Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty Rear FLIP-UP GLASS will not close

tmcsweentmcsween Member Posts: 1
I have 2006 CRD and the rear FLIP-UP GLASS will not close. It appears the LATCH on the swing gate is in the closed position. I don't how the LATCH transitioned to the closed position while the FLIP-UP glass is open.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    I think if you lock the truck while the glass is open you are in this situation. Open the rear door and this resets the latch.
  • Options
    crdstercrdster Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out how to fix the problem of the flip-up glass latch not working? Mine is doing the same.
  • Options
    tn28tn28 Member Posts: 1
    My hatch would open up on its own in the dead of winter and then not latch back down. They ended up replacing a part within the back hatch door handle or the whole handle assembly completely. (Twice I had to have this part replaced) It was years ago. This is what triggers the latch to open and close. They replaced the part and mentioned it was a recall.
    Now I am having the problem this time with just the glass not wanting to latch back down (no surprise automatically opening - just wont latch) What I have to do to make it be able to latch back down is to use the back window hatch button on the jeep key fob and this will trigger it to flip into the open position so that you can relatch it back down. I have yet to call my dealer to see if it is still covered from the last time they replaced the defective part.

Found my paperwork - 2-1-05 said removed rear gate handle and found switch corroded. Replaced handle assembly with new switch.

This was for the hatch not shutting. 4-28-05 Checked and found wiring connector at release motor had loose terminals. Secured terminals.
    I am having this problem again, guess I should have someone check the terminals again!
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Did you know that when you have the rear wiper set to "Cont..." or "Delay..." you cannot open the rear gate from outside? This feature is managed by one of our electronic modules and prevents accidental damage of the hatch. Perhaps this is where your problem comes from: the hatch button on the clicker communicates with this module and forces it to reset in a different way.
  • Options
    jim419jim419 Member Posts: 1
    This has happened before. I would use my clicker to undo the lock. The other night the rear swing door window opened by itself and it would not close. The latch would not unlock itself this time using the unlock button on clicker. Can I force the lock position to open? It's an 05 Liberty.
  • Options
    mc621mc621 Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriends daughter has an 05 Liberty. Recently her rear glass window started not shuting. I have tried cleaning the latch even replaced the entire latch assembly with another but when closing the rear glass it still will not latch any suggestions
  • Options
    c2itmanc2itman Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem. It is not in the glass latch (which is what I originally thought). Unfortunately my problem was actually the locking solenoid in the swing gate latch. I found that if I locked all doors, I could still open the swing gate. The glass will open to avoid breaking but the latch never opened. Then I could never shut the glass. If I unlocked all doors then pulled the swing gate handle the glass latch would release and allow the glass to latch again. This told me the swing gate was not locking (doors locked and it still opened). If you have the gate latch replaced you will never have the problem again. Hope this helps
  • Options
    mymedadamymedada Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty. I never use the rear windshield wiper, somehow it has been moved and is stuck upright on rear windshield. I cannot open rear window or gate because of this. Any ideas or suggestions as how to get it to go back down in off position?
  • Options
    keyserrollkeyserroll Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2005 Jeep Liberty started having problems with the rear hatch glass not locking down. I had just replaced the rear hatch glass latch 1 1/2 years ago with the same problem. After reading several forums with this issue, I started with the connector that runs from the door handle to the glass latch although it seemed to be working fine. That did not fix the problem so I ordered a new glass latch and replaced it. The glass will not latch down and after observing from inside it appears that the glass will not go in completely. I unbolted the latch with the wiring still connected and put the latch on the glass and locked it then bolted the latch back down. Used the key fob to unlatch which worked fine but the glass would not latch back down again. It almost seems that something is misaligned but after checking everything out it seems fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Vonne_G1Vonne_G1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm dealing with the same issue on an 02 Liberty.it sat in the garage for a while with a dead battery and my husband opened the back glass without knowing the battery had died. Even after replacing the battery, the window will not close and latch on its own. I took the inside panel off and checked the motor is working to open but when you push my to close the glass, it's like the glass isn't going far enough in the activate the latch. It was working just fine before the dead battery.