Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Start Stall and Idle Problems

gatchisongatchison Member Posts: 3
edited April 2020 in Nissan
2003 Nissan Murano
82,000 miles
Oil changes and tire rotation every 5k
BG 44k added 2x/yr
I am always on time with maintenance and have never had a problem.

Problem:

Vehicle stalls when restarting vehicle after being driven

Description:

If the car sits for a while it will start no problem at all. In the morning before work it turns right over, but if I have stop and go errands to do that's when I have issues. After everything is all warmed up and I turn it off I will not be able to get it started. I found that tapping on the gas will keep it from stalling, but if I don't then it dies and lights up.

Previous steps taken:

none

Any suggestions?

Comments

• ljanaskieljanaskie Member Posts: 1
    This message was sent to Nissan:

I would like to report a safety issue with my 2009 Murano. While traveling on I25 in Colorado, traffic was stopped due to an accident up ahead. Traffic was stopped for over 1 hour while the accident was cleared. I shut off the engine while we waited. During this time I got out of the car to stretch with the key fob still in my pocket.
    When the traffic started moving I got in the car and tried to start the engine. I pushed the start button repeatedly, but there was no response from the engine. I the mean time the miles of traffic behind me started moving to get around my stuck Murano. The key fob was still in my pocket but did not seem to be working. This was fast becoming a dangerous situation as I am now stuck in the middle of the interstate with a potential of being struck by others behind me.
    My wife questioned if there was something wrong with the key fob. Remembering what I read in the owners manual about the key fob, I tried putting it in the slot in the dashboard. I press the button and the car started! I was greatly relived to be on my way again. To me this could have ended badly, luckily it didn't.
    I have not encounter any more issues with the key fob since, but thought I should report this as It could be a serious safety flaw.
  • vandiwvandiw Member Posts: 5
    I had the same issue this weekend. Parked the car, keyfob in purse. Came back out, unlocked the car, pushed the button, no response from the engine. All the electronics worked, the car would not start. Tried repeatedly at different intervals without success. I too tried putting the key in the slot with NO success. Finally I called my husband to come with his key. His key was able to start the car. Drove home. Tried my key again, and it worked. The car is going to the dealer on Wed. I am furious however, this car has 5000 miles on it. I was not able to get any help from anyone on this on Saturday. The service department could only suggest towing it to them at my expense.

Anyone heard of any similar issues?
  • desertdivadesertdiva Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone at Nissan or a Nissan dealership determined what is going on with the key fobs? Let us all know what the situation is.
    Just back from the dealer. It happened again at lunch. Came back to the car, and the engine did nothing. After about 20-30 minutes of waiting, I tried it again, and the key worked. Took it directly to the dealer, and they ran diagnoistics. All they could tell me was it said "difference of key." They were unable to explain what that meant. They said there is nothing on record with Nissan about this type of issue. They wanted to reprogram the key, but all the keys have to be done at once. I had to drive home and pick up the extra key, and drive back to get them all reprogramed. I'm off to call Nissan to complain.
  • desertdivadesertdiva Member Posts: 10
    Let us know what Nissan has to say. We've had our 09 Murano just one month. So far, no probs...knock on wood. Would like to be a step ahead of the game, if prob with key fob develops.
  • ron118ron118 Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2009 murano LE with a starting problem. The dealer has adjusted the switch on the break pedal three times, It locks by itself with the tailgate open you can't unlock the doors, dealer said it is normal.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Take it to a qualified mechanic and have it diagnosed and repaired. After 82k trouble free miles, I wouldn't feel too bad about a repair bill.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Not bad advice but it's also nice to have an idea of the possible causes so you don't feel completely in the dark when the mechanic starts telling you what's wrong. That can save you some money in the long run too.
  • gatchisongatchison Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your help! I made an appointment at the dealer to run diagnostics to find out what it is. I figured it might be the alternator, but I want a definite answer. The diagnostics is $70 which I'm not too happy about since they are just plugging in a computer, but hopefully it will answer my question. He also said it could have something to do with the diodes or many other things....

