Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Added Security

jdljrjdljr Member Posts: 11
Yesterday I got a brochure in the mail from Subaru offering their Subaru Added Security coverage. I purchased my 09 Legacy in Sept 08 and it now has less than 10K miles. They're offering the Classic Plus package for $564 to extend the warranty to 5 yr/60,000 miles. The brochure speaks of a $100 deductible per occurrence but says a $0 deductible option is available. I noticed on the Subaru website that a Gold Plus package is available as well, but there is no pricing on the website, or in my mailing, for that plan.

I have not owned a Subaru in the past and would like to know what other people think about the Subaru Added Security plan compared to other extended warranty plans. I guess I'm going to have to call Subaru sometime to ask about the Gold Plus package and the $0 deductible option. Any thoughts on Classic Plan vs Gold Plan?

Also, I had read on another thread that the plan(s) may be negotiable at the dealership? Is that during the initial auto purchase only, or anytime? I don't know if my local dealer would negotiate.

I hate the thought of spending money for the extended warranty, but I equally hate the thought of having a potentially high repair bill as well, after the factory warranty expires.

Thank you for your thoughts...

Comments

• morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    We have 2 subarus (3 if counting my son's old 94 Legacy) in warranty now. My wife has a 07 Forester and I have an 09 Outback. We will not be buying the extended warranties for either of them. Our cars are babied probably more than most, so I'm willing to roll the dice. Some people need the peace of mind that the extended warranties bring. In our case, we considered the cars to be reliable enough to purchase and anything that comes along after the warranty ends, we'll deal with it.

Of the many new cars we have bought and kept beyond the basic warranty, there was only one - a 95 Chevy conversion van, that would have benefitted from an extended warranty when the transmission failed at 37K miles.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    I should have waited until the mail came today before my initial response - I may have gotten the same mailing from Subaru that you did. The cost was $564 - but it was for 6 years/60K miles from the date the car was put into service, $840 for 6 years/80K miles and $1282 for 6 years/100K miles.

Its not a bad extended service contract - but I'm still going to pass for the following reasons: 1. Our cars are driven gently and 2. Our roads are some of the best in the US. So the miles put on our subarus are among the easiest any car would see. For example, my roundtrip commute is 108 moderate speed (55-60mph) highway miles with not one pothole.

I think if we did short trips, drove in the city, did any stop & go, on New England's awful roads, then we'd look into the "Subaru Added Security" extended service contract more seriously. For our situations, it isn't as likely to be needed.
  • jdljrjdljr Member Posts: 11
    I didn't get all three options like you did, and I wonder why. My options are 5 yr/60,000 miles or 5 yr/ 80,000 miles, for the prices you have listed. Are my options not 6 years because I bought my 2009 Legacy in Sept 2008? Why would my 5 year option cost the same as someone else getting a 6 year option?

My car is gently driven as well, I'm usually the only driver and I don't hot rod it. My drive to work is 9.5 miles each way, speeds ranging from 35 to 45 to (briefly) 55. After 8 miles I get into town, and drive a mile and a half with some stoplights along the last little bit. No potholes, but the road is not smooth as glass. I live in the mountains and, while my drive to work used to be 20 miles each way on a curvy, mountain road, now I work closer to home and the drive is much less curvy.

I'm thinking I'll pass on the service plan too, but I might consider it if it was for 6 years from the date the car is put into service, like yours is. Subaru's are SUPPOSED to be reliable and durable, but anything can happen at anytime with any car, and I suppose I'll just bear the risk. :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You also get roadside assistance for the duration of the warranty, so that can offset other costs, perhaps.

Plus, it's MUCH easier to sell a vehicle that still has a little warranty left in it. We sold a 2002 Legacy last year that had a 7/100 warranty and the buyer said that was the reason he chose our car. He had almost a year left so no worries, no inspection, and he paid full asking price, which was about a grand more than my minimum price.

