Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Ford Fusion vs. Honda Accord and Toyota Camry

2»

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...you're killing me here. If you're done comparing the models, I'll shut it down.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "you're killing me here"

Karen:
    Are you having a bad day? If you look at my post I am comparing Camry and Accord and the reason for their higher resale value and reliability ratings. That would be nice to understand if you were getting ready to purchase. If you feel the need to shut it down then please do because at the end of the day you are the one who matters right?
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    :shades: Well it does seem like the Camry can no longer compete with the Fusion and Accord. Was looking at Consumer Guide and even they note that the 2010 Camry has poor Build Quality. Consumer Reports withdrew the Camry as a Recommended car.

Their Best Buys include the Chevrolet Malibu, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Mazda 6, Mercury Milan, and Toyota Prius. (though given the lastest recall on the Prius, they will likely drop that from the list).

Our Recommended picks are the Kia Rondo, Subaru Legacy, Subaru Outback, and Toyota Camry. (though the Camry may soon be dropped given its current unsafe record).
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    I think the Prius will remain, other than a software problem which will be easily fixed, I don't see any reason for them to drop it. Had it become an issue same as the Camry is, then I can see them doing it.

I noticed the Fusion rating went up to 9.3. Not bad. What I am curious about, the Camry Hybrid is built in the same plant, doesn't it use the same pedal assembly? :confuse:

Toyota will rebound from this, Ford did when they had the Explorer tire issue, which was more Firestones problem than Fords. The Explorer is still selling well today, and a new platform is coming out soon, so Toyota shouldn't have any problems rebounding after this. What Toyota NEEDS to do though is improve the quality. This is reason #1 that I no longer own a Toyota, the quality in the Camry was sub par. When you can feel the springs in the seat just by pressing you palm down on it, something is wrong. When seats show signs of wear after 16 months, something is wrong. I have cars with over 120K on them that had less wear marks. When you can hear wind noise coming from the drivers door, something is wrong. When the factory installed sunroof doesn't close, or pops when you open it, something is wrong. So far with the Fusion, the only thing I found wrong with the car was a blemish on the drivers door panel which the dealer replaced promptly, and in less than 15 minutes. I have not found any quality issues with it since. The Fusion handles better than the Camry, is quieter than the Camry, and is better looking than the Camry, that nose on the Camry reminds me of Jimmy Durante.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    In general, the Fusion is well compromised between ride and handling, and is quiet too, combining the best of both worlds of Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. However, there is still room for Ford to catch up.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1) Re-design the interior IP. While the quality may be high, the design is unconvincing. The many small, similar looking buttons, complicated controls both for audio and climate, needs improvement. Accord is not much better, but still is. Camry is more simple and easy to control while driving. Also, redesign the funky steering wheel, included all controls to be in different areas, not all of them together which makes it hard to decipher. Also steering wheel size should be no bigger than the Honda CIVIC. It is a delight to drive - it has a sporty, nimble feel, due to its small size.

2) Interior door grab handles, similar to the Camry - or to the Lincoln MKS for that matter, vertically angled and open thru. So it is easy to close the doors, plus that the hands have a comfortable place to rest.

3) Glove box(es) illumination. Much more important than multi-color lighting all over the vehicle.

4) The CamCords feature illuminated ignition key ring. Why not offer that too..

5) Windshield wiper de-icer - found on many minivans. IMO it's a terrific safety & convinient feature and it's beyond me why more models doesn't offer it.

6) Wipers should cover more of windshield, both top and sides. Honda usually does a good job with that (with the exception of some models). And maybe add a hidden rear wiper?? Would that be too much to ask for??...

7) Re-design the signal/wiper stalk. Honda's is superior, both in looks and feel. smaller, with a firm-rubbery feel when activating. Feels much higher quality than most Fords (and GM's). Toyota's are also better, but IMO Honda's stalk is even better with excellent tactile feel. Also reposition the stalk to be straight, not facing upward. All those little details add a lot to the overall feel and quality of a vehicle.

I will add more when it comes to mind....

Otherwise, I feel that Ford did a great job, and is a good choice.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    What is this fascination with glovebox lighting? Turn on the passenger map light if you need to see.

If you want to see the future of Fusion interior design - check out the 2011 Edge interior. It blows away anything from the competition - including the Europeans.
    1 and 4, no argument there, but then again most people looking into the Fusion will know about the buttons if they read enough reviews, I knew the button placement was goofy going into it. Now had they followed the same center layout that they have in the Flex, it would have been so much nicer. The ignition switch would be nicer if it was lit. I dont mid the steering wheel size, drive an 18 wheeler and this one seems pretty darn small. :shades:

2, None of us have an issue with the doors, they seem to work just fine the way they are.

