Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Camry 2011 transmission problem

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    If you research thru the forum, you will find other posts questioning the noise, as well as the fact that it's documented in the owners manual. It seems to be very noticeable when the vehicle is new, and I immediately noticed it on our 2007 when it was new.

Seems like after a couple months, you won't even hear it.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..clunking noise is common.."

While I wouldn't call it "clunking"(***) the noise is common to ALL new cars. The ABS does a self-test shortly after you put the car in motion.

*** "soft" clacking, or pronounced "clicking".
  • buttons973buttons973 Member Posts: 20
    Wow!!! Unbelievable...i keep telling the service tech at the dealer that I believe my transmission is the problem, but he insist there is nothing wrong. I even test drove another 2011 Camry Se and it drove better. Could you please elaborate on exactly what your car was doing before the transmission gave out besides the check engine indicator?

My car is pulling back as it changes gears, similar to a yo-yo effect. Also, when it changes gears, it clunks in to it. I am also noticing more that more when i press my brakes. It would jolt me forward a lot, pull back, then take off. And if i have to stop suddenly, then give it gas, it jerks me a few times as it is jumping in gear. Sometimes I think my brakes are slipping. Driving that car is a task instead of a pleasurable journey. I really hate driving it now.
    Well my "clunking," noise happens as I am driving. One day it clunked so loud i thought i ran over something. To me it seem as if something in there, like a belt has popped.
    Yes, this is an issue of mine along with many many others. My car is a piece of crap. I hate driving it. I called the Toyota Customer Experience at Phone: 800-331-4331. Right now they advised me to go to the dealer and have the service mechanic ride with me in the car (this was already done before though) and let him diagnose the problem with me. Like you said, finding the time is hard. But i guess i will have to take off one day to do so. It a shame you buy a brand new car and less than 2 weeks you notice issues that they don't want to own up to. They were so persistent in convincing me to buy the car and once i signed the paper, they knew i was the proud owner of a "piece of crap!" I bet they laughed as i drove off the lot. Keep me posted on what happens when you call that number. Good luck!
    Hello,

How is your car driving now? Just checking to see if it had improved. Mine is driving worst now, every day it is worst. Did you ever file your complaint?
  • delbardelbar Member Posts: 32
    no, no improvement yet - have 3500 miles on it now and it sucks
    have not had time to file the complaint but will be off a few days in april so may pursue it then, also may call the dealership again this week
    and refer them to these posts
    to reiterate - i was thinking of trading in for a ford escape but have read many issues with their tranny as well !!
    this is just so disconcerting -
    i pray every time i get in this car that this issue will resolve itself but so far no luck
    we all need to call toyota headquarters and we all need to file with NHTSA to see if it does any good at all
    it is finding the time to do this when you work full time and take care of a household - spending time on car issues every day is just not feasible and that of course is what Toyota is banking on, us just going away and living with it
    also, i am afraid to keep having my vin # recorded on service issues due to when trade in time comes it may effect the value when they pull a car fax !!
  • alipoushalipoush Member Posts: 1
    yes body i am h aving same problem from 2 weeks ago and finally this morning i got off couple houers and took it to dealer.the technition test drive it and said it is normal.i hate to drive like this .this is a brand new car man i work hard to pay the payments.i dont realy know what should i do.i hope it is realy normal.
  • kcalriverkcalriver Member Posts: 5
    I will speak to a Toyota Certified Mechanic today an see what his response is concerning the noise and let you know. This friend does not work for a Toyota dealership....so he will tell me the truth. I will share the response.
    Yes, please find out and share what he says to us. I'm going to post another comment to this forum explaining what happened to me when I took my car to the dealer last Friday.
    I took mine to the dealer again and the technician said it is a characteristic of the car and it is normal. Funny how they are using the same term, as if it is scripted or they were told to say that.
    I finally took my car back to the dealer last week. When i got there to have them check it out and drive it, the car wouldn't duplicate many of the known issues. When i told the mechanic that i just drove my car from one side of town the the other pushing 80mph, he suggested that my car was probably warmed up; therefore, it wouldn't duplicate the issues at the time. That was a very good analysis. He asked me to drop my car off and come back the next morning, so they could see if the issues occur when the car is cold. However, I couldn't make it back up there due to personal issues to get that done. I will definitely be doing that soon though.

I think this mechanic made a very good point though, that when the car is cold, those issues may occur more often. This is just a thought.

