Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• lakebreeze1lakebreeze1 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2012
    That sounds about right. I changed my Mich's at 35,000. Were horrible in winter weather after the first season. Went to Goodyear Comfort Tread Touring. Quiet, better traction and tread life. Kept a very comfortable ride too. Am at 44,000 with this set and expect to get 1 more winter season out of them.

My brother put Nokian WGR2 on his Avy and is very happy as well.
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    Which would you say is the quietest, Michelin or Goodyear?

tx
  • lakebreeze1lakebreeze1 Member Posts: 8
    About the same. Have had the GY for 2 1/2 years so I don't really recall what the Mich's were like comparatively speaking other than when I made the change nothing stood out noise wise. In WI, winter traction is more important. GY have been better in the rain too.
    Decided to keep the Michelin tires on my car and just completed a 1,000 mile trip into the Black Hills of SD. The tires were just as good if not a little better than the Michelins that were on the car when I bought it.

Four of us was in the car and we had a lot of hills, stopping to view sites and some city driving. The trip took a hair less than 40 gallons of gas. I'm continually amazed at the mileage this car gets.

I haven't reset the computer mileage since I bought the car and it now reads 27.9 after 41,000 miles
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Member Posts: 37
    My 2003 XLS Avalon got 55,000 miles on the orginal Michelin tires, was going to CA so re-placed, actual believe I could have gone another 20,000 miles.

2011 LTD Avalon. 31,000 miles and the Michelin tires look very good. Rotate tires every 5000 miles and change oil at same time.

This is a heck of a car....like the power, gas mileage, and overal looks of car.
  • nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    OK, I'm curious. How does your 2011 stack up against your 2003? I had a 2000 before my 2011 and the 2000 is not near as nice. HOWEVER, my 2000 Avalon did steer easier. Odd! The 2011 beats my old one hands down in every way, except for how easy the steering was. Toyota must have change the power steering someway. One finger could steer my 2000 model. Literally, one finger.

Good information on the tires. Rotation is the key. I do not have Michelins on my 2011. I have bridgestone. 20800 miles and counting. Treat is fair, about 50% worn but just a guess.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895
    I'll chime in here. I had an 03 and then an 06. The only thing the 03 was superior in was the seats. The 06 was bigger, rode better, was more powerful, and got better MPG while doing it.

I loved them both, but would take the 05+ generation any time over the 2000-4.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I really liked the 03, put 110,000 no worry miles on it......the steering was better....

Now that said.....love the power on my 2011, and like the 6 speed transmission.

If I could have gotten a 2011 engine and transmission put in the 2003, it would have been the best of both worlds.

For those that read this.....I like the front wheel drive......I remember the mid 50's chevies and fords and the big engine Dodge and Plymouth, rear wheel drive with the big hump in the back seat.....the hump is gone.....so should rear wheel drive.
    Just completed a 1640 mile trip and averaged 28.7 mpg.

Haven't reset the computer mileage since purchase and it now reads 28.0. This will probably stay at 28 until I go south for the winter and it usually drops to about 27 during 3 months in the Phoenix area.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    I can't answer that other then to say, that's one of the things I don't like about my 2011, that being the steering.

As for tires, I have 36,000+ miles on mine, and the OEM tires (Bridgestone) are all but toast, and this sucks when you consider I had winter tires on it for 5 of the 17 months I've owned the car.

If I'm careful, I maybe be able to sneak by with these tires, but with 2 trips planned down south (about 3,500 each trip), I don't see that happening.

I did stop by my local repair shop, and they said the tires won't pass for a state inspection sticker:(

And I should add, 80+ % of my miles are highway. I'll be going to the local salvage yard to get some nice used tires to get me by, as I've got a 2013 Avalon on order, sort of speak - on order as in I got a deposit on one as soon as they become available, which according to the Toyota web site isn't until December:(

Skip
  • afischafisch Member Posts: 1
    gramz:

This is a reply to your message posted in Aug 12. I have not written on these forums in many years but thought I would help you out a little. Let me just preface this with saying, #1...I am not an expert but this is from empirical and car hobby experience, #2. I have a 02 Toyota Avalon 143K and two old BMW's, one 95 M3 and one 325ci with the Sports Suspension.

