Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• chrisneedsarubchrisneedsarub Member Posts: 7
    I just saw one of these at my local jeep dealer. They received them this morning in a shipment. Basically a loaded X but here are the differences:

Green Fender Flares
    Green Top
    Green Steel Wheels

and best of all

Camoflauge accented seats!!!

It really looked cool so I took one for a test drive! Sticker on it was 24,xxx$

I forgot my camera so no pics yet, but maybe tomorrow!

Chris
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Ok, my 98 GC was in need of service so i put it in the shop. A sales person has let me drive a 2004 unlimited for free for 2 days. I know they hope i buy the unlimited. I just recieved a call making me an offer of $22,136 and has a MSRP of $26,636. It has all tinted windows, hardtop, 7 speaker stereo, auto dimming mirror with compass, i guess all the standard goodies that come on an unlimited. They will also swap out my new BFG 31x10 AT onto the unlimited for free and put the stock tires on my GC. I have to take Chrysler financial financing to get the $1,500 in discount and they are applying my $500 military discount. Does this sound like a descent deal??? I have until friday afternoon to make up my mind.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Jeff,

Good looking Unlimited. I have Kkaki interior in mine, but I still went with the black Huskyliners and I'm glad I did. I have them front, rear and cargo area.
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    Someone mentioned that the Unlimited is a much more civilized ride, more stable, etc. But the Unlimited is almost as long as a Liberty, so if I wanted something that large (relatively speaking), I would go for the Liberty and get a quantum leap in comfort, ride quality, handling, quietness, etc.

The Wrangler is radically different from a car in how it drives on pavement, but it's the only thing that can do the things I did on Saturday. Part of the reason for this is its super-short length. So I wouldn't want to give that up for the Unlimited, which would be an awful pavement machine compared to any other small SUV (like the Liberty), with compromised off-road ability compared to the normal Wrangler. It would be the worst of both worlds, kind of.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    my unlimited had a sticker of 26,785. I paid 22800 after rebates were applied, I received the $1000 purchase rebate, the $500 finanacing rebate , (but not the military rebate)

I was happy with the deal I got!

jeff

but it all depends on your trade, are you happy with what you are getting there??
    Man, you really insulted Nicole.

She loves running down the Highway and is totally looking forward to the first time she gets to go offroad.

jeff
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Sounds like a good deal to me - mine was about the same though I didn't get the hard top or have them swap tires around. I'd go for it, if it is what you want.
    You insulted my Green Machine, too!

But each of us have different needs, likes and so on. If the Unlimited doesn't do it for you, by all means, get a Sport or a Rubicon. And from the sounds of things, you really should get a Rubicon - my personal experience is that you don't give up any on-road comfort or handling when you buy a Rubicon over a Sport (assuming you can afford it).

I like the Liberty and I've seen that it is quite capable off-road, not like other small SUVs. I don't think it is a quantum leap in either ride quality, handling or quietness over the Unlimited - ride quality and handling weren't much different and while it is quieter, it isn't as much as I had expected. Perhaps in comfort, if you like leather (I don't). However, it sure doesn't fit short passengers. I'll take my Unlimited over a Liberty any day.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Jefferson:

Man, you are talking $4500 off sticker! I don't see how you could do any better than that.

PULL THE TRIGGER! (Especially if this dealer is one that you have confidence in.)

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    There is a MUCH greater factor than vehicle length as far as off road capability, and that is the suspension system. The Liberty has IFS, and it will not begin to go the places that a Wrangler will go, whether the Wrangler is a short wheel base version or the Unlimited version. So, don't think you "might as well get a Liberty as an Unlimited," as far as off road capability.

I wheel with XJs all the time, and even with their longer wheel base compared to that of a standard Wrangler, they go just about anywhere that I go. They have a solid front axle and coil springs (same front suspension as a Wrangler), whereas the Libby has IFS.

