Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited July 2010
    Consumers Union does not accept contributions from any for-profit corporation or business, in any amount or form, including employer matching gifts. The organization accepts only individual gifts and gifts from foundations that are not directly connected with a corporation, as well as grants from government agencies. All gifts and grants over $10,000 must be approved by our Conflict of Interest Review Committee.

The above is from the CR annual report. If you look at the annual report you will notice that they have over 4 million subscribers to the magazine and over 3.2 million subscribers to their on-line site. They had about $248million in operating income and about $245 million in operating expense. Of that $248 million in revenue over $225 million was from subscriptions. The other revenue was from donations. They are a non-profit and their books are strictly audited. I have no connection with CR and don't always agree with everything they say about cars but I am a subsciber.

You say you always bring up the question as to where do they get all their money to do all the things they do. I just gave you the answer. Unless you have proof that they are crooked, please stop insinuating that they are.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Yes they get donations and at times large donations from people who might or might not have a vested interest in how something gets reviewed. So my point is if Car and Driver might be influenced by XYZ company advertising in their magazine you have to entertain the possibility that CR might be influenced by having a major investor in XYZ company donating a large amount of money.

Again if CR told me I was alive I would go to my doctors to make sure.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

I have seen CR give the exact same product two completely different reviews (same product produced by the same company for two different companies with only cosmetic differences), I have seen them rate products that everyone else rates as second class all the while not mentioning products that everyone else states are superior to their top picks.

As far as I am concerned CR is as crooked as a mountain road.

Yes they get donations and at times large donations from people who might or might not have a vested interest in how something gets reviewed. So my point is if Car and Driver might be influenced by XYZ company advertising in their magazine you have to entertain the possibility that CR might be influenced by having a major investor in XYZ company donating a large amount of money.

Do you have one shred of proof or are you just one those people that say "Oh well I don't agree with everything they print and they take advertising dollars to stay in business......oh, oh, brainstorm, they must be on the take and write stories favoring their biggest advertisers".

Now you say Car and Driver "might be influenced" by advertising money. You know you can say these things over and over but talk is cheap. Prove it.
    See my post before yours and explain why the exact same product is given different reviews? Or explain why they didn't compare certain brands.

• rexgrexg Member Posts: 27
    I must say that I was impressed a few weeks ago when I completed this survey. I thought it was extremely well organized, and it made me feel that Hyundai was truly committed to gathering detailed customer feedback. It covered all aspects of the car in a systematic manner, and it provided a very convenient forum for me to describe my dislikes about the car and the defects that I encountered. My new SE is my first new car since 2001, so maybe all manufacturers are doing this now, but I have never personally experienced such a thorough follow-up.

I also completed another Hyundai survey about my purchase experience, and I was not so happy with this one. As seems common nowadays, Hyundai apparently expects every response to be a perfect 10. As is also common nowadays, the dealer told me that this survey was coming and he told me that he would be "hear about it" if I didn't give a perfect score for every response. I don't understand why manufacturers play this game. Nobody is perfect. And to the extent that customers follow their dealer's advice and give perfect 10's, then the manufacturer is not getting reliable feedback. In my case, I ignored my dealer's appeal and tried to answer the survey questions honestly. And I actually gave the dealer 8's and 9's because I was pretty happy with their performance. So essentially I gave them a B+ rating. But a couple of weeks later, my salesman called me and asked me why I was so unhappy with the sales experience. Hyundai had called the dealer and reported that I was unsatisfied.
    I believe we're really getting off track from the 2011 Sonata so I'll try to be brief. Two products made by the same company for two different retailers can look substantially the same but be built to totally different specs. For example major appliances. One major company makes very similar models for big box stores, Sears, smaller chain stores and their own brand but to different specs such as soundproofing material, quality of internal parts, motors etc. My wife sells major appliances and sees this everyday. Believe me there can be big differences in performance.

