Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Camry 2011 transmission problem

knguyen00knguyen00 Member Posts: 1
2011 Camry 3 weeks of usage with approximately 600 mileage. When the car is parked and when I start to drive it again, once the first gear disengages there's a slight clicking noise to it. Also, when I change the gear from park to reverse or drive, it's really rough and really noisy. The gear change is not smooth at all. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Just take it back to the dealership, let them worry about what the problem is. That's the advantage of a warranty on a new vehicle.
    Just take it back to the dealership, let them worry about what the problem is. That's the advantage of a warranty on a new vehicle.
  • honeysucklehoneysuckle Member Posts: 7
    I noticed that when I was testing out the Camry at the dealership this weekend. Very stiff and noisy. Weird.
  • mfjmfj Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    Yes, I have had very similar issues with my 2011 Camry (less than 900 miles). In addition, the transmission sounds very "tinny" and high pitched at ~ 3,000rpm and at 30 mph - especially accelerating from a stop and going up inclines. Also, the brake pedal seems to "bind" slightly at the beginning of the braking stroke at low speeds. I did not notice this when I test drove the Camry and the findings seem to be getting more pronounced during the last few weeks. I am bringing it to the dealership this week.
  • sunshine43sunshine43 Member Posts: 4
    My car has the same problem too. When I took it to the Dealer, the car was already warm up, they tested drive with me, didn't hear anything. It usually happens after your car parked for couple hours, it cools down, and then it starts making noise after reverse and accelerate it.

mfi, I wonder what the dealer tell you when you bring your car to them.
  • galinagalina Member Posts: 3
    I have 2 weeks old Toyota Camry LE 2011 with automatic trasmission. When in drive on the incline it rolls back the way a manual trasmission car would, but there is no hand brake to stop it. It rolled back 10+ yeard (while in drive) on a low incline, as well on a steap one. It does not do it every time. It rolls back 50% of time.
    I left it at a Dealership Service for a day and they told me that there was nothing they could have done about it. They gave me another LE 2011 for the day as rental and it behaved the same way. I wonder if anybody else noticed the problem? I do not want an automatic trasmission car with the added roll back feature.
    edited July 2010
    The Camry behaves on a hill as every other automatic transmission vehicle I've driven before and own.....so not sure what you are comparing it against.

Did you try putting your left foot on the brake, and then slowly release it as you begin to accelerate with your right foot?

If you let the vehicle roll back 30 feet before stopping it, you need to enroll in remedial drivers ed.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..no hand brake..."

???

Foot operated parking or e-brake...??
    I've been driving for 20+ years, many cars: automatic and manual, but I've never had a automatic transmission car "in drive", that rolls back as fast and as far (does not stop till it gets to a flat surface). Manual transmission cars that I'd driven had a hand brake where a stick was, easy to operate.
    My previous Toyota Camry 2006 rolled back a little and then stopped, but the 2011 model seems to be unpredictable on the hill. I was looking for a boring predictable car with no thrills of driving a manual transmission car.
    Due to the fact that modern automatics spend a lot of travel time in "lock-up" mode the torque converter has less need to provide a hard/solid coupling as in yesteryear. Lower weight, less complexity, lower heat loss, improved FE.

A lot like dis-engaging a clutch these days.

Which is also why many modern cars now also come equipped with "hill-assist", automatically hold the brakes "on" after they're used to stop until the gas pedal is again depressed.
    Then there should be some predictability: it does not roll back, it rolls back a little, or it rolls back all the way to the bottom of the hill. This one is unpredictable on the same hills: it does all three depending on I have no idea what. So, when I think about driving in the traffic on the highway uphill in a snowstorm... Should I press and release the other brake below the wheel in order not to roll back? I am afraid it is too much thrill for me. So, the loud noise when the gear shifts does not look like a problem at the moment, even if my car has it.
    edited July 2010
    Which is also why many modern cars now also come equipped with "hill-assist", automatically hold the brakes "on" after they're used to stop until the gas pedal is again depressed.

