Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Journey Transmission "Clunking"

new2dodge1new2dodge1 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Dodge
I have a 2009 Dodge Journey with 3,400 miles and it has started "clunking" when putting the car into reverse and then into drive. It doesn't do it all the time. However - when it does do it - it sounds like the whole car is going to fall apart. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was normal. I told them I didn't agree. This is my first Dodge product and if that's normal - then Dodge has a problem. My two sons have Dodge products and theirs do not make this loud clunk. When I pressed the service tech more - he said they also tightened the axel bolts. Does this sound right? I have not picked up the car yet - I told the service tech I would drive it for a while and see if tightening the axel bolts solves the problem. Any feedback would be appreciated. My Journed is a FWD vehicle.

Comments

• Options
    mikesheldonmikesheldon Member Posts: 7
    need new u-joints
  • Options
    tcook78tcook78 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    I have a 2010 Journey SXT with the All Wheel Drive - 6 speed automatic. Like yours, it sometimes makes this major jerking/clunking when shifting from reverse to drive. Also like yours, it does not do it all the time. I would say it does it about 1 out of 5 times, maybe more. All I know is that when It does it, it feels like someone hit the bottom of the car with a sludge hammer that is how abrupt the shift is in the tranny when going from reverse to drive. I dont get it. It only has 11,000 miles on it. I'm going to take it in and have them check it out. I'm just not sold on the fact that they claim that that is normal. I just started doing it in the last 4-6 weeks. Never before did it do that. Will repost an update after I take it in. Come on Dodge get your **** together! 30 grand for these things and this is all the better they are built?!?! Give me a break!!!
This discussion has been closed.