Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Impala traction control light & engine light

linda00linda00 Member Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in Chevrolet
When I am driving on (usually) wet or slippery pavement the traction control light will go off in tandem with engine light. The messages will alternately read service traction control and reduced engine power. Upon turning the car off for a while, the traction control light will be off when the car is re-started but the engine light will stay on for a day or so and then go off. It is a 2010 Impala that I bought at a dealership that was a rental car. Is anyone else having this problem and did they get it resolved? The dealership can't seem to find the problem.

See Also: Reduced Power Message on GM Vehicles

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    linda00,
    Can you please send me your complete contact information including a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer?
    I would like to set up a case for you with GM Customer Assistance. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 1badimpala1badimpala Member Posts: 1
    im have a 2009 impala, has 44000 miles, have owned it for 2 months and been nothing but problems, first the service airbag light came on which ended up being a dirty seatbelt retractor $120, now we have a traction control light, service engine and reduced engine power, what to do with this car, dealer told us impalas were the best full size car. Starting to wonder
    1badimpala,

I apologize for the issues you are experiencing with your vehicle. I encourage you to keep working with your dealership. Please keep us posted when everything has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • joanne21joanne21 Member Posts: 2
    My car has 75000 miles on it and the traction control and throttle control message comes across. The pavement was dry and no gravel.Also it said engine reduced power Dealer said I need a gas pedal module replaced. Wouldn't this be covered under the powertrain warranty? Dealer says no but i know GM changed their warranty on their 2010 warranty. Can anybody help? They told me they never let the car out with this condition yet they let me take my vehicle.
  • pritszypritszy Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2009 Chevy Impala LTZ with about 70,000 miles on it and the traction control and throttle control message comes on frequently. There has been not wheel spinning or wet pavement. The display will say service traction, Engine power is reduce along with the engine light coming on and staying on for a day or so. Took the car to Friendly Chevrolet in Dallas, TX and they told me that the gas pedal module needs to be replaced. Wouldn't this be covered under the Power train warranty? Dealer says no but this is not fault of mine and there has been no damage to the car to make the Gas pedal module goes out. I have had this car for 3 years this April. It’s a 2009 Chevrolet Impala LTZ. I have never had any other issues with the car. I heard that GM changed their warranty on their 2010 warranty. Can anybody help?
    On Friday 10/28/11 the card stopped in while I was driving and displayed the following messages service traction control, Engine power reduced, Engine light and the car shut off completely. I would not start again and I had to have the vehicle towed to the nearest dealer. Again the car was taken to Friendly Chevrolet in Dallas, TX. Can someone please help with this issue or advise me with the correct information regarding the car.

I really like my Chevy Impala and would hate to have to get rid of it. But I need a car that works.
    :sick:
  • linda00linda00 Member Posts: 3
    Replacing the gas pedal fixed mine. Since I had just bought the car (even though it had 43,000 miles on it) the dealership replaced it at no cost to me. This is an issue with alot of the chevrolets. Since I've had the work done I've had no more problems with the car. In my case Chevrolet stood behind their product.
    Pritszy,

I’m sorry that your Impala, which you like so much, is on the injured list at the moment. If Customer Assistance can help you work with your dealer towards resolving this, please email Christina with your name, contact information, VIN, and dealer name.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Sarah,

Thanks so much fo responding to my posting. You stated that I should email Christina the following information. My name, contact information, VIN and dealer info.

Can you please send me Christina's contact information.

Thanks,
    I was just informed by the dealer that the APP sensor is bad in the car and that it needs to be replaced. I wanted to know if this is something that is covered under the Powertrain warranty. They are charging me $460. to replace this part. Not sure why if the part is only $127.00 why is the labor so expensive. Although I need Pritszy I still need to make the monthly payment.

Can someone please give me some assistance with this
    Happy to help! You can send her an email at socialmedia@gm.com

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Well I'm back My 2009 Chevy Impala (Pritszy) has died again. I just had this car fixed in October and it stopped on my again this morning. This si the 3rd time this car has stopped in 3 months. My concern is that every time I ahve had to come out of pocket for these expenses. I'm not sure what the problem is this time but it started to loose power and eventually just cut-off.

I recently had the APP sensor repalced and now this, the only lights that displayed ont eh vehicle was the check engine light. I really thought I was purchasing a good vehicle but now I have my doubts.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • tianartianar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 chevy impala that ivonly had for only 5 months an ve bs yoyen experiencing the same exact problems im seeing that alot of you are having, I have back and forth to the dealership with this problem numerous times my car would not only reduce power but would shu t off countless times a day whether im druving on the street or on the freeway which is very dangerous having my two children in the car. The dealership replaced the throttle twice so far because thats what they were saying wthe priblemas the problem, obviously not if the problem vanished for about a week after replacing the thr soottle the second time an its now reoccuring and are now they are claiming it can be the type of gas im using and suggested I use "93" instead of "87" im yo the point where I dont know what else to do its very frustrating.
  • rodeostorerodeostore Member Posts: 1
    So a 2011 Impala LT bought used with 40,000 miles on it and we get the Stabilitrac reducing engine power message across the driver info center while pulling out of the driveway to head to church on a clear Sunday morning. I'm reading this similar problem across multiple makes and it seems GMCs' response is "Not Our Problem Man" or better yet "Change Your Fuel" really you have a mass problem across multiple lines of vehicles and this is the best you can come up with? GMC, we are taking the vehicle back to were we bought it and will have them fix the problem (in my hopes by giving us a like priced vehicle from another manufacture) but I can tell you after 2 issues with your vehicles in a row (the other one being a 2006 Uplander) I will never buy another GMC product!! And I can assure you that the next time you ask Congress for a bail out I will vehemently rally against you and anyone who votes to help you out!
  • gmoney11201gmoney11201 Member Posts: 3
    I am having the exact same problem with my 2011 Chevy Impala. While making a right turn and a semi is on my tail, I get the Engine Power Reduced, Check Stability Control, Check Traction Control messages. I could have be rear ended or worse.
    gmoney11201,

