Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    The final list was:

Front Tow Hooks
    Congo Cage w/Utility Cross Bars
    Locking Lug Nuts
    Recovery Strap
    Currie EX-Tire Deflator
    Receiver Tow Hook
    Torx Socket Set
    2" Receiver Hitch & Bike Rack Combo

According to Quadratec everything should be waiting for me tonight except the Congo Cage which is being drop shipped from the manufacturer and the front tow hooks which are back ordered.

It's like Christmas in October.

Also, I rode to work with the top down yesterday and it was REALLY COLD. My face hurt by the time I got to my office. It seems that 50 degrees sort of takes the fun out it for me. My wife is surprised I'm not wearing a parka and a ski mask just so I can keep the top down.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Someone awhile back said they were going to Rhino-line their Wrangler. I was wondering if they did it and what the results were.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Could be me you are thinkin' about.

I intended to have that done, but our TV died, so I had to spend the money for a replacement TV instead of Rhino-lining.

I still plan to have that done sooner or later.

Heck, I had the seat belts out and one of the two backseat brackets out when the TV died. The guy was gonna charge about $200 more if he had to take the seat belts and the other stuff out himself. I was going to have to take the center console and the passenger seat out also. I was allowed to have just the driver seat and nothing else that he would have to remove.

I've forgotten the exact price he gave me, but I THINK it was around $550. You might find my post about it, if you do a search.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    -Paul
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Even on the Sunny days, it's been too cold (for me) to put the top down. Me thinks it's time to put the hard top back on! If we get an unusually warm day, I can always take the doors off :)

I'm still really tempted to buy the hard top liner that's on ebay. Haven't found any reviews on it though.

-Dan
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    are you going to wire it for pulling a trailer too? if so, hoppy's wiring kit is easy to install.

jeff
    It is just plain amazing how Thelma Jane has held up for nearly four years and 50K miles, considering the number of miles and the number of hours she has spent on the trails. No other vehicle would take the punishment she has experienced without some parts failing.

You guys know from the pictures of my wheelin' that I'm not just out there on level ground driving through an occasional mud puddle.

As I have said in prior posts, there are people who do much more radical stuff than I do, but they would have highly modified Jeeps and have to make repairs once in a while (sometimes, very often). Most of these guys would have Jeeps dedicated to trail duty only and would trailer them to the off road area.

What I am so proud of, and what I find to be so amazing, is that Thelma Jane is still very close to stock, but she still does some pretty crazy stuff off road and is still very reliable transportation on the highway.

I have replaced one bent front upper control arm, and that is the only part that has been replaced! I have replaced some parts, like the factory springs and shocks, as part of Thelma's upgrading, but no original parts were replaced because they were broken, other than that control arm.

Jeeps are AMAZING! Yeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwww!!!!!!

Tom

I'm thinking about getting a trailer in the spring. One that I can use to haul mulch and take stuff to the dump. It will also need to be big enough to trailer the motorcycle I plan to get as my midlife crisis vehicle. Some people think my Jeep is it but I don't think I've quite reached midlife yet.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    It is either too cold or too hot, depending on where I am at any particular time in the day. It can be in the 60s at home and 90s near work - which are both outside my comfort range. Oh well...

I've definitely noticed how hard the drip rails are to budge when the temp is below 70. The back window is easy to lift up by unzipping it and removing the back bar as long as it is warm enough - otherwise, just unzip it and leave the bar in place.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Yes, I agree with the sentiment. The Wrangler is overbuilt for daily highway driving and will last virtually indefinitely if properly serviced.

Sand, mud, salt, and neglect are probably the biggest enemies. Heavy impacts offroad won't do much good, but flexing the suspension won't usually do any harm except to shorten the life of the rubber bushings. As you know, if you do manage to damage a control arm it's a cheap any easy replacement.

One general point worth making is that the stock suspension components generally work very well. If you do damage something, it's normally more economical in terms of both money and time to just renew the damaged item rather than to replace it with something stronger. Doing that usually has the effect of ensuring that something more expensive and harder to replace will break next time.
  • siennatjsiennatj Member Posts: 13
    Navigation and Alarm - Should I do it? Loaded question.