In addition to taking my car on that test drive with the mechanic, he did tell me that this car has a hard downshift or something like that and many people are complaining about that. He said he don't know why it is doing that, but it is all probably related to the computer in the car. He said that Toyota needs to send out an update for our car so it will stop doing that. My suggestion for everyone who is having issues is to KEEP COMPLAINING to Toyota and hopefully they will see this new transmission that they have put in our cars is a piece of crap and do something about it. The mechanic would drive my car because he said he know what is going on, but there is nothing they can do on their part.

Rest to assure that we aren't the only ones complaining about this. But i think it is awful how many of us are being told the same thing about this being a "normal characteristic" of the vehicle, a learning process, etc. I think this is trickery because when we first drove the car, it did not drive like that. But after so many miles, the truth comes out about the vehicle. I really think that is trickery and so fraudulent on their part. Because had i known this car is running off a "learning process" I would have never brought it. I thought this car's engine and transmission was as powerful as the other cars I test drove (Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion, etc). Instead, this car is a piece of crap and it is difficult driving it. The other day i went to jump into traffic and the car stalled a bit before the transmission decided what gear it wanted to jump in. Oh and by the way, the technician told me that this car does have to decide which gear it wants to go in and that's why we feel that downshift at times. How about that! I don't have time for my car to be trying to figure out which gear it want to go into when I'm trying to get out into traffic. That is DANGEROUS! It should already know.

My suggestion to all is to keep complaining. We paid too much for this car to be unhappy. Please keep us all posted on what happens on your part.
    "..jump into traffic....car stalled a bit..."

You undoubtedly experienced the 1-2 second downshift "re-acceleration" delay/hesitation common to the fleet since at least 2003.

Toyota seems to be doing their best to eliminate or shorten that 1-2 second delay but the fact of the matter is that with the new (as of 2000) real-time ATF line pressure control technique some delay, mostly random appearing delays, are inevitable.
    The car stalls when I'm driving it as well. Not just when i jump into traffic. As i am accelerating, and it is switching gears, i feel it. Regardless of the fact, when i brought this car, it drove better than it is now. No customer should have to go through this!
    "...stalls.."

Or does the engine simply not respond to a depression of the accelerator pedal for a brief time...?

As of 2008 there is a firmware routine that "watches" the rate at which you lift the accelerator pedal. Slow/easy and the tranny will upshift assuming you now mean to moderately cruise along. Quick/rapid and assuming you were previously accelerating, even moderately, the tranny will remain in that lower gear to afford you a bit of compression braking.

In the latter case if you should then return to acceleration fairly quickly the tranny is already "armed".

If the tranny should "mistakenly" upshift, then when you quickly return to acceleration the DBW system will enforce a delay in engine rising torque until enough ATF line pressure can be attained, pumped up, to accomplish the now required downshift.
    wwest...are you a Certified Toyota Technician? Everything I say on here you seem to have an answer for. This is how I look at it: when i test drove three Camry cars before purchasing, none of them had this downshift, upshift mess. The car drove smooth, shifting properly. When i pressed the brakes in these cars, the rpm did not shoot up to 1000 before it stopped. When i braked in those cars, it stopped. It did not jerk me forward before deciding to brake. When i jumped into traffic, the car did not stall. It took off. When i was driving 45 to 65mph, and i let off the accelerator and pressed it back down, the car didn't stalled, nor did it have to decide which gear it wanted to be in. When i got my car, it did none of the above. It finally started doing that after i took it on a long trip and it had reached a little over a 1,000 miles.