I'll update next Friday after my appointment.
  • gohokieesgohokiees Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 SL Murano started stalling at 38k miles. I took it to my dealership that has performed all of the service since I purchased it off the lot brand new. Of course, the car would not stall for them. I have since taken it back in 3 times for them to look at it. The alternator (under warranty) and battery (my dime) have been replaced and the car still stalls intermittently.

However, in the past few weeks (and at 68k miles), the car will NOT stay running unless I gun the engine immediately after starting it. It happens every time I start my car. It does not matter if the engine is cold or warmed up. I am taking it in this week b/c, in addition to the stalling issue, the driver's seat no longer adjusts on the right track. Randomly one day last week, the seat moved back when I turned off the car and then when I started it up (and gunned it!), a very weird noise came from the beneath the seat. Fortunately, I can reach the peddles enough, but it is inconvenient. No one shorter than I am can drive my car. The seat will move forward on the left track, so the seat just moves diagonally toward the gear shift, while staying fixed on the right track. And nothing is in the right track. I believe the motor burned out on the right side. Ugh!!!

I will keep you posted. Of course, the warranty is over. This was my first Nissan. I had always been a Honda girl, where it was normal to run them to 200k without issues (wear&tear excluded). Is this normal for Nissan?
  • muranogirlmuranogirl Member Posts: 1
    My 03 Murano has the same start/stall issues. I just brought it in and the dealership told me that it wasn't showing any codes, so according to the computer, there's noththing wrong with it. Though the service manager recognized that they didn't fix the problem, he has no idea why the problem is occurring.

Several months ago,, the driver's seat just stopped moving back when you turn the car off.At least I can still position the seat, it just doesn't move like it did when i first got the car.

Please let me know if your dealership has found a reason for the starting/stalling problem. I can deal with the seat for now . . . .
  • c8smomc8smom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Murano and this started happening 3 weeks ago to me. of course I brought it in immediately and it didn't do it. got an oil change and worked fine. they said next time stop in when it happens. that was monday. i filled up gas and noticed that the gauge was not fully moving (thought my gas station ripped me off) then it started acting like it was out of gas sputtering so I drove right there and a mechanic took it out and it did it for him.. had to make an apt for the following tuesday (yesterday) they had it ALL day and it wouldn't do it no codes nothing. I thought it was the fuel pump and they agreed but that is the one thing that doesn't make a code and he said if it was it wouldn't be intermitent like it is they said to run it and see what happens. great going on vacation next week and what am I to do? get AAA??? I have 2 small kids I can't be breaking down.
  • turbonatorturbonator Member Posts: 6
    My 04 Murano has the same problem----fails to idle after it warms up (but it starts ok). Light pressure on the gas peddle keeps it going-----but starts and idles fine if it is cold or sits for awhile.
    Problem started after replacement of the battery????? Wonder what the cause and effect is.
    Took it to the mountains, and never failed to idle when starting, hot or cold. Wondered if it was the altitude??? Came back to Ok, and now the problem is there again. Obviously the 'clean out' from a long trip was NOT the answer. Maybe the low octane gas I use causes the knock sensor to shut it down??? Will try a tank of premium next time gas prices come down.
  • ferraritechferraritech Member Posts: 6
    After several hours of diagnosis, this is what fixed Muranogirl's issue.

I removed the THROTTLE BODY and cleaned it with a can of carb-cleaner. There was a lot of build up, but I did not think this was the root of the problem. I reinstalled the THROTTLE BODY and started the vehicle. This fixed the stalling issue, but not the rough idle.

I removed the THROTTLE BODY again for a closer inspection of the area. What I noticed was a small area on the opening to the intake that was dirty. The metal crush gasket that is between the TB and Intake somehow developed a leak. I could tell because everywhere on the intake where it mates to the throttle was clean except for this small area on the radius. (the stall was probably fixed the first time because I might have caught the gasket just right and stopped most of the leak)

I cut a new gasket out of good gasket material. Reinstalled the TB, reset the ECU of soft codes and started the vehicle. No problem. Idled smooth like when we bought it.

In conclusion: OUR particular problem stemmed from a leak between the throttle body and intake.

Hope this helps.
    If you want to test to see if this is your problem, here's an easy procedure.

