Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    Tom,

I have a CB coming in the mail. Would you be willing to use that digital camera of yours and snap a picture of the power connection you used for your CB? The last time I played around with this sort of stuff was when I was a teenager, which was a long time ago. It would be very helpful if I had a something visual to illustrate the proper connection.

After I have decided where and how I will set the CB up I will take it somewhere to have it tuned. I have no idea what an “SWR” is, no less how to use it. Although, if an “SWR” does not cost too much, and are they not too difficult to use, I would be willing to learn.

Thanks,

Glen
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I've tried to find SWR's at Radio Shack, but are aroudn 30.00. For a one time use, that didn't make sense. You may be able to take it to an offroad or trucker shop and they may have the equipment and charge a few bucks to install it.

Which CB did ya get? I LOVE the compactness of the Cobra 75WXST and the fact that I could unhook the guts (handset) of it and secure it with me when not in my soft top. I also couldn't see where I'd mount a regular CB unless I got some type of overhead bracket. I like it when the top is off and nothing is in the way (except the cage on the sides). I still want to put in a heavy duty sport cage on the front though. :)

I may be able to get some pics of where I wired mine in if you want. Tom is probably right in mounting it closer to the battery, but I think as long as your power is away from the ignition coils and starter circuits, the sound will be pretty quiet.

-Paul
    Paul,

Sure thing…I will accept any assistance offered.

I picked up a COBRA 18 WX ST off of E-Bay (it looks clean…I hoes it works). I looked at the Cobra 75WXST but I could not justify the cost for the amount of use I will get out it. At least not right now (going to Maui with the family in November).

I have decided to go with the mounting system from Arizona Rocky Road (http://www.arizonarockyroad.com). I was looking for a system that I could mount other things on to besides a CB, and that could be easily removed when I was not using it. In addition I like the antenna-mounting bracket as well (and everything is mounted without drilling holes). Plus I wanted to mount the CB where I could easily see it without looking down. I remember, when growing up we mounted the CB differently in the various vehicles my family owned. From what I remembered the CB mounted it the van was overhead and easily accessed. The Brazier had a removable top so the CB was mounted under the dash and required us to look down, taking our eyes off the road/trail. Did not like that as much as the way we had it mounted in the van. The Cobra 75WXST looks to be better solution to my safety concerns, but I would have to wait a while to buy it, plus could not pass up of the deal on the COBRA 18 WX ST.

Thanks,

Glen
    My antenna would be sticking WAY above the roofline. :) I have the 4' Firestik II. I may have to add that. :) I have drilled a few holes on my tireholder to fit my current setup, but I'm not opposed to going with something a bit easier (I just have to move the quick disconnect setup from the old to the new).

-Paul
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Is there trouble with the software again? I have to sign in every time I visit the site, even though I check the "remember me" box.

Terry
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm getting that too. It happened to me once before and it went away in short order. I'll keep an eye on it.

tidester, host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Are you clicking the "Sign Out" button when you leave Town Hall? That turns off the "remember me" feature.

Several other members are having trouble with this issue and it's been reported.

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't know about Wheels but I didn't use the "sign out" button in either case.

tidester, host
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    and I am NOT hitting the sign out thing.

Heck, it even welcomes me on the home page, but then it makes me sign in for Town Hall.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Will get your pic for you tonight after work.

Tom

• wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Not using "sign out"

T.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Not signing out or doing anything different than I ever have. First time I've ever had this problem.
    I haven't messed with CB radios in many years, but it used to be (may still be) that the antenna had to be matched to the radio. It could be moved slightly up and down and the SWR meter would measure how it was matching up to the radio. I'm no expert, but the way it was explained to me, there is a certain amount of signal (or interference) that is transmitted back to the radio by the antenna. If the amount is too high it can damage the radio.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I went to the dealer last night the sales guy said he was in training all day and was about to go home. I said ok, well im going to go as well. Come to find out i had left my key to the steering wheel lock at home. I asked if i could drive another jeep as i had a blue hardtop. They threw me the keys to a grey soft top and even put the top down for me. Ive driven it for about 200 miles since last night. They are now saying that i can have $5,000 off sticker and they will still swap my tires for free even if i dont trade in my grand cherokee and locate the color i want. This is crazy i guess they are having a tough time selling auto's as ive never ever had this experience. So basically i can get the one im driving which has a sticker of $25,850 for $20,850 plus TTL...so about $22,200 it is a deal by all means...
    You are NOT gonna pass that up, are ya????

DO IT!

That's a fantastic deal, if I EVER heard one!

