Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

F150 with the 3.5L twin turbo eco boost

hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
I was at the local Ford Dealer yesterday and the salesman I was talking to said that he went to Dearborn and drove the 2011 F150 Crewcab with the v6 ecoboost engine and got 29MPG. Has anyone else heard such gas mileage out of these engines?

Comments

• n1chun1chu Member Posts: 1
    I spec'ed out a F150, 6 speed automatic, 4X4 with the V6 engine. I was looking for the EcoBoost but was told it would be later in the year for the particular vehicle mentioned here. The reason was one of parts supply to build the EcoBoost turbos. Exactly when they would be equiping the V6 engines was a question Ford would not or could not answer at this time.

The fuel economy mentioned may very well be true, but I suspect it was exagerated a bit. Since the EcoBoost is a proven technology, Ford's intention to use it on just about anything they build could be a great asset to them. They have a good track record on the vehicles currently offered with it.
  • insuranceguruinsuranceguru Member Posts: 2
    About a week ago my order was placed for a new F150 with the Ecoboost engine. Dealership states that it won't be done until Late February-Early March 2011. Bummer!!! But supposedly, the gas mileage is 20% better than the 5.0L V8. To my knowledge that would be about 19 city and 24 highway. It would be awesome to get 29 highway as one the previous posts, but only time will tell.

Features: FX4 4X4, Steel Gray Metallic, SuperCrew, Ecoboost Motor, 3.73 gear ratio, Max Trailer Tow Package, Luxury Package, Navigation, 6.5' Bed, Moonroof.... I can't wait to get it...
  • stonesistonesi Member Posts: 4
    Drove a new 2011 F-150 super cab 2wd yesterday. Had the 3.7 V-6. Excellent truck, much improved over my 2004 F-150. I'm going to order one this week, a Regular cab XLT, 5.0 liter v-8 2wd, 8' bed, with sync and most of the other options. (Just a nice work truck) I hoping to set the price at invoice, plus any rebates. Does anyone have any pricing info. for orders from the factory?
  • curt1234curt1234 Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2011
    I'll let you know on the pricing, all the dealers are pimping 5500 from the factory on 2010, not much on 2011, I am looking for a price on an extended cab 5.0 4wd, the sticker was around 35k. I am on the fence on he f150, esp if the price isn't right. My neighbor bought a new silverado with the 5.3 extended cab 4wd, z71, the sticker was 35,500, same as the f150 I asked for a price on that is on its way to the dealer so its like ordering from the factory.

He got the 2011 Chevy Silverado LT, 5.3 4wd for 26,900 before his trade, 15/21 mileage thought I have heard as high as 24 unloaded. I like the idea of the 5.0 360hp versus 315, 5.3 but with weight differences between the two it might be a wash then its just a mileage comparo and the chevy will win that.

There is no way the eco boost will be 29 on the highway even 2wd and a stick, I woudl like to see underhood temps on that engine too, I am expecting about 23-24 highway for the ecoboost auto and 4wd, now how much? and how long are the turbos going to last, not mileage as much as mileage plus time.

Bottom line is if the chevys are selling this cheap and there are a good truck,it rode very well, even if its the oldest of the big 3 in design, maybe not quite as good as the ford but 6-7 grand less I am getting a silverado.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..the EcoBoost is a proven technology.."

Yes, but only if you are a "boy-racer", or are of that mentality.

Any SuperCharged or TurboCharged engine cannot be made to run optimally, FE wise, except ON BOOST. For the majority of the buyers the Ford EcoBoost/TwinForce Gas-Guzzling Gas HOG engines run in detuned/derated mode, sub-optimal compression ratio 99% of the time.

Ford may very well be off in the back room rethinking, as well they should be IMMHO, the overall EcoBoost marketing strategy.