My Avalon is my DD and my favorite car. Yes, that is correct. Specifically, if you want you Avalon to handle more like a sports sedan, there are measures that you can do and you would be quite surprised at the results. No, it will not handle like a BMW secondary to the RWD and weight distro. But.....my Avalon handles and brakes so much better it is almost as good as my friends 5 series and alot better in areas such as HVAC, towing, and comfort.

Not sure what year you have but this is what you should do if you desire better handling and braking.

1. Change the shocks to premium aftermarket shocks...I put in tokicoHPs with remarkable results. KYB makes decent shocks too. These are the perfect aftermarket shocks for your car, as they are a twin tube, low pressure gas design and are superior to the OEM.

2. If they make(depending on the year), change your bushings, first sway bar, then control arm is needed to PU. These will increase, NVH, but will additionally enhance handling and responsive. This should be done only if you desire more than in step 1.

3. Other than 16" tires, I would not recommend bigger tires. Rather, the Grand Touring type of tire is the correct type for this vehicle.

You will love the difference and be able to take corners at nearly twice the speed as before. Note: All cars as this one have limitations. It will still not be a true sports car and will not handle like one. Drive responsibly and safely. Have competent people perform their functions.

abfisch
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the information but I can't see changing a thing. I'm not sure what I noted back in Aug. but I think we were talking about RWD and handling.

I say that because that's what you wrote about. I love my 2011 Avalon LTD and it handles good for a FWD car. I love the speed, how quick it is for such a big car. I don't like changing factory things. Again I wouldn't change a thing.

I'll say, I'm very impressed by the MPG on this heavy machine. How quite it is amazes me. Everyone that sits in the backseat always comments on how roomy it is. Really a Remarkable car!

Through the years I've own a lot of nice cars. My opinion this is one of the best, if not the very best.

The weight of these cars is 3600 pounds but there's an article that says the 2011 Avalon weight 4500 pounds GROSS weight. So I assume, that's with 4-5 people in it and the tank filled up and perhaps lugage in the trunk. I'm not sure what 4500 pounds gross weight means. Does anyone know? Either way, this car is heavy.

Thanks for repsonding to my post, 21 thousand miles and counting. :)
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    As you suspect, gross weight is fully loaded.
    I need to change the cabin air filter and went to the parts store and they show two available.

One is plain and one is charcoal.

Has anyone changed their filter and if so which one did you use?
    I have not changed mine, nor do I know where it is. Is it easy to change and where is it?
    It located in behind the glove box. There is real good instruction in Chapter 4 of your owner's manual.

The dealer wants $59.00 to change it and the parts store sells them for 11-15 dollars.

It involves one screw and takes 5-10 minutes if you don't get in a hurry.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    I am not a DIY person but I did change this filter myself. Instructions are in the manual and also on the internet. Saved some money, thanks to all who have posted about this, it really is easy.... :D
    Changed my own. Got the "charcoal filter"....Manual does a good job....but internet has some good directions also.

I changed mine at 27,000......just because I happened to remember when I was at a auto parts store. I took a "label and wrote that it was changed at 27,000".

Toyato service likes to change these......filter is "big bucks" and labor is spendie. Change yourself......take yourself out to dinner with the savings.
  • alicialalicial Member Posts: 1
    the knob on the dash, where the odometer is, if it is turned the brightest is adjusted, just fyi
  • neil1neil1 Member Posts: 20
    Anbody know a way to temporarily disable the (always on) Navi Map Screen - or at least make it not so bright - especially at night?
    Hit the "Disp" button on the bottom left side, then hit the "Off" button

Skip
    well that was easy - thanks!
    I don't get purpose of the flashing red secuity indicator? If the car is unlocked and in the garage unattended, the indicator is blinking? What is the significance of the flashing light?
    Neil1