So could you please explain to me, after 1,000 miles, why my car decided it wanted to do that? Could you please let me know, why those cars on the dealership lot, don't drive like mine. The technician i talked to even agreed with me about certain things.
    Sorry, when i say the car stall, i meant to say the car seem like it wanted to stall. You know, back in the day when your car is running out of gas and it putts a bit before the gas flows. That's what i meant. Sorry about that.
    I had a 2005 Camry for six years - had no issues with the car at all NONE
    now this one - one day this week it drove so well I thought perhaps the issue was resolving itself, no such luck, still jerking, and feeling like it wants to stall and braking and accelerating is rough.
    If this is normal then there are a lot of dangerous cars on the road.
    Called Toyota because I read where there is a TSB on some of the Camry's but the Tech that I spoke with has not called me back, that was 3 days ago !!
  • clearview1clearview1 Member Posts: 5
    I have been working on cars since I was nine years old, which has been 24 years of car mechanic hands on experience, I just purchased the 2011 Toyota Camry base model, which I like the color and interior, however I was totally surprised at its transmission performance. with my diagnosis of this particular vehicle, I will try to explain how to operate this vehicle without the problems you experience, first: when you start the vehicle and begin to drive off you will hear a duh duh duh duh duh sound from the rear of the car, this is the abs system performing a test, and it is normal, I would not like to hear that but that is how it was designed. Second: Toyota says the car learns how you drive and saves the data in the cars computer, however I say learn your car, what were you doing when these problems happened, avoid repeating these processes, because it will store the bad data, here is what you do, this car is no mustang slow down, let the vehicle in front of you take off and get a couple of car lengths in front of you before you take off, don't jack rabbit just give it a little gas the car will respond, drive the speed limit saves gas saves tickets, don't follow to close to other vehicles, allow at least three car lengths distance so you can brake without slamming on the brakes when cars are turning which will avoid accidents, when braking apply steady pressure, tapping the brakes when you can, because the car has brake assist, and what happens when you apply the brakes the engine gears down and depending on your speed that just might be 6 gears to first gear { when you apply the brakes the car thinks you are coming to a complete stop so it gears down and when you give it a lot of gas it has to gear up again and it confuses the system, it thinks you want to stop and it will jerk a little until it goes in the gear needed to take off again}. Since I have been driving my Camry I take off slow, not real slow just pushing the gas just a little cruising at the posted speed limit, when braking I tap the brakes when I can, and if I have to apply steady pressure, it is constant not real hard the brake assist will kick in and stop the vehicle, you will feel the car gear down, avoid slamming on the brakes a lot which states in the manual, I hope this is some help it is hard to explain in writing, since I have done these proceedures my Toyota Camry rides great without these issues, however this does not rule out the software update needed for these vehicles. ( Problem cause, the brake assist feature) ( software Update needed). it may take days for this to be relearned in the computer you can have it reset at the dealer.
    The new Toyota Camry from the car lot is driving on the default settings, it is when you drive the car for some time it begins to learn how you drive, these cars take a long time to processes i would rather have the default setting all the time seems more accurate, if I have to put on the brakes a bunch of times when I begin to take off again I touch the gas just a little before I give it more gas to take off to let the computer know I am taking off again and not stopping so the transmission will not jerk, these cars can not process repeated braking, and taking off fast, it just simply confuses the computer, this is why I say in my earlier post on driving slow just the speed limit, you have to drive the same way everyday any changes will be registered in the computer, If you drive fast today and slow tomorrow it takes that data and stores it, and it has a hard time trying to figure out what your doing. basically what I'm saying is we have to slow down to the computers speed which is really not that slow after you get used to driving this way, I hope this was some help.
    Another problem I found with the 2011 Toyota Camry, is when you crank the car up after it has been running for some time, and the engine is warmed up, when you turn the ignition to crank the vehicle you get a over cranking sensation, how to prevent this is to turn the switch, and let it go imediatelly, these new cars defenitlly dont operate like the old ones, I hope this was some help.
    the sound of the abs performing a test or setting itself is just a sound much like the doors locking on my car - only it comes from the front passenger side of the car - and only happens at about 10 mph in the a.m.
    as far as driving fast, i never do. I drive the speed limit at all times or in most cases I am in bumper to bumper traffic to and from work . I have noticed a slight improvement this week but must say I am afraid to say that !! I have been staying on othe gas pedal even when slowing down and not giving it gas then when ready to brake I lightly touch the brake pedal to let the car know I am about to brake. This is all so foolish to me - never in my life have I had to "tell" a car what I am about to do. I did get a call back from the dealership but dont know really what they can do AGAIN. At times mine will go too fast when you give it a little gas then it levels off, or other times you can't get it to move forward with much momentum at all. Only way I can describe it is - feels like a giant rubber band pulling the car back. Same thing happens when braking as well
    we shall see what the dealership says on trip #3 this week I will ask them to check out every possible issue with ECU - TCU -PCM etc etc

