Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

My H3 has a starting problem

awright2awright2 Member Posts: 5
I purchased a 2007 H3 this past June. I've enjoyed the vehicle for the first month until one day it stranded my wife and kids. The motor would crank, but wouldn't catch. After waiting about 10 minutes it started. This happend to her twice more so we took it back to the dealership for diagnosis. They couldn't duplicate the symptom but did find a tech notice saying the valve train needed to be replaced due to sticky valves that would cause the motor not to catch. They did the work and all was great for a month and then it did it again. This embarassing quirk is very intermittent. It always eventually starts but you're never sure how long to wait. And to clarify we have not moved any of the power seats prior to or after the problem.

Comments

• dwh3dwh3 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem. Have you found a solution?
    Thanks for any input. David
  • awright2awright2 Member Posts: 5
    Hey David, turns out it was sticky valves in the head. GM replaced the head under warranty and I haven't had any more trouble out of it. There is a recall for the 2006/2007 5 cylinder models and you should be able to have this taken care of at no cost.
  • ginoshummerginoshummer Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have the same problem. I called dealer to no avail where can I get the GM Info for warrenty. Thanks
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    That information should be in, or together with, your Owners Handbook.
  • pf3pf3 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same starting problem with my 2007 H3, when the engine didn't start it would shut down the fuel system because of the anti theft system. When this happens the theft light flashes on the dash for 10 min then it well start. My dealer changed out the ignition switch and it has been fine ever since. The mech. told me there was a service bulletin saying there was a problem with the switch.
    Hey thanks for the reply! I appreciate the heads up on the ignition switch, we may have to try that route in the future. I don't know if you saw my thread on changing out the head, but our dealer said there was a service bulletin saying the valve train would stick causing the engine not to catch. He changed it out under that warranty in July and for the most part it's been great ever since. We did have one incident that stranded us for about 10 minutes a month after the head swap but it hasn't happened again since.
  • sante65sante65 Member Posts: 8
    How do I get a hold of this service bulletin?
    I'd check with your local GM dealer. I bought my 07 H3 from a local Chevy dealer and it was their service dept. that informed me of the service bulletin. They performed the repair and I haven't had a problem since.
    How come my dealer knows nothing of this problem.
    I will try and get the service bulletin from my dealer and get it to you.
    Thanks, I would really appreciate it. I can't get the dealer to even acknowledge the problem since it happens so intermittently.
    Here is the service bulletin #PIT 4841 which refers to the ignition switch replacement for Int. no start.
    Did you attach a copy of the bulletin?

Thanks.

Sante...
    I don't have a copy of the service bulletin but have my invoice with all the info. but i can't see how to attach it.
    I tried to do a search for it on the net but received no results. Is this a GM techincal bulletin?
    What is your dealers name. I will give them a call.
  • vanuatuvanuatu Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am having the same problem but am located in Vanuatu (a small country in the south pacific) and we dont have a hummer dealer in the country. Do you know what the parts needed were then I can order them on line. Thanks.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    There are several issues causing the same non-starting problem in this thread; theft alarm / ignition switch / sticking valves in head.

Until you can diagnose the particular fault that you have, it would be unwise to start ordering parts.
    Here is the part #15795324 Ignition Switch">
  • oldstuntmanoldstuntman Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same kind of problem not starting, the security system locks me out for a period of time. Sometimes it works when I disconnect the battery for a minute. I think it's in the ignition switch? Does anyone have a copy of the recall notice? Please scan it and e-mail me a copy.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I may be wrong about this, but I recollect that the H3 is not on the ignition switch recall list.
  • cchhrriiss1cchhrriiss1 Member Posts: 1
    It is a known issue with the security system. My '07 H3 has this problem. The work around is: 1. Turn the key to On. 2. Wait until all the dashboard indicator lights stop/door chime stops. 3. Start engine. The easiest way to verify that it is the security system is: See if the security system idiot light is blinking when the engine won't start. Once the security system is triggered, you have to wait exactly 10 minutes before it will start. I've read where owners have spent $400 at the dealership to get this fixed but nothing fixes it. Don't get taken. Also it only seems to affect '07 or up to '07. '08's do not have this issue I do not think.
  • Blondie56Blondie56 Member Posts: 1
    I hate the Stealership in Grapevine. I have spent over 1000 in a week and still won't start. Replaced panel on seat 500. (No Not It) Ignition switch 400 plus not it. Two tows and they still can't find problem. Went out to start this morning on Mothers Day (Did not start. Waited 20 mins and it did. Auto store said battery 100%. Taking it somewhere else Monday. Hope its the BCM. Tired of getting screwed out of my hard earned $.
  • DaverceeDavercee Member Posts: 101
    Thanks for the tip, fellas! Managed to resolve it in no time.
  • undertaker53undertaker53 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a used 2006 hummer H3....had same type of starting issues....dealer discovered that my fuse box had corrosion and they replaced the key ignition...later same issue, this time it was the sun roof drainage tube was not connected and water had corroded the sensors for the bcm .....bcm replaced and all reset and even the Key fob that didn't work before .now works....