3, not much can be stored in the glove box once you put the owners manual in, so don't see a need for a light there, but I do see your point.

5, Ford makes wiper shakers that attach to the wipers that vibrate the ice off. I had heated wipers on a Veracruz, damned things always iced up.

6, haven't noticed a problem with coverage, with wiper skipping I have, but the wipers appear to clear quite a bit of glass.

7, placement in the Fusion is perfect if you drive 10 & 2, I don't need to hunt for it, but when at the 9 position, I am always searching for it. 1995 Grand Marquis, 1999 F350 and 2007 Towncar are all at the 9 position and a pain when I drive them. Not sure about the rest of that, haven't been in a Honda to know the differences.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    edited March 2010
    "...What is this fascination with glovebox lighting? Turn on the passenger map light if you need to see..."

Hey -- What is this fascination with interior car lighting at all? Just bring a flash light along if you need to see... and you're all set!....

I checked out the 2011 Edge Interior. However, I need still to try it out in person, and also read other reviewers opinions. It is high-tech for sure, but I am afraid it will complicate things even more..
    I agree, but the map light comes with the vehicle and doesn't require separate batteries.

Then again I also don't mind the prop rod for the hood - simple, cheap and never needs to be replaced.
    I also don't mind the prop rod for the hood - simple, cheap and never needs to be replaced.

And you don't need to worry about the struts failing and having that darn hood fall on your head! The prop struts on my F350 are getting weak, in the cold the hood fell on my head! Ouch! :sick:
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    Not to mention the price of those truts! I replaced them once on my Grand Cherokee, then when they went bad again, they got replaced with a 2x4...
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    I also experience a surge/touchy throttle on my 2010 camry when the engine is cold and the rpms are higher than normal at idle..as the engine warms up, idle engine rpm drops and the surge is no longer a problem..it is a bit disconcerting the first few times you drive it until you get used to it..
    Was yours a Hybrid? Mine was fully warmed up, well it should have been after 5 miles at 60 MPH. :P The Hybrid motor shuts down when you come to a stop, normally once you hit about 20 MPH and slowing the motor drops offline, but in my case it revved up instead.

Now a Prius had a stuck throttle, although I am skeptical that the dude just got caught speeding and used it as an excuse.
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    no, mine is a 4cyl le version..yea, I'm also a bit suspicious of that runaway prius claim..not to say that it really couldn't/didn't happen but with toyota's recent bad publicity and very "deep pockets", it wouldn't surprise me if there are not at least a few folks out there making bogus acceleration claims to make a quick buck...
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    I don't think the guy was using it as an excuse. The officer said when he saw the car the brake lights were on and he could smell the brakes!
    More information came out after I posted, and sure enough, this looks legit. Burning up brakes is very hard to do, you need both feet pushing down on the brake to do that, so unless the guy has 3 feet, it does look like his ran away with him. There are three ways to get the car into neutral, first move the shift lever to the right and hold for a few seconds, or push the park button while in motion, there is a failsafe that prevents the park pawl from engaging at anytime when the speed is above 3 MPH, so it puts it in neutral, the 3rd is to press and hold the power button for 3-5 seconds. If he did the first two and nothing happens, that is a genuine software glitch!
    edited March 2010
    "bogus acceleration claims to make a quick buck"

Did you see the guy on the news? He looked to me like he was shaken up. How is he going to make a buck? The first thing the court will ask is what is your loss? I have never seen so many people defend a company over a recall than this Toyota deal, what the heck is going on? Are people brain washed?
    The reports also state the cop who helped him saw him lift out of the seat trying to apply the brakes. Is the cop in on it too? So far everything is pointing to a software problem on this one, if anything the NTSB will find the cause.
  • dissmemberdissmember Member Posts: 1
    "With the improvement in the 2010 model year, Ford narrowed the gap with leading Asian automakers, including Toyota."

Fusion is a Japanese car. Built on Mazda’s GG chassis with a Mazda engine, it is a Mazda 6 that is re-branded to fooling American in thinking it is an American made car. In fact the Mazda 6 is more American built then the Fusion. While Mazda6 sold in the USA are assembled in Flat Rock, Michigan, the Fusions are assembled in Mexico with only 20% of the parts coming from USA/Canada. Japanese Cars sold in the USA like Camrys and Accords had more USA/Canada parts then the Fusion and assembled in the USA.
    dissmember: Here are the real facts:
    So US manufacturers assemble some cars in Mexico. Well so do Toyota, VW, Nissan, Honda, BMW, and Mercedes Benz. And even with some US-based manufacturers assembling cars in Mexico, the vast majority are still built in the USA. By the the domestic content of a Mexican-built Ford Fusion is still 30% versus the Japanese built Toyota Prius at 0%.