That said, it's also possible that a mistake was made in the incident you're referring to since you don't give any details. Bottom line nobody says CR is perfect, who is? However, it's a long ways from saying someone makes mistakes to taking payoffs or is crooked.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion which you clearly state when you say "As far as I'm concerned". I consider that an opinion, not proof.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program........
    In the 80's I worked for a company that made small appliances for "other" companies. Basically we were making them for other companies to sell. One of the products we made was a blender. We made this one blender for two different companies (off brand names) and the only difference was the casing and the name on it. Insides were the same made to the same specs. It was joked that when one came off the line a coin was flipped to determine which company it was for.

CR gave one an above average rating and the other poor. And there was absolutely no difference between the two.

Just one reason I don't trust CR.

• jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Just one reason I don't trust CR.

I don't have complete trust in any source, but when I'm preparing to make a large purchase, I want as much information as I can get from as many sources as I can find. As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as too much data.

Later on in the evaluation process, I may decide to give less weight to some sources & more to others, but I won't ignore data from any reasonably credible source. That would be silly.

I wouldn't buy a car without first reading CR's review of it - we're longtime subscribers - but that doesn't mean that CR's opinion by itself will drive my decision.

We don't finance our cars - we pay cash for them & we keep them for a long time - & that makes us cautious, non-impulsive buyers.

Incidentally, CR's review of the new Sonata is highly favorable. In their words, "The redesigned Sonata is a major leap ahead of its predecessor. It now ranks with our top-rated family sedans and is competitively priced."
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited July 2010
    I'm with snake on this one.

In the 80's I worked for a company that made small appliances for "other" companies. Basically we were making them for other companies to sell. One of the products we made was a blender. We made this one blender for two different companies (off brand names) and the only difference was the casing and the name on it. Insides were the same made to the same specs. It was joked that when one came off the line a coin was flipped to determine which company it was for.

CR gave one an above average rating and the other poor. And there was absolutely no difference between the two.

Some of you know I'm a big supporter of Kia Motors. I'm not an employee of Kia Motors and I'm not a salesman of Kia vehicles. I'm not a Kia stockholder. I have, though, owned two of them and although those two new Kia's my wife and I have bought gave us great service and have been traded in on subsequent new cars, I would consider both my wife and I fans of Kia Motors.

I read the various car magazines that I can get my hands on at Barnes & Noble, Wal*Mart, Border's, Hastings, etc., to see what's new in the automotive world. My wife doesn't. But as to what snake has stated about CR reporting, I will concur that I don't go by what they say very much.

I don't trust their honesty, or their originality. Back when I followed every new Kia model like a hawk, I knew exactly what the new Spectra looked like (the 2002 model is the one I'm talking about), down ta all the details of the front grille, etc. Some other things changed, too, regarding the engine of the compact car and some options and package details. I knew them because I'd scoured the net for months reading up about this car-I was gonna buy one. We bought a 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4 instead, that's how my wife fits in to the story. She didn't "want another small car". She ran up to a Pepper Red 5-speed Sportage 4X4 and had to have it. Turned out to be a tough little trooper for towing goods and climbing mountains and getting me out of icy, slippery situations with it's 4WD system, at least 3 times in the states of Missouri and Idaho. But by looking at CR I was looking for maybe some of their insight or something new I didn't already know about the 2002 Kia Spectra sedan.

So...how did CR see any of these changes? A test-drive might have been expected, too? Naah...they gave it the same exact review as the Sephia review the year before and showed an old picture for the sedan, and called it up-ta-date!

Now, I was looking for something new about the car that I didn't already know. I know that as car enthusiasts we usually know more than the salesmen talking to us about the car. CR not only gave outdated information they were trying to pass off as new but couldn't even put a new photgraph of the new year's Kia Spectra model.

And then CR gave it their customary "Knowing this information we can't give it our Michael Jordan Seal of Almighty Approval and Recommendation" crap they repeatedly gave the subcompact Kia sedan year after year after year.