Note: Carb Cleaner is highly flammable. Use extreme caution and try to do this with a cool engine. (you can substitute carb cleaner with WD40- result isn't as noticeable)

Get the engine to start and run on its own (if you have to have someone hold the throttle that is fine)

Quick sprays of carb cleaner directly at the area between the throttle body and intake. Get the top, sides, and bottom if you can. If you have a leak there, the engine will stumble and possibly stall.

Next step...go get another gasket. As far as I know, there are no aftermarket fiber gaskets for the Murano. So you will most likely have to go with Nissan's metal crush gasket. I would say this is probably fine, but if it happened once......
    Interesting--------Just received a 'recall' from Nissan about "RECALL-MAY STALL WHILE DRIVING" letter. It says ">>>>a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 2003-2007 model year Nissan Murano vehicles. Under certain conditions, the intake duct, which is connected to the intermediate resonator in the air intake system of the engine, may separate from the resonator with engine movement. this could cause poor acceleration or minor idle fluctuation and, in some instances, could result in the engine stalling while driving. In order to keep this from occurring, we will replace the air intake duct with an updated part and the air duct clamps--------"
    Haven't taken mine in yet, but plan to soon.
    The recall letter is ancient. The car was at Nissan before I decided to deal with it myself. They did this recall per my request. The car would not re-start and stay running in the exit drive of the dealership.
    Well, I'm new here (I saw the recall post earlier today). But it seems to have helped my problem------went out later and car started and idled ok. Never had a problem with it running, just failure to continue to idle after hot restart.
    In your case that may have been the problem, just not ours. Keep us posted on the check engine light after a few days of driving.

Glad your problem was addressed and fixed. Sometimes they bat a thousand.
  • lovepublovepub Member Posts: 11
    take it into Nissan service centre.
    There has been a post regarding NISSAN's problem about this!!
    It's NISSAN's problem~~~~ get it fixed if under warranty.
    They should even do it for free as they are recalling all the ones with this problem!!
    I am in Australia. We dont get all the range models as US.

We have ST and Ti Model.

Ti = top of range with reversing camera.
    I am buying a Ti, and they said the rear parking assist sensor WILL NOT fit due to Ti already have Reverse Camera installed.

Is that TRUE? Why can't the two co-exist at the same time?

Should the dealer be able to install the REAR park assist even though i have the reverse camera there??
    There is a campaign for the ductwork to the throttle. This is not always the issue/or the fix. By all means get free work done to your vehicle. Not all complaints/recall issues found on web sites are real. There is a supposed cam sensor recall for these vehicles that addresses the stalling. In fact this is not a recognized campaign by Nissan North America.

The duct is real.
    So you are saying that because the Ti has a back up camera (which is triggered either by selecting reverse or when something comes within range of the sensors for the camera) that a parking assist sensor will not fit? I would assume because the reverse camera feature is using that location for its sensors.

Why is a parking assist sensor needed if you already can see what is behind you with the factory reverse aid?
    Well, I am not the only one driving this car. Put my wife in current Suzuki Swift, she can drift around it, put her in this SUV, i think she might knock my car's EARS off while driving into our somehow cramped up Carport.

And dont mention about Parking in shopping centres,......I dont trust her.

SO ===> what you mean is that reverse camera already OCCUPY the wire when I put the gear into REVERSE, that's why i can't install the Parking sensor again?

The camera is installed on the tailgate door, above the car plate, while the park sensor is on the bumper. Should not have interfeering problem in terms of Location of installing.

Am i right? or I am wrong?

Thanks for u reply.
  • john408john408 Member Posts: 4
    I too had this same problem 3 times with my 09. Each time it happened i believe it was when I tried to start the engine without the faub. But even after I put the faub back in, it still would not release the brake allowing me to start the engine.,. I think it is an electronic security issue. Sometimes it restores quickly, but one time it took over an hour before the break pedal released and I could start the engine
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    i have a 2003 murano. over the last years, once in a while, perhaps 3-5 times, the car would start in the morning and not keep running. i live in fort lauderdale. this past week end, i had to go to tallahassee and on sat morning, it was 35 degrees and the engine started right up, but would not keep running. i tried to start it at least 6 times, and still it would not run, just start. after about 15 minutes, i tried again and this time it was fine. the next morning, it was about 30 degrees and no problem. just posting the issue for others to hear. no trouble code was set. rr70
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    make sure the key fob is charged up. rr70
  • lonehornlonehorn Member Posts: 1
    Hey lovepub,I am having the same problem with my dealer.he told me that's not compatible.I want to ask you if you have been able to sort out this issue.