Other than some 4 wheel drive off road vehicles, what are some of the new cars that have this feature? Haven't been broad range competitive new car shopping in a year or two. With all of the sensors and brake control already in place, shouldn't take a whole lot more than some software program the computer for this functionality. Didn't realize that it may be broadly deployed and available.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Use your left foot on the MAIN Brake Pedal. When stopped on a hill press the main brake pedal with your left foot to keep the car from rolling back. Very simple procedure. Use this method until Toyota comes up with a fix. I always left foot brake on hills in heavy traffic--stop and go-- with an automatic transmission,
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,i just returned from my local toyota dealership after haveing test driven a 2011 toyota camry base model with auto trans.i wanted to see for myself if all of the tranny issues were correct before i purchased this car.sure enough,the car i test drove also did the same things.the tranny lurches,very annoying harsh shifting in city traffic and very often as well.i couldn't believe that this was the mighty camry that i was test driveing.salesmen sitting beside me during the test drive said that all camry's are like this and that there isn't a fault.needless to say,i found the transmission very annoying and my test drive was over in a matter of 5 minutes before i went back to the dealership..toyota's are just not the same when they were built in japan like the camry's of the 1980's or early ninety's..i will shift my attention towards the new 2011 hyundai sonata which i was told has a very smooth shifting automatic transmission....
    With the ongoing need for improving FE and the advent of lockup clutches and 6 speeds automatic transmission shift patterns have changed dramatically throughout the industry.
  • zaken1zaken1 Member Posts: 556
    It is certainly OK to shift your attention to other vehicles; but I would caution you about deciding to buy a vehicle PRIMARILY because you like the way the automatic transmission shifts. The transmission shift quality is a tiny fraction of all the potential issues in new cars. And Hyundai, despite all the PR hype about the advancements in their newest models, has a long history of quality problems and short life expectancy. If the new models live up to their claims and don't turn out to have other new problems after five years of real world service, then I might reconsider this issue; but I've observed this same cycle with over-hyped new models too many times in the past to take it seriously. A much more tried and tested route would be to buy a Toyota with a manual transmission; since the rest of the car is largely bulletproof; and it is the automatic transmissions which have been the source of most of their major problems.
    i would urge anybody in the market for a 2011 toyota camry to take the car for a lengthy test drive and see if the transmission will work for you..on my recent test drive of a 2011 camry base with auto all of the complaints about the rough shifting tranny were evident on my test drive.between 25-35 mph the tranny keeps hunting for the right gear with jerking and abrupt shifting which i felt was rather annoying.i decided i didn't want to get stuck with a car like this and decided not to go with the camry.thank god for test drives....will drive the new 2011 huyndai sonata tomorow which from what i hear from others has a very smooth shifting automatic transmission..
    A FWD with a stick shift can be fraught with issues.

ONLY VW seems to have addressed the problem, automatically up-revving the engine to prevent loss of directional control should the driver downshift to a level that inadvertently results in too much compression braking for current road conditions.
    Keeping a FWD vehicle, or even a F/awd vehicle, equipped with a 6 (9) speed gearbox in the "right" gear for all throttle, coastdown, engine braking, circumstances is NOT an easily overcome issue.
  • tinantinan Member Posts: 2
    My car makes the first noise (sound like popping) as I start the engine and reach 10 mph. About 1 minute later, it makes the second noise (same sound). I took it to dealer, the manager said every 2011 Camry has that noisy because of ABS system. He said nothing is wrong with the transmission or engine; therefore, they did not fix at all. Does any one have the same dealer's answer like me? Unwelcome noises from brand new car are my good morning message every day. Could you suggest what I need to do? Thanks.
    Yes, my car makes noises when I start accelerating about 10 mph. I took it to the dealer, they told me the same thing, which I didn't believe it. The ABS system is from the front of the car, but the noise is from the back.
  • tinantinan Member Posts: 2
    I called Toyota headquarter in Cali 1-800-331-4331 this morning. The representative said it is the first time to hear this problem. And he did not have a test drive 2011 Camry yet, so he doesn't know 2011 Camry noise problem. Do you believe it that Toyota Company totally has not known 2011 Camry noise problem while dealers said every car? That means car buyers have not reported the problem to company. I guess if every buyers report to company, they will recall to fix it. Will you try sunshine43? Thanks.
    edited August 2010
    There is an ABS self test that the ABS system goes thru when first starting. It's up in the front right corner, with a bunch of metal tubes coming out of it. You should find it written up in the owners manual as perfectly normal. It will become much less noticeable after a couple months. I don't know when I stopped hearing it on our '07, but it didn't take too long.