I'm sorry, that's publishing misinformation and it's unprofessional and it's bunkweed of the highest cost and hassle to procure. After seeing they wouldn't do their homework yet expected their work to still be bought and paid for well I lost all respect for them.

I think that while we were still down in southern Arizona I probably picked up a CR in Tucson or Sierra Vista once or twice just for poops and giggles, but I don't put very much credence in their magazine. I say use it for hamster fodder or for packing valuable items for shipping. Spending money on a CR magazine would be a no-no times 25.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I do like your first name, man! I share it but spell mine with a 'y' instead of an 'i'. Salad, anyone?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    Well here on the east coast temps have hit the high 90's and I'm impressed on how quickly my sonata gets cool and how well it works. Just another important reason I'm happy with my purchase!
  • tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    I know there is an upgrade to alloy wheels on the GLS. I think an earlier poster said his dealer was throwing them in as part of a promotion.

I was slowing for a red light a few days ago, and there was a GLS in the lane to the left of me, already at a full stop. It had alloy wheels. Just as I pulled up next to it, I glanced at the tires & wheels and thought the tires read they were 16 inchers. The light had turned green, and it started rolling before I could get a good look.

My question is, are the GLS alloys still 16"? Seems like the right thing to do ( especially if they're not being tossed in for free ) would be to increase them to 17".

Tuckerdog1
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    For those interested, Hyundai's sister company KIA, now has the pricing configurator available online for the new Optima. A fully loaded SX, top of the line, priced out a little less that 30K with all options.
    edited July 2010
    Just went to the KIA site and did the configurator for the SX as you mentioned. Maybe the zipcode made a big difference but this the results I got.

2011 Optima SX with turbo and auto, $26,995

Prem pkg = $2,100
    Tech pkg = $2,100

Total $31995*

* indicated the above price does not include destination chgs which for the 2010 Optima were $695

Grand total = $31,890 (if destination chgs remain the same)

This is just shy of the $32k I've been predicting and since KIA is often priced a little less than Hyundai for similar vehicles it will be interesting to see what a similarly configured Sonata will come in at.

Please let me know how you came up with less than $30k with all options keeping in mind that the figurator does not include dest. chgs.
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    My bad. It was a typo. I meant just under 32k. Not sure I like that you can only get in black though. I priced out an EX with the 200hp engine with all the same options with a beige interior, and some different exterior color options. I think I just may make this my next car.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Yeah that's been up for a while. This time, for the SX turbo with premium and tech packages and I'm getting:

Estimated Total Price: $30,495*

So call it 31k with destination.

* The "prices" listed on this SITE are planning estimates for survey purposes only. The listed price estimates exclude destination & handling charges, taxes, title and license fees and dealer charges that would apply in an actual purchase/lease transaction.
    Since you came up with $30,495 plus dest and I came up with $31,195 plus dest and we both checked both of the major options, I wonder where the difference of $700 is.

Obviously it must have been either in the base price or the option prices. See my previous post and let me know where the difference was. It must be based on different pricing for different zips.

I live in the Chicago nw suburbs.
  • alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    Yes, when you buy PEP (Popular Equip. Package) on GLS for about 750 you get 16" alloy wheels, power seat and auto on/off headlights. For another $100 you can add 17" alloy wheels, called "Spring Event Special" which is weird since its summer now! In Texas AC is VERY important! My test drive of Sonata, Accord and Altima were on 100F hot days and AC worked great on all of them.
    Well I just duplicated what I did earlier and now I got your result. I know the options were 2000 each last time, this time they were 2100. I dont remember what the base price of the SX was however, I assume that was the rest of the difference.

and now doing it a 3rd time I come up with a base Estimated Total Price: $27,495* and 2200 for each package for a total minus destination of Estimated Total Price: $31,895*

So I'm going to call that site unreliable at best. For what it's worth, this site (sourcing Motor Trend) feels the Kia will undercut the Sonata:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/06/2011-kia-optima-spied-in-the-wild.htm- l

"The Optima will go on sale towards the end of 2010, and while pricing hasn’t been announced, expect it to undercut its rivals, including the Sonata, by a fair margin."
    Yeah, it seems the more interest someone shows in the new Optima the higher the price goes! :confuse:

The third party running the figurator must be a car dealer. ;)

I think the first time I went on that site a couple of weeks ago the option pkgs were $1900 one time and $2000 the next so it's very strange even from the same zipcodes. If I was KIA I would put the skids on it before it alienates people.
    I found this on another Forum. Apparently the horn can be adjusted.

