Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• Options
    qthqth Member Posts: 25
    I check the iihs and gov. test for safety then 2011 Ford cars/trucks/SUvs are not doing good in the gov. test for front seats test, most are 3 stars except Fiesta and Taurus with 4 stars. I like Explorer but waiting for safety test from gov.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Huh??

IIHS gave the 2011 Explorer "Good" in front offset, side impact and rollover - their highest mark in all 3 tests.

NHTSA hasn't even tested it yet.
  • Options
    fawltytowers44fawltytowers44 Member Posts: 58
    Hello qth

Check the IIHS site and you will find seven Ford/Lincoln vehicles listed as "Top Safety Picks" for 2011.

Explorer, Taurus, Fiesta, Fusion, Flex, MKS, MKZ
  • Options
    Hi

I rented one for three days and put it through the paces and thought it was a great car. The one I had let you tilt about 2 1/2 inches. The controls took some getting used to though. However, it seems you have that covered and there is real problem. Sounds like you dealer needs some lessons in basic customer relations - headquarters will not be pleased with that dealer.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Thanks for posting that video. I've looked at plenty of window stickers online, and once he mentioned the bottom line number, I already knew what options it had. :blush:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Did you hear the one about how Ford is going to be the top overall seller for the month of March? :surprise:
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I understand how you feel, but any car edition this new out has break out issues, even the top line Lexus did in 2007. Edmunds says Fords have been the least trouble prone new cars in their recent long term tests. (See Ford Flex L/T 70,000 mile test). This is why I waited until 09 to buy my Lexus, and I'll wait until probably 13 to buy my next Explorer. I made that mistake once in 02, and learned a valuable lesson. But I still like my Fords.
  • Options
    actually just noticed that myself. They are really selling their cars this year.
  • Options
    I agree - they really are doing a great job at all levels. Consumer Reports rates them as the most reliable among American and European brands. Their models and innovations are also exciting.
  • Options
    I test drove an Explorer wit the sunroof today.
    When I tilted the front roof open, there didn't seem to an air gap at the back, which I found to be a bit strange.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    How do you tell which version of the MyFord Touch software is loaded and how does it get updated?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    pkc52003pkc52003 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Explorer I bought back in January. Since the winter snows have been replaced with spring rain. I notice that the rain hitting the "brow" of the roof just above the windshield seems to have NO INSULATION. When it rains it's as if you are in a "tin can". Certainly not what I expected from what is frankly otherwise a really great vehicle.

Does anyone else notice this or is it a design flaw unto my Explorer alone. As a matter of fact if you even tap on the sheet metal from outside the truck you can hear how "tinny" it sounds. I would love feedback and if the "powers to be" are monitoring this forum please either correct this flaw production wise or fix mine in particular.
  • Options
    What did you drive before you bought your Explorer?
  • Options
    denali1denali1 Member Posts: 21
    I was wondering if anyone here had driven both the Explorer and the Grand Cherokee, and if so, what are your impressions. I like both, but was hoping for some other insights.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    waltwiesewaltwiese Member Posts: 1
    I ordered mine via Truecar.com and pick it up monday. After waiting 2 months and calling the dealer 3 times they told me it was in. I went to the dealership and found it on the lot pretty dirty and all the new little plastic covers normally in place on a new car removed. It had 71 miles on it. A little sticker on the window said Ford had randomly selected it for road testing. I was bummed and suspicious the dealer had it for some time and used it for demo rides. Any comments?
  • Options
    qthqth Member Posts: 25
    Agreed. These vehicles listed good with IIHS. I wonder why they rated only 3 stars for front seats with gov. testing. Ford needs to redesign for getting better gov safety rating. I own 1 super crew F150 and 1 expedition and consider 2011 explorer. Thanks.
  • Options
    As long as it is clean when you pick it up on Monday, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    Hello Waltweise

They did this without your knowledge or prior approval. Any way you cut it, they got value from using your car; for whatever purpose doesn't matter.

When value is received, in this case by the dealer, then compensation is due, in this case to you.

They do indeed owe you something for use of the vehicle. I certainly would not trust this dealer again, or anyone else who would do the same.

If you plan on keeping this car I would be sure that it is clear to the dealer and to the regional Rep., that you are accepting this car with reservation due to not knowing how the vehicle was used or by whom and under what circumstances. This could be helpful later in the event of premature failure of any components.

If it was me, I would not accept the car at all and would seek out another vehicle at another dealer. I was in business for decades and this type of behavior is totally unacceptable in any context.

