Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

General Motors Fans

Comments

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    THAT is an adorable picture of an adorable dog!!!!!!
    That baby Buick is a little small, but I think Invicta would be perfect for it. If the French Canadians weren't so perverted, they coul've used the Lacrosse name up there all along and called this one the Allure.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    As time moves on, are potential customers even going to be old enough to remember the old names? Names like Centurion, Wildcat, etc are really in the past now.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    The Electra name trascends the connotations for some from past Buick names.

Centurion seems okay to me. And I think younger demographics would accept it.

I wonder if they could call the new Buick Avatar.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    As time moves on, are potential customers even going to be old enough to remember the old names? Names like Centurion, Wildcat, etc are really in the past now.

Agree on the really old names. I hadn't seen those, so if I haven't heard of them, most younger adults would not have, and there would not be any baggage.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    Agree on the really old names. I hadn't seen those, so if I haven't heard of them, most younger adults would not have, and there would not be any baggage.

I think some of those really old names though, like "Special", "Super", and "Roadmaster", NEED to stay in the past. I know this is politically incorrect, but when I hear "special", the first thing I think of is handicapped, mentally impaired, etc. "Super" just seems like a silly thing to name a car these days. It might have made sense in the 1950's as car names were evolving...in those days it was the Buick brand itself that was most important, not the model names so much. They were still evolving from the old simple trim levels like "Custom", "Deluxe", etc. "Roadmaster" also made sense back in the 1950's, when that car truly was a master of the road. It was a prestige car, the finest Buick had to offer, and back in the 1950's that really meant something.

"Centurion" might actually go over pretty well these days, in lieu of Battlestar Galactica and its revivals. Hey, on that note, maybe they could resurrect "Apollo"!

"Skylark" just sounds too quaint and nostalgic, but I think "Skyhawk" is a cool name, even if the cars it was applied to usually weren't. LeSabre and Century are good names I think, but are just too recent in buyers' memories. And as has been said before, "Park Ave" sounds kinda stuffy. I'll admit it. I drive a Park Ave, yet even I'll admit the name sounds kinda stuffy!

"Wildcat" actually is a cool name, but unfortunately the first image it conjures up to me is this roller coaster at Cedar Point in Ohio that broke down several times while I was out there last year, leaving some riders stranded! But, if it's any consolation, it's a German design! :P And the sucker dates back to the 1970's, so IMO it has a right to break down from time to time...
    >at Cedar Point in Ohio

You were at Cedar Point in Ohio? Did you go to Middle Bass Island while you were there?

I agree with Andre above about the names. Some like Roadmaster, Skylark, Century aren't too appealing...but some of the other names are. They are cooler than either an alphanumeric or some made up wimpy sounding name.
    You were at Cedar Point in Ohio? Did you go to Middle Bass Island while you were there?

Nah, we just went out solely for the amusement park. I'd love to see other parts of the state sometime though. I'm sure there's plenty to do, but we just did this as a Saturday-Monday trip. I do remember driving past the Lordstown Ohio Cobalt/G5 plant and seeing that big "The Cruze is Coming" poster on the side.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I remember a quote from a 60's Car and Driver road test:
    "The Buick Special Deluxe is neither."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Thanks, imidazol97 =)
    Well said.....Electra on a plug in ;)

-Rocky
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    thanks about the picture. That's funny, because I just got done rubbing her belly. I was praising her so she rolled over and wanted me to rub her belly. We usually have at least one Pomeranian in our house and they are very cute dogs, but this 1 2/3rd year old Chow Chow named Meggy May has me wrapped around her ample-sized paws. She's really a love bug...she cleans the ears of our two cats. :blush:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

".....she cleans the ears of our two cats."

Now that's classic.
    Wanna help design the next GM vehicle??? Here's your chance!!!! ;)

http://thelab.gmblogs.com/about/

-Rocky
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    The current issue of Road & Track indicates that a new Buick Regal will be based on the Opel Insignia, powered by a 220hp, 2.0L, turbocharged, direct injected engine, and offer a 6pd MANUAL transmission!. Moreover, they say the steering is responsive and the ride is not "floaty"!!!