Look forward to hear from you.
  • hytydehytyde Member Posts: 2
    Even if the battery dies in the key fob you should be able to insert the key into the ignition to start the car. I have had a few problems lately where the key will not even work to start the car. This is just one of many problems I have had out of my '07 Murano!
  • tmakohntmakohn Member Posts: 2
    I am having problems with my 2009 Murano starting. Trying to find out if anyone that has the same problem has had any answers and has had the problem fixed.
  • txgenietxgenie Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    Hi, I'm so glad I found this page and realize I am not alone on this issue. My 2009 Murano has done this about 4/5 times during the past year. Nissan keeps insisting I'm leaving something on, but after that many ocurrences, I don't think so. Finally, last week, they replaced the battery and said it would be a process of elimination. It has other qorkey things too. I just recently replaced the tires and back brakes which did not make me happy considering it only has 29K miles. It never occured to me that the fob could be the reason for the car not starting. I was thinking it was electrical or software program related.

Any others out there?
  • steelflatrollsteelflatroll Member Posts: 18
    I too have this problem on my 03 MO with 138000 and only after replacing my Battery what was the final out come or problem with yours ? like yours in cold starts it works fine but starting it up after its warm up have to feather the gas pedal to keep it going for a minute .
  • gatchisongatchison Member Posts: 3
    I'm pretty sure they sprayed some cleaner in my throttle body then wiped and reloaded the computer. Took care of it immediately. My newest problem is no power after down shifting......
  • eptept Member Posts: 1
    Bought a Brand New 2011 Murano - week two the problems started - tried to start the vehicle - no luck it did not respond - all electrical came on but no reactions from the engine/starter. after 15 minutes or so it started - drove about 200 yards it stalled, same process as above - drove another few hundred yards stalled again. This process happened two more times until I could get home. Took the car to dealer - at this time it was running fine. Dealer had the car for a week, said it was a loose connection the car is fine. A week or two later engine light is back on and the vehicle is occasionally hesitating or stalling then running fine. Back to dealer, another week goes by they say it is running fine, could not find anything. The next day I start the car the engine light is back on - I drive back to the dealer for a third time. Another week, (3 if you are counting) they say it is a bad ground, it is fixed and we had to replace the CAT converter as well. I take the car back drive it for another couple of weeks the engine light come back on and the vehicle is hesitating again. Forth time back to the dealer, they say they needed to replace the other CAT converter - At this point I have zero confidence in the the vehicle, the dealer and NISSAN - I need a safe car to transport my family and this vehicle hesitates, stalls unexpectilly putting my family in danger. I have stressed this with the dealer and Nissan and they say the car is fine. I have never seen a major corporation not stand by their product. ***I Will Never Buy a Nissan again*** I am trading the car in and loosing over $5,000 in the process on a 3 month old car.
  • kapoweekapowee Member Posts: 1
    My daughter got out of my 2009 Murano by manually unlocking the driver side door. The alarm went off. I grabbed my keys and pressed the unlock button. My car ignition engaged, the engine revved and it stopped short of cutting completely on. I hit the button again, the same thing happened. What, I thought! I don't have an ignition switch on my key at all. I can only start the car by getting inside and putting the key in the switch. The folks at the Nissan dealership were able to duplicate the problem and they were baffled. They couldn't give me an answer as to why this happened but tell me that the car will never cut completely on, so I shouldn't worry. Has anyone every heard of such a thing?!
  • murano_2009murano_2009 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 S model. 20k miles on it. It started with the tire sensor always being on. Then i get the battery light and the brake light together, on and off for a few weeks. After a while car finally stopped. Took it to the dealer, changed the battery which had died, every thing else worked fine. 5 min after leaving the dealer warning lights back on. Back to the dealer, they re-check, everything fine. Three weeks after that the car stalls again, all warning lights in the panel come on, car can only roll at 5 miles/hr to a safe parking space. I turn it of, after 30 mins it turns back on like nothing happened. I can never take a trip anywhere with this car. Baffling.
  • storrero09storrero09 Member Posts: 1
    i just want to say thank you so much for your suggesting. you saved me about 1k of parts and labor. i printed your suggesting for my husband and all he had to do was clean the throttle body. all i spent was a total of $6.36 for the carb-clean and the gasket and it runs great. we are trying to fix all these little things to the car so we could trade in our murano also just a FYI there is a problem with the front driver and passager air bags not going off in a accident
    A few years after my original messages, and here is a list of the issuses I've had that I can recall:
    1) Battery replaced once. Ran out of battery on two occasions after 15 minutes of radio use.
    2) Park the car, turn off the engine, open the door - ALL THE WINDOWS ROLL DOWN. Restart car, roll up windows. Try again - same thing. And again.... finally the 3rd time the windows stayed up, so I went inside - came back to the car an hour later - ALL THE WINDOWS WERE DOWN.
    3) CD changer changed CDs or changes to the radio with no action from me. Happens frequently.
    4) iPod connected, radio on - put car in reverse, iPod comes on. Happens frequently.
    5) Last night, left work only to watch my hatch opening
    5) This morning - there is a picture in the message window by the speedometer, a picture of a key, with a bar underneath. One end says F, the other E. ????