meanwhile I say a prayer every time I drive !
    sometimes I also hear what sounds like a spring being released under the car when taking off
    the giant rubber band feeling is the engine gearing down mine does that to, if you are in slow traffic you will also feel the transmission gears feel like they are having a hard time turning loose if you are in slow traffic, you can use the s shift in 1st or 2nd or desired gear then these problems want happen. it can not gear down in s feature, i barely touch the gas pedal. the car also has a gas brake overide if you have the gas pedal and the brake pedal pressed at the same time only the brakes work, i believe a lot of these problems will go away after the cars are driven for a long time. i traded a 2003 mitsubishi montero sport in on the 2011 toyota camry, and the mitsubishi would do some crazy stuff to it also geared down when slowing down like the toyota, when my camry started doing all these problems i said wow, if i could only drive it and show you, simply have them to reset the learned memory, i drove mine fast for one day to see if it would not do any of these problems but there it was, i just cruise the car thats all i can say. i have learned that cars now days dont operate the way you want them to. all i know is it works for me, i also build computers and i understand how software thinks.
    having a hard time believing the spring
  • olt1892olt1892 Member Posts: 12
    "The new Toyota Camry from the car lot is driving on the default settings, it is when you drive the car for some time it begins to learn how you drive, these cars take a long time to processes "

Wow the new Camry learns the driver's driving style?
    Does it know that a different driver (e.g., husband vs wife) is driving it and save the settings separately?
    edited April 2011
    Confusion reigns supreme.

The engine/transaxle ECU "learns" to fine tune all the sensors and actuators beginning the moment the engine is first started at the factory. Some of these "learned" settings/parameters can be reset to the factory default by removing the battery supply and must be learned again.

The driving style learning is a separate issue/task and is reset each and every time you start the engine. The driver learning record is continuously recorded and is only about 15-30 seconds so if you change your style on the fly it will quickly adapt.
  • unidriverunidriver Member Posts: 2
    "The other day i went to jump into traffic and the car stalled a bit before the transmission decided what gear it wanted to jump in. Oh and by the way, the technician told me that this car does have to decide which gear it wants to go in and that's why we feel that downshift at times. How about that! I don't have time for my car to be trying to figure out which gear it want to go into when I'm trying to get out into traffic. That is DANGEROUS! It should already know."

Ummmm, you DO know you can shift it manually, right?
    "....you Do know you can shift it manually..."

Most likely not....

"..jump into traffic..."

The downshift delay was more likely than otherwise the result of the DBW enforced 1-2 second delay/hesitation due to the line pressure real time control needing time to PUMP-UP the pressure.

Manual downshift would have produced the same result.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi Clearview1:

OUTSTANDING explanation! ------ I have used these skills on my 07 XLE V6 Camry! ----- These new vehicles DO NOT operate like the vehicles of years ago. ----- Drive by wire is VERY different, ---- especially in the snow!------ Best regards. ----- Dwayne ----- :shades: ;):)
  • flbntzflbntz Member Posts: 43
    clearview1, I agree with you. I just purchased a 2011 Camry base AT, and I had to get used to it, coming from a 2010 Golf AT gas engine. This car is more for soft driving, the Golf is more for ripping around. I like this car. It's peaceful. I found myself, "Getting in the race", on the highway with my Golf, which it could easily do, but with the Camry, I'm content to let the rest of the world go by. It's peaceful to drive, and I do allow more car lengths in front of me, don't drive suddenly turning one direction to the next. It's quite nice! People sometimes pas me furiously, and I don't care, for some reason; I'm happy in my Camry. The anti-road-rage car!
  • gdw2gdw2 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    Hi All, I unplugged my battery for >15 minutes, as discussed above (2011 Camry SE 4 cyl). This worked for me for 100 miles. Had a smooth commute to work that day! It then began to go back to the chugging/weird shifting. I just had my 5K servicing done and asked the Service Consultant about this issue. He turned to a mechanic behind him and asked and he said there were some software updates for some vehicles. The Service Consultant looked up my VIN number and told me that my vehicle would fall under the transmission software update that is out there....so ask for them to look your vehicle up. I am scheduled to have the update next week. Will let you all know the outcome.
    Thanks very much for this tip. Going in for my thirty day service Monday. I'll ask about this. Good luck with your update. Thanks, if you'll share the outcome. That'd be awesome, if they could fix this. Like the car so much, this'd make it even smoother. Thanks again!
    do you have anything to report after the software update ??
    taking mine in for its 5000 mile oil change in a few days and want to ask about it
    thanks for your reply in advance
    Just took mine in for the 1,000 mile check-up, and forgot to ask about the update. Called back later, and they said they'd have to hook it up to a computer, to see if it had the latest software in it. Emailed two other dealers in the area, and neither answered my email.
  • gdw2gdw2 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    Brought it in Friday morning and waited, only to find that there ISN'T a software upgrade for my car. Service Tech indicated that it has the most recent software. They must have looked it up to verify further, because when I headed out to get the car, it never moved from it's space. Before heading out, spoke more with the Service Tech. and asked if I could be notified somehow when an update is available. I guess they can't do that and he said to ask at each check up.