If they can keep it under about 3400lbm, GM may offer the first competent Buick in my lifetime! Are we in the twilight zone or is GM beginning to awaken from a very long slumber? It's a pity that it took bankruptcy (and public funds) to get their attention.
    The Regal sounds like an impressive car, and it's nice to see a Buick with three pedals again. That said, FWD or AWD is a deal breaker for me...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Well, fugghedaboudit then. The car you're most likely to be interested in (Regal GS Show Car) has the 2.2 E.T. I-4T/255HP/295lb.ft./6-MT and is linked to a Haldex AWD with anE-LSD rear. It might beat out your wife's X-3 when your steering...

No RWD....sorry!

Regal GS SC

Regards,
    OW
    There was a Regal on a turntable at the DC auto show. I thought it looked nice, although from certain angles I think it looks a bit like a Nissan Altima. So maybe it doesn't get points for originality, but these days, I don't think there's too much that does.

The interior looked pretty high-class from what I could see of it.
    >So maybe it doesn't get points for originality, but these days, I don't think there's too much that does.

There are only so many ways a car can be shaped and tweaked to look different. Now that wasn't a problem in the 1958 models. ;)

If they put the worlds most advanced AWD system in it named Cross Wheel Drive, it's still a deal breaker??? The Saab 9-3 Turbo X put up some pretty impressive performance numbers on the track using XWD. Yeah perhaps RWD with XWD option would be better. Does this Regal's sister have FWD or RWD????

-Rocky
    Okay, my question answered FWD w/ XWD from Saab, as a option. They defintely need to make a "super" edition with the 2.8 Turbo or increase the pressure on that Turbo to get her around 300 ponies. GM has done experiements using the 2.0L that is in the Sky Redline/Solstice GXP/Cobalt SS and has achieve over 300 hp. :shades:

-Rocky
    I'm seriously thinking about trading my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in on a 2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS midsize sedan.

The one pictured is the one I'd try and get. 180 hp 4 cyl FWD, 6-speed manual tranny. Looks like a VW Jetta, huh? Do you like it? I have read some Edmunds reviews of it and they're saying the 6-speed shifter behaves better than the shifter on their Audi A4! This pup has a Rockford Fosgate 425-watt 10-speaker stereo, foglights, one-touch sunroof, 10-way adjustable driver's seat and cloth upholstery.

MSRP is only $23,200 for the 6-speed 180horse 4-cyl FWD. In comparison our '08 Lancer GTS came to about $22,300 when optioned out, but before T&L was added in. But this is a midsize sedan, the Lancer GTS is a compact. They say it propels you admirably through the twisties and freeway driving is quiet because Suzuki stuffed so much sound-deadening material in for you that it's dead quiet on the freeway.

I've got three more days off and now that I've read all of these reviews it's gonna be hard to not drive the extra 120 miles north of Tucson ta at least test drive one of these pups. I think I miss the stick shift too much from my two Kia's. :shades:

What'd'ya think, rock? That look has me frickin' hooked in, man! My wife is gonna have a frickin' University of Washington Husky on her hands keepin' me away from the Suzuki dealer.

Downsides are Suzuki's precarious position as a NA seller of cars. Humm...that's not enough to dissuade me. Come on, come up with a good reason I shouldn't test drive a Kizashi, rockford!

iluv,

I am the wrong person to ask for advice on a car that is non-domestic. However I will give you my opinion since you asked. I am very biased torwards General Motors, and I would like to see you give that new Regal or another Big 3 vehicle a shot at your business.

