Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Camry 2011 transmission problem

12346»

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Your welcome. I know I could get the EPA rating of 33 mpg on the highway IF I went slower on the highway, but to me, it is not worth it.

Yes, an automatic is way more $ to repair! And I have always been able to sell my old manuals myself - may have taken a week or two longer due to fewer people wanting one, but they always sold.

It will be very difficult to find a manual Camry, unless you are in certain parts of the country where they actually sold manuals, or if you are willing to travel a ways to get one. They did not sell manuals in my region, so I had to travel a bit to buy one.

All I can say is it makes a typical, mid-size boring car fun to drive, even if it is a mid-size Camry sedan. I really wish most other people (and especially my better half) would agree with me!

Good luck, let me know how it turns out or if you have any other questions.
  • sjbentreesjbentree Member Posts: 5
    Followed up with Toyota Corp and got no where. They will forward my complaint to Quality Control, but there is nothing more I can do. Told person that if he would google "2011 Camry ABS noise" he would see other complaints. He said that he was not "allowed" to do that, to look at non Toyota info on his computer. Bottom line is that Toyota has really slipped. Only if government threathens them, will anything get their attention. They try to tell you that the Camry is really quiet, then say that the clunking noise from the ABS pump is "normal." And no one is able to say whether or not the same condition applies to the 2012 models. Looks like my next sedan will NOT be a Camry, the only model sedan I have owned since 1984.
  • flbntzflbntz Member Posts: 43
    Yeah, I heard that if you drive at 60, or 65mph you get the best gas milage, but I feel the same, I'd rather have more fun, and give a little on the gas milage.

Yeah, I think I may have to stay with my AT, but it's still ok. I basically like the car. As long as the thing lasts, I'm ok with it. I'd like to drive it 200,000 without any major difficulties.

Is it a good manual trans? Nice shifting, how's the clutch? I had a 1996 Honda Civic DX coupe with manual, and it was nice except the clutch was ambiguous, I'd stall it after five years driving it, and reverse was hard to get sometimes. But it was a nice head on the shifter, and slipped right into the other gears. $12,080 new. Still had the original clutch when I traded it at 273,000 miles.

Do you share the Camry with your wife, or does she have something else?

Thanks! All the best.
    The sound is only once after you start it and get to around 10 mph or so, then not again until after you start it again, right? That is what mine does, and it does not bother me one bit, because that is what it is supposed to do, and it only does it ONE time. Mine is a 2010.
    Mine does the same thing. Now that I know what it is, I'm ok with it.
  • 4lisak44lisak4 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my 11 Camry just about 11 months ago. I have not been happy with it since the day I drove off the lot. I agree - they've completely gone downhill. The dealership - KERRY TOYOTA in Florence, KY is horrible, and their "customer service manager" needs a lot of human interaction training. I want to get rid of this crappy car, but I'm not sure how I can do it with all the problems it has. Has anyone else gotten rid of their car? Does anyone else have a 2012 camry?
    Interesting comment about a "customer service manager." After getting a case number from the corporate Toyota toll free number, I was told that the "customer service manager" from Cherokee County Toyota in Georgia would call me. I waited for over a week and never received a call from this person. So, I called "Al" back at Toyota Corp. This time I was "invited" to make a test drive with the Service Manager. This individual is the one who said the noisy CLUNKS I hear after start up at 10 MPH come from the ABS pump, and are ENTIRELY NORMAL. I will NOT trade for a 2012 Camry until someone from Toyota Corp or the local dealer tells me that this problem has been eliminated. So far, they are not willing to say one way or the other. I have purchased Camrays since 1984, but that string is about to end!
    I'm confused. You only hear a clunk the first time (ONE time) you get to 10mph after you start the engine, right? If so, your car is FINE. It is the ABS pump doing its test, and it does not cause any problem, nor is it a problem. Test drive another 2010, 2011. You will hear it if you listen closely, only one time after you start the engine and reach about 10 mph. I'm not seeing a problem here, unless you really can't stand that half- second small noise one time after each time you start the engine? That would be 2 or 3 times per day for most people, or less than 2 seconds per day. Just curious. My 2010 does it (if I concentrate on hearing it), but it is no problem, car is 20k + miles, zero problems. I recall wondering what it was when I first got the car, but a quick search told me it was normal - never thought about it again.
    Agree that it is not a safety problem, but you have obviously been lulled by Toyota into accepting front of the car repetitive noises from an automobile that is advertised as being quiet in it's operation.
    But it only happens once, after you turn the key and start the engine and get up to 10 mpg. And it only lasts for not even a half-second, right? So that makes it not quiet? No, Toyota did not lull me into anything, I found out what it was and that was the end of it. My concern at the time was more of "what is that?" Once I found out, I was fine with it, since it is the ABS check. For 99.9999% of each of my trips to somewhere, it is quiet.