So if you look at it that way, I got my money back and then some.
  • trautmaktrautmak Member Posts: 10
    I am purchasing a 2009 Outback Ltd with 10,000 miles from a Subaru dealer. The dealer is offering 80,000 and 100,000 extended warranties for $1900-2000. If they are not used at all, you get your money back at the end of the term. Is this worthwhile?

thanks!
  • gjksngjksn Member Posts: 35
    When I bought my 2003 Legacy in 2002, they told me I could buy an extended warranty as long as I did so any time before the standard 3 year warranty was up. I did that toward the end of the standard warranty, because I had a sunroof issue that would have been very expensive to fix if not under warranty. My 7/100,000 Gold policy is up in September, and so far, it has not been used. Knock on wood. ;)
    Yes, you can buy them before your 36,000 miles are up but if I buy it now, at time of purchase, I can get a refund of the entire amount as long as it is not used at all by the time the miles are up. If you sell the car before the term is up, you get a prorated (small) refund.
    So now I am wondering which warranty to get - 80,000 or 100,000. Just in terms of when major problems ar likely to arise, would you recommend the 80k or 100k? We usually keep our cars till they die but I have been thinking that is maybe not so wise. Is it better to trade in at 90k or so - before the timing belt needs to be replaced?

If I get the 100k and sell before that, I lose. However, we are pretty lethargic when it comes to making major changes so might plan to trade it in at 90k but keep it way past that.

So, just in terms of potential problems, are you likely to get a lot between 80k and 100k?
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    If you are going to get it and keep the car a long time, get the longest one, you never know if you will drive a little more or keep it a little longer.

I got my moneys worth on my 98 legacy GT with my Gold SAS - new a/c , several new power antennas, oil leak and various sundry other things, but on my WRX which I only drive 6K a year I probably lost a few hundred.

take these prices to your dealer and have them match it or beat it
    scott putnams subaru,net site has great prices, about a third off list
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    there is no way to know when & how much you'll need the coverage but I've come out ahead on every extended service contract I've bought but one, even on reliable things like Toyotas ... the prices reflect the underwriting experience so they are far less expensive on Toyota/Subaru/Honda than, for ex., on Audi (prices through the roof).

Figure out how many miles you drive per year and look at the longest combination of time & mileage that makes sense given your car buying habits. I don't think that babying the car or quality of roads necessarily correlates with the likelihood of needing coverage on a complex, modern car.

For example, if you tend to keep a car you like and that is reliable, I wouldn't trade it just because it needs a timing belt change (& associated things you should do then too), if it's still working well and you still like it. Do the maintenance and roll on ...

My German car has been babied and driven on good roads, and (I've recovered more than twice what I paid for the extended service contract on it). All new cars are hideously complex. They tend to break less often than years ago, but they rarely are fixed cheap.

The prices are so relatively reasonable IMO that I will probably get a 7/100 contract on the '09 Ltd. it looks like I may buy shortly.

just my $.02...
    Thanks for your thoughts on this. I got the 6 yr. 100,000 miles warranty just so I don't have to worry about a several thousand dollar repair. I like my 09 LTD but do wish the seats weren't quite so hard! Love the climate control. Really wish the sunroof were tinted so I could leave it open when it is sunny. Really wish it came with better tires.
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    now you have me a little worried re: the hard seats, LOL ... coming from my '01 Audi A6, the most comfortable car I've ever driven... 10 hr. trips from VA to Cape Cod are nothing.

We'll get to test that out on the '09 OB in a couple of months.

jc
    I say go for it but negotiate a bit more on those prices, which seem on the high side. I know the terms vary but I've seen folks pay $800-1400 or so, so $1900 is definitely on the high side.

Shop other dealers, even.
  • letmeoutletmeout Member Posts: 2
    toooooooooooooo much!! i got 6/100 for 1050. you have to lowball them when you are being offered these in finance. I told them i wouldn't pay over 1000 and ended at 1050.

good luck
  • ths258ths258 Member Posts: 10
    I would appreciate any feedback on the following two propositions:

$1000 - Gold Added Security extended warranty. 7-Year, 70,000-mile, $100 deductable.