The new Chevrolet Cruze will be out soon and is also worth looking at. I personally would be concerned about Suzuki, making cars 5 years from now. From what I've read they aren't doing too good now that a market that sold 17 million is doing way less than half of that now. Is the Japanese, government going to keep them propped up forever??? They make a good motorcycle and recreational vehicles but cars??? It indeed looks like a Jetta, and the styling isn't a love it or hate it for me. I guess I don't see why you would want to bail on the Lancer to get another car more/less like it??? :confuse: If I was in your shoes, buddy I'd save up a few more bucks and get that new Regal, which looks bad [non-permissible content removed]!!! :shades: Just me though!!! ;) Where is this thing made at? What is the history of Suzuki, on the reliability scale? I recall they ranked torwards the bottom a few years ago. Is this an orginal design or does another car maker make one like it and this one is badge engineered???

Whatever you decide I hope you are happy!!!! :)

-Rocky
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    There was a Regal on a turntable at the Philly show as well. It reminds me of a smaller LaCrosse, which is not a bad thing since the latest LaCrosse is pretty darn nice. I couldn't pry my wife out of the LaCrosse this past Saturday when she saw it. She wants the loaded CXS model!!! I told her we'll wait until my Caddy is paid off, then we'll talk.
    GM had a great showing at the Philly Auto Show. The Cruze was there as well as the Regal, the Volt, and the hot-looking Stingray concept. The famous Cadillac Cyclone show car from 1960 even made an appearance!
    ...I heard a couple of guys at the Philly Auto Show looking at the Cadillacs and exclaiming, "Oh my God! The Cadillacs are all that! I can't understand how GM could be in so much trouble!"
    Cadillac Cyclone

Click on picture

And for 1960 became this

That's the original version of the Cyclone for 1959. For 1960, they shortened the fins and painted it silver as it remains to this day.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    That Caddy Cyclone would look great parked next to your Ford Nucleon......
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I was thinking how it would look next to an Aurora.

This is a wagon like version. There was a white, low slung car similar to Cyclone but I can't find a picture.

If they put the worlds most advanced AWD system in it named Cross Wheel Drive, it's still a deal breaker???

Yes. I've got an old Wrangler and my wife drives an AWD SUV so I have no need or desire for anything other than than a pure RWD driving experience.

I like the 1964 GM-X Stiletto:

Any car that looks like a prop from an Italian science fiction movie gets my vote...

at the end of 2006, the SX-4 crossover. I just got it all out of my system talking about the car mostly here on Edmunds, and never even took one for a test drive. None of my friends knew squat about the SX-4 back then, and may know nothing about it now, even. :sick:

Today my wife and I both had the day off from the hospital. We did our Willcox errands close ta home first, then put the Chow Chow in her room and made sure the freshly groomed 20-lb. Pom had everything out in the main part of the house he needed, and took off for Tucson.

Lots of stuff to do there, too, shopping and such. To the dentist to get records of 2009 dental expenditures for my soon to be Fed/State income tax preparation session. Etc., etc.

Man, rockford, I love our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. Especially after running through the Arizona Car Spa carwash on Grant Ave. That puppy shined. What's more, Mitsu did a great job on this car's steering and handling. The RISE engineering in the front and the suspension tuning and solid steering setup was all working great today and I was enjoying gunning it in to turns. Much like the two buddies in the Mitsubishi Lancer commercials that were on TV a few years ago when my model was new. It handles quite well.

The 2010 Suzuki Kizashi will have ta wait till later for me to investigate more about the car. I am just too busy to go car shopping! That will force me to just naturally cool my engines and stay put. Do not pass Go or collect $200. Holding pattern.

From the research I've done so far the Kizashi is a really decent midsize offering from Suzuki. They have a lot of incentive to do it right, Mitsu was in that position about 3 years ago when my '08 Lancer GTS was being produced in Japan.

I love car research when it pertains directly to a potential purchase. That's when it's the best. Studying Suzuki reliability charts on the SX-4 and others would seem appropriate.

As for GM, maybe the Volt would be worth researching a tad more. But $40,000? Ouch. Suzuki only wants $23,334 for the optioned-up midsize Kizashi GTS model, in 6-speeds and foglights, sunroof, 425-watt max RF 10-speaker stereo w/sub, USB hookup-ready, 10-way adjustable driver's seat, bluetooth, etc. 7-year and 100,000 mile powertrain Warranty, too. Vivid Red would be my color selection.

