Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cruze

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
Here's where we'll discuss the new Cruze!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• tunisjstunisjs Member Posts: 5
    sorry, if im off topic here but im unable to find a cruze site, the one listed on the chevy page jumps to here. i sat in a daewoo lacetti (i.e. cruze) during a visit to korea last week and picked up some literature. im not a gm fan but was very impressed. Im 6'2", 200lbs and fit well, front and back. good driving position, nice looks, while parked and while observed driving on street. a substantial feeling car. unfortunately i couldnt test drive one. i have also seen them chevy badged in singapore. i cant wait to drive one in the u.s.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    What do you think about the price? Base will start ~ $17K.

The base price is fine but the LT1 starts at $19K without cruise control, alloys, remote start, etc. At $19K GM needs to offer these items std.

I assume the LT2 will be optioned the way I'd buy the car and guess that's going to be $21K. Too rich for my blood. If Chevy offered the LT2 at $19K, then they would sell like hotcakes. It's a big, good looking car for the class.

GM is leaving room for rebates and I will buy if I can get what I want for under $20,000.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    When you look at what you can get well optioned up in the midsize class and compare it to the Cruze, suddenly the Cruze doesn't look so good. Especially considering you're only gaining 3-4 mpg over some of the midsizers.

I like it but they will have to give discounts right off the bat almost to compete pricewise.
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    I just drove a Cruze LT at a GM event. It was only about a 10-minute drive around town so it was not comprehensive, but I was very impressed. My car had the turbo engine and it was powerful, if a bit noisy when you put your foot in it. I would take that engine over the standard one I think based on the power. It was not as quiet as the Buick Regal I drove a while back but I suppose that is not unexpected in a Chevrolet. The interior design was outstanding. Mine had a red and black interior and the red seat fabric was also applied to the dash -- not sure about the practicality of that, but it looked great. Dash design was very good and modern. Not sure about the pricing on the car I drove but I think it is a very competitive design. I currently drive a Buick and I would not think twice about moving into one of these. They may be a smaller car, but it did not come across as cheap and is miles ahead of the Cobalts I have driven.
  • overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    I think people expecting big rebates soon after the car goes on sale are going to be disappointing. GM's newer products (Equinox for example) are not really cheap. They are far better than the cars they replace and for the most part dealers are able to sell them without rebates. The Cruze charges more because its a more refined car and CHevy obviously thinks people will be willing to pay for the refinment and features. Mazda doesn't price the 3 to beat out the corolla or Elantra on value. The car costs more because its better equipped and better appointed than its lower cost competitors and Mazda is fine with that. Chevy is taking a similar position with the Cruze- you get what you pay for. If you want class leading mileage and a class leading interior and a huge trunk you will have to pay more than you will for a Corolla with a 4 speed automatic and a hard plastic dull interior.
    Any word on a launch date? I heard 3Q10 or September and now we're hearing Fall 2010 or October.

Is a firm date available?
    After labor day. I believe production has already started but they are saying availability by September.
    Chevrolet now has the Cruze up and running on it's website........

Cruze Website
    I heard these will be hitting dealerships in the 2nd half of September.

I'm glad GM went with 60-series rubber on the Cruze LS and LT. The 2LT has optional 215/50R17 tires, but you can get a loaded Cruze 2LT without being forced into low-profile tires. This is a good move on GM's part with only the LTZ having the 45-series rubber standard.

60-series tires ride better than 50-series and I appreciate Chevy offering us a good range of tire/wheel options.
    Are supposed to start this week. Production is underway and supposedly most dealers will have them by end of the month. I am surprised they are advertising the car before its really available on dealer lots.
    I am surprised they are advertising the car before its really available on dealer lots.

I am a bit surprised as well. In my case it is pleasantly surprised. :)

The Cruze has been a "Future Vehicle" for so long, it was finally good to see Chevy update their website and provide us with ALL the details.