$700 - Maintenance Plan. 45,000 miles, 7,500 mile interval. Supposedly, the 36 month limit on the maintenance plan is not enforced. $400 discount for dealership's normal inclusion of free oil changes for the first 24 months.

As for the Added Security maintenace plan, here is what it includes:

Mileage interval: 3000
    Replace
    - Engine Oil
    - Engine Oil Filter
    - Drain Gasket

Mileage interval: 7500, 22500, 37500
    Replace
    - Engine Oil
    - Engine Oil Filter
    - Drain Gasket
    - Tire Rotation

Mileage interval: 15000, 45000
    Replace
    - Engine Oil
    - Engine Oil Filter
    - Drain Gasket
    - Tire Rotation
    Inspect
    - Disc Brakes pads and discs
    - Front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
    - Brake lines & check operation of parking and service brake system
    - Clutch Operation and Steering & Suspension

Mileage interval: 30000
    Replace
    - Engine Oil
    - Engine Oil Filter
    - Drain Gasket
    - Tire Rotation
    - Engine coolant
    - Spark plugs (if needed)
    - Air cleaner element
    - Brake fluid
    - Cooling system conditioner
    Inspect
    - Disc Brakes pads and discs
    - Front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
    - Brake lines & check operation of parking and service brake system
    - Clutch Operation and Steering & Suspension
    - Cooling system hoses & connections
    - Drive belts (including camshaft belts)

--------------

Any advice of the value of the above would be appreciated.
    I think you got some very competitive price quotes.

My dealer charges something like $450 for the 30k service alone, so that's worth considering. I do everything myself, but if you're not the do-it-yourself type and don't expect to move out of town, you may actually come out ahead. Just make sure you like that dealer and will want to come back. Talk to the service manager, check out the service bays.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    Agreed; Plus, the dealer is getting a good deal from you because they have just guaranteed your business and you paid up front!

On the Gold plan, find out if you can get the 100,000 mile plan for that price if you think you will us that many miles in 7 years. I think it is better to run out of time (if possible) rather than run out of warranty due to miles. But, if you manage to hit your mileage limit near the time limit.... you did it just about right!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx and ateixeira, thanks for the input!

I think I will drop both. The following is my reasoning:

As per the $700 Maintenance plan, Subaru included the 24000/2-year maintenance plan for free with my purchase (it is a Texas promo). So, that $700 is buying me the 30000, 37500 and 45000 service. And those last two services are largely just oil changes/rotations.

As for the $1000 extended warranty, with subaru.net offering the same deal for $1020, it seems delaying the purchase is not a costly decision. I only pay a $20 penalty if I want it later.

What do you two think?
    Seems reasonable to me; especially if the price on the extended warranty remains stable. You will not be using that warranty for a while anyway, so you might as well keep those dollars working for you.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    My dealer charges something like $500 just for the 30k, so it still seems like a pretty good value. As long as you don't expect to move or sell it.

Wait on the warranty, you'll make up that $20 in interest on the $1020 in the 3 years you have to decide.
    Say the 30000 mile service is $500. That leaves $200 for the 37500 and 45000 service. Those latter two services are largely oil change/rotation, which should come in well under $200. I also suspect your dealership also includes more 30000 items for that $500 than what the maintenance contract includes (i.e. AT fluid/filter change). Post #16 lists what Subaru covers/expects for maintance. From what I read, dealers augment this service list for what they define as the 30000 service.

The last thing that bugs me about the maintenance plan is that it includes a coolant change. Yet the 2009 Outback has coolant that lasts 100000+ miles.

So I did reject both. I hope to pick up the extended warranty later. There have been several references in the forums that better offers are made by Subaru in the mail, over time.
    Yeah, I guess it's a good value if you were going to purchase those things anyway, but if they're not necessary, the value then erodes.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    My Outback will be 3 yrs by end of month, just bought Gold Plus 7yr/100,000 mi./ $100 ded at $1,200. This is the lowest price I can find. Just an insurance for a big job if ever needed. Paperwork is in the mail. I think if the warranty was not claimed and can get refund upon maturity.
  • jillysmomjillysmom Member Posts: 1
    hi, BigdadI118, where did you get your warranty from? I live in Ohio and I am finding many BIG price differences.
    Thanks,
    Jilly'sMom
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yup. I have the Gold Plus and they replaced turbo, pistons and rings in my 05 LGT.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
    All that track time didn't void the warranty? ;)

Just yanking your chain, you know that.
  • kellmackellmac Member Posts: 10
    My mom is shopping for a used '09. In the past I have used Carfax but I now know the information is mostly limited to public records, which may be incomplete.

