Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Mtngal's Jeep would be already calibrated for 30" tires, if it had the 30" tire package from the factory. Your SE would have been calibrated for 28" or whatever, so the error would have been greater for you, since you went up at least two inches on diameter. Mtngal would be going up only one inch, since she would be starting with 30's and going to 31's.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • blakewdblakewd Member Posts: 10
    Can't you get the jeep adjusted for whatever tires you put on there? I know in a Ford Ex all you have to do is replace the speedo gear. Can the same or similar be done to get the Jeep to read the corredc speed and odo?
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    It all depends on the axle ration too. I have the 3.73, I think, but the 4.0L was offered in 1998 with the 3.07 standard. There is a chart listing the adjustments you need at
    http://www.visi.com/~tam/tjfaq.html#sec4_3

Mtngal, I had the factory Goodyear 225s on there when I bought my 98 Sport and later went to 30" BFG A/Ts, and they worked just fine in the deserts plus no rubbing. I think my speedo is off slightly but I've never cared to check. I don't speed much as it is.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    The reason I want the odo accurate is that I navigate by it and I don't own a GPS yet (one of those toys I'd like to get eventually but nearly died when I checked out prices).

My Sport had the 30 inch wheel group originally, and the odometer seemed to be right on compared with the AAA county maps I was using and mileage markers on the side of the highway (checked both). By the time I switched to the Duellers it had already started developing the dash gauge problem. I haven't done much exploring since I got the gauges fixed, but the one time I did, it seemed like the Duellers weren't accurate (my odo said I hadn't gone far enough and I didn't take the turn-off I should have, and while I didn't get lost, I did take an unexpected trip to an old abandoned mine and found the road beyond still blocked by too much snow). I wasn't using my usual maps, so I don't know if the problem was an inaccurate guide or the differences between the tires.

I'm like goducks - not much concerned with speed. I don't feel comfortable driving the Wrangler at speeds where I'd be liable to get a speeding ticket anyway (steering is too quick for my tastes at high speeds). The overall miles on the odo isn't all that much of a concern for me any more - I don't think it matters if my odo shows 120,000 or 130,000 miles on it, since it is 6 years old and over 100,000.

I'm going to go with the 30 inch BFG's - they are in stock at one of the 2 local Costco's and I really need to do SOMETHING this weekend. I really hate to just put the spare on in place of the bald front tire because the other front tire, while better, and I don't want to off-road with one essentially new and one worn tire on the front.
    Yeah, Blakewd, I have never done it, but speedometers can be corrected when the tire size has been changed. I think it's pretty simple to do, from all that I have heard.

The correction is inversely proportional to the change in tire diameter. If you go up 10% on tire diameter, your odometer will be off by 10%, showing a lower speed than you are really going. If you go down 10% on tire diameter, then the speedometer will be off 10%, showing a faster speed than you are really going.

Tom

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Yes, it's the same for all the Wranglers except the Rubicon. It's just a matter of changing an easily accessible gear in the transfer case.
  • dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    Hi all,

Never had one, but been looking at Jeeps lately. (mmmm, Unlimited...) Anyway, I have a (very silly) question about a tire and can't find the answer. The question is, what does the "T/A" in "All Terrain T/A" stand for anyway? I've heard another use for "T/A", but I don't think it applies to off-road tires. :-) And maybe I didn't Google right, but I couldn't find anything. I figured you guys/gals could help.

mtngal Basic GPS units aren't too expensive anymore. They start around $80 and go from there. What type are you looking for? Check out gps4fun for some prices and such. There are a bunch of GPS retailers out there. I've found gps4fun to have some of the better prices.

--Dan
    How long since you checked prices? A basic handheld, which would be fine for your purposes, goes for under $100.
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    I have plans to replace my 30” tires with 31” tire with a little more aggressive tread then what came stock. So I was looking on ebay to see approximately how much the gear might cost to recalibrate the speedometer. The other day I saw someone selling a gear (on Ebay) to adjust for the tire difference. It was on sale for $1000.00!!! Can some tell me who would spend a grand to adjust a speedometer for tires? I rather guess (estimate) how fast I am driving.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    when I want from the factory 30" (actually about 29" measured) tires to 31" trXus, I found my spedo became dead accurate, where as before the change, the spedo read fast relative to speed on GPS. If you have 3.73 gears and the factory wheel package, you'll have no need to change when going to 31" tires.

-twylie
    Welcome, Dan!

I THINK the "T/A" stand for "Traction Advantage." Someone please correct me, if that is wrong.

Get a Jeep, Dan! You won't be sorry, if FUN is what you are after!!!

Tom

A replacement gear should be between $10 and $25 depending on the number of teeth and the pricing policies of the dealer.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    since we're on the subject of tires, I have a silly question.