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------

I'm buying my first Jeep Wrangler tomorrow.

The dealership will do the navigation and the alarm for $1600. Do you think I can get them down some more?

The Nav looks nice and the alarm has an adjustable proximity sensor.

I'm thinking about doing it, I can add it to my Jeep's total price, which I'm getting a great deal on.

I wasn't thinking about the NAV unit before, the plan was to upgrade the head unit, front and rear speakers, and add an amp. I was going to try and use the factory sub, or maybe sometime down the road upgrade it.

My question is, should I take their offer? I doubt the Nav has preouts, which would be great for an external amp. I have never liked the idea of using a lineout converter or speaker level inputs on an amp. Is anyone running this setup? I plan on going with some decent speakers, $400-$600 total for the two pairs (5 1/4 and 6 1/2) and probably a strong JL amp (75WRMS x 4). Obviously I want speakers that can handle this.

I'm just worried about not having RCA outputs on the unit will make it sound crappy. Is there a lot of interference? Usually exposed wire on an aftermarket installs allows a lot of radiowave interference (like from a cell phone).

Thank you...
    Whoa! What language were you talking? :)

I'm no audiophile or electronics nut, and it SHOWS, so I have no clue as to what you are talking about.

What I do understand is that you are getting a new Jeep, and that is why I am posting...

CONGRATULATIONS! You said it will be your first Wrangler, so right now you only THINK you know how much fun it will be. Once you have that puppy, you will see that it is a hundred times more fun that you imagined.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

Please, post pics, and tell us all the details about the Jeep. I'm gonna guess it's sienna color? :) I guess it must be an 04? Did they keep sienna for 05? I didn't know they still had it in 04, but I do really like that color.

Tom

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Congrats on the new Jeep siennatj!!!

For what the dealer quoted you, you definitely have options. If you're set on the Nav head unit, I think the price is anywhere between $1000-1200, so $1600 for that plus an alarm isn't too bad. Would they let you keep the old head unit? They are worth some money on ebay. I sold my factory CD deck for $85 to defer some of the costs of my audio upgrades.

There are some really nice color nav GPS units out now for the same or less money as the factory nav. Maybe Paul will chime in, I think he has some experience with them. I have a small handheld eTrex I use in the Jeep, hiking and kayaking. Doesn't have mapping, but I can use it with a laptop or PDA on road trips where I want map or topo data. Lots of wires in my setup though, so I understand the desire for an all-in unit.

None of the factory head units have pre out, so you'll be stuck using a line converter, negating some of the benefit from a decent amp and speakers.

I've replaced everything but the stock sub enclosure in my Jeep and am pleased with the sound. Given the noisy environment of the TJ, there is only so much you can do before you fall far down the slipery slope. Currently running a Pioneer head unit with XM radio and AUX input (for iPod or laptop). Head unit is driving Boston NX57 in the front and NX67 in the soundbar. I'm taking the sub out from the head unit to an Alpine amp (mounted under the steering wheel) driving a JL6W0 sub I installed in the factory sub enclosure. I have pics of my sub install if you're interested. Feel free to drop me a line off the board (email in profile) if you have any specific questions or want to see pictures.

-twylie
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think you ought to address those questions on the board - it's so much fun making Tom's head spin, LOL.

Steve, Host
    I'm planning on getting the Alpine head that includes the XM tuner so I won't have to have a separate tuner or Roady anywhere. I'm not a true audiophile so I'm happy enough with the 7 speaker upgrade option Jeep offers. I'm going with an aftermarket GPS device for a couple of reasons.

First, I saw the nav device that Jeep offers at Camp Jeep. The database didn't include my (unincorporated) "town" much less my street, so I wasn't impressed with the map set they offer. Second, I really want something that can map and that I can use for day hiking, so I'm not looking (seriously) at any car-based system.