Tom

Word from our IT person is that the cookies are jumbled. I wonder if Tom had them under his seat on his last gulch run? A fix is being worked on.

Meanwhile, apologies for the log in issues.

Steve, Host
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    its a Cobra 75----

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jeff62301/album?.dir=/c187&.src- - - =ph&.tok=phMt0yBBOS5wa4NU

here are some pics that might help someone else. The CB is in, but can't test it out, I just ordered an antenna, mount and coax from Rick at Arizona Rocky Road. I'm going to mount it on the passenger side front window mount, thats where he said he has his.

I never could find the wires that someone mentioned behind the glove box, but I did find a website that described how to disassemble the dash. (well not the entire dash) to put in a new stereo. I spliced into the cigarette lighter wires.

It took alot longer to figure out where I wanted to mount it and where I could splice in, than to install and reassemble.

jeff

I put in a description on each picture explaining what i was doing, you need to use slide show or open each picture to see it. I'll hire out my CB install services for a couple beers and a ride in your jeep.
    I don't know,, you might want see if they will throw in a lifetime supply of shoelaces too.

That sounds like a great deal. Better than I did.

jeff
    OK, Here's your pictures. One to show the location of the "power distribution box," and one to show the detail of where the hot wire for the CB is hooked up.

Notice the inline fuse very close to the end of the hot wire.

Also, remember that with this set up, there is power to the radio any time the radio is turned on, even if the ignition is off. So, you have to be sure to remember to turn off the radio when you are through with it.

Tom

• mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    Jiminy Christmas! If you don't buy it at that price, I will personally come find you and swat you on the back of the head! ;-) The best I could do on my Unlimited (softtop, cruise, 7 speaker, mats) was 24,200 before TTL, and this was in a market that Unlimiteds don't seem to sell very well in. Go for it my friend, you won't be sorry!

Marcus
    History Channel

Modern Marvels
    4 x 4

The history of four-wheel drive vehicles includes their use by the military; in off-road competitions; and by police and firefighters. (2002)

Saturday 9/25/2004 1:00 AM, 1 hr

Might be good, might not,, i've got it set to record. I've got a card in my computer it works like TIVO. Love it, but not as much as my jeep.

jeff
  • zukeeperzukeeper Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,
    Just installed a Banks Torque Tube header and Stinger exhaust kit on my 97 Wrangler Sport. As some of you may know, the stock exhaust manifold is prone to cracking, mine was broken in two places. I took the opportunity to do a bit of upgrading to my Jeep.

Here are my observations on installation and performance:

Installation was truly bolt on, everything fit perfectly without fuss. Didn't have the tool to remove the fuel line from the injector rail so I just laid the intake manifold across the top of the engine out of the way, bolted on the new header and reinstalled the intake.

The muffler removal, however, wasn't a walk in the park (drive in the woods?). After an hour and a half of prying, twisting, hammering and cussing I resigned myself to taking it to a muffler shop to have it loosened. The muffler guy cut away most of the muffler inlet pipe, leaving just enough to keep it in place until I got home (less than 10 miles). Turns out that the inlet pipe is crimped and won't simply slide off the catalytic converter. After I got home I cut the tailpipe off with a grinder. Installing the Banks Monster muffler (polished stainless, very pretty) and the stainless tailpipe was as simple as sliding everything into place and tightening the clamps.

Performance impressions: This is all seat of the pants observations, but it does seem that there is a bit more bottom end torque and highway speeds are achieved a little more quickly. Throttle response is improved, too. The exhaust note is deeper, more resonant but may be a bit loud for some people. However, at 60mph with a soft top, wind noise drowns out the exhaust sound.

Workmanship of the parts is very good. All the bends are smooth, welds are even (but unpolished on the otherwise flawless muffler), and as I mentioned earlier everything fits without fuss.
    All parts are stainless steel. I ordered direct from Gale Banks Engineering. When I asked about the lower prices on the the web, the salesman said that those systems were probably the previous kits that included the Dynaflow muffler instead of the Monster muffler. Total price was just under $800 including shipping. However, if you can't wait the 10 days for UPS ground, might as well spring for fast delivery (I wish that I had).

Jeep info: 97 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 5spd manual, soft top, 2.5 inch suspension lift, 235x75R15 Michelin XC-LT4 for street use, 31x10.50 Goodyear MT for off-road, Ramsey 8000lb winch on heavy winch bumper and rock side rails.
    So do I...Even though it is welcoming me by name on the top.

Glen
    Thanks Tom,

It looks simple enough. Where did you ground it?

I went ahead and saved your pictures on my hard drive for reference when I install the CB (which arrived today...I hope it works, it looks in great shape). I will probably order all the mounting stuff and the antenna after I get back from my vacation).