It is clearly a mistake except for certain buyer categories, Mustang, say.
  • fueledupfueledup Member Posts: 64
    I was also looking to purchase an f-150 with eco-boost. How close to invoice were you able to get on your order?
  • insuranceguruinsuranceguru Member Posts: 2
    when i sat down with dealer, price was $46k... waiting for deliver to work out rebates and financing... i have looked at other trucks with the same features and they have all been closer to $60k plus rebates.... i think i am getting the most bang for my buck....

i am debating on leasing and buying... weighing heavier on buying due to resale value.... my dealer called yesterday and said that Ford is starting the build.... estimated deliver is end of February beginning of March.... Now I just have to wait...
    46k for an F150?? What options are on this truck. I would be looking at Super Duties and the New Chevy HD in that price range, that's way too much for the ecoboost, thats creeping into Diesel territory price wise, the Chevy HD with a Durmax is on the lot for 50k before rebates dealer discounts, you guys must be rich to buy F150's for 46k, my neighbor was right getting a Silverado for 26k lol, no way you will save 20k in gas mileage difference, in fact I bet the 5.3 will get better gas mileage, its down on power to the eco boost, nothing a Air Raid and chip wouldn't fix though for about 500 bucks...

A Supercharger on the 5.3 and its around 450HP to the wheels and get better mileage than the ecoboost for about 7 grand installed.

IN 10 years the eco boost won't be worth more than a few hundred bucks than the average Dodge Ram Hemi or Chevy , might be worth less as reliability concerns over time not just miles driven in a short period of time, wake UP people, stop drinking the Koolaid.
    The more EcoBoost/TwinForce gas-guzzling gas-hog engines Ford sells/ships the lower their FE fleet average declines. Ford wants the positive publicity of the "boy-racer" mentality aspects of BOOSTED engines, but not the fleet average FE declination.

How to solve the riddle...?

Price/option/market limit (FWD ONLY for the 2011 Ford Explorer with the I4 Ecoboost.....a FWD only Ford Explorer SUV...just how UNREAL can this get...?) the EcoBoost versions out of reasonable range of the average purchaser.
    edited January 2011
    According to the Ford Flex pricing structure you should expect to pay a $6,000 premium for the EcoBoost/TwinForce gas-guzzling gas-hog engine if you choose a lower end F-150 version on which that option is available but as little as $3,000 if you choose a high end F-150 version.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    on a Tundra site regarding the tear down of the 'Torture Test' Ecoboost. It's comical.
    There weren't any complaints when the proof of toughness was a truck towing a trailer up a ramp surrounded by fire for 2 minutes.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Dealer will come about 3500 off sticker on the 5.0, special order the 3.5 and not as much off sticker, he said lets build it and I can tell you the price.. Waiting until the autoshow to see what delas are out there, the Dodge and Chevy are my top two, not sold on ecoBoot.
    How about helping us out with what other gas vehicles have 350+ HP, 400+ Torque and are rated at 16/22 mpg?
    None, but the 5.3 matches it mileage(will beat it, 24MPG on a 5.3 4wd with extended cab 6 speed) and two tweaks and its right there powerwise and cost about 10k less average option for option, so buy the F150 with the superbooster and I'll buy the Chevy, longer warranty(100K) and pocket 10k, easy.

50hp for 10,000 na, I'll pass, Ford Finally has powerful engines, I can buy a 2000 Chevy that still has a strong motor...

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/04/road-test-review-2010-chevrolet-silverado-1- 500-z71.html
    Like you posted 'None'. Good job. :P
    I'm objective, not a ford nuthugger, I like the f150, I like the 5.0, I don't like the price, Chevy has the Ford on Price BIG time, 5.3 is a good motor and for me, its enough, dealer coming over 8500 off sticker, ford 3500 on the 5.0 and actually talking about sticker price on the 3.5, no way, all the 3.5's are 40k plus, the all star chevy is about 27k, 5.3, extended cab, 4wd, which has an auto option, best in the class, set it forget it, skid plates, heavy duty trailer/tow/cooling pack. So hmm, lets see 40k for the ford and 27k for the chevy and they are rated same mileage?? 50hp, I don't need it, chip/k&n I got it or close for about 500 bucks and even better mileage.

