Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I get my rear window off w/o having to mess with the actual top at all. Just unzip the rear window then once it is done, you kinda wiggle it down and out. The part that goes under the lip will come right off if you gently pull down and out. Getting it back in is reverse.

I have found it easier to do with the rear tailgate open...

-Paul
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    And since it is disappointing to go to the trouble of logging in here the way things are now and then finding no new posts...

how about you guys posting YOUR thoughts on the new gray flares and the top color choices being only medium gray or dark khaki?????

I have certainly been the most vocal about the issue, but are there others of you out there that consider this to be a very serious issue that might even influence your decision to buy an 05 Wrangler? Or, is the Old Tomster just over-reacting in your opinion?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    I don't think you're over-reacting at all. Part of the reason I got serious when I did was because I really wanted red with black flares and top. It's just kind of ironic that the Jeep I got was a Columbia Edition with Graphite (gray) flares. But they are painted gray with a nice metal flake so they're not the ones I was avoiding.

Then again, maybe it was just an excuse to pull the trigger. We'll never know for sure...

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    Over the winter, I was going to shop around and try to order an '05 but have decided on not doing so with the gray flares.

In '04, for the SE, X, Sport there was one flare color; black. Now for '05 there are two colors, depending on interior. Khaki, which I don't see much of and medium gray, which few seem to want or think matches.

It would be my hope that when '05 production consumes the initial order of gray flares (and tops) that they go back to black. I will then reconsider ordering a new Flame Red Wrangler.
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    Tom,

I agree the black is better than the gray. However, I think I have not been vocal about it is because I have the black and the gray will not effect me. By the time I am in the market for a new Jeep I think (hope) they will go back to the black, or the Wrangler will be redesign entirely and have painted fenders and color matching tops.

I also believe anyone who does not like the color change should voice their opinion loud and clear so DC will know their design change sucks and should be revisited, or they may not go away from the gray by the time I am in the market for a new Jeep.

Glen
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I get most Jeep stuff, but I really don't get the gray flares.

What are they thinking? Body color.....great. Black..... fine. Khaki..... maybe, depending on the body color. Gray..... ewww! Looks like they're either faded, unpainted, or in primer.

Like I said, what are they thinking?????

:--(
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    You bet it did! I really like the electric green, but thought that grey would be terrible on it. So I got the last soft top green Unlimited in SoCal now, rather than waiting for the 05's.

To be fair, I thought the grey with white wasn't too bad. I think I might be neutral with the black - while I like the monochrome look of all black, the (now) grey (faded) flares on my Noble Black Steed don't look too bad color-wise (though I'm going to do something about returning them to black eventually). With a grey top it might have an OK two-tone look. The photos I saw of the other colors with grey were horrible.

Khaki would be nice with some colors - I always liked the dark green with brown top/interior they used to have.
    Steve? Tidester?

Is there some way that we can get word to DC that we want our black flares and tops back? I know we could individually contact DC, but how could we as a group? Wouldn't it be a little more effective that way?

I will love Jeep Wranglers until the day I die, or until they design the "Jeep" out of them. The issue at hand is merely cosmetic, but looks are VERY important to most people. I would have to plan on having my top and flares painted or somehow replaced with black ones, if I were to buy an 05.

Tom

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think you just did :-)

Most manufacturers skim the various forums - BMW and Subaru even have employees posting on Town Hall.

Otherwise, try the contact link at Jeep I guess.

Steve, Host
  • boatmanzboatmanz Member Posts: 1
    hi, i need to decide how important limited slip is for a jeep x model or sport ,used one to two years old, that may go off road in minor muddy fields /slushie snowie roads and boat ramps. a friend is pushing me into limited slip saying its a must, not to be a full time off road toy, a daily driver. never had a four wheeler always wanted one! thanks in advance.
    Welcome! Good luck in finding a Jeep.

Limited slip is good, by all accounts I have heard and according to the experience of some of my Jeep buds.

Limited slip behaves very well on the pavement and can give you some good traction in snow and mud.

A full locker is better for the trails, but for the type of use the Jeep will see in your case, limited slip (called Tracloc in Wranglers) is a good thing to have.