Glen
    I have an overhead CB rack, and I grounded it using one of the screws that hold the front end of the rack onto the windshield frame.

Good luck on your install.

Tom

Welcome, and thanks for the write up.

Tom

• ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    Thanks for the information. As you indicated, it is pure cosmetic. I WAS HOPING that there was more of a design change so that it looked more like the traditional '49-'51 Willys that I owned about 15 years ago and wished I had never parted with... OH how smart/stupid we get in our older years!
    It was the craziest thing. The guy i had been dealing with since wednesday that had my figures and discounts i did not see yesterday and today. So i told one of the sales people i was working with this guy and all i needed to do was pick a color. They tell me that he called and quit today, hmmm. So i tell them about the the money off and i decided not to trade in my GC and I wanted to do a 36 month lease instead of a purchase. She comes back and says the deal was based on me trading in my GC and a lease payment would be the same as a purchase payment. This is not what i had been told as i have posted here, and a lease payment should be figured on the $20,500 but they wanted to figure the lease at $25,500 MSRP, which is not correct from previous lease experience. I could tell she really did not want to make a deal so i just left. I called the guy i had been working with and he said he quit after closing on his house and could not help me.....I guess it was too good to be true.....
    that stinks!!

jeff

i'm assuming nothing had been written down?? by the guy that quoted you the price?
  • zukeeperzukeeper Member Posts: 9
    I'm curious as to where and how everyone with a cb mounted the antenna. I made an L-bracket out of stainless steel that mounts between the left taillight and the body (saw one on a website but didn't want to pay the $40 for it).

The only drawback is that I get interference from the fuel pump. Anyone else? Perhaps an electrical filter on the pump power lead would cure the problem.
    Unless I hear this antenna mount sucks and there far better and easier ways to mount an antenna I will be going with the Arizona Rocky Road mount. http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/pages/1/index.htm.

Glen
    Glen,

I hope it doesn't suck, i've got one on the way too, I'm getting the one that mounts to the windshield hinge.

jeff
    We had written down offers, however, the offer had my trade in on the sheet. When i said i did not want to trade my jeep and wanted to just out right purchase/lease the unlimited it was like i had never been there before and driven 2 unlimited the past 3 days. The guy quiting did not help the matters any with having to start over with a new sale person who wanted to make her months salary off me. Maybe they guy really got fired for making to good of a deals??? Maybe......
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I have one, and it doesn't suck.
    It's made of steel, so it's solid. It was very simple to mount. No drilling needed. It uses the bolts that hold on the rear brake light.
    99% of the mount is hidden behind the spare tire.
    Just a tiny portion of the top is visible.

The firestick mount hardware, he includes, makes putting the antenna on and off very easy.

-Dan
    Aw, Shoot! I was out of town from yesterday early AM until just now, so I have just read the bad news.

BUMMER!

Oh, well, just keep on shopping.

Tom

jefferson - it would have been a great deal - but there are still reasonable deals out there. Hopefully you'll be able to find one soon!

I found my comfort zone for the sunrider option this weekend. This getting older isn't much fun - I don't tolerate things like I used to, so my comfort zone is smaller than I thought it would be.

We opened the sunroof Saturday in Baker - temp was about 72. Wonderful weather for driving! I really enjoyed it until we were getting into Primm, NV and burr! Thermometer said 67 and it was cold.

Then today we opened the top at a rest stop - temperature about 80. By the time we got into Baker the temp was well above 90 and too hot for my taste. So the top went back up and the A/C went on - no more problem even when the temp went (briefly) over 100.

I checked the odo against the mile markers on I-15 (thank you, Nevada) and it looked like the odo was slightly off (0.2 miles less over 10 miles). Gas mileage looks like it is going to be about 2 mpg less than my 5 speed Sport (17-19 rather than 19-20 plus). I know it is a bit soon to draw definite conclusions, but that's what it is looking like at this point. I wonder if it will get better as I put more miles on it - at what number of miles do you say that the engine is completely broken in and what you see is what you get?
    Everyone has their own opinion on it, but I feel like 10K miles oughta just about do it. Can't cite any data to justify that, just a "gut feeling."

Tom

Guess there wasn't much doubt anyway, but, if there was, it has evaporated now. The Unlimited Rubicon is shown in that brochure on pages 8 and 9, so it is definitely official: there WILL be an Unlimited Rubicon!