I also have 31's. But I still have the factory 30" spare. If I get a flat, am I going to be able to use it? If so, I don't imagine very far.
  • dchristo1dchristo1 Member Posts: 59
    I'm Running 31"Goodyear MTR's on my 99 Sahara that originally had 30" GSA's. I checked my speed on a couple of trips with my GPS and it was right on the money.

Tom,

Got your VM and I really really want to get back to TB but the earliest I could would be in October.(My schedule is nuts!!!)Michael wants to try out the mods that we have done to Sara at TB so that we have a feel for their true effect. He feels that Sit Up and Beg won't be a problem and he also wants me to try BP gulch....if I can get my rocker guards on in time.

I have some pics of the build up but have to figure out how to post them. I also have a video of our TB trip that I keep watching over and over. BIG : )

Well I've gotta run I'm fallin a sleep at the computer again.

Have a good wheelin weekend,

David
    There is a speed check sign with radar on a street I use to take my daughter to school. At around 35 to 36 mph my speedometer matches the sign.

Will the discrepancy show when I am going faster? Could DC have fixed the speedometer to read the proper speed in the 2004-year model?

Glen
    Dan:

If you do not have lockers, it should be ok to run different size tires for a short distance. You DEFINITELY don't want to do that with a locker, though.

Mac, your thoughts, please? What about if a guy has the factory Trac Loc limited slip? Would it be ok to run one inch different diameter tires on that axle?

Tom

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I would not suggest using the off size spare on the rear if you have Trac Loc. The difference in size will make the diff think that one tire is slipping and put additional wear on the clutch pack. Probably fine in an emergency or for short distances but if possible, use the offsize on the front.

-twylie
    As twylie said, emergency use for short distances only.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I had punctured the sidewall of one of my 30" BFGs on a back-axle tire and had it replaced free because I had bought the insurance for it, but I made them swap the never-used identical spare with the other rear wheel. The just the idea of a new tire and one with 30K of tread wear on the same axle made me nervous since I have the limited-slip differential.
    After reading all your comments I thought I should change my mind about the size, but unfortunately, my other half had already gone. He came back with the 30 inch BFGs and suggested that I try them. So I drove to the market and checked my mileage against the road markers. It seemed to be right on compared to them - enough for my purposes.

I must say they are a whole lot better than the Duellers I took off today. Granted, they were quite worn, but I can't believe how much quieter they are, and how much better a ride I have now. So I'm happy - my odo is accurate again and the extra road traction I have now. I'm not so concerned about trying an intermediate trail at Camp Jeep now. Can we just skip the next couple of days so I can go now? Please, please?
    What pressure are you running in those new tires?

It seems like the dummies at the tire stores will automatically fill them to whatever the max pressure for that tire is, as written on the sidewall.

Your tires probably say 50 psi max, so there's a chance they filled them to that.

If I were you I would try 28 psi and see how you like it. That's where I run mine.

The max pressure, 50 psi, should only be used with the max load (2200 lbs for my tires). Remember, that max load is the load for ONE TIRE. So, if our Jeeps weighed 8800 lbs, then maybe we would want 50 psi. :) Our Jeeps weigh about 3400 to 3500 lbs, though, not 8800 lbs!

Tom

• capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Some time back, Goodrich wanted to use "TransAm" without having to pay the Sports Car Club of America a fee for the use of the word(s). So they came up with T/A. I'm sure if you ask them, they'll say it doesn't stand for anything (sort of a politically correct posture!)

BTW, when the Pontiac TransAm was in production, General Motors paid the SCCA $1.00 for every T/A sold.

Hope this helps.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    A word of caution:

The max load printed in the sidewall shouldn't be taken as an absolute, as there are many factors that affect tire durability.

For example, the durability of a tire is better on smooth roads than on rough terrain. The net effect is that the load rating of a tire as printed on the sidewall is the maximum under ideal conditions. If you don't use the tire under those conditions, then you have to compensate.

However, the point about not blindly using the inflation pressure listed on the sidewall is well taken.

Hope this helps.
    I don't know why anyone would want to run max pressure anyway, unless it was because their vehicle was heavy enough to require max pressure, which is almost never the case.

Too much tire pressure for the weight of the vehicle will give a rough ride, poor handling, and will wear out the center portion of the tread. This will mean the tire will have to be replaced MUCH sooner than it would if properly inflated.

I can tell the difference in the ride and handling of Thelma Jane between the 28 psi that I normally run and 31 psi or higher. I experimented and found that the "sweet spot" seems to be about 28 psi. That is for MY type of tire, and MY vehicle. The ideal pressure will vary from one type of vehicle and/or one type of tire to the next.