I've heard these will be hitting dealerships the week of Sept. 19th. :D
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Would prefer 65 series sneakers but 60's will work fine. We have 55's now but really like more rubber on the road. Car doesn't look 1/2 bad for an American car, we've been foreign car buyers since our last GM in 1985. So the Cruze is pretty good to even make it onto our short list. If the seats are pretty decent and my wife can see the end of the hood, it could very well make it into our garage as wifey's new ride. Looking forward to test driving it when it debuts along with the others on our short list.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

well official production started today and shipments start next week. I hope they are going to make enough cars so they dont end up with an Equinox problem. I believe they are running 3 shifts so they should be able to meet demand. I saw one of the commericals last night.
    things have come a long way since '85. I'd argue that the average "American car" is better looking than the average product coming out of Toyota or Honda.
    And I'd argue for the other side...personally prefer the Japanese/Korean/German product so much more than the American rides. The Sonata/Optima & the new Jetta/Golf to just name some. The Cruze has sparked my interest though and if it has the fit/finish & mileage of the overseas competition, we'll be sure to give it a test drive. Our local Cheby place is right across the street with the Mazda dealer which is next to the Hyundai/Mitsubishi dealer which is next to the Vdub store. Great location for us. Our Honda/Nissan/Kia store is across town, maybe 8 miles away which also works.
    Luckily, our time frame is such that we can try all the models on our short list & have plenty of time to research. I really want stability control & am willing to wait for a 2011 model if need be.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Early reviews of the Jetta have noted its competent but cheaper all around than the old model. THere are quite a few features on the Cruze that cannot be had on any Jetta for any price including power drivers seat, Onstar and auto climate control. On top of that the Jetta gets worse mileage unless you opt for the TDI. I believe the 2.5L (only acceptable engine in that car) gets 23/31 vs 24/36 for the non Eco Cruze. Granted the jetta has more power and will be faster but 0-60 times arent usually what people care about in this class.

The sonata delivers lots of value but I think the styling of the base model suffers greatly compared to the SE with its larger wheels and additional chrome trim. Interior wise, the Cruze has better materials IMHO. Sonata is faster and larger though.
    Reliable sources place the 2011 Cruze LT (1.4T w/auto) at 24MPG City and 36MPG Hwy. Has anyone seen the official EPA numbers yet?
    Excellent materials from the one's I've sat in. If the Cruze has interiors like the other Chevy offerings, I'll go the Hyundai route, thank you very much. Personally think the Cruze is going to have a hard time against the new Elantra coming out which will be it's direct competition. Really believe that the Elantra will steal many of the sales away from Chevy. But we'll still keep it on our short list anyways.

those are EPA numbers. 24/36 for turbo and 26/36 for the base model with a stick. ECO numbers have not been released yet but I read once that we should expect around 27/40 for the ECO model.
    I've been in two models. Interior is better than anything short of the golf. Its at least as good as the Sonata- I would say better in terms of feel and appearance. It actually looks more upscale in person than the Sonata interior. New Elantra will probably be nice but I dont understand why it would only take sales from Cruze. What about Civic and corolla? Both of those cars are lacking relative to the Cruze so I fail to see how the Chevy would lose the most from the presence of the Elantra.
    edited September 2010
    It should have been implied that it meant the whole econocar group which includes the Corolla & Civic...thought everyone understood that. A new Civic will debut in 2012 also as I recall & that'll be a 1, 2 punch that'll be hard to beat. We'll just have to let the numbers speak for themselves won't we! I suspect the next generation Corolla will also be something outstanding, as this current generation didn't exactly hit a homerun.

Personally think this segment will be the hotest one in the next couple of years with all the major players coming out with new models which only get better & better. So glad we're going to be looking during this time frame...yay!!

I expect the Cruze to sell very well. For those who don't follow GM Inside News, there's an excellent thread on the Cruze's NVH (or lack thereof) running now:

GM Inside News

There is some strong competition on the horizon with the 2012 Ford Focus, Honda Civic and Hyundai Elantra, and VW Jetta arriving next year. It's a good thing Chevrolet has built a Lexus-like vault on wheels that the competitors cannot touch.
    The cars with the most current marketshare have the most to lose from the increased competition. The current Elantra and Cobalt have never challenged the Corolla/Civic in terms of sales so I would say the Cruze and 2011 Elantra have a chance to gain serious share. The Focus already sells well but the new one should be even more successful at attracting potential Corolla/Civic owners. The civic will be changed for 2012 but spy shots indicated its an evolutionary redesign. Don't expect an all new Corolla for several years. Out of all the major players the Corolla is the farthest away from a complete redesign. Honda's recent redesigns have been modest in terms of increasing technology and mileage so I'm not expected the Civic to break any new ground which is good for Cruze. Besides, its going to be very difficult for any compact to match 40mpg within the next few years.
    edited September 2010
    One man's opinion which I don't agree with. But that's what will make these next few years very interesting in this market. Just let me say that when I hear "Lexus-like vault on wheels" and "the others can' touch", I tend to totally dismiss those comments. Maybe you guys have a crystal ball or something but all I hear is "opinion" & nothing else. "Facts" guys, facts is what your arguments lack...plain & simple. Personally, I hope they are all home runs & sell tons, much better for folks like us who will be in the market.