I have heard that Autocheck is affiliated with Equifax and therefore there is more information. Which would seem to imply that they are using purchase information. Somehow that seems like a violation of privacy but that sort of database would likely be more comprehensive.

Has anyone had any experience with Autocheck? Any rants or raves? The one criticism I read somewhere was from someone that gave their subscription pretty heavy use and it was terminated for suspicion of commercial purposes.

Also, is anyone aware of any Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) on the 09s, or does it matter since the vehicle would be under warranty?

Also, can someone give me a quick refresher on the difference between Subaru Added Security (SAS) and the Gold Plus extended B to B warranty? I get the impression that SAS covers routine maintenance, is that correct? How much extra is that? Is it worth the extra money? Would a used Subaru be eligible?

Finally, I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts here regarding significant savings off of the retail price on the Gold Plus. The last time I bought a Subaru Gold Plus I got a quote from Stacy Subaru (Brattleboro VT) and used it to negotiate with the dealer I was buying from (they matched the quote). I forget the exact numbers but I think I saved 40% to 45% off of retail.

On behalf of my mom, thanks in advance. :D
    ~Cath
    Jilly's Mom

Click my name and email me for info...
    ~Kath

Subaru Added Security = Extended Warranty
    It contains 2 plans : Basic, Gold Plus
    Of course Basic covers basic stuffs and Gold Plus covers like new car bumper-to-bumper, road side assistance, towing, trip interuption. You can stop by any Subaru dealer to get a Added Security brochure to get idea.

If you want further info please click my name to email me. You can buy these before the standard warranty 3yr/36k mi. expiry.
    Jilly's Mom,
    Your profile notes that your email is private.

I did email bigdadi118.
    Thanks,
    ~Cath
    I just realize I should have started a separate thread.

Thanks for the responses on the warranty question but I'm also looking for feedback on Carfax versus Autocheck.
    ~Cath
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Actually it started shortly after I got the car. Cylinder #4 on the 2.5T cars is prone to have bad ring-lands. It slowly started to burn oil up to 1q/700 miles. They replaced the turbo first thinking that was the problem, So I essentially have a new motor (Rings and Pistons + Turbo) now.

Flemington Subaru tried to write up a ton of "aftermarket" parts on my car even though 90% are Subaru parts and the other 10% were ones not covered (shocks, tires, battery, etc) They tried to line me up for a warranty denial but didn't realize that I have a direct line to CFO.... It didn't end well for them after trying to deny the claim and actually out and out lied on the writeup.

:)

-mike
  • bob_b1bob_b1 Member Posts: 29
    Actually I think this is the forum where I should be posting about warranty.
    Purchased my car over the weekend (2010 Outback Premium with AWP CVT)
    The finance department at the dealership was on vacation so they used the outside company which could care less about me. So getting any deal on extended warranty was lost cause.
    Today I will contact my own dealer to acquire more info on the warranty, and also few more over the next few days to see what each has to offer. I am just concerned about the new transmission, basically I only care about things power train, and I would like to keep my car for the next 8-10 years moving. So here are few questions.