The really nice car-based systems are somewhere between $1000-1500 so your dealer is in the ballpark. I'm thinking of a couple of units that will be around $600 and then I'll buy the topo maps to add to the mapset that comes with the units. I'm leaning toward a color Magellan system rather than the Garmin. The Garmins seem to have more of the bells and whistles but Magellan offers better maps.
    Hey something I may be able to help with.

In my opinion, spending 1600 for a nav unit that is tied/bolted to your vehicle is of limited value. I have a Magellan Meridian Platinum (alas not color) handheld GPS with 256 MB memory.

I attached it to my TJ by using the catchall area on top of the dash. I screwed in a RAM Mount that keeps the unit secure in even the roughest stuff. I ran power to it behind the dash to make it pretty. I keep batteries in it so if I get to a spot I want/need to investigate on foot (read GEOCACHING), I can use the same unit. If I have an in-car unit, I don't have that flexibility. A handheld option also lets you choose which model you want as well as options for uploading/downloading trails (great for mapping trails you run). Software packages even interface to provide you abilities to enhance the system even more - something hard to find in a vehicle-only system.

Mtngal pointed it out between Garmin and Magellan. Also, I think Magellan screens are a bit bigger and easier to read while driving - so Magellan made more sense to me. They float too! :) Garmin's don't. Check out gpscity.com for ALL kinds of GPS's and GPS accessories.

As for head units, I'm not a fan, generally, of factory units. My BMW has XM in it, running through the factory unit using RF modulation (my wife wanted the factory look). For my TJ, I have an Alpine CDA-7983? unit. It has all the preouts I need. I have it running to 2 amps, a Kicker amp powering my MB Quart 5.25 front rounds mounted in the dash and my Kicker 6x9's in my soundbar, which was designed for 6x9 use from the get-go. The second amp is a dedicated Alpine single channel amp (700Wmax I think) powering my Kicker 8" sub, which is mounted in a dynamat lined Tuffy Security Console with sub enclosure. I have absolutely no problems hearing and feeling my sound while driving with top/doors off while on the highway. :)

My plans include either getting the new alpine unit with integrated XM or adding an XM receiver under my driver seat (option 2 would be cheaper), but I will definitely be doing the work myself.

My setup affords me the flexibility of going offroad and off vehicle easily. I did spend more on my audio options, but I know the quality of the components I got. I would hate to see somebody with an integrated unit and have problems and have to take it to the dealer for service. If my GPS dies, my Jeep is still drivable while the GPS is sent off for repair or replacement.

I personally love the handheld option and could care less about turn by turn directions spoken to me. :) That's what the passenger is for! hehe

I can try to post some pics of the installation, but I won't have a chance to do it for a while as I'm going to be out of contact for a while.

My job is taking me to different places to do different things. I can't get into specifics, but I'll be closer to Turkey Bay than I am now. :) So I guess I'll have to soothe Tom and go, once my Jeep is with me!

-Paul
    Well just got back.

I decided to do it even though aftermarket was nicer and I was conserned about adding an aftermarket amp.

Talked to a car audio installer and they said that the JL 300/4 amp that I was looking at will do fine without needing a line out converter.

I got the NAV, Alarm (with adjustable proximity sensors), Extended warranty (6yr 70K miles b to b, and the base model Sahara, all for a few hundred under invoice. I could have done a little better in the negotiations for the Nav, but messed up. Oh well I still got a good deal.

Pick up the Jeep tomorrow. I'll let you know how it is. Thanks for your help... oh and yes it's a Sienna that they've had on the lot for two months short of a year. Barried in the back and not inventoried properly, so my internet search never found it. Lucky for me the dealership is a mile away and all my maintenance (plus free oil changes) can be done there.
    Is that Jeep an 04? I didn't think they offered sienna in 04?

Tom

I checked the 04 Wrangler brochure that I had picked up a while back, and sienna pearl coat was one of the colors offered. Just had forgotten about it, I guess. (I'm OLD)

It is not available on the 05s.

That's a real nice color.

Tell us more about that puppy! Tell us how ya like it after you have had a chance to drive around a little in it.