I walked beside it with the hood open and my hand on the ABS pump, to find and determine what the problem was when I first heard it.

It is a perfectly normal situation.
  • n26w81n26w81 Member Posts: 4
    Got a 2011 Camry LE 4cyl AT with about 1500 miles and 4 months of driving (don't laugh).
    After the car is started after being parked for several hours, there's a single pronounced "clunk" from under the car when I make the first turn out of the driveway, in either forwards and reverse. The direction of the turn doesn't matter either. But it occurs only on the first turn after starting the car. Sometimes, the clunk seems to come from the back, sometimes from the front. Any others have this issue or is there already a TSB?

The rattle occurs when I change lanes and hit one of those little reflectors in the pavement. It definitely comes from the wheel area. It has the same sound as loose brake calipers. I recently read in another forum that one 2011 owner found his rattles were because of loose bolts in the suspension. Anyone have this same issue?
  • camryse2011camryse2011 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 SE and is having the same noises. Have you figured out what this is yet?
    Check to see that the 'clunk', isn't the ABS doing it's self test.
    i owned a few toyota camry's from the 1990's and never experienced the "clunks" and "rattles" and other misc noises that people on this forum are haveing..they just don't make em like they used to when the camry's were built exclusivly in japan.
    My car had exactly the same problem that you described. Please call Toyota California 1800-331-4331 to report. I called them and told them about it, they were very appreciated, and the more people report, the better taking action they will.
    I don't buy it is ABS self checking and I own 4 Toyota cars in my family, they were all running good except Camry 2011.
    no wonder why toyota is slashing the prices on these cars.they are pure garbage and i feel sorry for any camry owner's.haveing a 2011 toyota camry with these issues is untolerable.my friends wife bought a 2010 camry last summer and most recently traded it in for a 2011 hyundai sonata.his camry had issues from day 1..tranny issues regarding harsh shifts,jerking shifts,were becomeing very annoying to him as well as the strange noises comeing from up front.dealer service advisor was useless.the difference between the camry and the new sonata is night and day.the new sonata is like when toyota was in their prime and the 2011 camry is like when hyundai was just starting out in 1986...that's where these 2 auto makers are at right now.........
    edited September 2010
    Well check in the owners manual, on my page 172 (07 model, might be different page in 2011)...

"The vehicle stability control system
    helps provide integrated control of the
    systems such as anti−lock brake system,
    traction control, engine control,
    etc. This system automatically controls
    the brakes and engine to help prevent
    the vehicle from skidding when cornering
    on a slippery road surface or operating
    steering wheel abruptly.
    This system will activate when your vehicle
    speed reaches or exceeds 15 km/h
    (9 mph), and will deactivate when the vehicle
    speed reduces to below 15 km/h (9
    mph).
    You may hear a sound in the engine
    compartment for a few seconds when the
    engine is started or just after the vehicle
    begins to move. This means that the system
    is in the self−check mode, but does
    not indicate a malfunction."

You can check it's the VSC/ABS yourself as I've described in previous posts, if you're careful. Park the car, where you will be able to drive it slowly the next morning. In the morning, open the hood, and while you are slowly walking on the passenger side with your hand on the ABS/solenoid pump (front passenger fender wall, immediately behind light area, the thing with the metal tubes coming out of it), have the driver slowly begin driving forward. You will hear and feel the 'clunk' while it does it's self test.

This seems to be noticeable for about the first 6 months of ownership. After that, we never really hear it at all.