If the new Volt is reliable it might be something for us to take a longer look at. I do kind of like the body style. The new Cruze is kind of nice but is only slightly more interesting looking than a Honda Civic to me. Obviously not saying much.

Thanks for your reply, rockford. Hope you're not freezing up over there in MI. Home of Terrible Ted Nugent and his weekend warriors. Wonder what singer/guitarist Derek St. Holmes is up to these days.

Does Kia still make the Rio? I was at the Philly Auto Show and they had a whole bunch of Fortes on display, but no Rio. I saw the Kizashi as well. What is a "kizashi?"
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    What is a "kizashi?"

In Japan, it is like a quiche using raw fish. Fish is added about 3/4 through the bake time in the oven. In Korea, it is like a souffle.
    I think the Rio is still made. A friend of mine just got one as a rental. He wasn't thrilled - no cruise control.

Kizashi is the sound you make when you sneeze :shades:

I don't mind the little SX4 in wagon form, but the sedan is weird looking...the split A-pillar doesn't seem to balance well in notchback form.
    LOL, well you better get that bad boy paid off soon!!!! :P Gotta keep those wifes happy!!! =)

-Rocky
    Awesome!!! :)

-Rocky
    That news CTS Coupe is so awesome!!!! :) Edmunds had a "first drive" video they posted on insideline that was neat!!!! :shades:

-Rocky
    Gottchya!!!

-Rocky
    No problem, iluv. ;) A Saab 9-3 might be worth looking at also ;)

-Rocky
    with the General? Mass produce those Nano's over here and sell them out of GM lots. 0-60 in 13 seconds, 60mpg and a price tag of about $8,500 for ICE Nano's.

See if BO's Administration would OK rebates if the Nano's are made all-electric. Make the range about 225 miles. Because it holds newer technology the all-electric Nano's would need to have price tags of about $12,995. Got everyone's ticker ticking faster?

Then I might buy a GM product, rockford. Now that all of your all's grey matter is ruminating what do you think? GM could have a future for iluv yet still!

iluv,

Those Tata's are piles of recycled tin foil!!! Are you serious??? Selling such a piece of crap would set back any image rebuilding progress made. I also don't want cars made in 3rd world toilets sitting on our soil!!!! ;)

-Rocky
    could you please tell me how you really feel about Nano's? I'm just kidding about them. I wouldn't want one, but, my wife, who's not really, umm...car literate, says she'd be all right with buying one for a Willcox, AZ, grocery-getter.

She's since retracted that want. :D Thank goodness.

Insert head on top of stump. Start chainsaw up and place it neatly over the object. I know...I'm not saying who's head is on there, perhaps I meant my own head.

I did mean my own head. :surprise:

iluv,

You should know by now Rocky isn't good at sugar coating his opinions. If we weren't edmunds buds well I would make a better effort to powder my response. :blush: If you want a jelly and glazed response well I suggest you talk to a politician. :D I'm just glad your wife has seen the light!!! If she wants a grocery-getter you can find a solid pre-owned automobile. I paid $6,875 for my 2000 Grand Prix GTP that had 25K original miles and was a one owner. It is 10x the car any Tinament from Tata will make!!!! :shades:

-Rocky
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Never say never.

Tata Nano Now a Status Symbol in India (Inside Line)

But let's get back to GM eh?
    Equinox Enjoying 50% Conquest Rating

Equinox has a 50% rating on number sold into households that do not have a current GM product. That is despite a $1000 loyalty rebate for GM owners, which would increase the sales to GM-owning households.

Awesome!!!! :shades:

-Rocky
    We checked out the Equinox at the DC auto show, and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I actually prefer the GMC Terrain version because I like its boxier, "trucky-er" look, but I know a lot of people don't like the overdone front-end.