This is common in all cars with a "security system".....Just let's you know the system is working, that's a good thing.........wear down battery?, don't think this is a problem, unless battery is on "last legs"
  • number4avalonnumber4avalon Member Posts: 13
    4 months ago bought '11 AV LTD Toyota owned replacing '04 AV LTD after 115K miles. I too miss the center info. display showing everything that must be located separately on the '11. Fuel mileage great, reset every third tank at about 1100 miles ave 27. to 28.5 MPG for half city and highway. Short trip from PA to NJ have had 33. MPG With the larger doors of '11, miss the standard door rub strip on my '04, '98 and '95 AV.to provide paint protection. Maybe need to add on my own. Has anyone updated the 10.1 Nav. disc. to the 12.1 for $169 from Toyota? Is there a noticable difference. The '11 is my 4th pre owned AV. since 1997 each bought with low mileage.
    Maybe this is rude, I sure hope not, but how much did you pay for your Avalon? You said you bought the LTD and I guess the nav. with it?? How many miles did your new Avalon have? I paid right at 36 thousand, maybe 34-35, I'm not totally sure because I traded a 2000 model in. I like this Avalon (2011) MUCH better. I also have an LTD without the navigation system. I know have 21 thousand on my car. I do agree this model needs a door guard to guard against door dings.
  • number4avalonnumber4avalon Member Posts: 13
    Not a rude request. A Toy. dealer since 4/11 owned the '11 LTD loaded. Had 13k miles and was one of three same year same equip different colors used as dealer courtesy cars. They asked $28K and I paid $22K net of '04 XLS trade. Would not have ordered the NAV and all that comes with it since I am modern tech. challenged but three choices all same equip. Most impressed with better fuel mileage than '04 with larger engine but 6 sp. trans. Definitely longer than th '04 AV. Must be careful how rain sensing wipers are set or then will start up in car wash tangling with the brushes. Usually park away from other vehicles to try to avoid door damage which also gives a benefit of more walking exercise.
    You are going to fall in love with the car. It's a wonderful car. I just traded mine in on the 2013, and well, I'm currently not sure, but I might have like the 2011 better?

Now give me a few months and I'm sure (surely hoping) I like the 2013 better:)

Skip
  • southcentralkssouthcentralks Member Posts: 10
    Took my 2011 Avy in for 30K service and drove a new 2013 LTD. I was impressed overall with the car's handling, interior finish quality and the quietness even after taking into consideration of being new.
    The front end was not quite as ugly to me as in the photos and videos but it was distracting. Kinda reminded me of the front end of the old Chrysler 300 of yore before the current model change of a few years ago. It was loaded with the BlackBerry QNX - Toyota (Entune) entertainment and NAV system and the electronic adjustable economy, sport and normal drive modes but it was not noticable. Listed at $40k. I am going to check out the Hybrid to see if the Camry propulsion system can handle the extra weight later this month.
    My wife traded her '03 very high mileage ES300 on an '11 loaded LTD at a Toyota dealer in late September. Net difference around 27K. The Avi was show room new w/13,000mi - a trade in that had been there less than two days. The previous owner installed door protectors which look like a factory install on the pearl white paint. We ponied up $700 additional and had the front end (half the hood, fenders, mirrors, bumper and door handle cups) covered with Clearshield -sometimes called clear bra - which is virtually invisible on the car. No more worries about rocks, gravel, and/or love bugs. I think the Avi trunk might be smaller than her (smaller) ES300 Lexus trunk was but all in we think it's great car.
    Make sure and give us updates on your 2013, I'm curious but I don't think I'll run out and buy one. I really like my 2011 and like I stated in previous notes I only have 21 thousand miles on it.

How's the leg room in the 2013? Power? Tell us more! Thanks for sharing,
  • mrbill541mrbill541 Member Posts: 2
    The steering column was placed under warranty after the mechanics put it on the rack and verified hearing the clicking. Similar problem and a recall with Camary I was told by service advisor. Recall for this on Avalon coming,I predict, as this fixed the problem.
    I had a clicking in my Steering column, it took me several visits for the dealer to finally locate the problem. It was very slight but I noticed it. The noise, movement bothered me so much I was just about ready to sell my car, then a tech noticed it. Today, all is good, it's the only problem I had with my Avalon so far.
    That was a common thing. My 06 had the clicking column. When I explained that I was feeling it my dealer fixed it without question under warranty.

Drove a 12 Avalon yesterday - I'm a fan anyway, but was quite impressed. Love what they did with the interior, drive was perfect, as always. Now, I guess I should compare the 13 with it one of these days.
    I thought you owned a 2011. Surely you don't have that many miles on your car. Lets us know what you think about the 2013. I am told the 2012 isn't any differnt from the 2011's. I am curious abut the 2013 though. Thanks for sharing,
    I had a 2011, which I just traded in on the All New 2013 Avalon:) Here is a quick run through of my thoughts so far.