1. What is the major difference between basic and gold plus warranty? Will basic warranty cover parts that are vital for my car to just move? (do not care about radio or other things that are not vital)
    2. Does having less added optional equipment on outback will cost leas for warranty? I have nothing accept all weather package.
    3. How much should I pay for 7yr-100K or 7-85K with $50 or $100 deductible?
    4. Did any of you ever purchase warranty over the internet. I found Subaru dealer Mastria Subaru Raynham MA selling their warranty on eBay?
    5. and final question. Your thoughts on 3rd party warranty.
  • mnsubaruownermnsubaruowner Member Posts: 1
    I have not owned a Subaru and just purchased a 2010 outback v6. I was told I had to make a decision on the warranty at the time of purchase and stupid me said yes after getting an additional discount of $200 down to $1,795. From the sounds of other posts I can get the same cover later Gold plus 7 yr/100k. I plan on having the car at least 5 years and hopefully much longer so should I tell dealer no and get this warranty taken off and revisit down the road. Biggest concern is all the electrical stuff these cars have now!
    And increasing labor rates - $95 an hour nowadays for a dealer mechanic around here. :sick:

FWIW, it's an H6, not V6.
    If you can get it removed, I would go for it. You can add the extended warranty at any time during the factory warranty period (3 years or 36,000 miles) and will most likely be able to get it at a price much lower than you paid.
    Hi - in Sep I bought the Subaru Gold Plus 7yr/100k/ded $100 at $1,200 ... I can email you price of the other options, just click my name to have my email addr.
    You can purchase this from any Subaru dealers, plus you can do it any time before the new car 3yr/30k warranty expires.
    The good thing to purchase early is you lock in the price and have the choice of spread out into 10 months credit card payment without any interest.
    Sounds good also.

I think there is a surcharge for those on turbos, so that may be why we see price variance.
    This is my story about extended warranty with Subaru. Do not ever let the dealer to take advantage of you when purchasing extended warranty. When I bought my car at Liberty Subaru Libertyville IL I thought the best place to buy the extended warranty would be the same dealership. Well I was wrong. Mike Gottlieb (finance guy) contacted me and wanted to sell me warranty 7year 70k miless originally for $1,600 (100 deductible). I have refused immediately and he came down in price to $1300 what is still way to high. Than I started to call around all the Subaru dealers in Chicago land area. I will post all the prices. Just to let you know I have found the same warranty for $820 please see the prices down. All the plans are Subaru Gold Plus extended warranty plans.

Deductable/Plan/ Price

Grand Subaru IL

100 7/70k $1,115
    100 7/100k $1,500

The Autobarn Subaru of Countr

100 7/70k $1,230
    100 7/100k ????

North Shore Subaru IL
    100 7/70k $1,265
    100 7/100k $1,750

Bill Jacobs Subaru IL
    100 7/70k $820
    100 7/100k $1,280

Gary Lang Subaru IL
    100 7/70k $1,500
    100 7/100k $2,000

Gerald Subaru IL
    100 7/70k $1,500
    100 7/100k $2,000
    100 6/80K $1,500

Subaru of Schaumburg IL
    100 7/70k $895
    100 7/100k $1,595
    100 6/80K $1,195

Funny thing happened. I have ended up purchasing the extended warranty form the dealer that was out of state. Found them on ebay, decided to contact them and they were able to give me the best price
    Mastria Subaru
    Mastria Parts Online
    (888) 848-4309
    There is guy called Don he deals with all the online orders.
    He gave me the price on 7 year 100 000 miles Gold Plus extended warranty for $1175 ($100 deductable) Also you can do a 10 month plan no interest.
    This was a easy process. All over the phone and fax. I am waiting for my papers from Subaru.
    Bob - good buy - yours $1175 on 7yr/100k mi/$100 ded is $25 cheaper than what I bought here.
  • britgeezerbritgeezer Member Posts: 95
    I have several weeks before my OB will arrrive, so I'm just beginning to read about warranty stuff. A perhaps dumb, but anyway a simple question.

