Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series: Leather vs Leatherette Seats

kati2kati2 Member Posts: 1
I was surprised at the leatherette upholstery on so many 328 cars on the lot. According to the sales rep they are more durable. Dakota leather or leatherette, what do most people like?

Comments

• mowermower Member Posts: 18
    There was a time when dealers would try to sell all BMWs with the Dakota. They make more money and resale value goes up. If you compare yourself the leatherette is standard and you can get heated seats as an option, you may not see a big difference. Go look at a five series. They probably have the Dakota.
    Also, check the invoice in the window to make sure. It could be the auto you are looking at might have the Kansas Leather.

If cost is a big factor, you can save with the leatherette.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Well, there's leather then there is leather as in the dakota leather seats in my '09 328ix. I've been predominately an acura fan for years and they can't touch these seats. Even the "premium" leather in our '07 MDX feels rubbery compared to the dakotas. Now i can't say much about wear, that may take years. ;)
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    How much of the seat is actually leather? On the 1 series I drove recently, it struck me that only the center panels were leather -- the bolsters felt like leatherette.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    The whole seat is leather as far as I can tell as well as center consol and part of the doors.
  • lexhoulexhou Member Posts: 81
    looking @ purchasing a 2008 -328i have 2 looking at now. Can you tell very noticeably if it was dakota or leatheratte or should i ask them what veh has for seats.
  • htipplehtipple Member Posts: 1

There is a huge difference between the leatherette and the dakota leather. I own an '08 335i and the dakota leather seats still look brands new. This is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. If you want some luxury in your car, go with the dakota for sure.

• roadddog53roadddog53 Member Posts: 7

I tried to like the leatherette. I really did. I thought the money I'd save going with the leatherette would be put to other options like rear view camera and heated seats. At the end of the day, I'm buying a luxury car. I couldn't go with vinyl seats in a luxury car. That just didn't make any sense when I sat down and tried to nickel and dime myself. I don't regret it. BMW leather just feels and smells special. If I were in a climate where it rained and snowed, I might have considered otherwise I'm guessing.

• misterjohnmisterjohn Member Posts: 1
    Whatever you do, don't get the leatherette upholstery. My armrest and drivers seat cracked and tore, and I brought it to my BMW dealer and even though it was under warranty, they refused to repair it! I keep my car garaged at home and at work and take very good care of it. Apparently, BMW upholstery is not designed to last even three years. I escalated the dispute to BMW of North America and they also refused to take care of the problem. This is the last BMW I will ever buy.
  • rickdonrickdon Member Posts: 123
    Although leatherette is durable, leather seats are nicer and more desirable.