The only reason I would get the ecorooster is to chip it and run it even harder, but Ford has such a short warranty, why bother.

Anyone that knows about turbos just look at bmw, the 335 first two years, ran SUPER hot, the turbos glowed, I'll pass, explorer tell us about your superbooster when it arrives, I am sure its a great truck, just not worth the bucks, the superduty or gm hd are better bets, even dodge with cummins.
    :shades:
    edited January 2011
    Sorry, but my main point is that the very same V6 with a DFI "standard" compression ratio of 12:1 would easily have a HP rating of ~300 and a rather dramatic FE improvement.

Ask yourself why the new 2011 Ford Explorer is available with a V6 but without DFI, 12:1 CR, and the cognizant FE improvement. What is Ford hiding behind the curtain..?

Why does Ford think a turbo must be bolted to a DFI engine in order to get more reasonable, by today's "standards" FE...??

Why not provide the public with the option, DFI V6 with 12:1 CR and decent FE, or the Gas-guzzling EcoBoost/TwinForce version with substandard CR in order to accommodate, RARELY accommodate, BOOST.

Why run a DFI engine in detuned/derated mode, relatively POOR FE, 98-99% of the time...?

How many of us, given the choice, would choose 300HP and stellar FE over 350HP and relatively horrid FE...?

Why is the 2011 Ford Explorer with the EcoBoost/Twinforce Gas-Guzzling engine to be available only as FWD..?? Only way to compensate for the Gas-Guzzling effect and get relatively decent FE...?

Ford Explorer, 2011, CASTRATED version.
    "..Anyone that knows about turbos just look at BMW..."

Even worse, look at Mazda's HORRID track record with the CX-7 turbo.

Mazda, Ford's platform sharing partner, engineering know-how expertise sharing, cross-licensing, etc, etc.

They are, or course, sharing in the extraordinarily HIGH driveline component failures of the F/awd Escape/Mariner/Tribute. Maybe Ford just wants to share in the turbo failure rate Mazda is experiencing with the CX-7..?

Ford says they want the EcoBoost engine design to be used across their product line, 90%, within just a few years. Like that's gonna happen with their current marketing and pricing structure. EcoBoost available ONLY on the pricier/upscale product models, and even then only with a $3,000-6,000 option pricing.

Yeah, now THAT's going to get the attention of 90% of Ford buyers, just not the type of attention Ford says they want.

Like listening to X-VP Cheney speaking with "forked" tongue and twisted smile.
  • fueledupfueledup Member Posts: 64
    I would have to agree with (wwest), if i'm ordering a truck I would expect to be pretty damn close to invoice plus whatever rebates are available at delivery,I don't care which brand i'm purchasing. And the reality is f-150 has a terrible trade in allowance. I was looking to purchase a new 2010 f-150 with msrp at 44,500. But when I checked with kbb for trade-in allowance of that exact same vehicle with zero miles it came in at a mere 27,400. at the excellent end.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited January 2011
    50hp for 10,000 na, I'll pass, Ford Finally has powerful engines, I can buy a 2000 Chevy that still has a strong motor...

Not a 2000 5.3. I had a '00 Suburban and it was a DOG when towing anything and that was with 3.73 gears. My current 07 Expedition pulls up hills in 4th gear at 3k going 65mph that the burb would have to be in 2nd spinning over 4k rpm and barely over 50mph (6speed would certainly help). Then all that thrashing about. The 5.3 sounded like a scalded dog after a 2 mile 6 degree grade. The 3v 5.4 is not the greatest v8 in the world, but it's not short on torque, and it doesn't have to rev a bunch to produce it.

It's about torque and gearing when it comes to trucks. That's why I find the Ecoboost interesting. I'd love to have a 1/2 ton diesel, but with EPA regs etc., it doesn't look like that's in the cards. Plus many I know with the latest HD diesels are having lots of problems (Ford, GM, and Dodge). I'm not an engineer, but it seems diesels don't take well to all the pollution controls.