I posted somewhere a few pages back that length can be a positive factor in some off road situations, but I admit that it is a disadvantage in most off road situations. A slightly bigger lift and bigger tires can overcome some of the disadvantage of the extra length as far as breakover angle.

Joe, I am not trying to talk you into an Unlimited. I am not trying to talk you into ANYTHING. But, your reasoning in your last post was flawed.

Tom

the one thing i do not like is what im getting on my trade. $3500 for a good looking lifted 98 GC I6 4x4 limited edition well taken care of with 86K. They said i could take my trade out of the deal since i owe $4,700 on it and my payments would drop as calculated. Also i could switch to a soft top for about $1,000 less. So the soft top would run me about $21,200+/- plus TTL. The dealer is really desperate to move the unlimiteds they have about 7 left and is will to trade with other dealer to get the color i want and keep the same price. It is a great price i must say, and edmunds has the TMV at $24,324 and invoice at $23,962 which is correct with what the dealer showed me as invoice. If i could just break even on the trade i would sign papers today....
    What does Edmunds say average trade-in value on your ZJ should be?

Is there any way to keep it, and make both payments for a while? You could then try to sell that puppy on your own.

The dealer is not going to make much of any profit on that Unlimited, so he is going to try to get your ZJ at a price that will allow him to make a decent profit in selling it. Can't blame him for that.

Or, here's an idea! KEEP the ZJ, throw the payoff amount into the new loan (You're getting the Unlimited so cheap, I know that the bank would cover the full amount.), and then have just one payment, but be able to have both vehicles. You could decide if you want to keep the ZJ long term or go ahead and try to sell it, not being in any big hurry and holding out for a good price.

See there! I just solved your problem!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

Tom

I just checked at edmunds and it says the trade-in on my ZJ in average condition is $5,633 minimum with a retail value of $8,300. Now that edmunds was right on the money on the invoice i know they are right on the money on the trade in. This is where the dealer is trying to make the money back on discounting the jeep. Either they raise my trade-in to very close to what edmunds says or i take it back, unfortunately i cannot afford 3 car payments including the wifes envoy. I must say they are more than reasonable on the price of the unlimited and will keep that price even without a trade-in but are trying to make a killin on my trade.... :-(
    It is very difficult to arrive at an "average trade-in value" for a particular vehicle. So much depends on the condition and the mileage. I know they attempt to take condition and mileage into consideration, but, still, it is hard to come up with a meaningful value.

Also, I'll bet "average trade-in value" takes into consideration deals where the dealer is making some decent profit on the new car and is willing to go a little higher on trade-in allowance.

You have to put yourself in th dealer's shoes. He has no guarantee that your ZJ will sell at anywhere near market value. No one wants to pay book price, right? Everyone is "looking for a deal."

Your payment shouldn't be more than about $80 a month more, if you throw payoff on the ZJ in with the loan on the Unlimited, right? Can you pay the extra $80 per month for two or three months while you try to sell the ZJ? You KNOW you can get much closer to the $4700 payoff value by selling it yourself. Heck, sounds like you can advertise it for trade-in value, then take even a little less and get more than payoff for it.

Tom

P.S. You said you can't handle three car payments. Well, that's why I said let the bank on the new loan pay off the ZJ for you and include that amount on your new loan. That will have to be a lower payment than the total of the two payments you would have by keeping your old loan on the ZJ and the new loan with just the Unlimited on it.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    While Edmunds can be spot on pricing for new vehicles, used ones are a whole different ball game.

Why not post over in "Real-World Trade-In Values" to get an idea of what your GC is really worth to a dealer.

You've certainly been quoted an excellent price for the Unlimited, way better than I would have thought. If your GC is really worth what you posted it should fly away if you advertise it for just your payoff. You could also try a few local used car lots.........they buy cars as well as sell them!

Anyhow, a straight purchase of the Unlimited sounds like a deal that can't be beaten.
    clean that baby up, get a window marker, paint FOR SALE, and park her on the busiest street you can find.