Tom

And as I expect everyone knows, a chalk line across the tread will get you in the ballpark.

Just drive a few yards and inspect the line. If the center is gone the pressure is too high, if the sides are gone it's too low, and if it wears off evenly across the whole tread it's just about right.

BTW for mtngal, 29psi is the factory recommendation for 30" tires.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Thanks for the advice on the spare. I may try to find a used 31 to use as a spare.

Great advice about the chalk, Mac. I'll have to give that a try.
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Howdy folks!

Well, I am back from my first Jeep Jamboree and what a blast was had (in the words of Tom, a big YEEEHAW)! Got stuck once, and then sort of again while helping recover another vehicle. Switchbacks, ruts, mud, shale, steep inclines and off-camber situations were experienced. My Buffy performed admirably, and my skids earned their keep.

Cleaning up was quite messy, tons of mud out there. I ended up spending about $50 to power spray all the gunk off the undercarriage (and got mighty filthy in the process) - I probably don't want to know how many pounds of dirt I was carrying under there! Still need to clean the top, interior (didn't roll the windows up in time), engine bay, and remove the tires to clean the brakes/rotors. Not too worried about contamination as I am planning on replacing the fluids in my diffs & t-case within a month's time (or less) with synthetics and don't see any big drives before then...

Keep on Jeepin'
    Andrew
    Thanks for all the info about tires. I'm going to try the chalk - a neat idea and certainly better than waiting until the tires show signs of uneven wear in the middle or sides.

Andrew - sounds like major fun! I'd love to try something like that one of these days, but not just yet. Camp Jeep is more my speed at the moment. Though now that I no longer have side steps on and have new tires, I might think about getting more adventurous.

A question about the BFGs - is it just an optical illusion or are their 30 inch tires a bit smaller than the Dueller 30 inch tires? They look a bit smaller. Also, now that I've got the side steps off, I'm beginning to wonder if the dealer I bought it from (new) had put a small lift on it. Right after I first got it, the gas filler pipe cracked. When I took it to a different dealer, they said it was not covered because I had lifted it (which I hadn't). Since this service writer also had never heard of the extreme use service intervals, and only had 2 Wranglers on their lot, I just figured the guy wasn't very clued in and not used to seeing a Wrangler with the 30 inch wheel group. Now I'm starting to wonder - he sure looks different (could be because he's also clean and shiny, for a change).
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    mtngal,

WHen I put the 30's on my SE, it felt the same way and it seemed even higher up once I pulled the side steps. Those steps are 6" or so lower than the door sill, so it feels like a lift and kinda looks like it once you remove em because you have gained a lot of clearance by pulling them off. :)

-Paul
    Hmm, I wonder if Camp Jeep is the US equivalent of the Jamboree... if it is, you should definitely go there. Over here they were offering "Jeep 101", a good introduction to what your Jeep is capable of. Really worth the time if you've never done anything like it before.
    Andrew - From what I've read, Camp Jeep is more of a celebration of all things Jeep rather than a couple of days just off-roading and camping. They have had Jeep Jamborees here also (including one trip that does the Rubicon Trail). Camp Jeep seems to offer more diverse activities. I don't really know at the moment, since I've never been to either one before and I still have to wait another day before I can go! Can't you tell that I'm counting down the hours? I keep trying to tell myself that I'm all excited just because I'm taking a couple of days off from work, but some how no one around work believes that...
    From the promo DVD I got with my Camp Jeep package, they call it more of a "Son of Jeep Jamboree". The focus here I think is more general and tries to appeal to a wide audience/public at large.

I don't think things here are generally very difficult to drive, aiming to the newer Jeep owners and new offroaders. There are advanced trails available though.

I plan on taking my Nikon 5700 with me and getting lots of shots! Maybe I'll see mtngal there! I'll post some pics when I get back, but they'll have to be on the other site.

-Paul
    Well, I finally got my Cobra 75WXST installed. I got the CB install kit from Jeepers and Creepers and the unit itself from Amazon. I located the remote unit under my Tuffy Security console and the hand unit hangs on the dash in front. The quick disconnect for the unit sticks out enough from the Tuffy that I can unhook the handset easily. Jeepers' install kit comes with a quick disconnect, and even with only a 4' antenna, it sticks up over 14" above my roofline. Nice!

I'm all wired with my GPS, CB, portable DVD player (for my son) and stereo for Camp Jeep! I pack the TJ up tonight and we head out tomorrow. I'll post a summary of it if anybody is interested. My agenda is:

1 basic ride (harder of the two)
    1 intermediate ride (easier of the two)
    ocean kayaking
    Jeep GC engineering roundtable
    Jeep TJ engineering roundtable
    and probably lots of other questions and things to do!