And GM alone employs more Americans than all foreign automakers combined; 40 percent of GM’s worldwide workforce is in the United States, compared to only 11 percent of Toyota’s.

Chrysler employs about 83 workers for every 2,500 vehicles sold, Ford employs 80 and General Motors 71, according to the Washington-based Level Field Institute. By comparison, Toyota employs 33 American workers for every 2,500 cars sold.
    Everyone: I started this thread in 2009 before the Fusion made car of the year. I did trade in my 2008 Accord and purchased the Fusion SEL 2.5L We have had the car 1 year 18,000 miles and it has been a wonderful car. No rattles,noises or shakes. we average 28 MPG which is 4 MPG better than the 4cly Accord that we owned. I took a lot of heat from the die hard Accord fans but it has been worth it.
    Cya
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I have to second your opinion about the Fusion. I purchased a 2009 Fusion SEL V6 in late October 2008. I have about 27,000 miles on it. It has been the best vehicle I have ever owned in my 54 years on this planet. I have commented to my wife frequently that this car has no rattles or squeeks and rides so smoothly. Everything from the seat comfort, Audiophile stereo system, auto climate control, to the great engine has been flawless. The car is as good as the first day I drove it off the lot. I have been running about 19 Mpg City and 26 to 27 Highway.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • tgozdalski1tgozdalski1 Member Posts: 34
    Last summer I rented Fusion for a week while vacationing in virginia. Overall I liked the car; it was I believe se 4 cyl automatic. It felt solid, handled well. For a week I averaged 26 MPG with about 70% hwy trying to maximize fuel economy. The MPG based on car display info. I expected a little better. The one think I did not care about was plastic aluminium like trim around edges of controls. Small think but looked quite cheap in the car. I looked into few options but in the end I bought certified 2007 accord lx sedan 5 speed manual with 34,500 on odometer for 14,100 PTD in Dallas area. I've been averaging about 32.7 MPG with about 85% hwy. My old 2000 accord lx manual as well is driven daily by my son. This one has close to 250,000 miles and gets about 28 MPG. Comparing 2010 Fusion to 2007 accord I would give a slight edge to accord but this is just my perception. Ford came a long way since ford tempo
    If you go according to the display for fuel MPG, you can get widely different readings. The only true method is hand calculating per tank, and average out over several tanks to get the correct FE. I have an 1999 F350 that according to the display gets 32 MPG. It really only gets half that. When I had Hybrids, I kept a little black book, marked down every tank, how many miles, and how many gallons, and after a year averaged it out, and it was not even close to the displays. My Fusion Sport reads 23 it gets 26, so I stopped using it.
  • yepmaybeyepmaybe Member Posts: 3
    your back brake pads are probably worn because of the new accord braking system, "EBD" electronic brake distribution, so while your nose diving each time you hit the brakes in your fusion, the accord comes to alot more comfortable of a stop..... just sayin
    Say what you what you want but when the back brakes on my 08 Accord were wore out at 19,000 miles and my front brakes still had 80% left on them I would say that it was poor design and for Honda to say it was "normal wear" well they lost 1 customer for life. Oh by the way my Fusion does not nose dive "just saying"
    This is normal for the rears to wear out faster, first, they are smaller pads and second they do most of the stopping. Just about all cars with rear disks will apply more braking pressure to the rear of the car, especially in a FWD car, than to the front. The harder you brake the more the fronts will brake until they are doing the most work. It isnt just the Honda's that do that. My Fusions rear pads were worn long before the fronts were.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    For the Fusion out of these 3. I have a 2006 Fusion SEL V6, very first year. I now have over 72,000 trouble free, squeak free, rattle free miles. As far as improvements to the Fusion, Yes, Ford listened to consumers and made improvements. I test drove a 2010 Fusion SEL 2.5 and the improvements are noticible. Interior is improved, ergonomics improved, the newer car seemed a bit more quiet, handling also more confident with good feel. Break light moved to trunk area for better visibility. Head rests for back seat passengers, just to name a few more.
    Have to disagree on that my friend. The front brakes do most of the work in regular stopping - that's why so many vehicles came with disc fronts but drum rears or smaller rear discs. When you brake it shifts the weight to the front.

This seems to be a recent development (rear brake wear) that has something to do with new parking brake designs and/or stability control.
This discussion has been closed.