I got $5300 out of my 95 4Runner with 125K miles.

Best thing that can happen is that you will sell it for more than trade in value,

Worst thing that can happen is that someone else will smack it while parked on that busy street and their insurance company will buy your GC.

The soft top is a $700 dealer cost option ($795 retail). Don't count on dropping $1000 for a soft top.

Jeff

ps,, i've been tagged the loan arranger on here, even though I don't make car loans. don't get upside down (trade a vehicle for less than you owe) onto a new vehicle. it creates a hole thats hard to dig out of. (you will need a winch and 2 shovels)
    Who was that masked man that just gave the financial advice???

Why, that was the L O A N A R R A N G E R!

Well, Mr. Loan Arranger, tell me what you think about a guy trading when he is $8000 upside down on trade-in and takes out a home equity loan to cover all but $2000 of that deficit and finances the rest with the new vehicle. That's what I did when I got Thelma Jane. :)

STUPID, HUH????

Do I regret it? NOT A BIT! That's how much I love my Jeep!

Yeeeeeeeeehawwwwwww!!!!!

Tom

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~tsjay51/thelma.html

Tom

Tom,, you must have a winch, 2 shovels, and a snatch strap. Lots of people do it, home equities are the way to go, if you are, usually a good rate, tax deductible, and a longer term if you need it.

anyone out there looking at financing, see if your lender offers a "courtesy mortgage" with their new car loans, my credit union does, and their interest rate right now is 3.5% on new jeeps. think they charge more for Fords (just kidding)

its a mortgage taken as extra security for your vehicle loan. gives you the tax advantages of a home mortgage. it gives the bank a big advantage in that if you don't pay for your vehicle, they foreclose on your house. moral of the story, make the payments.

jeff

the loan arranger..
    It was a stupid thing to do, but it did have the effect of curing me from wanting to trade all the time. I have had Thelma Jane nearly four years, and I have never come close to trading her!

Too bad I didn't get into Jeeps years before I did.

Tom

you got a great deal on the 6 gallons of gas, - free. i barely had enough to get to the gas station across the street.

when i sold my 4runner, the tank was full, a fresh oil change and cleaner than the day a got it.

I wanted to do every inexpensive thing i could to be sure the buyer was happy with the sale. didn't want that thing coming back interfering with me buying my jeep.

jeff
    my parents came over tonight, Dad hadn't been in a jeep since the Korean War. He said mine rides alot better than his did, but it got him where he needed to go.

I told them that I really wish I had bought a jeep 20 years ago instead of my first 4Runner.

jeff
    Ain't it the truth!

Man, I MIGHT have traded my CJ for YJ, and then I might have traded my YJ for a TJ, but that would have been three trades (counting the trade to get the CJ to start with) over a LONG number of years instead of trading all the time like I did.

I was buying my THIRD brand new vehicle in 21 months when I signed the deal on Thelma Jane.

Tom

My sales associate gave me his cell number so i called him tonight. I talked to him about my trade value and he admitted that the "big guy" was trying to get my trade cheap. He said we could take it to carmax and have them appraise it and they would give me that value. He said they were losing money on the vehicle and so why not go all they way, LOL.... we will see what happens, im meeting him tomorrow at 6pm.
    Man, I AM EXCITED! I hope this happens for ya!

In defense of your dealer, look at it like this... if they wanted a vehicle like yours on their lot, they could go to auction and pick one up for wholesale price. They are selling you the new Unlimited at their cost, and, who knows, maybe even lower (even with hold back taken into consideration)??? They really have no incentive to give you much more than wholesale on your trade-in.

I know car dealers get bashed all the time, but I am one who thinks that just a few "bad guys" have tarnished the reputation of some good, honest, hard-working businessmen.

I personally have a very good relationship with at least three different car dealerships. Favors above and beyond the call of duty have been done for me at all three.