When you all mention 7/100K, can I assume that is that on top of the standard 3/36K warranty? Otherwise you would have to amortize the $ cost over only 4 years and 64K?
  • deshivelydeshively Member Posts: 2
    I honestly didn't know I could negotiate the price, too late for that. But I did buy the extended gold because in rural VT on isolated roads with no one around I really like the road side assistance. I have used it in the past in my other subarus and it really helped out with the wind whipping and negative 20 and I needed help. And with my new 2010 if I don't use it I get my money back. Hoping for the best, but not willing to take my chances and planning to keep this car util 2020 or longer if it keeps going.
    It calculates from the day you bought the new car... yes it is add-on, so the $1200 is actually for the rest of 4 yr / 64k mi after the standard3 yr/36k mi.
  • newsubewanewsubewa Member Posts: 1
    Thank you VERY much for this information. The finance dealer at my local Subaru dealer (Bellingham, WA) also recommended the warranty - for $1,700. I asked if I could decide later and he said that I had to make the decision at that time and I could always cancel it. Well, I canceled after researching prices online and saw this forum. I went with Mastria Subaru as well and received a great end-of year deal for 72months/80,000 miles/$100 deductible for $840.

Thanks again!
    Jamie
    Is that the Gold plan you received for 72months/80,000 miles/$100 deductible at $840?
    Sweet price...
  • 1hhead1hhead Member Posts: 18
    If you're "on the fence" about purchasing a warranty on a new vehicle with the quality reputation Subies have, please read this... And please don't flame a "counterpoint" about warranties here folks if you love them. My intent is only to offer some perspective folks...

A mature company like Fuji industries and Subaru USA has pretty darn good engineers and most importantly high quality suppliers folks. If this were a grade of car that was "bottom tier" of the manufacturers, I'd buy the warranty, but Subie and the Outback are NOT.

Every company builds different "grades" of car. The Outback is Subie's top of the line, bread and butter vehicle. They put good "grade" equipment into it.

The vast majority of electronics and mechanical items typically fail either early on due to "infant mortality" or at "end of life". Just a basic rule of manufacturing... I'm more worried with "infant mortality" and most issues on cars I've had in the past were showing symptoms well before the manufacturer 3yr/36K expired. We had a 2000 Honda mini-van for example where the tranny started to have issues early on. Honda replaced it free at 70K miles because we had noted it was showing symptoms at the 3 year service and I called Honda USA with records in hand to prove it (and they had one of the "quiet recalls" Honda is famous for with multiple TSBs about the tranny to boot). My point is that there's a good chance any broad-based issue with the product will be covered later on by a good manufacturer (just be sure to not take the dealer's first answer as the last one!)

Yes, folks are wondering whether the new CVT will last on these cars. This is a proven technology in the auto industry though and I am betting my money Subie's trannys will last at least 100K miles folks.

Will you really keep the car 3 full years PLUS another 35-40K miles when the real end of life issues start that the extended warranty covers? Folks who buy cars at the $30K price point tend to trade every 4 or 5 years... Is it worth $1000-$1500 for 1 or 2 years of insurance? My home owners insurance costs less for perspective!

Anyone leasing the car especially should NOT buy one of these warranties of course. (Don't think this happens often, but beware of dealers who might try it is all)

Can you put $1000 to work in a income-oriented mutual fund or other investment that earns 8% in CASH dividends annually? If so, you'll double this money every 8 years or so that can be used as your own warranty coverage for the vehicle or it's money in your pocket if you're just "average" in your experience with a Subie. Just pointing out that "self-insuring" yourself has it's benefits.

Hope this helps!
    Several good points, but let's keep in mind that lowers the price of said warranty.

It's more about piece of mind. You just don't worry about it.

Plus prices keep creeping up. In the DC area the hourly rate for a mechanic is up to $95! :surprise:
    I was so torn about this extended warranty, but decided to purchase. Yes CVT transmission is proven but not as much as regular automatic.
    If Subaru did what Nissan did with Murano (extended power train to 10 years and 100 K on CVT models) I would not even bother with the extended warranty. But since this is new to USA I would like to have this security blanket.
    Best of all if anything changes you can always cancel this plan and get your money back as long as it is before your 3 year 36k miles.
    I bought extended warranty 7year 100K for $1200. I will see how everything performs over the next 3 years and see I I will keep the warranty or not. If I start seeing a lot of posts on forums about problems with Outback I will keep it, if not I will then think about keeping warranty.
    Now that you have it I'm sure Murphy's Law will prevail and your Subaru will run 250,000 miles flawlessly. :D