Tom

Hey mtngal,

I'm really happy to hear you say that AC worked great at 100+ with the soft top on. You can keep that hot weather out there though. I'm really jealous, looking forward to having a soft top / convertible by spring.

jts
    Yesterday I was late to work so I lead-footed to work (I am not suggesting racing to work when you are late is ok) at about 80 mph plus. The fuel light came on about 6, or so, miles form work. I continued on to work then drove about 35 plus miles home late last night. This morning I filled up the tank expecting to put 19 plus gallons of gas in it. To my surprise it only took 18 gallons. This is the first time I have pushed my luck that far. Usually I fill up before 300 miles (usually between 280 and 290), this time I put 328 miles on the tank. You know other car manufacture put a reasonability accurate fuel gage in their cars; why can’t Jeep?
    Are you enjoying fall weather? It's still hot here, even though the leaves are changing, with the cottonwoods starting to turn into yellow torches reaching to the sky. I'm not complaining this year - in years past I couldn't wait for winter because that would be my excuse to use the Wrangler as my daily driver. Now I don't need an excuse, and I'd like it to stay warm enough to enjoy the sunrider top for a few more weeks.
    It's getting really old having to log in every time I come here. :(

Would it help if I dumped my Edmunds cookie?

Tom

Those gray flares are REALLY ugly! You can even tell from the pictures in that 05 Wrangler brochure that I picked up how ugly those flares are going to be.

The top colors are no good on a lot of the body colors offered either. You only have your choice of medium gray or dark khaki. No more nice looking black tops! That dark khaki looks decent on some body colors, but I don't know of ANY body color that would look good with the medium gray top.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKIN'????

DC, if you are monitoring this board, PLEASE, make black flares and black tops available again!!!!

As much as I love Jeeps, I have to say that I'm not sure I could buy an 05 unless they come back with black flares and tops. Or else the dealer would have to swap flares and tops with me and get me some black ones.

Tom

I had the heat running this morning on the way to work, Western IL got down to 46 last night. I'm not complaining, it just means snow is that much closer to getting here, looking forward to that!

jeff

one of my best friends is the TV weatherman, he gets upset with me, I tell him I want to be a weatherman. I want a job that you don't get fired from; even being wrong 75% of the time.
    LOL! I know - I read a couple of weather reports, especially in the winter. If either one of them indicated a chance of snow we'd drive the Wrangler instead of the 2WD Taco. I was always worried about not being allowed to get home some evening (it sort-of happened a couple of years ago and we were in the Wrangler - took us until about 9 to get home one night and it wasn't even snowing. That was the night I wished the Wrangler had ice skates on - the roads were doing a good imitation of a hockey rink!).
    I just completed the survey that we are invited to paticipate in up at the top of the page, and it made me think back to the days when I was Jeep shopping.

Peeps, call it sucking up if you want to, but where else on the Net could anyone go and get so much useful info?

By coming to Edmunds, I was able to find out invoice price for exactly the Jeep I was looking to buy, and from discussions in Town Hall, I was able to get a good idea as to which options I should order. I was even able to learn what kind of deal in relation to invoice price that I could realistically hold out for.

I came to this message board pretty sure that I wanted a Jeep, and yet I had reservations about getting such a radically different type of vehicle for a daily driver (Thelma Jane WAS my daily driver for the first few months that I owned her). As they say, to find out about something, "ask a person that owns one." That's exactly what this message board allowed me to do.

So, thanks, Edmunds! Sure glad we have Edmunds.com to hang out at.

Tom

Town Hall has its own IT guy, John, and he busts to keep us happy. Unfortunately this recent bug is site wide and there's a different IT group that handles the registration stuff. So no eta yet :-(

Steve, Host
    that standard equipment on a Wrangler should be sunscreen. I had the top down this weekend when driving to Bakersfield (3 hour tour). I got home and my arms were beet read. It ain't no farmer tan.. it's a JEEP tan! :)

I did have my hat on though :)

-Paul
    I was sent an email going to their survey, which I very happily filled out.

I probably would not have talked to the dealership that I bought the Unlimited from if it hadn't been for Edmunds. I had no idea where that particular dealership was located, but used their "email dealership" option to send emails to a couple of dealerships (without knowing any of their locations). The first one that emailed me a decent price and details was the one I purchased from - and was I ever surprised to find that it was also the closest one to work, so I could pick it up at lunch.

Paul - I had suntan lotion with me this weekend, but ended up not having the top down enough to need it.

Another soft top question - I know that you can remove the windows without removing the top. My question is how difficult would it be to undo the back window's bar without loosening the clips on the header? It's often an annoyance to not be able to open the window like you can on a hard top when you're loading cargo in the back. And I'll probably want to remove the back seat next week and thought it would be MUCH easier if I don't have the back window on.