But for now, I'll reserve judgment and let you two "experts" spin things as much as possible. Seeing is believing, so I'll just sit & wait. One last thing, with this crystal ball you've both got, I've got some stock tips that y'all can check out for me before I plunk my $ down. You can always reach me here with your recommendations!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

Well, I brought 30ozs of gold 4 years old at $650/oz. :P Forget equities - it's a game for the big boys. Gold will hit $1500/oz by December 2011. An 18% gain from today's levels.

Oh and the Cruze? Great little car and it will be very successful for GM.
    Actually professional reviews have verified the "lexus like quiet" and numerous reviews claimed the car was clearly quieter and more refined than the Civic and Corolla. I'm not sure whose opinion you would truse since it seems that you have made up your mind that the Cruze can't possibly be superior to the Japanese compacts. It has more features, more torque, more airbags and a quieter ride. I'm not exactly sure what areas it falls behind in. Sorry, but "wait until the next gen Civic comes out" isnt an acceptable argument right now. The current civic is what the Cruze will compete with for another year and that's what counts until fall 2011.
    edited September 2010
    I haven't made up my opinion on anything actually since I haven't test drove any of them. I just always base my opinion on personal experience not what the "so-called professional reviewers" say or based on what everyday folks say. Once I drive the cars, then I can make an informed decision...period. I actually like the exterior of the Cruze, it has a pretty muscular stance and with the wider tires filling out the wheel wells, it is a looker! But I need to wait till I drive it till I can make an informed decision.

We'll test all the cars in the sub-compact & the econocar categories & then make our decision. So I can't speculate what I'll like & what I won't like. Go ahead & tell others "what counts & what doesn't"...what you say means nothing to me. I suggest you guys move on already...this is getting tedious & boring actually. Try to influence others in here...you're wasting your time with me!

Time to move on now!!! Bye.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

The official EPA Fuel Economy numbers are now available.

EPA

The ECO numbers are not yet available. I thought it was interesting that after all the banter about the Cruze being "mid-size", the EPA lists it as a Compact.
    That seems odd. I know the size rankings are based on volume and the cruze has almost as much interior volume as the Malibu which is a midsize according to the EPA. I believe the Cruze has around 94 cu ft of passenger volume. Its definitely on the upper end of the compact segment in terms of length, weight and interior space. The trunk is best in class.
    It may get changed. The EPA lists the Cruze at 94 cu ft passenger volume and 16 cu ft trunk volume for 110 total! These numbers differ slightly from Chevrolet's which came in at 94.6 and 15.4 but the total is the same.

Technically the Cruze squeaks into the mid-size class and yes, the trunk is huge for a car in this class.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    This looks better than the sedan IMO. Don't keep it in Europe, wouldn't cost much to bring it here. If not, I'd probably go with new Focus or Forte hatch for my next car.
    Mentioned this car to the wife at lunch a bit earlier & she screwed her face up. Just said that we need to test drive one seriously as it's going to be on the "short list" when we start looking. Dealer right across the street...a plus...same dealer is our Mazda guy...another plus. Actually like the dash layout...not as good as my Civic's but she's used to that kind like on her M3s. We're not Ford folks either but also will be putting the Fiesta on that list also. She basically goes by how it looks & drives & if she can see the front of the hood. If she can find 1 with this combination...it could be her next ride. Hopefully we'll have a choice. Let's hope the Cruze makes the list!

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    saw that in a magazine today (AW). Looks pretty good, but hard angle to really see it from.

If they would have brought this in, it would have vaulted way up my short list!

heck, go all the way and make it in a real wagon format (like the former Focus wagon) and I would really be interested!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

just used the Chevy site (not very good working one). To get a moonroof on an LT2, you are almost up to 23K. And that doesn't even seem to have bluetooth or a USB port yet!

that could be a tough sell, since there is some serious competition at that price point. Even a Civic EX is a bunch cheaper (although without leather and a Power seat)

edited September 2010
    LT2 does have BT and USB standard. This is shown right on the cruze section of the Chevy site. The Cruze isnt going to be the cheapest in the class, its a larger, more refined car for more money. Its more akin to the 3 or Jetta than the Civic or Corolla. Things have reversed because in the past people would buy American to spend less money and make compromises in the process. Now its the Honda that is cheaper and compromised.