None of them are perfect. When I've had Chevys, the engines were reliable, but the rest of the truck sucked and with Ford's I've had engine issues but the rest of the truck has held up. I can't win with either.
  • bkelly9874bkelly9874 Member Posts: 1
    took delivery of my new f150 ecoboost... options: FX Luxury Premium Package, DVD, Leather, 3.73 limited slip, 4x4, 11300 tow weight, 6.5' bed, supercrew.... truck is bad a**... i have had it for 3 days.... all I want to do is drive... truck rides better than my 04 acura tl.... as far as power goes, i haven't trailered anything yet, hope too early spring... driving the truck to florida with my family... should be a great drive.... smooth on the highway...gas mileage is difficult to estimate since the remote start has been used several times since our weather has been cold and icy... guestimating i should get close to 20-24 mpg....
  • twwebertwweber Member Posts: 4
    I would love to hear what kind of mileage you are getting with the eco-boost. I have a 2010 FX4 and I am just under 16 combined. This new engine has the potential to be a game changer. While I have only seen a few out so it is hard to tell what kind of mileage it will get, it could be in my interest to swap a 2010 for a 2011 eco-boost. Sounds crazy but a combined 21 would be 30% increase. With gas more likely to be $4 a gallon for a while than $3, that's $600 per year on 10K miles.
    Unless you happen to have a lead foot, or your operations are often, more than say, 70%, high in the engine power band the combined 16 MPG you are now getting will be a keeper. The hwy/cruise mileage with the detuned/derated EcoBoost Gas-guzzling engine will undoubtedly be worse.
    You may be correct. My hope is that Edmunds/CR/Car & Driver takes an eco boost and runs an extended road test on it. I want to see what it gets regularly for 5 - 10K or more in miles. My sticker was 14/18/15 and I am there at 9K in miles. The sticker on the new 5.0's is 14/19/16. In other words, no difference. The sticker on the eco boost (which is clearly a question mark due to the unknowns on the engine) is 15/21/17. No way I would swap for that.

Barring something unexpected, my horizon is probably Dec 2011 to Apr 2012 before I would do anything. By then, the performance of this engine should be much more clear.

I should mention that my employer has Ford as a client so I have access to the supplier discount. In the past, this has meant any F150 but the Raptor below invoice with rebates and offers on top of that. Those numbers make my math better, but not enough for 2 mpg.
    edited March 2011
    15/21/17. No way I would swap for that.

Considering the EB has nearly as much torque output as the 6.2 which only has a 12/16 rating. I'd say it's at minimum worth looking into.

I'm open to the idea of an EB in my Expedition if it were to be offered. 80 ft-lbs more torque at 1k rpm lower, 60 more HP, and better FE vs. the 5.4. I'm definitely interested. The 5.0 is definitely sweet, but I don't know if it has enough torque at low rpm. It gets old having to rev an engine past 4k rpm all of the time for pulling power

Sure, I'd love a diesel, but considering I'd have to go 3/4 ton spend nearly $8k more just for the diesel to get marginally better fuel economy (much heavier truck) then pay 50 cents or more a gallon makes something like the Ecoboost a viable option for those of us that tow 5-8k lb trailers on the weekends.

For someone who tows all of the time, the diesel makes far more sense.
    And keep in mind that "your" numbers are actual while those are EPA estimates.
  • ironjasperironjasper Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2011
    Hey wwest,

The price for the ecoboost option vs. the 5.0 is $750.00 not 3k-4k .....

Also, I purchased on about a month ago for about $400 over invoice ....

I priced the chevy, and the deal wasn't any better ....
    edited March 2011
    The base price of an F150, XL model, is $22,415.00.

The minimum cost to get an F150 with the EcoBoost engine, $27,065.00.

That's an extra $4,650.00 for the pleasure of pumping gas into a Gas-Guzzling EcoBoost engine.
    The minimum cost to get an F150 with the EcoBoost engine, $27,065.00.

