current residual and money factor is on the XF?
    I am looking at leasing the XF Premium MSRP of $57K for 3 years / 30K miles.
    They are currently advertising a $699/ month payment and $4000 down. Which equates to 810/ month as I know you don't put money down on a lease.
    All thoughts are welcome.
    Thanks.
    Nope, SergeyM, Jag's lease program varies by trim level.

Chase's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 XF Supercharged with 15,000 miles per year are .00276 and 51%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi afm35. Jaguar's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 XF Premium with 10,000 miles per year are .00196 and 54%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • stuartshustuartshu Member Posts: 18
    Looking at a 2010 XF "base" model and pricing out a 36mth 10,000 mile/yr lease
    What is the residual and money factor for this car?
    Is a cap cost of 1k above invoice reasonable?
    Thanks
    Hi stuartshu. Jaguar's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2010 XF with 10,000 miles per year were .00164 and 52%, respectively. I believe that this lease program is scheduled to be the same in November (I can't believe that it's November already).

I personally think that $1,000 over invoice is a reasonable selling price for this car, but dealers in your area might think otherwise ;). All you can do is use that for a target price and comparison shop with a few Jaguar dealers to see if any would be willing to go that low.

Good luck and make sure to let us know how everything turns out.

Car_man
    Host
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Car_man,

Jaguar is advertising a new lease deal on the XF Premium of $699 a month (with $3,999 down). Can you, please provide the residual and money factor details for this program? I'm also interested in how the residual changes for a 12K miles per year selection.

Thank you.
    I am sorry for not posting earlier: about five weeks ago my local dealer gave me the following lease deal: $619 plus tax, 42 months, 15k miles per year. NO money down except first month's payment, no dealer advertising fees (put in at last minute and removed when I demanded it). this was for a 2010 XF with no extra options. I don't have the residual number in front of me. Jag was offering their $599 per month for 36 months, but with the large amount due at signing. To me this seemed like a much better deal. Palm Beach, FL; Let me know if you need more information.
This discussion has been closed.