:http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g264/plgtx/Vehicle/HornAdj.jpg
  • alexupalexup Member Posts: 14
    well....I brought my 2011 Sonata Limited to the dealer today to address the recall. They rerouted the ignition wires and replace both door handles at no cost. No additional cost or other repairs required. Guess this recall is for Sonatas that were built early. I purchased my Sonata on Feb. 13, 2010.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    Others have posted that the adjustment won't improve the "meep meep" horn. :(
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    side bar:

Back in the late 60's, early 70's, the Plymouth Road Runner was advertised with the "Beep-Beep" sound effect from the cartoon show.

I worked at a dealership that had an AMC franchise. I am not kidding when I tell you that for a short period of time the AMX came with a window decal in the glove box showing the Coyote choking the Roadrunner with the caption "Beep-Beep My [non-permissible content removed]!"

They were included with the owners manual, but not for very long. :D
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    edited July 2010
    LOL! My Dad owned a Dodge Dealership back then, and I remember that decal well, Some of the guys also used to put them on Chargers too.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/beep%20beep%20my%20ass/andjusticeforall666/RO- ADRUNNER1.jpg
    http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/category/manufacturers-by-region/korean

"When we first drove the all new 2011 Sonata, we commented that the time to buy the car is now, before Hyundai gets smart and jacks up the price. That price-hike may come sooner than later, with company CEO Steve S. Yang recently commenting that it is one of the automaker’s “main goals.”

“When our quality is almost equal to (Tier 1 non-luxury brands), then our prices should be similar,” he said at a meeting at the automaker’s U.S. headquarters.

Unfortunately for Hyundai its perception by consumers hasn’t yet caught up to its reputation with the automotive press, or with its solid quality, reliability and dependability statistics. To combat this imbalance, Hyundai will launch a marketing campaign focused on the brand’s recent awards. Through quality products and a new corporate image, Hyundai wants to become one of the top three automakers in quality, and one of the top five in perceived quality within the next five years.

Hyundai has already increased its prices with incremental changes over the years and the result has been positive. When combined with the brand’s improved quality, efficiency and a long list of new products, the average amount paid for a Hyundai by consumers has increased 11 percent since 2008 and that number is only going to head North from here."
    edited July 2010
    Yes, 2011 Sonata for a Korean car is not that cheap since every major Asian brand and Ford are offering rebates, financial incentives and discounts. I know besides 1200 rebate Accord is being discounted 2000 plus off the invoice price to move inventory. Fusion had 2k rebate and Sonata have ALWAYS HAD REBATES! It will happen later,since the auto market is soft. Past resale values of this car is not great despite ALG"s high residual value projection which is done to reduce car lease payments, means its risky to overpay for it!
  • bow45bow45 Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone know if the 2011 Sonata 2.0T will have a timing chain :confuse: Thanks :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The 2.0T is part of the Hyundai Theta engine family; these engines have timing chains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Theta_engine
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    back to back to back last Saturday.
    There is now a 2010 Maxima SV (crimson black exterior/cafe latte interior) with monitor, cold, spoiler and assorted accessories in my garage. Liked the Maxima and the base TL about the same. The Maxima was a better deal for me by about $2K. I liked the look and extra features of the Max vs. the TL. The Sonata is just not as solid of a performer on the road and not as nice inside as the other two which isn't surprising considering I don't think it is meant to compete with the Maxima and TL. The turbo won't change that in my opinion.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    So, my new Sonata with only 850 miles on it has now been in the shop twice. It was in yesterday for a creaking sound that ended up being the fuel tank was not tightened down properly. It was fixed within a couple of hours.