Good luck and best wishes.
  • Options
    ft44, that sounds like the best thing to do in a perfect world.
    Just my opinion, it's only 71 miles and none of us know how many were put on during the testing.
    Not only that, if WW gives up this Explorer XLT, it may be another couple of months before they get a shot at another one.
    At least in my area, the middle of the market is just about sold out, with no eta on resupply.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    is really nothing to make a big deal about. Enjoy your new Explorer. Nice truck!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I agree. Don't know about your state, but in Nevada, a car is considered "new" by the DMV if it has under 2500 miles on it. Meaning, that a Used Car dealer CANNOT sell a car with under 2500 miles. I would consider 71 miles irrelevant as well, because I believe you get warranty from that mileage point when you accept the car, thus, you'll get your full warranty value even with the extra 71 miles. Odds are, Ford put 35 miles on it for testing as per the sticker. The car may have been tested by a customer or two at the dealership who did or didn't buy a different explorer, accounting for the extra 36 miles. IMO, it's not odd, irregular, or anything to worry about. I'd take the car without reservation, as NYCCARGUY stated.
  • Options
    Hi again WW

You have seen a number of responses to your dilemma and you will of course make a decision that fits your needs. It is worth noting that the car was already "sold" when they decided to use it for whatever purposes - it was not their car anymore in any real sense. As to someone's thought that the miles may have been accumulated testing it after production before delivery - that does not happen.

Best wishes.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2011
    but in Nevada, a car is considered "new" by the DMV if it has under 2500 miles on it.

When a car is titled it's a used car at that point so a used car dealer could flip it even if it only had 71 miles. Unless NV is really weird. :shades:

My guess is that since the 2011 is in short supply, the dealer let some people test drive it. Or the owner's wife tried it out.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    At what point is a vehicle really 'sold'?
    We have all heard the stories of someone ordering a vehicle and it gets sold out from under them because it could be sold on arrival for more money to someone else.
  • Options
    IMHO, a car is sold when the papers are signed. Until then, it belongs to the dealer.

Of course if you were given a VIN number allocating that vehicle to your order, then IMHO the dealer has an ethical obligation to not let others drive it.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Go thee to the woodshed...!

You used "dealer" and "ethical" in that same sentence.
  • Options
    Hello rbr2.

The car was ordered in a specific configuration by an actual person who was given a promise of delivery by the dealer based on that order. It was not a random event. If WW placed a deposit on the vehicle, or in any other way commited to acceptance of the vehicle based on the order, then the vehicle belonged to WW from the beginning of that transaction. VIN's, paper contracts and the like are only artifacts of the transaction; the actual transaction took place at the point the commitments were made by both parties - the case is even stronger if a deposit was made and accepted.

Imagine ordering a suit cut to your measurments and having it loaned out to one or more people prior to your receiving it.
  • Options
    But....

What are the "damages" in a legal sense..?

My local Porsche dealer, Barrier, sold a 2000 C4 that was delivered to them under my name, they sold it before even the courtesy of calling me.
  • Options
    IMHO, if no VIN number was given, then the OP was promised only a vehicle in a particular configuration - not that particular vehicle.
  • Options
    Robr2

Following that logic, then there was no reason for them to say that "his" vehicle, a vehicle he had ordered, was ready for pick up. He could also state that although he agreed to pay in dollars, confederate dollars was what he had intended.

As I mentioned earlier, I was in business for many years and people who operate like the dealer in question need to lose their customers. We always changed suppliers when any of them became dishonest - that is how the market maintains a degree of policing. Their tactic also needs to be reported to Ford Inc.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What you say is true. I didn't say what he did was right.