I wish you the best.
  • aaa76aaa76 Member Posts: 2
    Same here and it is not normal. I have taken mine for the same problems three times to the dealership and they always tell me that it is "normal" and that "they could not reproduce the problems". I don't think they are honest with us. I think they are trying to cover the problem to see if we will just give up, cave in, and stop our complaints.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    So, I take it that you would much rather learn that your ABS, VSC, or Trac is non-functional after the fact. But you should be aware that maybe only your survivors will learn that fact.

Just think of it as a part of the "pre-flight checklist".
    Check Toyotanation.com. Owners there will also tell you it IS normal, and checks the ABS system. One time, less than 1/2 second, after you start the engine and get to 10 mph. Some have even verified this a number of ways. Your car is fine, enjoy the silence 99.99% of the time.
    Agree.
    Found answer about possible ABS pump noise in 2012 Camrys. They will probably have the same noise since 2012 owner's manual reads as follows:

Sounds and vibrations caused by the ABS, brake assist, VSC and
    TRAC
    œA sound may be heard from the engine compartment when the engine is
    started or just after the vehicle begins to move. This sound does not indicate
    that a malfunction has occurred in any of these systems.

So it's not a "malfunction," but it sure is irritating. Telephone customer care people don't have a clue!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Every recent-model vehicle I've owned has the same noise, regardless of make/model. It was particularly loud in my Infiniti G35, but it's just something you have to put up with if you buy a vehicle with ABS.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

About the 60 mph, yes, that's why people complain (among other reasons) that there car is not working correctly. They drive 70+ mph and think they should get the EPA rated mpg on the highway. I'd wager to say that 99.5% of the time that people complain about mpg, that it is their fault/their driving conditions, and not a problem with the car.

To answer your questions: It is a typical Toyota manual transmission, meaning it shifts very nicely, but throws are long. Clutch is great, no complaints. The only complaint is the drive by wire, which just about all manual transmissions have now, no mater who makes the car. It requires you to drive a little different than older manual tranny cars, because the computer keeps the revs up between shifts, even though you take your foot off the accelerator. I've driven other makes' manual trannys, same problem. "Rev Hang" is for keeping emissions lower.

Wife is not a manual transmission fan, so no, I do not share it with her.
    Yes, agree. I rode in a Mazda 6 this weekend, and heard one clunk after starting and going slow.

Good to have someone put an end to to the worry about this "issue". And the noise is even described in the owner's manual!!
    "..computer keeps the revs up..."

In the olden days it was the carburetor dashpot that kept the revs up with a rapid release of the gas pedal.
  • dwight11dwight11 Member Posts: 1
    Dealerships in Texas are very friendly and willing to help you though anything. They will sell whatever it is that you need, no matter what it is. The Toyota Camry is a very dependable vehicle. It is used by a ton of people. There are no concerns that it will break down. I was able to get every little thing I wanted from the Camry with Texas dealerships. Dealerships near you can be located by going to: http://cardealexpert.com/model/21326/2012-Toyota-Camry
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    edited December 2011
    Dealerships in Texas are very friendly and willing to help you though anything.

I disagree. I helped my sister to purchase a Sienna in 2006 and a Camry in 2010 and I think dealers in Dallas area are the worst compare to the NE dealers.

The price is usually higher plus they have too many nonsense add on like Lusterizing Sealant, Sealant Cleaner, Fabric Guard...
  • artiyomartiyom Member Posts: 4
    Few months ago I bought a used Toyota Camry LE 2.5, 2011. It already had about 33 000 miles. Sometimes, when change from P to R or D, it goes hard and sometimes makes noise like loud click or something. Doesn't matter where I parked it, it happens even on flat surface. This happens very randomly: sometimes it goes very easy, even when transmission is cold, but sometimes goes hard even if just put it on P after driving. I'm a new driver so it is little difficult for me to understand if this is a real problem or it's normal behavior for automatic transmission. I went to some Toyota dealerships (I live in LA), some of them told me that it's a normal situation with AT, and they told me that if want to get my car checked, I will have to pay about $90 for their work in case if they don't find a problem, but if they do, they will give my money back. Is this normal? I thought if my car is under 60 000 miles, they have to check it for free!
    So what do you think, shall I go and check my transmission or I don't have problem?
  • pct108pct108 Member Posts: 4
    Just got my 2011 Camry XLE 6 speed auto with the 2AR-FE 4 cylinder back from a different Dealer than I usually use. My complaints where poor gas mileage and the notorious transmission complaint as seen right here on this site. I got the standard Toyota answer for both, No Defect Found. This is the second Dealer on the tranny gripe. They did tell me that TSB 0287-10 is out for the transmission but didn't elaborate more on it. I think it's a re flash.