I know you are gonna LOVE it!

Tom

The sienna was very limited availability in 04. They stopped producing them before mid year. Obviously it's not around in 05, so yeah I was fotunate finding the color I've always wanted.

Been looking at a Wrangler for over three years. Had an Acura Integra, bought an S2000 (still one of my favorite $30K~ roadsters), sold the Honda (to buy a house), then traded in the Acura and got a BMW 330ci. Recently decided I needed the money from the BMW for my house (funiture, bills, etc), and now I've got my Wrangler I've always wanted for a pretty good deal.

End of the day, I paid $100 under invoice (could have gotten them maybe a little more but oh well). Sahara, almost no options (soft top), color I wanted Sienna, '04, with Nav, Proximity Alarm, Ext Warranty, 2yrs oil change free, and that's about it. $24500 out the door.

It's supposed to be warm today and tomorrow. Hope I can pick it up today.
    The sienna is a very nice color and I'm sure you'll love it for a long time. It also sounds like you got a good deal - why quibble about a hundred bucks when you got what you wanted?

Let us know what you think of the nav system. I haven't taken the plunge yet to actually buy one, though I've been researching them and will buy one soon. I'll probably do something similar to what Paul did, but with a different model (I want the color screen). On the other hand, I like the idea of the Garmin that's also a PDA.

But the XM radio comes first - the occasional static from the FM modulator drives me nuts now. Have I gotten spoiled or what?!
    I'll bet the black steed is getting jealous of GiGi with all these toys.

jeff
    You could almost say the NBS is GREEN with envy. :)

-Paul
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I think you just got that in before Tom!

;--)
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    'Til I read the by-line, I thought it was Tom.

Either way, it was a good one.

Terry
    That's true. I haven't been here very long but I've seen Tom give lots of people the business! ;-)

Next weekend my daughter and I will take the Jeep camping. I won't be going off road (at least not on purpose) but I'm looking forward to climbing hills in a vehicle that is not underpowered.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Big order with lots of fun as the end result. Enjoy yourself. Life is short. Your wife is right , the parka and a ski mask would work. If the eyes water, wear a pair of Army surplus tankers glasses. Side vision is a little impaired but stay on straight roads and you will love the ride. I rode to work that way through two winters in Connecticut in my old 49. Stop lights were very interesting. I could feel the eyes of the curious. Arrived at work very refreshed. I just had my speakers replaced in the dash and soundbar. Nothing major but rock-in-roll and old blues never sounded so good. I had four, 5 and a quarter Infinity woofer cone , edge driven, textile-dome tweeters installed. Peak music power: 135 watts.Power handling:45W RMS. Sensitivity(2.83V/lm):92dB. Frequency responce: 67Hz-21kHz. Impedance: 4 ohms. I have no idea what all of that means!!!!! It just makes me feel good in my Jeep. Go Easy, John
    LOL! You guys are great!

I do think my Noble Black Steed isn't really happy - I haven't had him out since we got GiGi. My other half took him out for a short run last weekend, but that's been about it. And he's all alone this weekend while we're off again with GiGi.

As soon as we get the Alpine XM head in GiGi I'll put the hookups for the Roady back in the NBS and perhaps get a mount for it so it doesn't float around like it is now. It actually worked pretty well to stick it in the glove box while we were on the trails during Camp Jeep, but that's a temporary thing.
    Greetings. What is the Alpine XM head? My next step is to put an Alpine receiver in to drive the speakers. Is the XM a receiver/CD player?:) I have had Alpine in other vehicles and loved it. I am looking at somthing with the detachable face for soft topping. Throw the saddle on that Noble Black Steed!! Go Easy, John
    OK, this is probably the peak weekend for leaf color, the weather is going to be really pleasant, and I have NO ONE to wheel with!!!!

I hate it when this happens!

I'll go on down to Turkey Bay and hang out around the entrance in hopes that I can find someone to hook up with. I'm batting about .500 when I do that. I got lucky about half the times that I have done that.