The service manager at one dealership has been so good to me that I asked that he be given the $50 "bird dog" fee, which is give to people for referrals. That was when I bought the Impala before Christmas last year.

Tom

Your offer is better than mine - I have a soft top (only option I didn't get is the locking gas cap). Mine was $23,400 out-the-door.

I agree that coming up with a dollar figure on a used car is difficult. Before I sold the Taco I talked to Autoland about what they would give me for it. They told me that (generally)they "bought" cars for $3,000 less than blue book. Since I couldn't afford to take that kind of a hit, I sold it outright. Put an ad in the on-line version of California's Recycler (no cost for private parties to place ads) and sold it the first day to the first person who came up to look at it.

Good luck with it!
  • chrisneedsarubchrisneedsarub Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone else seen the Willys edition Jeep or an I just a moron for not noticing it before! I think it is really cool. The Camo seats wont be for everyone though!

C
    Sorry, my friend, but I am not much impressed by those puppies. To each his own.

Have you given up on your Rubicon idea in favor of a Willys???

Tom

• guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    They had one early last model year. Followed by the Columbia edition, Rocky Mtn. edition. I didn't go for the Willys either. Don't think the Army would have chosen metallic paint if the re ordered any Wranglers.
    Ditto. I think the Willys is pretty lame. I also thought the Tomb Raider 2 Rubicon was lame as well.
  • dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    Hey Chris,

Everybody's got their opinions about trim levels, color and stuff like that. When I was shopping I really wanted red and found a good deal on a silver Wrangler but couldn't bring myself to buy one that wasn't red. Within days I found and bought my red Wrangler while reading posts about how great the silver is. To each his own I guess.

Bottom line is this, if you like it and can get a good deal, BUY IT! You won't regret it. And when all is said and done, it's still a Wrangler. You will have fun with it. And don't forget to wave to other Wrangler drivers even if you think their trim levels are lame. Most everyone will wave back no matter what color your flares are.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    I didn't think much of the Tomb Raider Rubicon either, but when I went to test drive a Rubicon, it was the only one they had. The red seatbelts were over the top and I couldn't imagine spending all that much money for the Rubicon package and then babying it to keep a limited edition in mint condition.

The Willys is OK, but not my cup of tea. I liked the green they used on it, though it didn't look anything like how I remember the OD green/camo pattern on the Jeeps I drove in my Army days. Just my opinion, but I didn't see anything on it that would be worth the extra money to me, personally. I never saw the Columbia edition, so don't have an opinion of it.

However, I really like the Rocky Mountain edition. That one had what looked like really useful additions (Dana 44, rocker panel protection etc.) as well as good looking.
    Well, I've had my Rubi since May and this is the first time I've atttempted to put my golf clubs in it. We have a little sports car as our 3rd car and I always drive it when I'm playing...
    It's a no go with the back seat up. Have to fold the backseat forward and put the clubs in at an angle. Kind of funny how little space there is when the seats up.
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    That price is less than I paid for my 2004 Sport…I would jump on the deal (If you can afford it).

Glen
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    The dealer I bought Ellie’Mae from had a Columbia edition on his lot. I thought it looked good for a street ride. But, it just did not look rugged enough for my taste.

Although, I believe looks were definitely deceiving, and believe me I would not be embarrassed to call a Columbia mine.

Glen
    Keats - I kept the seat tumbled forward for quite a while when I first got it. Then I just took it out and it is sitting under the stairs in the house. It's turning out to be more useful to me as a saddle rack than as a car seat!

Glen - Up until last week I would have said that I always go for practicality and don't pay much attention to looks. If that were really true, I would have bought an Unlimited that was sitting on the dealer's lot (maybe even gotten a better deal?) - not had them trade for one over 100 miles away just because of color!
    Im heading to the dealer to meet sales guy at 6pm. My wife and I discussed the wrangler and decided it would make a fun 3rd car. Ive decided not to trade my grand and keep it as the work car and the wrangler for weekends and nice days. Also, move to a soft top and shale green. The problem will be the color, ive searched the metroplex and have found only 1 shale green unlimited, but dont know if its a hardtop or soft. I will know in the next hour whats going to happen. The good news is either way im still driving a JEEP.....
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Be SURE to post the details when the deed is done!