Anyone have this TSB done on their Camry? If so did it fix anything or just make things worse.
    Bill
  • delbardelbar Member Posts: 32
    thanks for the TSB # I will call Toyota today and see if it applies to my VIN
    my Camry is now at 8700 miles and runs a little better than it did but there are times when the "sluggish" transmission is still very prominent
    thanks again
    hope we all find a solution to this issue one day !
    These days the only mechanical connection between the shifter and the transmission is the one used to engage/release the parking pawl when you shift into/out of "P". All other functions are implemented via electrical switches. Allong with the "park" mechanization is the shift lock, complements of Audi.

When you wish to shift out of park there is an electromechanical interlock that prevents you from doing so absent having the brakes firmly applied. That interlock system may be what you are feeling when shift out of or into "P".

Look in the owners manual for teh method that can be used to manually over-ride, bypass, the electric solenoid that locks the shifter into "P" and try over riding it manually a few times and see if that doesn't alleviate the movement restriction.
    Google for:

downshift hesitation wwest

Sluggish or a noticeable delay in downshifting for re-acceleration?
  • guptronguptron Member Posts: 2
    For those wondering, I had TSB 0287-10 applied to my 2010 Camry LE 4 cylinder a couple of days ago. The dealer I went to continued to tell me "this is how it will always be" and insisted nothing was wrong, but after I told him the specific TSB number they did apply it for free (I'm at 22k miles).

It seems to help a little. Acceleration is smoother during city driving. However, the downshift "almost stalling" sensation is still there. Overall, glad I got it but the fundamental problem is still there and is still bothersome. Hope this helps!
  • delbardelbar Member Posts: 32
    thanks for the input let us know how it continues to run
    my problem is the downshifting so seems it would not help this situation at all
    wish they would just "come clean" and admit they have a design issue
    and fix it
    I dont like the fact that we cannot check our transmission fluid (no dipstick)
    anyway good luck
  • bean91bean91 Member Posts: 1
    I'm about 80% satisfied with this car, 20% nervous about it. Me and my husband bought a 2011 Toyota Camry LE a few months ago. I've noticed the rollback on the hill issue. Was trying to get out into traffic and I let off my break and my back-end almost smacked into the Jeep behind me. The frightening part was that I actually had to floor it to keep that from happening; the roll was pretty quick and VERY unexpected. Never had an automatic do that to me before in my life.
    Also noticed the lurch in traffic. Occasionally the car will jump out from under me. It's almost caused me to rear-end a few people because it happens so quickly. I mean, seeing as we've all either driven or own one, I have the 4cyl and the thing drives like an effing v6 for crying out loud. Tap the gas even a little and you're flying. I love it, but when the lurch happens, I don't love it quite as much. I've also noticed that periodically (not all the time, but at least 6 times in a day of driving) it will hesitate when I brake. I'll have my foot slowly but steadily easing down on the brake to stop at a light or a sign, and it lurches forward when I'm NOT touching my gas pedal. That's the part that makes me the most paranoid considering Toyota has had past issues with the accelerator sticking, so I'm careful with it. I might make some people behind me angry, but I brake WAY ahead of time just to be cautious. Otherwise this has been a wonderful car. Nice features, sleek, comfortable, loud @$$ speakers lol.. Great car, just makes me nervous sometimes...
    I have read that all of this is normal with the new automatics by many (all) car makers. Just do a little more searching here. The "lurch" forward while braking is not an acceleration problem, but it is the tranny downshifting.

Rollback on a hill? Again, most (all?) new automatics do this. Have you ever driven a manual? Same procedure applies. Get off the brake and on the gas quick, or set parking brake. Or like I do with my manual transmission, use your foot on both brake & gas at the same time, so there is no lag between getting off the brake and on the gas. But since you have automatic, you could just use your left foot on brake when on a steep hill.

I don't think you have any problems. However, I will say I am glad I have my 2010 Camry with a stick shift!
    The "sling-shot effect", or the feeling of being bumped lightly from behind, is the result of the transaxle UPSHIFTING once roadspeed declines to the level that the full fuel cut costdown technique must be terminated.