If nothing else, I can explore some of those 300 and 400 series roads that run throughout LBL. These are unpaved and minimally maintained roads that go back to the time when the LBL area was inhabited. They lead to farms and cemeteries, but the farm houses and out buildings were torn down when the inhabitants were evicted and LBL was created.

If you want to read a sad story, go to my website and then go to the section on "People Between the Rivers." Once in that section, click on the link to the article written by the guy whose family was evicted, David Nickell.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

Ought to be able to get some good pics today at least.

Tom

Alpine is (I think) the only company that makes a radio head with the XM tuner already built in, so you don't have to have a separate tuner placed somewhere. Paul mentioned the model number a few posts back. It did have a single CD player and a removable face.
  • clay1clay1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now in preparation for a purchase in 2006. The reason for the long wait is I'm taking an all expense paid trip to Iraq courtesy of the Marine Corps for about 14 months beginning early next year. The good thing is I will be coming back with enough money to pay in cash for my new Wrangler. I do have a few questions:

1) Does anyone know of a Wrangler diesel in the works. The only real complaint I've read from Wrangler owners is poor fuel economy and a diesel would seem to go a long way toward solving this.

2) Is the unlimited worth the extra money for the increased cargo area and improved ride. My off roading will most likely consist of rides to unimproved training areas here at Camp LeJeune and some camping so I can live with the small decrease in wheeling ability if the other pros are worth it.

I've really enjoyed reading your post and will continue to do so in anticipation of becoming a wrangler owner myself. Thanks for any responses.

Semper Fi,
    Clay
    First and foremost, thank you for your service to our country. God bless you and all service men and women. Come home safely from your deployment, Clay.

I don't know if there is anything official on a diesel for the Wrangler, but I have been hearing rumors ever since I got into Jeeps about four years ago.

You shouldn't give up much in the way of off road capability in an Unlimited vs. a Sport. The extra 10" of wheelbase will cost you a little in terms of breakover angle, so you would high center occasionally on things that a Sport would not, but that shouldn't be a biggie.

Since you are not going to do hard core wheelin', the extra room the Unlimited would afford might be more important to you than the slight loss in off road capability. They will be making an Unlimited Rubicon, you know, and that would be just plain AWESOME!

Tom

I wish you well in Iraq - God bless you all Marines - as a retired member of the US Army, any Marine has my deepest respect.

I own both a '98 Sport and an '04 Unlimited (if you've been reading for a while you've probably seen some of my comparisons). From what you have said, the Unlimited would work quite well - it doesn't sound like you'll be in any situation where the longer wheelbase would make a difference. The ride is SIGNIFICANTLY more stable in the wind, much less bouncy and quieter. And I really love the extra cargo room - it really makes a difference (like today we moved a drop leaf table in the back without any problems - just tumbled the seat forward rather than having to take it out).

Whether it is worth the extra money or not will be subjective for each person. It was for me, but then the Unlimited is our daily driver and our commute is 75 miles one way so the comfort and stability is very important for us. It is definitely more civilized than the short wheelbase Wranglers. I think that it is a good mix of extra comfort and traditional Wrangler capability.

I wouldn't hold my breath right now for a diesel Wrangler - mainly because of the problems with air pollution standards in so many states. If the diesel Liberty is well received (in other parts of the States, since it is not available in California) then they might look at putting a diesel in the Wrangler, especially if they could get an engine (and a fuel (biodiesel?) commonly available) to meet California standards.
    i did a lot of price shopping when i bought my unlimited, I love it.

yes there is some differnce in the base sticker price, but the unimited seems to have alot of standard equipment offered as upgrades on the sport. the difference in price wasn't much of a factor for me, its my main transportation (although there is a boring volvo in the driveway too) I wanted / needed something that could haul some luggage on occassion and had enough room in the backseat for friends.