Driver needs to be careful doesn't run over you with the tire, doesn't hit anything in front since they can't see past the hood, or you get your hand caught on any engine/vehicle parts. You assume all risk while doing this, but you can prove to yourself that your clunk is the VSC/ABS, or not.
    thank you, I will check the manual and hopefully it will go away after 6 months like yours. Regardless of what, it should not be a annoyed noise like this. I told them they need to take it as consideration and fix it.
    took a 2011 toyota camry base model out for a test drive over labor day weekend.dealer was running a special in the paper for $15,888.00 for 2011 camry base model with auto and standard features and no options.however,the 6sp transmission problems that some people were complaining about was pretty evident on my test drive.enough so to forget about the camry and look at other cars.the tranny shifts in city traffic are horrible to say the least.the tranny is always hunting for the proper gear with abrupt and jerking shift motions which i found annoying.salesmen sitting next to me during test drive says that all camry's are like this and it is not a deffect.that may be the case,but the tranny operation was to annoying for my likeing so i moved on and forgot about the camry.
  • pct108pct108 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2011 Camry XLE 4 cylinder, 6speed auto. I doesn't make the clunking noise but the tranny has problems. Between 25 and 35 mph with light throttle input is feels as if the torque converter is locking and unlocking, searching for right gear? After the engine is warmed up I can smell what seems like tranny fluid, not burned but just strong smell of tranny fluid. No leaks anywhere. Took it to Dealer and was told it was the third one they had seen with this problem. Toyota has no fix as of now and was told by service tec is was normal. I asked, if tranny is a sealed unit where was the smell coming from? No answer. Also has a thumping sound from under the center front of dash.
    This is my 4th Toyota an this one makes me wonder.
    Welcome to the new world...

All new 6-speed transmissions will act this same way, if not now then soon.

The use of a more robust lockup clutch in the higher gear ratios, 3-6, to bypass the torque converter losses, has resulted in an even more "flaccid" torque converter design. Torque converter is now only used, really, to simulate a manual clutch and prevent the engine from stalling at lower speeds.

More "shiftiness" in order to extend, "on paper", FE..

If the shiftiness is really bothersome then buy a vehicle with CVT, if one is available.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hm... I'm not discounting your experience and advice, wwest, but I've seen a lot of complaints recently about vehicles with CVT. Maybe those folks would do better with the shiftier vehicles. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

But I rather doubt if you will ever hear them complain of the ECU's indecisiveness in deciding which gear is appropreate for current conditions.
  • gbsgbsgbsgbsgbsgbs Member Posts: 2
    I got my new 2011 camry base for like a month, with 900 miles on it. However, I have several concerns with my 2011 camry until now and want to share it with others.

1. I can clearly feel the gear changing and the car like pause a little bit, especially at low speed (say less than 40 mph) and It starts to become more and more noticable recently.

2. Sometimes I notice that the car takeoff like it rushes right off the start rather than smoothly accelerating, although I press the gas pedel really gently.

3. Sometimes when I slow the car, I can sense the car will suddenly plunge forward a little bit once or so.

4. There is one sound that I notice when I start the car and reach like 10 mph or so (parking lot speed). Basically it is similar to the sound of door locking. Not sure if anyone else notice it or not.
    Read back thru the camry forums. Your item #4 has been discussed a number of times. It is the braking system doing a self test, and is even documented in your owners manual as well.
  • gbsgbsgbsgbsgbsgbs Member Posts: 2
    I see. I always thought it was the sound of automatic door locking when car starts.
  • ntassistantntassistant Member Posts: 64
    Yes, I totally agree with you regarding Toyota's annoying 6-speed transmissions. I have a 2010 Avalon, also with the 6-speed transmission. I do a lot of city driving and I find the transmission to be confused as it is always searching for the right gear. I hate not "coasting". Informed dealer of issue and was told this is not a defect and it would get better because the vehicle has to get used to my driving habits. Well after 6,000 miles, it never got better. I miss my 04 Corolla with a basic, 4-speed auto. Much more pleasurable to drive, but more compact compared to the Avalon! I love the comfortable ride of the Avalon and that's about it.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    "Informed dealer of issue and was told this is not a defect and it would get better because the vehicle has to get used to my driving habits."

I always love that line. It's pure BS. There's no way a vehicle can be designed to "get used to your driving habits" because over half the vehicles on the road have multiple drivers within the family that all drive differently....over different routes...with different traffic patterns...etc. It's comical.
    right now i know of 2 people who have purchased the 2011 toyota camry's within the past several month's who traded them both in for the 2011 hyundai sonata due to the annoying tranny problems with the camry.from what iv'e been told it's really unbearable in city driveing...
    Not really comical, just not fully true.

Most modern day vehicle's will learn and adjust to the driver's "style", but in the short term only. It begins the learning process the instant you put the car in motion, within a very short period it will have "binned" you within one of four styles, shortly thereafter it will fine tune you into one of sixteen "styles". Now it keeps a running record of the past few minutes of driving and will use that record to revise your style as you go.