As you coast down in speed with the gas pedal fully released this technique inproves FE. The engine is fully STARVED of fuel but kept turning above stall speed via sequentual downshifting of the transaxle as roadspeed declines. Once roadspeed is too low to sustain the engine RPM fuel flow is restored and the transaxle is upshifted to alleviate/reduce the engine load.

It's that final upshift that gives you the feeling of slight acceleration or "unbraking".

Look at your owners manual for a description of the ESes "hill-hold" technique.

With the advent of so much use of the torque converter lockup clutch it has been possible to make the TC much less robust, not as much drive, torque, to the driven wheels with the engine simply idling.

The hill-hold technique has now been widely adopted to combat the resulting "roll-backwards" (or forward) issue. On some models hill-hold will only be engaged with a little extra push on the brake pedal after coming to a full stop. Hill-hold uses automatic TC, Traction Control, braking to hold the car in place.

As a result, once hill-hold is engaged, you will often experience a slight delay in gas pedal engine response to give the brake system time to release.

Then there is the 1-2 second "re-acceleration" downshift delay/hesitation.

Remember that final coastdown full fuel cut final upshift...?? If you happen to try to accelerate just as the transaxle begins that upshift sequence then DBW will be used to delay rising engine RPM until both the upshift completes and then the required downshift can be completed.

There are quite a few instances wherein this "re-acceleration" issues raises its ugly head, delayed engine response to gas pedal depression.

Most because the transaxle has for some reason selected the wrong gear, or is in the process thereof, and now some driver action, "re-acceleration, say, requires the use of DBW to delay the application of engine torque until the proper, "newly" proper, gear ratio is estabished.
  • sunshine2237sunshine2237 Member Posts: 1
    1. From Park Gear slams into drive with force when foot is on brake

2. When taking off faster, shifting up seems smooth, but not always

3. When slowing down with foot off gas, gear downshifts with hard jerk into lower gear about 25 miles per hour.

4. When taking off easy, gear slams in hard into second gear shift sometimes.

5. Shifting up and down is not always smooth whether vehicle is cold or warmed up.
    My car is one year old with less than 10,000 miles and is currently at the dealer. I'm told there is an internal transmission problem and the transmission needs to be dropped and checked out.
    has anyone else have this problem?
    This is a Toyota forum, not Ford /!?!?!?!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Yes, you're in a Camry Transmission Problems discussion. You can find Fusion discussions here:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0a301f/

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I drove a 2012 Camry L, and the rough shifting a lot of us have complained about on our 2010, and 2011 Camry's is not there. I still like my 2011, though. 16,xxx miles, and no problems. Very comfortable. Maybe get a job 38 minutes away, not worried about the commute at all.
    Got the job, 30.12 mpg, back, and forth! Think part of the problem I was getting with my last job, and mpg was that the speed limit was 65 up and down the 15 miles of highway I was traveling everyday, back, and forth to work, and now it's 55. Also, a longer commute, and longer days mean less city driving. Whatever is doing it, I'm liking it. Plus, this car should hold up to high miles. Figure I'll be doing about 20,000 per year, unless I move closer. I like my Camry.
  • ppodppod Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 camry . My complaint is the hard shifting in between gears.Hot or cold the tranny shifts hard as it drops in. The dealer said its normal/ a natural computer problem. Unless alot of peole complain they will not address it. He agreed when we drove it but said the computer giving the signals to shift, down shift etc.. is not as fluid as it could be....I would not buy this car. I have 4 toyotas.
  • 3patch93patch9 Member Posts: 1
    Well my 2011 with the "normal hard shifting problem" left me stranded on the interstate last night. This past week I noticed the engine almost dying and then revving back up. I thought maybe bad gas? no other problems till last night. Everything fine on drive to restuarant. When we got in the car check engine light on, ABS light on and the transmission would not shift out of 2nd gear. Read book and it says make sure gas tank is full??? Not sure what that has to do with it but filled the tank. ABS light went off but car would still not shift out of 2nd gear. Called Triple A and had it towed 75 miles to the nearest toyoto dealership. Should have kept my Honda with 170,000 miles and no problems!!! Seems like this is a consistent problem with Toyota and wonder what kind of run around I will get on Monday about how normal this is???
  • kbetts1kbetts1 Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2012
    I modified my intake (removed the carbon filter). The problem with shifting went away and I had significant more power (no downshifting on hills) and 2mpg increase. It didn't happen right away because the computer had to learn the new air flow. After 2000 mi I'm convinced.

I think the Canadians and other none 50 state cars don't have the carbon filter and I was wondering if they had the same problems we've experienced
  • sirdaavsirdaav Member Posts: 1
    In Canada Toyota has a tech bulletin can-tsb3526.

It largely adresses the knotty shifting, coast deacceleration and general smoothness.