Tom

Just my personal opinion - I don't think the limited slip is that big of a deal in slush, might be useful in mud (depends on the type of mud) and could be very useful on a wet boat ramp (though I don't have any experience and that is just a guess). I don't think I'd make it a deal breaker for an otherwise acceptable vehicle, but if there are 2 that are essentially the same, get the one with the limited slip.

The only time I had a real problem, the limited slip didn't make a difference - I got high centered on wet, packed snow under the frame. As soon as I dug the snow out from under the frame I could move back into my driveway - the snow was well above my bumper. The only thing that might have helped would have been a true locker, and even that is debatable.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I agree 110% with Tom and the rest of you. The Grey flares are horrible.

If it was to combat the sun-fade issue, please don't. I'd personally rather have faded black flares that I could shine back to black or buy replacements.

DC, if you're listening, this is another vote for no grey flares.

-Dan
    There's no downside to a Trac Lok LSD for the use you envisage. On a used vehicle it won't cost any extra. It's invisible on the road and can be very helpful off-road.

If you have it and never use its capabilities, you've lost nothing. However, if you don't have it and you do need it........................

;--)
    We bought our Unlimited 10 days ago. And today we get something in the mail from Jeep. It was a letter saying thanks for attending Camp Jeep, and a coupon for $500 off (on top of any other rebates) any Jeep vehicle! If only we had dithered for another 2 weeks! Urrrr!

I guess I shouldn't be too unhappy - perhaps they would have sold the green one I wanted and I still really like it.
    If I were you, I wouldn't give up so soon. I would do some checking around to see if maybe they would honor that rebate offer on your current Jeep. You DID buy it AFTER Camp Jeep, right?

Hey, if nothing else, maybe they will give you $500 worth of parts or service credit at the dealership.

Tom

I think I'm going to call the Unlimited "g.g." (gigi), which stands for Green Giant (or Green Glob if you are my other half). She IS bigger than my Noble Black Steed and she is green. I like the Green Machine but she's the wrong shade of green.
    Are you going to check on getting that $500 rebate? I would definitely give it a shot, if I were you. Can't hurt to try, can it?

Tom

• jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I like it!!

jeff
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    Read the fine print on the coupon and any accompanying letter. There should be effective dates on the coupon and some form of issue date on any letter.

Somewhere it probably says not applicable to prior sales, but if yours falls within the effective dates on the coupon or after the date the letter was written, you probably stand a good chance to qualify.

After all, you did attend Camp Jeep and you did buy one after you attended. They owe you some consideration in my book.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Well, I finally made the move. After a dozen dealers, many questions and constant hunting, I finally purchased a Jeep. Could not find what I was looking for in Connecticut( red Sport, 03,04) and gave up the search due to a scheduled vacation to Cape Cod. Reading the local paper at the Cape, there it was. Well almost. I saw an ad for a red Freedon Edition at a Jeep dealership near the Cape. I'm not usually interested in "special editions" of anything but the ad looked interesting. Turns out that it was previously owned by one of the female managers at the dealership. Low key dealership, no pressure. So I saw the Jeep (made my wife crazy) talked at length to the previous owner. 10000 pampered miles,solid black interior, 5 speed and red, red, red with both tops. Hardtop on at present. I like the solid color. My last Jeep was solid olive drab, so I guess its just a preference. I can always change to black flares if I get bored (douttful). Pick it up tomarrow and goodbye to the boring Sebring convertable. No offence to anyone. Nice car-just boring. Very excited and can't wait to take off the special edition decals. Also, not to sure about the chrome wheels but that all changeable. Well, I'm Fat City. Hope all goes well tomarrow. Thanks to anyone who responded to my questions. I'm on the road again!!!!!!!!!!!!
    John:

The Freedom Edition has color-keyed flares, right? If they are painted red to match the body, I'm sure they look fine. The Sahara models have always had color-keyed flares, and they look good.

It's those "medium gray" flares that so many of us have expressed our extreme dislike for. They are not painted, and they just look awful. Actually, they look like they are WAITING to be painted.

So, your Jeep is an 04 Freedom with 10K miles on it? COOL! CONGRATULATIONS! I know you are gonna have a ball with it! Keep us posted, John!

PICS! PICS!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Congratulations!!! Welcome to the Red Jeep Club!! Mine is a Red Columbia Edition which is basically an X with different color seats, a silver bezel on the dash, graphite flares, matching graphite wheels and fog lights. What makes a Freedom edition different?