Tom

I was a 3 vehicle family for a year. It was always a toss up which was going to get driven on any given day. I'm down to 2 now and I may as well sell the volvo and buy "stuff" for the jeep, the volvo has been driven once in the past 2 weeks, I love driving the jeep!!

jeff
    I've looked and searched, but I cannot find the auxillary power wires that some people say are behind the glove box. I've looked and I cannot figure out how to get to the wires that feed the cigarette lighters (or what ever they are called since I don't smoke)

where do most people access power?

I did find a couple decent placed to hide the connection box, under the coin tray and under the gear shift.

jeff
    Jeff:

What are you trying to hook up? I just went to the power distribution box under the hood (near the battery) to hook up my CB. It is not switched, so it is on without the key on.

Tom

• slagleslagle Member Posts: 6
    September of last year my jeep had a crack in the header pipe right at the seams. I finally found someone to replace the pipe for me. After 3 weeks of nothing but hassle the mechanic finished and I don't think that my jeep had ever ran so good. It was really quiet except for a very faint hissing sound that would come and go. Just recently I have noticed this hissing noise all of the time loud and the jeep itself is loud again. I climbed underneath the jeep and i didn't see anything cosmetically wrong with the header pipe. What could this hissing be and do you guys think that header is getting ready to crack again? What could I do to prevent this and fix the hissing & loudness of the engine. Wrangler 99 Sport 4 x 4.
    a cb

jts
    They say you should hook up your hot wire as close to the battery as you can for the cleanest (less static) sound on your CB. That power distribution box works well. Be sure and use an inline fuse close to the power source.

This will mean your radio will work with the key off, which is handy out on the trials if you step out of the Jeep for a break. If someone wants to contact you, you can still hear them.

Tom

• ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    Could someone please fill me in on the "Willys" edition or package if available on the Wrangler?
    Thanks!
    You gotta be shipping me! You don't know about the Willys package? :)

I don't know the details, but I think you could probably find out about all you need to know at Jeep.com. Swing by your friendly neighborhood Jeep dealer and pick up a brochure.

I don't think there is any more to the package than just the cosemtic features. I mean, there are no special engine, drive train, or suspension features that come with the package.

Welcome to the board! Glad you joined us, and please stick around.

Tom

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I didn't know it was still being produced, but here's a pic anyway.

...... and here's a link to the details: http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/news/jeep/willys.html?context=willy- - s_no_flash&type=img_link

...... and a link to a 'flash' version with more pics:

http://www.jeep.com/willys/index.html?context='+context+'&typ- e=newscopy
    Shame on you for leaving us hanging!!!

Spill yer guts! Tell us all about that Unlimited. Which one did you end up with?

TALK DIRTY TO US! ALL THE DETAILS!

Tom

I know what you mean, since I bought my Rubi the only time I've driven my 300zx is when I'm playing golf.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I have my CB power running from the red wire coming from the fuse box, but the red power is long enough I may run it through the firewall to the battery area. I haven't heard any real static coming from my CB, so I may not worry about it right now. Once I get to do some more wheeling, I'll check it out again.

My reception seems pretty good, but I will still want to use an SWR on it to make sure it is optimized. When I ordered the setup, I got the length of cable (18') that is supposed to be ideal for the Wrangler, and it worked flawlessly at Camp Jeep.

If you want to mount something on your cig lighter circuit, you can splice into the wiring using the nice wire tap things you can get at a hardware store. I added a y-adapter behind the dash to power my GPS (has batteries in it when I use it, so I'm not worried about when I shut power off). This leaves me an extra plug behind the dash if I need it AND I can still plug something into the Cig lighter if I need to (don't smoke either).

-Paul