The minimum price on a 6.2L powered F150 is $40,000 and switching to the "gas guzzling" ecoboost that will get better FE is $1,920 less on the same truck. So what's your point?
    edited March 2011
    My point is that if Ford is going to go to all the cost of redesigning and retooling for building engine heads to accommodate DFI why not go the extra step and bring the engine block itself up to DFI specs, 12:1 CR.

The current V6 engine block, ~10:1 compression ratio, could still be mated with the turbo and thereby run in detuned/derated mode, GAS GUZZLING MODE, 99% of the time.

Meanwhile Ford would have DFI V6 engine, 300HP or more, that has a 12:1 compression and thereby has more reasonable FE.
    The current V6 engine block, ~10:1 compression ratio, could still be mated with the turbo and thereby run in detuned/derated mode, GAS GUZZLING MODE, 99% of the time.

Meanwhile Ford would have DFI V6 engine, 300HP or more, that has a 12:1 compression and thereby has more reasonable FE.

The current 3.7 v6 already has 302HP and class leading (EPA anyway) fuel economy. Should they boost compression and add direct injection? Sounds good, but a cost/benefit analysis would give the answer. Obviously adding DI does add cost and they want to be competitive on price. Still a DI high compression v6 isn't going to produce enough torque compared to a v8 or the Ecoboost v6 for serious towing.

I'm sure we'll be seeing more DI engines in the future. The 2012 Focus will have DI standard. So it's coming.
  • ironjasperironjasper Member Posts: 21
    If you are buying a configuration that allows the ecoboost, it's a $1750
    option over the 3.7 and $750 over the 5.0 ....
    End of story ....
  • rolltide247rolltide247 Member Posts: 1
    Ive heard the same thing. I have one and was averaging 26 at one point.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I purchased a 2011 F-150 with the new 3.7 engine. I have put 450 miles on the truck since the purchase, March 17. I can't decide if the engine underpowers the truck, since I have only driven that many miles. I wanted to know reactions to this engine from other owners.
    Automotive News is reporting 35% of F150's are powered by the EB and 40% of orders are for EB too and their is only a 13 day supply of EB powered trucks. Wow.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110428/RETAIL01/110429875/1- 254
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    edited May 2011
    I have a Flex with the Ecoboost, which is pretty close to the one in the F150, only difference is the cam and turbos between them. My Flex is getting avg of 19 MPG, but on open highway I get 27 MPG. The engine runs sweet on 87 octane, but kicks major butt on 93. It is a very strong engine, and after 18k miles in under a year of driving I have not one complaint on the motor. The computer can adjust the parameters depending on which fuel is in the tank, and does it smoothly, I never noticed any differences when running between 87-93-87 except for the increase in power with the 93. The engine has never once exhibited signs of knock, ping, stumble stutter or anything you would expect on an engine that had a turbo on it. I also have a 2010 Fusion Sport with the 3.5 V6, 265 HP, it gets avg 22 MPG, 32 has been seen on the highway, but I have to hypermile to get it, its more like 29 on the open highway. So my heavier, boxy Flex, with the 355 HP TC V6 is getting only 4 MPG less avg, and 2 MPG less Highway than my sleeker, lighter, NA sedan. It is a very good engine.

The beauty of the Ecoboost design is that the engine, turbos, cooling system, oil system, etc. are all part of the design from the ground up. Ford didn't take an off the shelf motor and slap a couple turbos on it and call it a TC. The block is designed to handle the gobs of power it can produce, if you watched the tear down you can see how they beefed up the lower end. This little V6 puts out almost as much power as my 7.3 powerstroke did.(I tweaked the 7.3, now its a monster) Power comes on strong right from 1500 RPM, you can really feel the pull when the gears are set right. I use the CC a lot, which helps keep the MPG high, since my right foot doesn't, :shades: and when I hit resume at 25 when it is set at 60, it doesn't downshift and scream, but pulls in each gear to get maximum power to fuel. It does it so smoothly that you don't notice you are doing 60 MPH.