jeff
    I joined and went to the Two Rivers Jeep Club meeting this morning, thought Nicole might get offroad, and / or I had arrangements to ride along with one of the other guys ( a friend of a friend )

when i got there I visited with the only person there I actually knew, he was furious, the club had a workday last weekend to roof the VFW hall where we meet, only about 5-6 people showed up, and only finished half the roof. ( he's a contractor, and was coordinating the project ), so i turned down the opportunity to trail ride and helped finish the other half the roof. this time, it was 5 of the same guys from last weekend, me and one other.

we worked from about 9 - 3 by then everyone was ready to head for their respective couches and leave the trail riding for another weekend.

jeff

i forgot what roofing does to you, i'm sore in places that i forgot existed.
    Hi All,

Thanks for the responses and the good wishes on the upcoming deployment. Actually I don't mind the deployment(except for the time away from family) as it will pay for the new Wrangler. Anyway I really enjoy what I do for a living. I've seen a lot of the world and get to do some very interesting things. Also it's nice to get up in the morning knowing you have done a little bit to make the world a better place.
          Now that I think of it y'all will be paying for the new Jeep(your taxes pay my salary after all) so if you are paying for it you may as well have as much input as you can. I'll be reading.

Semper Fi,
    Clay
    Well, good old human nature raises her ugly head, huh? Surprising how few people actually show up for a WORK DAY.

Well, you are off to a good start with your new club.

I'll bet when the work for the day was done and you drove off to go home, one of those Two Rivers guys looked at another one and asked, "Who was that masked man?" The other one, of course, answered, "Why, that was the LOAN ARRANGER."

Ta da dump, ta da dump, ta da dump, dump, dump.

:)

Tom

I really think that it is a personal preference as to which Wrangler is best - the short or long wheelbase. They are both nice. They both can go off-road very well. Just my opinion, but I think the short wheelbase has more FUN in it. The downside is that it is less stable feeling and terrible in the wind (it is often very windy on my commute). My 5 speed Sport gets about 2 mpg more than the Unlimited (all highway 19-20 vs. 17-18). This is definitely an OUCH since regular unleaded gas just went to 2.29 around here. The Unlimited is noticably quieter than the Sport, though it is still noisier than most cars. Best thing to do is test drive both of them before you head out and see if you have a preference or requirements that would rule out one.

For a daily driver my preference is definitely the Unlimited.

Minor thing - the darker grey '04 interior shows stuff on the carpet a whole lot more than the lighter '98 interior. I prefer the lighter color.
    The local dealer has an 05 Unlimited in red, and it has those medium gray flares and the medium gray top.

No way I could handle that. I would have to have the flares painted and the soft top dyed or the hard top painted. YUCK!

Tom

Hi All,

Luckily I have some time to make my decision. Who knows, the 2006's may have something that will just make the decision for me.
          Right now I am driving a '91 Miata so whichever Wrangler I get will be an upgrade as far as cargo capacity goes(Miata=no back seat and a trunk that would more accurately be called a rear access glove compartment. lol). And I can't imagine how it would be possible for any vehicle to have more wind and road noise than the Miata, so I am sure I will be happy with whichever Wrangler I decide on. I will keep the Miata as it is paid for, good on gas, and too much fun in its own way to sell.
          I'll keep lurking around on your forum. It is great to read post from a group of people who share an enthusiasm and are more concerned with supporting each other than competing. If y'all are any indication of what I can expect from other Wrangler owners then the camaraderie will be one of the major benefits of the Jeep Wrangler experience.

Semper Fi,
    Clay

p.s. mtngal- I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate all the lifers that came before me. If it wasn't for your service I wouldn't have the opportunity to do my part today.
    The good news is, yes, the spirit here in this forum is typical of the way Jeepers relate to one another. It goes far beyond the "Jeep Wave," although that is part of it.

Out on the trails, there is an unwritten, but well-understood, law that you do not leave anyone stranded. You stay with them all day or all night, if you have to. Whatever it takes, you do it.

Jeepers just walk right up to each other and start conversations when they meet in parking lots or wherever.

It's all part of that "Jeep Thing."