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    Good to hear from you. Thanks for your past advice to do "keyword" for info. It helped alot. I agree per the grey flares. I have seem them. Terrible!!! I can't believe they did not poll current Jeep owners or just take a good look at how they take away from the flow of what makes the eyes feel good. Grey and red? Grey and white? Grey and Green? It might work with silver but thats still a stretch. A big stretch. Yes, the Freedom Edition has color-keyed flares . I had to actually feel them-they match so well. The Freedom is an '03. Still learning about the model. A built up X from what I understand.Has the center console. She (the previous owner) added a Jeep side step and a black door entry guard. The interior is the solid black vinal, which I like. I have never been to crazy about the Jeep print they use for their cloth seats. Personal choice. Some folks I spoke to about the '03 Freedom commented that the auto is not as quick as the "04.Perhaps a different transmission for that year? I don"t know. I got the 5 speed. Also, the Freedom I am getting is fully carpeted. That surprised me but I'll take it. I liked the dealership. When I took it for a ride, I asked if I could do all road surfaces or is it a 5 min. series of right turns? The sales woman said that the Jeep had a half a tank of gas and I could use it all and go wherever I wanted.Fifty miles down the road I'm sure she regretted the offer. But even she had fun. I used the gas , was more than pleased and hopefully at $18,400 did OK. Got the best of all trade-in offers at "many" dealers . Bad time to trade a convertable.Hopefully a good time to buy-end of month. I'll hug it tomarrow. Now I have a fishing partner-with 6 cylinders for bait. Go Easy, John
    Thanks for the welcome. Most of the difference is in the email to Tsjay. It also has Jeep chrome wheels. Still trying to decide about the chrome. So far so good. Some decals that will go and thats it. But very Red with the flares.I like the dash on the Columbia, and the seats. Talked to the owner of one and he loved it. How do you like the graphite flares? Are they a gun metal color or brighter? Do you have a rack for the hang glider? Go Easy, John
    ..............but this black one shows the wheels, which are the main external difference.

WRANGLER FREEDOM

As the legendary Jeep vehicle, Wrangler continues to deliver a one-of-a-kind feeling of fun, freedom and adventure. Building on that reputation, the Freedom Edition of the 2003 Jeep Wrangler is distinguished by body colored fender flares, a soft-top with full metal doors, fog lamps and tow hooks. Outlined white letter P225/75R15 Goodyear all-terrain tires mount on 15-inch chrome wheels.

Inside, the Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition comes with air conditioning, Sentry Key® theft-deterrent system, easy access Fold-and-Tumble™ rear seat and a choice of Dark Slate Gray vinyl or cloth seating.

Under the hood is the legendary 4.0-liter Power Tech I-6 engine pumping out 190 horsepower (142 kW) at 4,600 rpm, and 235 lb.-ft (319 Nm) of torque at 3,200 rpm with a five-speed manual transmission. Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition features the Command-Trac® part-time four-wheel drive system.

The entire Freedom Edition Jeep line will be available in red, silver, blue and black exterior colors. In addition, the Jeep Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition will also be available in Graphite Metallic.

Courtesy of: http://jeepin.com/news/freedom/index.asp
    I was impressed, they called just to see that everything was ok, and ask if I had any questions. they also wanted to check to see that their staff was well trained. they also invited me to a sort of open house they have at the end of every month for all the people they sell vehicles to, to get acquanted with the dealership. its 2 hours away, in the middle of the week, so i passed on that, but they said if I was ever over that way at the end of the month to stop in.

I really never expected the service and follow up they have already given me and, they know their jeeps.

jeff
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    I like to mount an ag-style utility light to my back bumper to supplement the weak reverse lights. Any suggestions for how to safely (and as easily as possible!) wire something like this so it turns on when the factory lights turn on? Thanks!

Marcus
    Hold on, are you SURE you would want that big light to come on automatically when you go into reverse? If you are in town, couldn't that be a problem? Looks like it would be better to have a switch for it on the dash???

Tom

• mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    Tom,

Guess I'm not really sure why it would be a problem...I'm only thinking of a light somewhere in the range of 35-55 watts (no brighter than a common fog light). I guess I didn't think it would be all that big; I'm thinking roughly 5-6 inches in diameter. I'm open to input-what problems do foresee that I'm not thinking of? Thanks for the help!