Not sure of original date but it is a software update.

Dealer had tried many things, but this seems to be it.
  • plv2777plv2777 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 toyota camary that the shifts sticks when trying to go from P to R or D. The other night got out at a store (the parkin lot was no more than 10 to 15°) killed the car and didnt relize it was still in drive. The keys came out( remember still in drive) and as i was walking in the store looked back and relized thee car was rolling into the middle of the parking lot. So i ran to it and saw it was Still in drive. I run to it pull it back to the spot and put in P . when i got back in it i put it in Drive and tried to start it and guess what .................... U GUESSED IT, the car started and moved forward like i was driving. Then i put it in park and started it and I didnt need my foot on the break to put it into gear. I mean wtf? I always thought toyota was "THE BEST" . someone please tell me this is a recall.
  • mcm2199mcm2199 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having similar problems with my 2011 Camry ..
  • 03_heritage03_heritage Member Posts: 1
    Took the car in, the servie rep said that's how they drive. Second time we took it in, one of the local techs said they should not drive that way. They reset the computer, same issue, we took it back they replaced transmission, same issue, Toyota Rep came and drove the car. He said that's how they drive. My wife (her car) wants to file claim with Toyota, but I have heard they won't do anything. Has anyone one filed a claim and get resolution?
  • camry2011ownercamry2011owner Member Posts: 2
    I have reported transmission problems every time I have have had the car serviced. It is now at 23k. I got the same feedback about the braking, The Toyota Area tech had them erase and reprogram the transmission software to "re learn my driving habits". No change. I had my second occurance of a specific issue that I want to know if anyone else has experienced. Coming off a ramp to merge into high speed traffic, when it was right I stepped on the gas to get to speed to merge into the traffic. At the time I assume I was going about 35 mph. When I applied the gas it felt like to me the transmission went to neutral. The engine roared and I went no where forward. I had to swerve back into the merge lane and onto the shoulder. I thought the transmission had broke. My wife screamed at me. Then when I tried the gas again it drove like normal. I have merged many times and this is only the 2nd time it has happened. This one almost cause a major accident. I told the Dealer yesterday to fix it, or I was going to put it into their dumpster. No car/transmission is worth my family's safety. This happen to me once before but fortunately there was no traffic around me that time. The Dealer that time said no problem was detected. No code was found in the computer. Maybe they should define a new code for the computer to use. I had 170k miles on my 1999 Avalon, I want it back. We have 3 other toyota cars in the family, so this is not a hate Toyota message.
  • twixcattwixcat Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2011 Rav 4 that did this and it was because for some reason the brake pedal sensor was not installed correctly go back to dealership and talk to them ask them to inspect the brake pedal sensor if the computer sensor says it is baking and accelerating at same time it cuts power to engin we found out our problem because brake light started staying on all the time hubby was following me and noticed it one day
  • camry2011ownercamry2011owner Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. I have emailed your info to my Toyota Tech and Service manager for thier response.
  • bot2013_2014bot2013_2014 Member Posts: 1
    Did your service tech ever explain what happened when the transmission felt like it went to neutral while driving. I have a 2011 Camry LE and the same thing happened this past weekend. The techs can't find a problem. Unfortunately, the car doesn't engage. Thanks,
  • bhusek1bhusek1 Member Posts: 1

I have an '11 with the harsh downshifting problem. Dealer would not apply the TSB because they said it did not apply and said it was a bad deceleration sensor and it would be $1150! No check engine light is on.

• bobbybebbobbybeb Member Posts: 1

I have a 2011 Camry Le I purchased used in December with 24,000 miles. I drive about 500 miles a week and the only issue i have noticed is the transmission shifting up and down hard at times. While braking I noticed it because I had to adjust how I was braking to accommodate for the awkward downshift. I took it to the dealership because it has a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty. They test drove it and then performed a transmission fluid flush and fill to check for metallic pieces. The results were they detected no problems. I had a dashcam in the car for the entire service and the car did not actually act up while they test drove it. Since then I have further diagnosed the car myself and I think I located the issue. Around 1,000 to 1,200 rpm, if the car does not detect your foot on the pedal it will disengage what I think is the connection from the engine/transmission with the differential? Ive noticed when this happens the car freely drifts as if it was in neutral so it saves on gas during driving. How ever when it reconnects by accelerating (such as city traffic when I notice it the most) it will connect hard and accelerate hard causing the computer to seem confused and shift the gears hard or fumble the gears. I will be taking it to the dealer again next week for an oil change and tell them what ive noticed and maybe this could be a problem that could fix many camrys nationwide with the same issue.