Now that it has 18k on it, I can hear the turbos a bit, very subtle, but they are there, I couldn't hear them when I first got it, but I can hear them now.

I must have watched that video of the pulloff between the Ford, Gm and dudge about a dozen times, and laughed every time that gm came to a standstill up that hill, at least that is how the Ford made it look. They had to down rate the load on the F150 to 9600 pounds since that is what the GM is rated at. The little V6 has a higher towing capacity than the V8's in all the lines. That's pretty amazing. It wouldn't be able to replace my F350 though, since they don't have a crew cab with 8' bed in the F150, but if they did, it would be a serious candidate to replace it.
  • tigerjon1tigerjon1 Member Posts: 26
    edited May 2011
    Hello,

I have no idea if anyone is going to see this question or if I will be able to find it once I am finished, as Edmunds does not make it really easy to just post a new discussion. If anyone can recommend a forum for F-150 enthusiasts, please let me know.

I am soon to be in the market for a new vehicle (my wife's van will be paid off in a few months). I have never owned a truck, but it looks like now may be the time to pull the trigger. I work in sales, so even though I get 55 cents a mile, good mileage is important to me. I work in the construction supply business and a truck would be handy for lugging some pretty heavy stuff around. In addition, I hunt, so a truck will be handy for that too.

Right now I drive a 2006 Honda Pilot w/155k miles on it and it has been a pleasure owning it, as it has given me virtually no problems. Prior to this vehicle I owned a 2001 Explorer. I swore after dumping the Explorer with about 70k miles on it I'd never own a Ford again. It was the first Ford I'd ever owned, and it didn't leave a very good taste in my mouth. This vehicle gave us tons of trouble, most notably the rear-end diff going out on us twice. Conveniently for Ford, both times occurred after the 36k mile warranty had expired. Aside from changing the oil, brake pads, and plugs, I am not very mechanically inclined when it comes to motor vehicles, but I know my driving habits had little to nothing to do with the problems I had with this vehicle. I do not tow anything. I baby our vehicles as much as possible (to get the best mileage I can), and I just plain take care of my stuff.

Anyway, to get on with it, I have never owned a truck, but for the stated reasons, I can justify getting one. I will not get a Ram due to stories I've heard about Chrysler's reliability (no offense, Dodge owners). I will never go near a GM due to the Obama bailout ( I didn't vote for the guy). So I guess it's Ford again. However, other than an unproven engine (in a truck anyways), I am not worried as much as I thought I might be. I have always heard that Ford trucks are fine, they stumble sometimes in their SUVs. Also, I understand Ford has made strides in quality since our old Exploder was manufactured.

With all that out, I am looking for some solid advice on if this is the best truck for me. I would love to hear from Ecoboost owners and what they think so far. Also, would it be out of the question for a dealer to offer an extension of the factory warranty (at least on the PT), or a good deal on an extended warranty. Also, I understand I just missed Truck Month. I have already told one dealer we are not in a big hurry to buy, but if Ford threw out some more rebates, we might be encouraged to jump on them. Any advice on how I should go about this would be greatly appreciated. BTW, we can get the X plan, so divulging this to the dealer will come last.

Thanks for any help.

TJ
    Kansas City
    The short answer is that only buy as much truck as you need. Look at your needs (towing, hauling etc) and choose accordingly. While it's nice to have a big truck, you pay on fuel economy. I've had several F150's and think they are great trucks. By far, better than the rest.

In regards to negotiation, there is no real reason to hold back on the X plan info. You are really only negotiating trade in at that point since X plan basically sets the price. As you may guess, I have it as well. The good news is that the price is below invoice. The bad news is that Ford does not mark up their vehicles as much as some others. Another tip is that options have more markup than higher trim levels. So for example, you could find that X plan on an XLT with lots of options (leather etc) is cheaper than X plan on a Lariat with no options.

You get all rebates with X plan and my gut tells me that $4 gas will cause trucks not to move. If that happens then I expect the mfgs to slap $4K of rebates on trucks in the next 60 days. Now, who knows if Ford will restrict rebates on the Ecoboost, but I do expect higher rebates on trucks.