Then, I get in my car after work today and the AC is not working at all. It is blowing HOT air. I drove straight to the dealer and within 1 mile of the dealer it starts to blow cool air. By the time the tech got in it was cold. This was the second time this occured. the first time it was cold within 5 minutes. This time it was over 20 minutes before it started to blow some what cool air. Not sure what the problem is, but they are keeping it and will let it sit in the hot sun tomorrow to see if they can duplicate the problem. VERY FRUSTRATING for a car thats 1 month old and only has 850 miles. Hope its not a sign of things to come. :lemon:
    Congrats on the new car! Maxima is a very sharp car and that's probably the colors I'd go with myself. Good luck with it.
    Not much in the way of "new technology" in a/c, so I wouldn't worry about it. Heck, my wife's 2010 Tucson blew a compressor at ~4K miles. Stuff happens like this, but you just go on. Let the warranty do it's job. If the car is a pickle, you will know well within the warranty period, but to be honest, you really don't see many lemons anymore in any brand. Manufacturing techniques, design, materials, all have improved.

The gas tank noise is interesting. That would be a tricky one to isolate, but very easy to fix. I assume one of the straps wasn't placed quite right, or not quite snug or some such. Did the dealer put you in a free loaner? The local dealer did with my wife when the Tucson was in the shop.
  • wildman7wildman7 Member Posts: 2
    hey fish 8. I have a similar problem except I drove off the lot with mine. The car wont take fuel. There seems to be issues with the fuel tank and fuel intake system. from the research I did it seems that Hyundai has had these problems for years. I had the car less than a week and the service department has had it for 9 days now. I only had 300 miles on it. I'm having buyers remorse and have contacted an attorney.
    That sounds like a very optimistic approach. I hope Hyundai has put as much effort in insuring reliability of this vehicle as it has in advertising it. Its warranty is the best in the market so at least you are covered.

Yes, there are lemons and often they can be pricey lemons since lot of them are Euro brands like Jaguar. Even Hyundai has some models that dont have stellar reliability performance like the current Elantra model series or 2006-2010 Sonata.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    edited July 2010
    The current Elantra has a stellar (well I won't throw superlatives around too much, so how about great?) reliability record. The 2006-10 Sonata doesn't have much in the way of problems either, so what are you saying here? To the best of my knowledge, and belive me I read everything automotive, there is no current Hyundai product that is thought to be trouble prone..notice I didn't say they were trouble free.
  • wildman7wildman7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Sonata not an Elantra. From the tone of your response you must work for Hyundai in the damage control department. The dealer specifically told me this was a fluke incident and that they were not aware of any cases like this. It's clear that is not the case and that Hyundai has a history of fule tank fueling issues. Just give a new car or my money back!
    What I find interesting is that where I live (central Texas) I never have a problem fueling any of my cars. But when I travel up to the Dallas/Fort Worth area where the gas pumps have those funky emissions reducing gas nozzles, I routinely will get early shutoff. Got to be something to do with those pumps in my particular case. Saw the same problem with a couple of GM products, and saw others at the station dealing with it also.

Had the same problem down near Houston, with the same sort of "special" pump nozzle. Had to slow the fuel deliver way down to keep it from shutting off. But back here at home, I can put fuel in as fast as the pump will run, and a couple of stations can really crank in the fuel. So I just figured it had something to do with the interaction of the tank venting system and the low emissions fuel nozzle?
    I'm not saying there is or isn't a problem with the 2011 Sonata fuel intake pipe or something but I have two older vehicles where I occassionally encounter gas pumps where I have to fiddle with it quite a few times before I can get it stop shutting off right off the bat. So I think it could just be tempermental gashose handles.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think a lot of it is pump variance. There's a chain of gas stations in my area and all of their pumps shut off early, maybe 1-2 gallons early, on all of my cars. But I can go a few blocks away to a different station and fill to the top if I want.