We had all the stalling and key issues while under warranty. The car is 4 years old and has 35000 miles on it now, and is out of warranty. I'm not even going to the dealer with all this - don't want it doucmented before I try and dump this POS. We're done with it. My husband is shopping for a new car now, and instead of trading in his old 2000 Acura, this one is going. I know we'll take a loss, but I need a SAFE and RELIABLE car. This i the first car in 40 years that I have not kept 10 years or longer.
  • linymomlinymom Member Posts: 11
    this is a very interesting thread - seems like "intelligent" key problems span all years. I've had my 06 SL since new, it only has 45k miles on it. The batteries in both key fobs died about 2 years ago. I replaced them and all has been fine until this morning, got in the car to leave for work and the ignition wouldnt turn at all (my car is pre-push button). The doors unlocked with the fob and the green key icon was displaying so I knew that it wasnt battery related. I tried to use the valet key in the ignition, still wouldnt turn. Checked to see if the steering wheel was locked, it wasnt. Got my other key from the house still nothing. Tried my remote start, the car started but since I couldnt turn the ignition on, it stalled as soon as I tried to put it in drive. Went in and called work to tell them I couldnt get there. Decided to try one more time before calling Nissan and car started no problem. Since then I ran errands at lunch time without a problem. Decided to check here to see if anyone else has experienced this and found this thread. and I was hoping it was just a fluke.
    So is there any use in calling Nissan? Should I expect this problem to re-occur? :confuse:
  • mirlemirle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 MO with 59K having the same issue: "in cold starts it works fine but starting it up after its warm up have to feather the gas pedal to keep it going"

I went to replace my battery to AC DELCO and they said is not the battery is something with a relearn...or something...that the dealer need to do...but my MO haven't been without battery charge. (The battery was replaced 1.5 years ago) The tested it and the said it isn't....In the dealer told me that a Air Intake Duct need replacement because of a recall...they are doing it right now, let's see if this corrects this behavior.... :confuse:
  • campbelltoncampbellton Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2011 Murano. Starting and stalling is now part of my life. I will never buy a Nissan again but it's still on garantee and believe me, I will send it to the dealership every time and they will have to pay to rent another car for me and all the expenses that comes with it. Even if they are trying to give me a good service, it's just not enough. I don't feel safe because I never know if it's going to stall. That car is giving me nothing but problems!!! I will never recommand buying a Nissan to anybody!
  • James1253James1253 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 murano and it shut off for the first time tried to restart but it will idle rough then cut off. I can't get it to run constantly at idle. It has almost a full tank of gas and I only use Chevron so not sure what bnb the problem is... any suggestions???