***Some of this likely has changed, as I've now owned the car 6 days, but it's good reading until I do update it.

First impressions on my 2013avalon:)
    Ok, we'll I just got back from my first short trip with my new toy. Here are my thoughts.

First off let me me start with a BIG

Quiet, smooth, comfortable pleasant to drive.

Seats are much more comfortable then I expected on a longer drive.

The trip was about 200 miles round trip. Mostly back roads 45 - 55 mph, and light snow all day.

I didn't think about it until I tried to load CD's, as it appears it only holds 1. I'm sure this is because of entunes and the fact it can play a iPod.

I still find the switches / controls on the top right a bit to far, but not a big deal. The lights are very nice, both headlights for lighting the road as well as the interior lights.

Something odd, is that my cell phones turns on and off all by itself, which never happened with my old Avalon, and it is the car, because when the cell phone is on my desk at workor counter at home, it doesn't do it.

The front seat heater is very good and seems more powerful than my old Avalon.

The collision avoidance is real nice.

Right Now I don't like the new radio station presets, a bit more work then the old system, but I can see where it will be easier once I get use to it.

The 3 driving modes are interesting, but I didn't pay attention much attention to them yet, so I can't comment much. I can say you can see and feel the difference when you select each mode.

The electric steering is REAL nice.

I liked the 3 trays / pockets on the old Avalon better. Things seemed to fit better and easier.

I love the coin tray up front.

I like the digital speedometer which is handy when setting the cruise control at 9mph over the speed limit

I REALLY like the solid feel when opening and closing the doors

I'm sure there will be more as I get more time behind the wheel, but that's for now.

Skip
    Well almost 1,000 miles on it, so I'm getting more time behind the wheel.

- The rides is more comfortable but in an odd way. It feels stiffer, and you hear and sort of feel the bumps more, but not in a bone jarring way. The seats and suspension do a good job of soaking the bumps up.

- My radio doesn't seem to go up and down base on noise and speed like it should. I'll be reading up on this to see if it only works under certain conditions, or if the radio needs to be at a certain volume to work?

- Oh, the radio is awesome in the LTD model

- Wipers are real quiet:) A big issue I had with my 2011 Avalon

- The windows go up and down very quietly. Something I had paid to much attention to in my 2011, although you do have to hold the switches a bit longer to have them work automatically.

- Still NOT liking the radio station setup:(

- Electric steering is a nice touch.

- The backup camera seems so much nicer. The picture is clearer, cleaning, brighter and more crisp then the 2011.

- Not sure but the 3 driving modes are somewhat of a gimmick at this time. I leave it in "Normal" at this time. I will be going on a few long trips, at which point in time I will try "Eco" mode to see if it helps in the MPG.

- I will say, I've had several folks come up and say "Very Nice Things" about the car:)

- The front seat heaters WORK! Damn, on high you feel like your roasting your butt for dinner. Med is ok, and the first setting doesn't seem to work well at all?

- Wind noise hasn't been an issue yet. I'm NOT saying it's any quieter then my 2011, what I'm saying is, it's not any louder that I can detect.

I THINK I can say this and mean it.

IF I had driven a 2010 or so LS 460 L, and it didn't have to many miles on it, and I could live with the HIGH cost of ownership, and the higher cost for fuel (I drive 35,000+ miles a year, and a trip to FL from Maine would cost an extra $150.00, or about $2,000.00 more per year) Not to mention the higher cost of insurance and maintenance - $200.00 for an oil change! That would likely be sitting in my driveway, but this is a Very Nice option.

Ok, back to my New Avalon:)

A friend who I worked with many years ago at the local Ford dealerships went for a ride in the car the other day, and well, here is some of what happen.

Hey, Leo look at this cool feature, yeah that's nice. I've like that idea every since ford started putting that in their cars a few years ago:) ok, well what do you think of this? Yeah that's cool to, but sorry, ford's have had that for a few years now. Well this went on and on for a while, after the ride was done and I was dropping him off, I asked him, so what do you think, he said (in Leo fashion), nice, but you could have bought a 3 year old ford and got all that stuff for a lot less:)

- Trunk opening seems tighter. I don't like that, as I use the car a lot for making deliveries.