Tom

There is a real comraderie between Jeep owners. No one minds talking about them, what they've done to them etc. - everyone is very friendly with each other. Also, Jeep (as in Daimler-Chrysler) is continuing to expand some of the owner appreciation things - Camp Jeep and Jeep Jamborees each year. I had a great time at Camp Jeep and want to go on a Jeep Jamboree perhaps next year - how many car manufacturers do things like that (not many).

If you've had a Miata, you'll probably love having a Wrangler. They are like the Miata - LOTS of fun!

Don't hesitate to ask questions - we love offering our opinions and there are some really knowledgeable people here.
    Alot of FUN! Spent the weekend driving the dirt roads of Northern Connecticut. One problem, having a difficult time finding old dirt roads where it is not an issue to explore. Private property, etc. I have tried researching this but to no satisfaction. Any advice on publications of dirt roads in Mass and Conn from anyone. Jeepers in Vermont are lucky-many miles of all types of dirt roads. Go Easy, John
  • proc2000proc2000 Member Posts: 13
    I've had my "new" '95 YJ for about a month and a half now. Some observations:

-What a fun ride. I don't care if its basically 10 years old with almost 120K on it and bounces around like a rodeo bull.

-The "wave" thing. I've had at least a dozen "jeep waves" in the past six weeks. At first it took me by surprise, but its definetely neat.

-I've can see why they say J. (just) E. (empty) E. (every) P. (pocket). I've bought floor mats and seat covers and have procured 1 of the 3 steel wheel center caps I need. Anyone have the bolts that hold these caps on? Chrysler wants $2.60 a bolt! I've changed my own oil, which I haven't done in years, and am looking at the top sliders for the upper doors.

-I fixed the PVC to air cleaner hose with a $1 piece of rubber hose connected to the plastic one.

-I have bought a neck gaiter and a warm hat for the winter as I plan on keeping the soft top on (don't have the hard top) here in Michigan.

-Driving with the top down is fantastic, but the YJ top takes a bit to get back up.

Anyhow, thanks to all who have posted here that have given me advice either directly or via just reading your contributions. This is fun. My wife took her Liberty in for an oil change tonight and caught me looking at the Unlimited. She said, "I know you are planning on getting the new Mustang next spring, but I bet you get one of these (Unlimited)."
    Glad you are enjoying that Jeep! They are definitely FUN, huh?

Hey, now a new Unlimited doesn't sound too bad, does it? I know those new Mustangs are supposed to be nice, but, imagine how much fun that new Unlimited would be! (Think RUBICON Unlimited)

Tom

• proc2000proc2000 Member Posts: 13
    I've had my "new" '95 YJ for about a month and a half now. Some observations:

-What a fun ride. I don't care if its basically 10 years old with almost 120K on it and bounces around like a rodeo bull.

-The "wave" thing. I've had at least a dozen "jeep waves" in the past six weeks. At first it took me by surprise, but its definetely neat.

-I've can see why they say J. (just) E. (empty) E. (every) P. (pocket). I've bought floor mats and seat covers and have procured 1 of the 3 steel wheel center caps I need. Anyone have the bolts that hold these caps on? Chrysler wants $2.60 a bolt! I've changed my own oil, which I haven't done in years, and am looking at the top sliders for the upper doors.

-I fixed the PVC to air cleaner hose with a $1 piece of rubber hose connected to the plastic one.

-I have bought a neck gaiter and a warm hat for the winter as I plan on keeping the soft top on (don't have the hard top) here in Michigan.

-Driving with the top down is fantastic, but the YJ top takes a bit to get back up.

Anyhow, thanks to all who have posted here that have given me advice either directly or via just reading your contributions. This is fun. My wife took her Liberty in for an oil change tonight and caught me looking at the Unlimited. She said, "I know you are planning on getting the new Mustang next spring, but I bet you get one of these (Unlimited)."
    John

go to the local usda office, they should have soil maps books / aerial photography, you should be able to see where roads are.

you might also want to ask where you can get a plat book, it will show all the landowners, and public roads.

jeff

ps, the soil maps are free; take advantage of your what your tax dollars are paying for,, possibly on disk, our's here in forgottonia are. the plat books might cost $15.