With X plan, you are better off buying when inventory is high and not at the end of the year. That way, you get the rebate, the cheap price and have an easier time picking out the truck you want. I swapped my last F 150 in Jun 2010. I kept watching and the deals the rest of the year did not improve upon the x plan and rebates. That would not be the case for everyone, but it was for x plan.

Good luck.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    www.F150online.net and www.Ford150.net are a couple of forums with plenty of discussion on the Eco-Boost and Ford 150's in general. Hope this doesn't upset Edmunds.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter is looking to interview owners of the Ford F-150 EcoBoost. Please email pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Monday, June 13, 2011 if you'd like to share your thoughts on the vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• cat125cat125 Member Posts: 36
    Very interested in hearing comments - looked at the 3.7 today and also the 3.5 eco and there is a difference in initial pick-up however was wondering how the 3.5 eco drives at higher speeds since it has more torque - is it a subbtle ride or more torque inspired - how does it compare overall to the 3.7 besides having more initial power
  • stonesistonesi Member Posts: 4
    I just received my special ordered 2011 F-150 regular cab, 2 wd, 8' bed, equipped with the 3.7 and 3.73 limited slip rear end. It seems quicker than my '04 with the 5.4, although not as much torque, as I feel the load when hauling even 1000 lbs. Engine sounds fantastic, much smoother than the 5.4. The transmission shifts to high gear quickly, which is part of the reason. An excellent truck over-all, much improved over the '04. Love the gauge package, sync, sirrius radio,and the new look. I'm getting 18.1 mpg, a 3+ mpg improvement over the 5.4, and I use it as a truck. Haven't towed a trailer yet. I test drove a eco-boost before I ordered my truck, and it was very quick! The 3.5 is supposed to tow much better than the 3.7, however I couldn't order the 3.5 and the custom package together. I'm very happy with the performance of the 3.7
    wonder if the crew cab will move as well as the regular cab - probably - Im thinking of the 5.5 bed - the 3.73 rear end makes a big difference - thanks for your input -
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I purchased an F-150 Supercab in March with the 3.7 engine. It currently has 2500 miles on it. I am happy with the engine. The thing that I had to get used to was the low rpms of the engine. It just sounded different than my five speed. Not a complaint, just an observation. I have not clocked the mpg that the sticker shows. With true around town driving with a lot of stops and starts, I get 14.7 miles per gallon. On the road, I get 20 mpg typically. I changed the 17's that were original equipment to 18's. I don't know whether that contributed to less miles per gallon. The truck is tight and the ride is good. It is a much nicer handling truck than my 2007.
    The low rpms in happening to a lot of US manufactured suvs and trucks - new chevy Tahoes are the same way and in fact the change was so dramatic it was a deal breaker for me from the 2008 version - thanks for the feedback
    Is there too much torque in this engine ??? probably sounds stupid but keep hearing comparisons between the eco-boost and the 6.2 engine in the raptor and frankly I'm looking for a pick-up truck that provides cargo space but mostly interested in comfort - so far people that I've asked have been unable to explain the difference in torque from one of these eco-boost trucks and the other engines. Does the extra torque make the truck drive like Porsche or an SUV ??? \not sure if this makes sense but appreciate any comments
    Is there too much torque in this engine ??? probably sounds stupid but keep hearing comparisons between the eco-boost and the 6.2 engine in the raptor and frankly I'm looking for a pick-up truck that provides cargo space but mostly interested in comfort - so far people that I've asked have been unable to explain the difference in torque from one of these eco-boost trucks and the other engines. Does the extra torque make the truck drive like Porsche or an SUV ??? \not sure if this makes sense but appreciate any comments
    The EcoBoost gashog, gas-guzling engine runs in detuned/derated mode except "mostly" or fully on-boost, so the extra torque is NOT there except for acceleration, SERIOUS acceleration.
    now that makes a lot more sense - thanks