I asked about the tranny "learning" how I drive and he said it does. I asked about other people driving it and he said it would get to know their driving habits, that it keeps learning and adjusts to what you are doing...not really sure about this (how often does it change it's habits? Right now I see it changes every 100 miles). He indicated this is why the car ran smooth for the first 100 miles, it was learning. Told him that I cleared the memory by unplugging the battery. He said that would do it. He offered to have them "clear my memory," but that would be just like what I was doing with the battery.

I have changed some driving habits and it seems to be adjusting a bit better. The learning is all about fuel economy and the brake assist-downshifting we feel he said.

So, there ARE updates out there for certain styles. Not sure why when the 1st Service Tech looked up my VIN number he indicated I was up for an upgrade and we made the appointment right then and there. My dealer is actually very good with communication and a complaint handler will be calling me this week to see how I made out....I will let her know my disappointment. Once again, ask twice before you go in and wait.
    That's a shame about the update. I emailed three Toyota dealers in my area, asking if they'd heard anything about an update, but none of them replied. My current dealer said they'd have to hook it up to their computer to check to see if it has the latest software, when I called them on the phone. I can live with it the way it is, but it would be nice if they could smooth this out, wouldn't it?
    "Smoothing" it out would most likely have an adverse affect of FE and that just isn't going to happen. Even if the result were positive it can't be done absent a full battery of tests and results proved to the EPA.
    Could the rough shifting result in premature demise of the trans? I had a 2004 Chevy Impala that did this, and the trans went at 100,000 miles.
    I took my car to the dealer yesterday as well and ask about the update for my 2011 SE and when they looked it up, they said there wasn't an update. So we began talking about the issues once again and the supervisor was very familiar with my car. He said others have been up there with the same issues and there isn't anything they can do about it until the car either gives a check engine light or something breaks.

So i told him i guess i'm just stuck driving a car that doesn't know how it wants to drive, and he said yes. He said some of our cars have issues but until Toyota does something about it, there's nothing they can do. He did agree that my car has an issue on trying to figure out what gear it want to go in and that's why at times it flutters and shifts hard.

I really think this is awful. I can't believe i paid that much for a car and is very DISSATISFIED!!! I'm about ready to go on another car lot and see what i can do to trade it in. I never had a Toyota before until this car, and this certainly will be my LAST! I hate that car!!! In my opinion this car is a hazard.

Oh and i forgot to mention this, but my car rpm's jumped up as I was driving it about 15mph through my neighborhood and as it did it, the car jerk forward. I notice it did that twice. This is something new and I will have to keep my eye on that. Thought it was kind of strange.
    I don't like certain things about the Camry, like the trans, but, to me, overall, I like the car enough that I can live with them. Like when you have a friend that has some annoying habits. You overlook them, and say, "Well, that's just the way they are", whereas someone you don't like, those same habits drive you nuts. I guess I like the Camry enough that I can live with it the way it is. I actually like it quite a bit. I really do love it. I wish the gas milage could be better, and there are some fit, and finish issues, but, as long as the trans doens't expire early, I'm happy with my purchase. I really like it. I look forward to driving it. I like it a lot.
    @flbntz

You know what, we shouldn't have to live with this. You mention the Camry is like a friend with annoying habits, and that's just the way they are and we should just live with it. Well, if i paid over $30,000 for a friend and was told this friend is suppose to do this and do that, and my payments for his friendship is over $350 a month, that friend better do everything he is suppose to do and NOT ANNOY me.

I understand what you are saying, but the Camry is not suppose to drive that way. We, on this forum, are a few who is having issues with their car. We are the GLITCH. I have spoken to others who have the same car, same year, and it doesn't drive like that. So why does ours do? It's because we are the GLITCH and Toyota need to recognize that and fix their glitches.

So come on now, don't settle for a friend just because it is good in this area or that. We were told our cars are suppose to have this amount of gas mileage, suppose to drive the way it did when we first drove it, etc. That's a promise they told us and they need to stick to that. We should NOT settle for less of a friendship. This is just my opinion because i am a person who haven't bought a car in years and now that i finally did, and put down a lot, and owe a lot, i want my money worth. I don't like to settle for less than what was promised. I wish you all luck on your cars and I hope and pray there is an update in the making for us so we could enjoy our Camry. I agree, it is a nice car, but Toyota need to fest up to this and fix the cars out there with this GLITCH. Good luck everybody and if you hear of anything else, by all means, post it for us.
    "..We, on this forum, are a few who is having issues..."