Marcus
    Just thought it might blind someone behind you in traffic, like if you were parallel parking or whatever. I guess I thought you were talking about a much brighter light.

Might not be a problem at all.

Tom

Thanks. I appreciate the pic and info. John
    Whether you want the more powerful lights to work together with, or independently of, your existing reversing lights, make sure you use a relay. Use a heavy gauge wire for the power and ground, and make sure to fuse the power wire close to the point it connects to positive supply. The relay can then be triggered either by your reverse light circuit, or an independent switch.

If you just connect the lights in parallel with the existing reversing lights you'll blow fuses........... or worse, you'll melt the wiring loom and have an interesting pyrotechnic display to boot!

;--)
    You're welcome.

:--)
    I think the Columbia Flares are a little darker than gunmetal. Their painted with a nice metal flake. No rack yet. Still refining my list of accessories. Will probably go with a Conga Cage.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    if you use a light in that is similar in electrical draw to trailer lights, could you hook it into a regular trailer wiring harness.

jeff

that would also allow it to be easily unplugged when not needed.
    Check out the site here.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/hirelisy.html

-Paul
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    The lead manager of new cars called me on monday to apologize for all the confusion. He said the guy i was dealing with had quit on friday and they had found my number on my offer sheet. They offered me $4,500 but can not do the military discount on the unlimited, the only jeep product not allowing this discount??? wonder why...

Anyway, they only had 6 soft tops left in 2 colors, and they were not my first or second choice. To obtain a different color would cost me $850 due to dealer hold back. Therefore, I have decided to wait until next year as i did not want to settle on a color, i want what i want. :-)

I was able to see the 05' unlimited and i like the fender flares matching the paint. I did see the new grey hardtop on a white 05' and imo it did not look as good as the black. Now the 05's still had a black soft top and is what i would get anyway.

I know i would regret buying now even with a excellent deal as i really want the Unlimited Rubicon soft top and will wait until next year. Yes its hard to do as i SEE EVERY WRANGLER on the road, LOL, seemed everyone had their top down yesterday.....Oh i was offered $301/month 36 month lease which was a good price, but then i could not do mods to a vehicle that is not mine. Regards, Jeff
    Man, a RUBICON Unlimited would be worth the wait! GO FOR IT!

Tom

Don't buy something you don't want just because the price was right.

Hold out for what you want and know you will enjoy!

jeff
    I don't think they want your business (too good of a deal? - sounds like they would have lost money).

I bought my Unlimited about 2 weeks ago and I got the military discount, no problem (they did ask for documentation). It sounds like they don't want to work with you that much.

And since you really want the Rubicon Unlimited, then you should definitely wait and get that. There is nothing worse than settling for a car you don't really want or like - I did it and it only took a couple of months to go from "oh, well..." to "Yuck" to "I hate it, when can I get rid of it?"

And each time you see a Wrangler with the top down, just think that in a couple of months that will be YOU! And your vehicle is worth waiting for.
    Cat got everyone's fingers?

Tom

Postings are down or nonexistant on all the Town Hall boards I regularly check on. I'm guessing that the logon issue bears some part of the blame.
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    I have to go through the log in process every time...even when web site is working properly.
    I've noticed the lack of postings also - this computer glitch is definitely having an effect on my Edmunds addiction.

I've talked to the Camp Jeep and the dealership and the dealership said they would try to work something out. We'll see how it goes. I read the back and I'm not sure I really have a leg to stand on - they are clear that it is supposed to be reflected in the contract, but I'll try and see what happens.

I'm still happy with my Unlimited - the $500 would just be a nice addition.
    an extra $500 buys new toys for GiGi.

jts

Hope GiGi gets what she wants...
    in the mail yesterday. ;) I'd love to be able to buy some stuff for Kermit!

A TJ in our parking lot at work as a 3-4" Procomp lift, Warn front/rear bumpers and tire carrier and a Warn xd8000i winch... nice. ;)

-Paul
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Hey all. I've been gone for a couple months, the business has really been taking off. Did I miss anything? I sure am loving this fall weather now that the hurricanes are past, no doors no top no rain no humidity...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Rumor is that a fix failed, so no go until Monday now at the earliest.

<sigh>

Hey Ducks - got ash?

Yeah, wrong coast I guess, but what other Ducks are there?

Steve, Host