-Paul
    I am sure you will all have fun there. If they are offering trails, I'd suspect they'll have something like the Jeep 101 "class" as that one is aimed at newer owners. The terrain will likely differ as we have tons of mud over here, which (I'd suspect) isn't quite as prevalent down there.

Let us know how it goes!
    Andrew
    Nope, not lotsa mud here... mainly hard packed dirt, mountains, and rock. Nothing tough! :) hehe

There is a Jeep 101 class and the trails. There will be a chance to drive the new GC and the unlimited. So if I get a chance to do the J101 classes with an unlimited, I'll try to post my impressions of its offroad handling. Maybe they'll have an Unlimited Rubi to drive! If so, I'll get lotsa pics!

-Paul
    Paul sounds much better prepared than I am. I didn't do anything about a CB so I'm going without one entirely. The mount that came with my Roady is installed in the Taco so I guess I'll just stick it in the glove box - we tend to not change channels all that much anyway. No GPS, but I will take my Sony F717 camera.

We're going to be doing an intermediate ride (the harder of the 2) first thing. The idea of going into it cold scared me but then I watched the DVD from last year's Camp Jeep in Virginia. So many people said their great aim for the 2 days was to get stuck! And they showed how they recover people who get stuck and it all looks like great fun. I'll still let my other half drive this trail, though, while I'll drive the easy one the next day. Sure wish we could have done it the other way around, but I was too late booking it.

They will have the 101 class, and I'm hoping to drive the Unlimited on it. The DVD said that they had a separate course for the Rubicon last year. If they do that this week, I'll definitely want to try it also. I've always wanted to actually see what kind of a difference lockers make and have never been somewhere with anyone who has had them and could show me.

It will be fun to see the new, redesigned 2005 Grand Cherokee in action - much better than seeing a static display at the LA Auto Show. And hopefully I'll meet up with Paul at some point. Can't wait! It's just too bad that all of you folks back east couldn't make it out here for the fun!

This is truly a unique Jeep thing.
    Remember, the East coast has had camp jeep for 10 years. :)

Ready to go...

-Paul
    The Wrangler's all packed up and in less than an hour we'll be heading out to Camp Jeep. I can't wait! Hope everyone not going stays safe and I'll check back in on Sunday. Keep the shiny side up.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Have fun; I'm envious...;)
    man, she's gonna beat me there by a few hours! :(

heheh

-Paul
    Here's a couple of pics I came across showing the new gray colored flares and hardtop. Personally, I don't like the color at all, nor the new shape of the side window in the hardtop.

I agree...But maybe it will grow on me?
    Gag a maggot! Bring back black flares and black hardtops!

So what if they fade? They would look good for a while, anyway. And they can be restored to "blackness," when they fade.

It's really gonna make a difference which body color a guy gets now with those gray flares. Red looks SO GOOD with black flares and top, but NOT with that gray stuff. I'll bet black won't look to good either, or ANY OTHER dark color for that matter.

YUCK!

Tom

Let's see what the khaki looks like. Should be ok for a top, but I can't imagine liking flares in that color. I think I'd just paint them black or body color.
    in the picture of the white Jeep, then it doesn't look TOO bad. Still think black would be better.

Tom
    No, it's still gray, just different lighting conditions.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I'm thinking of getting some new tires for my stock 2000 TJ. I don't really need them, just thought I might get some that look a little better.

I have Goodyear RT's now. Looking at 30" Goodyear AT's. I don't offroad. It is my daily driver. I do live in Chicago area with moderate winter weather.

Comments?
    Good choice for your criteria, and as a bonus they work well in most off road conditions except deep mud.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Thanks mac. They also might get my speedometer a little better in line. As best as I can tell, it is off about 2.5 mph at 35 mph (fast). It will also make my already poor gas mileage worse if the odometer is off as much as the speedo.

Who knows, I've only had it 4 1/2 years. Might just try a little off road action someday. Tom may just keep talking about it enough.

Terry
    BRING IT ON! Now you're talkin'!

What about BFG All Terrain T/A's in 31 x 10.50 size?? You talk about looking good, they DO! And, they are a great tire.

I traded mine in, because I wanted Muds for all the wheelin' I do, but those All Terrains were an awesome tire. I only put about 6K miles on them, but they showed virtually no tread wear in that time, they rode well, and they gave Thelma Jane great handling.

Whatever you get, go to the 31 x 10.50 size. That's the biggest size a stock TJ will handle, and they sure look better than the 30's.

Tom

Oh yeah, Terry...

I have been quit for 7 Months, 2 Weeks, 6 Days and 19 hours (233 days). I have saved $876.71 by not smoking 7,013 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Weeks, 3 Days, 8 hours and 25 minutes of my life.