- The car is smaller inside, which is noted in the specs, I just wish it wasn't so noticeable. My passengers have said they fell a bit claustrophobic in front. That seemed a bit much to me! I will say, it maybe the different colors used, making it seem tighter. I feel it as the driver:(

Now some of you are saying "Damn sure sounds like he doesn't like the car, and or, why in hell did he buy the car"? And that is a good question.

YES, I like the car. That doesn't mean I can't find fault with it.

I also worked out a deal with my local dealer, which I wasn't going to back out of. In part he bought A LOT of marketing stuff for their Grand Reopening / Remodel, and I said I would purchase a new car if he did. He did spend A LT, so I bought the new car.

Here is an interesting wonder.

IF the car was to be totaled, would I purchase another one, or would I buy a 2012, or would I shop around for a late model used LS???

Skip
    I really want to thank you skip for giving us updates. I'm not in the market to buy one since I have only 22 thousand miles and I bought an extended warranty. It's nice to know what to expect if I ever wanted to buy a 2013 model.

One thing I love about my 2011 is the room on the inside. Especially the back seat. You said the 2013 was smaller on the inside. This is nice to know. I guess that's how they get the extra MPG. ??

Keep the undates coming, Thanks again!
  • djrc08861djrc08861 Member Posts: 52
    yes.keep updates coming.im thinking of buying a 2013 es 350 or a 2013 limited
    I thought you owned a 2011.

Nope, that wasn't me, I have a Lexus, but am a fan of the Avalon - despite it's differences in engineering, it's a great car for us Business People who need such a roomy comfortable sedan. This was the first 12 I have tried out, liked it a lot. Will be looking for a 13 to try out.
    If you like the 2012 for it's roominess - will NOT like the 2013. It is a Great car, but it is smaller, and noticeably I might add:(

Skip
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Member Posts: 36
    I have to agree with Skip. The 2013 is noticeably less roomy than the 2012.....and that unsightly front end! Very happy to have my 2012 in Sizzling Crimson Mica. Love the color!
    The 2013 Avi kind of reminds me of what Acura did a few years ago when they went through a redesign. Acura lovers wrote about the new Acura front end Falling From an Ugly Tree and Hitting Every Branch on the Way Down! People called it the "beak" and the "beer can opener" grill. What the heck were the Avi designers thinking??
    What the heck were the Avi designers thinking??

The same thing as the new Ford Fusion designers. UGH, I hope this isn't a trend.

edited December 2012
    My first impression on the 2013' front end was , "What in the world was Toyota engineers thinking"? My biggest complaint probably would be less room on the inside. (keep in mind I have not driven a 2013 model) EVERYONE who sits in the back seat of 2011 LOVES it. I have sat back there one time and I have to say, it's very roomy. For now, I'll stick to my 2011 Avalon. I have only 22 thousand on my car, and it mostly just sits in the garage. I bought the extended 8 year warranty (for peace of mind) so I should be ok for many years to come. If anyone buys a hybrid, I'll be curious to what they have to say.

I can understand changing the style (to appeal to younger buyers or different buyers) but to me it's like changing the coke formula. Remember years ago, coke had an excellent formula and then changed it for no reason. WHY change something if it's working?
    Why change something that's working?

Reminds me of what Facebook just did. The had 668,872 people voting, and of those, 589,141 said they were opposed to the new documents. Guess what, they went ahead and ignored the voters.

I think it just like the Coke fiasco also. In the end Coke went back to their original product. Hope Toyota does.

The only reason I bought the Avy was the room in back as we travel with another couple. I tried a number of different cars and climbed in the back see of all of them. Some of them I eliminated without trying the front seat so the room is very important for me.
    I say stick with your 2011, in hindsight I should have.

YES I love my 2013, but the 2011 was just different, and a little bit bigger)

Oh, for those interested in some folks thoughts on the Hybrid and why they did or would buy it, go here: (Nice active Avalon site)

- http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/311-4th-generation-2013/

Skip
    I understand if you have to change a car, then by all means do it. I don't drive much and my present 2011 has plenty of life left in it. Lets hope I don't hit a deer or something along that line.

Personally I don't think Toyota will go back to having a big back seat. MPG seems more important these days. Even though gas seems to be going down (for now).

The front end might change, but that's cosmetic, nothing more.