I got $22,245 for an LT2 with sunroof. I'm pretty sure a comparable civic lacks quite a few features found on such a cruze including Onstar, USB, leather, heated seats, remote start, 6 speed auto, 10 airbags, etc. You pay more to get more.
    I came out with 22,700, but that included the convenience package (or some such) that had something important in it.

That Chevy site was very clunky to use (on my PC at least). I based the USB/bluetooth comment on how they listed it as a feature on the LTZ, but not the LT2.

I guess based on MSRP that is probably close to what a Mazda3 grand touring (with HID, leather, etc.) goes for. But, as with likely the cruze, most volume will be at the cheaper levels.

At least the Cruze offers a power drivers seat. That is something I am not looking to give up, unless they go back to real 8 way manual adjustability! And mazda and Honda don't have it.

well according to the chevy site BT and USB are standard on LT2 and LTZ. This is shown on the "build your own" page that shows the highlights of whats offered on each model. The LT2 is in the middle. I would think most Cruze's will be LT1s and LTS2s. The base car has a decent price but I doubt its really going to be the retail volume leader with the 1.8L engine. That's probably for fleet use primarily. As small cars get more high tech and efficient they are going to get more expensive. The new Jetta is priced very close to the Cruze and the SEL model starts at about $22k with a manual transmission.
    edited September 2010
    The LT2 Driver Convenience Package costs $475 and includes: auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, covered visors, outside heated, power-adjustable, body-color, manual-folding mirrors and Rear Parking Assist.

It's not something I would order but the heated mirrors are nice to have. The rear parking assist on a car this size is not needed and I don't like the looks of the "buttons" across the rear bumper.

I'm looking for an LT1 with cruise & alloys at around $19,900 or an LT2 at $21,400.
    I like the ads for this car. In spite of the critcism of the styling I think the LTZ in the ads looks pretty good.
    edited September 2010
    Never thought in a million years that I'd ever like a domestic product ever again, but 2 have caught my eye. The Cruze looks very appealing but am also drawn to the Caddy CTS...saw one up close last night & wow...killer car! Always had Caddy's in my younger years...folks loved 'em, but this CTS looks amazing. Also, the Cruze RS in the dark grey is beautiful...very aerodynamic!

We might find a Cruze in our garage next year if I can get the wife to try one...feeling the earth move a bit under my computer...lol! It looks that good!!!

The "Import" Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

This mean they are out at the dealers now? I drove by a Chevy place today (did not stop), and didn't see any positioned out front. You want a Camaro, they had at least 10 lined up along the road.

The Chevy store is right across the street and have yet to see one. See Camaro's & Malibu's parked up front but no Cruze's as of yet. Would think the South Florida market would be on their initial launch lists also...?

I have to say initial distribution for the Cruze has been poor. I have 4 large Chevy dealerships within 30 miles of me and none of them have even one Cruze to display.

I'm disappointed with the roll out. :( Let's hope GM gets their act in gear so we can at least look at a car that's been on sale world-wide since last year.
    edited September 2010
    Production just started about 2 weeks ago so its going to be a while before the car is widely available. I would think by late October every dealer would have a few in stock. I think they are running 3 shifts at this plant so there should plenty out there very soon. With all the ads I've seen people will be looking for these cars soon.
    use the vehicle search feature on chevy.com. Lots of times very new models arent on display out front after they first arrive at a dealer.
    Believe me, people are looking now. :)

Yes, I used the vehicle search at chevrolet.com and found 1 Cruze within 50 miles of me. That's 1 out of 7 dealerships! :(

Not to be negative but; this car has been in production for over 3 weeks now and I have to believe there's a problem in Lordstown. The start-up must be very slow or there'd be 20,000 Cruze's available by now and clearly that's not the case.

My guess is they're only building a handful every day which might be good in the long run. ;) I believe you're correct. It will be the end of October before they are widely available.
    They had already built some units before the "official" start of production. I think they are going full bore right now but it takes a while to ship cars all over the US and Canada. When Gm released monthly sales data they also release production data. When the September sales come out we will see how many Cruze's have been made. I'd imagine at least 10k have been made.
    Did a search on chevy.com and 16 models were available within 25miles of my zip code. On cars.com 13 models showed up.