I am not aware of any general, widespread problem with Hyundais re gas tanks. There was a recall six years ago on my Elantra for a fuel filler pipe, but I never noticed a problem with it before or since. I have seen some problems with other makes, recently, e.g.:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1046585_lexus-planning-recall-of-2010-hs-250h- -for-potential-post-crash-fuel-leak
    The dealer was able to reproduce my ac issue. Waiting on Hyundai engineers to find a way to fix. They say they will most likely have to replace the compressor. I am waiting on the call from the dealer. So far my car has been in the shop for 4 days and I have had it for 1 month and 850 miles. Buyers remorse? Maybe a little.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Just in case anyone is interested in another review...

Another 2011 Sonata review

;)
    Just in case anyone is interested in another review...

Another 2011 Sonata review

Has there been a bad review?
  • alphacar1alphacar1 Member Posts: 5
    I think the key for Hyundai is to bring in their Turbo SE model at under 25k. I think under 25k is a phycological number that will draw many to this car. If they offer the current SE model with turbo for under 25k, it will be a home run. A fuel efficient car, with plenty of power and fun to drive.
    edited July 2010
    I picked up my car this afternoon and the air is now working. Tightened the connections and that supposedly was the fix. Now, the creaking that was "repaired" on Wed is now back. Sooooo frustrating.....I realize all car company's produce cars with problems, but this is getting out of hand. Back in the shop on Monday. :sick:
  • 08tlrules08tlrules Member Posts: 2
    I AGREE. if they have the turbo at that price its a win-- and will take share from not only the accord/camry v6 but also buyers of the acura TSX (underpowered) and all are FWD. I think (so does every car mag) that the Koreans have hit a home run with not only this car but others in the stable.. I think the hybrid will also put a dent in toyota sales.
  • ridre52ridre52 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a new 2011 Sonata last week (GLS). Mid week, I noticed while stuck in traffic, that it felt like my car was hesitating/bucking at low speeds. I played with the ECO setting (actually, what is this setting for?), tried using manual transmission and auto, turn the AC on and off, but nothing seemed to replicate or stop what I "think" I felt. Here is what I "think" I felt. At a slower speed, like when you are stuck in traffic where it is stop and go, I "think" I felt the car hesitating when I would hit the gas. Now, I am not punching the gas at all, just accelerating at a normal speed. This doesn't happen when I am going 70-80mph consistently (obviously not stuck in traffic—lol). Has anyone else felt something like this? I've tried researching all the posts thus far, but there are over 3000 and I’m tired from being stuck in all that traffic. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks-
    Rob-
    edited July 2010
    As long as the engine is not stalling, and is running well other than the stumble you "think" you felt, I would put some miles on it before I headed to the shop. Give the engine a chance to settle in a bit. I know it isn't as common as it was before fuel injection, electronic control systems and all that, but I also remember my dad as a GM service manager telling people that if the engine was running, not over heating, not making noise, and getting reasonable performance and gas mileage, they would rather not touch it for the first 1500 miles. He often said that many of the little problems would resolve themselves on their own.

If this is your first Hyundai, let me tell you something about your engine. I have owned four Hyundai, and every dang one of them started running smoother, stronger, and getting better fuel economy right as they hit 3000 miles. If it happened once, it could be my imagination. Twice, awfully strong coincidence. But four times? It would be very easy to program the ECM to keep the timing, dwell and fuel delivery at, say, 90% optimum for the first X number of miles to let the engine and drive train settle in. Then switch to the correct settings and let the customer be happy that the car is running better than ever, and gee, the mileage is even better!

Don't have proof of that, but have four Hyundai that have done it.
  • rexgrexg Member Posts: 27
    Has there been a bad review?

Well there is this one....

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-car-review-20100624,0,5145013.story