The "record" is mind-wiped upon each and every restart of the engine.
    After reading and learning more about why these 6-speed transmissions are designed the way they are, I am very disappointed. These cars are not pleasurable to drive, but rather annoying more than anything (only in city driving). Speaking from my own experience, at times, it almost feels like my car is going to stall when I release my foot from the accelerator. I find the transmission to be confused, like it asks itself, "what do I do now, which gear should I be in"? It simply doesn't know. Thus the strange feeling of not being able to coast ahead without having to "give it gas".

The 4 cylinder Camry transmissions are imported from Japan. If I'm not mistaken, the 6 cylinder model transmissions are made in the US. Originally, I thought the imported transmissions wouldn't have this problem, but I was wrong! As mentioned, I drive a 2010 Avalon. I recently drove a 4 cylinder 2011 Camry LE (brand new with 2 miles on it and part of dealer's rental fleet). I found the Camry's transmission to be slightly better in city driving than my Avalon. However, the transmission still exhibits the gear hunting, or confusion as I like to call it. This is the new technology, and I guess we (current owners) have no choice but to get used to it or find another car.
    "..coast ahead without having to "give it gas.""

What you are experiencing, partially, is the new (well, fairly so) fuel cut technique/procedure used to extend FE. When you let off the gas completely the engine will be COMPLETELY starved of fuel. To prevent the engine from stalling the transaxle will be downshifted sequentually as speed declines. Once it reaches a point, low enough speed, wherein this is no longer possible it will upshift to an appropriate coasting gear ratio and begin feeding enough fuel for engine idle.

The transaxle will then not actually shift down into 1st until you have come to a full and complete stop.
    Thanks for your information, you seem to know a great deal about Toyota's "new" engineering techniques and purposes. I don't understand how the "fuel cut technique" actually saves fuel. I find myself having to use more gas due to the slowing down (not during stop and go traffic, but just driving around town on side streets, etc.). As mentioned, I never experienced this while driving a 4-speed auto. Corolla. I guess things are just more simple with those transmissions as they're smaller and less complicated.
    Just learn to start slowing, coasting down, later.

The newer fuel cut technique is now more aggressive than in past years, most especially so, much more noticeable, with the new 6(9) speed trnasaxles.
  • rdc3434rdc3434 Member Posts: 2
    Driveing south on hwy395, 50/60 miles north of Reno,Nv.my camry died going downhill. Was in cruise control @65mph. Pulled over,stopped,put tranny in Park. Started engine,all was nornal. Got back on freeway, on downhill side of next hill engine died. This time I put tranny in netural & started engine. Again all was normal so back to 65mph & set cruise. This happened TWO more times. FOUR times total.FACTS: on freeway, road was straight, downhill grades(1 to 3 miles) gas gauge wasbetween 1/2 & 1/4 ,Temp. 103F, After 2nd time,turned off ac ,radio & lights. After 4th time,turned off cruise ,Called Reno Toyota,advised them I was coming in & drove about 30 miles to Reno Toyota without any problems.RenoToyota service report states they performed Diag. No codes storedPerformed health check,all within spec. Service person suggested I drive the car to destination &do not use cruise control.Mileage in Reno 2,929 miles.Arrived in Yuma,Az. No problems as I did not use cruise control. Went to Yuma Toyota.They ran Diag. Same as Reno. Yuma Toyota cannot road test with similar conditions as everything is desert. Could fuel cut tech.be the problem? And if so how do I get it fixed? Would really like (wwest) comments as well as any others.Thanks rdc3434
    Hmmmm....2011 Camry...

Sounds suspeciously to me like a cruise control engine/transaxle ECU control firmware bug. New Brake override firmware fix gone awry...?

I have always thought that the unintended acceleration problem had something to do with a CC firmware bug. Here we are, new 2011 Camry, in the same firmware code area with a new symptom.

One of the ideas, possible fixes, for a WOT runaway engine would be to starve the engine of fuel if the engine doesn't fall to idle within a very short period of brake application. Did you by any chance make use of the brakes, even a light "touch", just prior to engine stalling? Or in the alternative is the brake light switch adjusted to be a bit too sensitive..?