No, you are just simply the one's speaking out "here".

If you wish to go to the extreme of purchasing a new car in order to avoid this constant shifting, "shiftiness", then you will need to narrow your search to CVTs, Continuously Variable Transmissions, or maybe a 4 speed automatic, if those are still to be found.
    I bought a 2010 Prius new in 12/2009, and although I thought it was cool, it got to be boring to drive, so I traded it for a 2010 Golf, and it was great. I lost $5,000 though, because it was at the height of the recalls, and nobody wanted to touch a Toyota at that point. I paid $24,430 for a Prius III, and got $19,110 for a trade three months later, with 4,000 miles on it, and the brake recall had been done. It was in perfect condition. I just looked yesterday, and that same car, with 30,000 miles on it would be worth $25,000 on trade. Oh, well. I'm not sorry I traded it. Money can rule you, if you let it. To me, it's the day to day experience I have that's imporatant, so, money's just the vehilce to get me there. The VW shifted hard, too, sometimes, and I worried, because, as I said, I had a 2004 Chevy Impala that did that, and the trans went at 100,000 miles, and Chevy would not stand behind it. My friend's, identical car, did exactly the same thing. Cold shoulder from GM. Then, they went bankrupt. Yay! Serves 'em right, I thought. If it's just the driving, I'm fine with this thing the way it is. I have the base Camry with AT, so I only paid $21,000 for it, and I got 0% fininacing for 60 months, so I figured that saved me another $4,400, so, I'm not complaining. But, mainly, it's just that I like the car. There's something peaceful about it for me when I drive it, and I can have fun with it, as well. It's got a huge tank, s I never fill it up, and it's not that bad when I do fill it up. And I just like driving it, there's something about it that just suits me, so I guess I found a good fit for me. Good luck with whatever you decide, but I was glad I traded my Prius, even though there were things I liked about that car, as well. It just wasn't the right car for me.
  • camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    Does the 6 cylinder Camry have the same issue with the automatic transmission?
    not sure but I think all 6 speed trannys are the same
    I will say that once I turned over 5000 miles the situation has improved, not perfect but better. Dont know if they did something to it at the 5K oil change but things hopefully will continue to improve ! Still considering trading in though, looking at the Kia Sportage but not sure, I am now "gun shy" after going thru this with this Camry !
  • camoncamon Member Posts: 98
    Do you have a 6 cylinder or base 4 cylinder?

I was thinking that with 6 cylinders the transmission would not have to hunt quite as much to find the right gear, because of the extra power. Or this may be just wishful thinking on my part.
    mine is a 4 cyl. and I have no idea about 4 cyl vs 6cyl. Only thing I know is I miss my 2005 Camary :cry:
    Wishful thinking...

With a 6 cylinder being in the most optimal gear ratio, lowest possible RPM, for the current overall road conditions is even more important insofar as MPG is concerned.
  • unhappy51unhappy51 Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    I have a 2011 toyota camry LE, and it only has 2,300 miles on it,had it just a month now. I am experiencing a terrible sluggish drive as though i am pulling something behind the car. also it is jumping in and out of the gears with hesitation,As i was at a stop sign yesterday engaging the brakes it jerked forward . when i reached home i put the car in park proceeded to get out and the car moved forward i turned in panic thinking i did not put it in park but i did and it was still in park. i am terrified of this car because my daughter was standing in the area a few minutes before and it could have hit her. this is not in my mind nor the many other consumers who are experiencing this. i took the car to the dealer today and told them what happened and they advised me that they could make me an appointment to take a look but they are all book and it would not be until next week. i told them all i know is i am not taking that car back home with me and they need to keep it and give me a loaner car, and i do not want a camry if i am scared of the new one i purchased why would i feel okay taking one home. I have not purchased a car in years and finally decided to because of my distance of travel to work, and i wanted a dependable car which i thought the camry would be due to having owned a couple of the 90 models with no problems. I have gone from happy to terrified of what might happen what if someone had been in front of the car when it accelerated forward like that . I will go to the media if i have to i do not want that car back at my home. I thought it only happend to me until my sister and i found so many similar stories.