Techically it's still the dealers car though until the papers are signed. Emotionally it's the OP's car.
  • Options
    The dealer exercised power that he did not have the moral right to exercise - he engaged in a violation of moral and ethical standards. Ethically and morally it was the buyers car. A reaction to the violations of moral and ethical standards is the "emotional" response. Practical responses to those violations, which relieved the buyer of any responsibility to buy the car, could include walking away and finding another dealer, ordering again from that dealer, receiving some form of compensation from the dealer for value received by them using the car as a "demo", getting a "no charge" extended warranty on the vehicle, and so forth.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    but I think I saw the Explorer I was going to look at at a gas station yesterday.
    Will check the dealer website in a few days to see if it still listed.
    Ford did drop the incentive from $1000 to $500 after April 4.
  • Options
    cfg1cfg1 Member Posts: 85
    It looks like the 1500 owner loyalty is gone too.
  • Options
    That's a $2,000 swing for someone like me, if I could find one.
  • Options
    swhildinswhildin Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2011
    Ordered my 4x4 2011 Explorer 3 mths ago - still not here! They say its built and ready to go - it's just sitting there at the plant waiting to be shipped to New Jersey! :mad:
  • Options
    I'm a dealer in Las Vegas. NV is really wierd!
  • Options
    citivascitivas Member Posts: 144
    Why do you say the Explorer has the best gas mileage of any 7 seat vehicle? Based on what? Certainly not the official EPA ratings. The Highlander handedly beats it on that basis, even the non-Hybrid version. There may be others that do to, I just picked it as one example.
  • Options
    occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    18/24 for the V6 Highlander.
    17/25 for the V6 Explorer.

Same difference.

Oh my, the 4-cylinder Highlander can have a third row seat.

20/25 for the 4-cylinder Highlander? Sure, the city number is higher. But are you sure? A 4-cylinder Highlander hauling around me, my wife, five kids, and luggage from Texas to Ohio and back? You are funny.

I will admit I saw a Highlander Hybrid at a gas station for it's semi-annual fill-up. It was black and looked pretty slick. But a Highlander for my family hauler? *chuckle*
  • Options
    The 3rd row space in a Highlander is still pretty small.
    Explorer has 2 more inches head room, 3 more inches leg room, 5 more inches hip room, 7 more inches shoulder room.
  • Options
    mayhermayher Member Posts: 41
    Hey:
    Hope you are enjoying your new Explorer by now. I truly wouldn't not concern myself about the extra 71 miles on the clock when you picked up the vehicle. I live in Chgo. and know people who work at the assembly line where yours was built. There are definately random vehicles picked off the line and driven by engineers, plant mgrs, and various quality control people before shipping. Most of the time, the vehicles are taken for a short ride or driven home for the night by the employee. The purpose is to check various quality aspects of the vehicle and document any issues regarding previous modification, function issues, squeeks and rattles, etc. These extra eyes and ears usually translate into a well put together car that should be delivered in great condition once cleaned up.

The sticker on the window should have stated how many miles were put on the vehicle for evaluation purposes. If this number varied significantly from the 71 miles, shame on the dealer. Bear in mind that miles are put on the vehicle while being driven from the line to the DT lot, in rail yards, and at the dealership for prep purposes.

I once picked up a new GM product that had been ordered for me that had these evaluation miles put on. I was also not happy at the time, but it turned out to be one of the best cars I ever owned.

All in all, I hope you are enjoying your new car
  • Options
    "evaluation" miles is one thing, dirty/muddy is quite another.
  • Options
    One of my family members also worked for Ford. Evaluation miles never exceed single digits. The distance from the line to the dock and from the truck to prep is typically no more than two. A lot of mischief can occur in 71 miles covered by unknown drivers. I would stay away from this car.
  • Options
    The OP has taken delivery by now and has not been back to express any regrets, so I think they are enjoying their new Explorer. :D
  • Options
    fordcustsrvcfordcustsrvc Member Posts: 27
    nyccarguy,

Sorry for the delayed response. I just ran across this reply. I was referring to the 2.0L Ecoboost, as you had assumed. At this time, they have not released the order guide so I am limited to only that information. Keep an eye on the Ford.com site for further information.

~Seni
  • Options
    bruce1145bruce1145 Member Posts: 1
    If you are a current Ford owner and are purchasing a new Explorer or other Ford product there is a loyalty reward of $750.00. The reward is in effect until sometime in May. Contact the Ford marketing department to verify this info to see if you qualify.
  • Options
    glockfanglockfan Member Posts: 30
    I live in the Atlanta, NW GA area. We are ready to purchase a new vehicle but cannot find the color and options we want. We are looking for the Limited 4WD in black tuxedo with charcoal interior with 302A pkg, moonroof and rims options. None of the dealers in my area have one. Can anyone help locate one? Thanks!
  • Options
    Wise dealers do not order/stock dark cars with dark interiors in HOTLANTA.

Try NH.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    why do you need 4WD in Atlanta?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    glockfanglockfan Member Posts: 30
    I am not sure how wise it it. There is a waiting list for the tuxedo black limited in the Atlanta area.. As for the need for 4WD, I live 75 miles nw of Atlanta where we do see snow/ice..