Are you planning on getting this looked into by your dealership? Please keep us updated and if we can be of any assistance, contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include a summary of the situation, your name and contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • hthurhthur Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to write and tell you I am having the same problem with my 2010 Chevy Impala. The traction control light comes on then shuts the engine down. I have had the car maybe 2-3 years....that is still new in my book. It is a huge safety concern. What happens when somebody's shuts down on the highway and they get hit. That almost happened to me. I didn't know what was going on and almost didn't get to the side of the road in time. I could feel the other cars race by me and the wind shook my car. It was very scary. I feel this should be recalled as it is a huge safety concern.
  • bjkthebestbjkthebest Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 2006 Chevy Impala 3.5L. I've had this car for 3 years and no major problems till now. This started happening around 5 months ago At first it was just service traction control light, then the check engine light started coming on and the engine would start losing power to a crawl. So took it to my mechanic and he checked it with his computer and it showed something wrong with the throttle body, after changing that the car worked well for like 5 days then the check engine and service traction control light came back on. Although the car hasn't stopped on me ever since I changed the throttle body it does have a bit of a kick in it when changing gears. I took it back to my mechanic and he cant figure out why the lights are still coming on. I used to really like GM but this is just so frustrating to deal with and a waste of money!
    bjkthebest,
    Is your mechanic affiliated with one of our GM dealerships or a non-GM establishment? If the former, let us know as we're happy to follow up with him on this (we can be emailed at socialmedia@gm.com).
  • texasimpalatexasimpala Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Chevy Impala. I paid $2500 this past summer at Pep Boys to repair the A/C as it had started spitting out heat instead of cool air. Before that repair the car was working perfectly. Since this summer's expensive repair many things have gone wrong. I am having to jumpstart the car every week to 2 weeks with my old old car. I have replaced the battery with a new one within the last 2 months. The alternator has been tested by a reliable testor many times & tested fine. Nothing is being left on in the car to kill the battery. There are other electric problems since the a/c repair. The electric door locks have not worked (except the driver door) since the repair except when the new battery was installed & with each new jumpstart the other 3 doors open involuntarily & never respond again. Have to manually open each of the 3 doors except at jumpstart or with brand new battery. Then of course I have to walk around & manually lock each. Again none of these problems until the $2500 pep boys A/C repair. Obviously I need to take the Impala in again but am unlikely to take it to Pep Boys & don't know where to avoid an expensive repair that will break something more expensive.
  • texasimpalatexasimpala Member Posts: 2
    Also why isn't there a key hole in the trunk so that I am not locked out of my trunk until jumpstart?
    Good morning texasimpala,
    We're sorry that you've encountered these troubles with your Impala after the repair you had done last summer. I understand if you are searching out other options as well, but if you need assistance locating a dealership in your area to get this checked into, let us know.
  • winnie1623winnie1623 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Impala LT, 83000 miles and at about 50,000 I went to the dealership for the same problem "Traction Control service" and ABS and reduce speed. It was pretty hairy while driving at highway speed and you go from 65 to 40 mph. Well the dealership changed the left wheel hub because they said the sensor was showing a fault. I think that bill was $650....
    I'm getting the same message again, this time I took it to a local mechanic who used to work at a local Chevy dealership till the government closed them. He changed the left wheel hub again. Its been 2 weeks and the car is doing it again!!!!!! It is extremely frustrating. My son who is very good with foreign cars is telling me to just drive it, there is no fix unless I want to spend big $$$. I can't afford another car, damm if a dealership has problems and can't get it right....we are in big trouble
    Hi winnie1623,

I can completely understand how frustrating of an issue this could be. I would really like to reach out to you via email to get more information from you. This way I am able to look into your specific situation and work as hard as I can to get a resolution. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and dealer your involved with? This was I can stay involved throughout the process. My email is socialmedia@gm.com "Crystal". Look forward to hearing from you:-)

Crystal-GM Customer Care
  • deadchevydeadchevy Member Posts: 3
    I have recently bought a chevy. I have not even paid on it 6 times. Today I got a traction control, stability light with the engine power reduced. I hope this does not cause a wreck. This is a 2011 Chevy Impala LT. I do not feel that anything should go bad in a car less than 2 yrs old, with less than 40000 miles on it. If it costs me more than$20.00 to fix, I will blast Chevy with everything that I have in my power to do. I will be at the Chevy dealer tomorrow hoping that this fix is quick and reliable.
  • jwc1951jwc1951 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2013
    Hello, I went through this whole thing on March 18, 2013. Took my car to GM dealer and 500 dollars later it was fixed GM social media acted as though they were concerned but all they could tell me was sorry. Dealer said no recall and there probably won't be one. Seems like a lot of people having this problem. I understand things break. Even Maytag washers have issues at times. What bothers me is that GM is not offering any good will assistance of any kind. I bought manny new GM cars through the years. This one hasn't been good. I can accept that. What I can't accept is GM's lack of real concern. They make it look like there on it but I think it's all eyewash. Hopefully its fixed. It's our family car & must be safe and reliable
    edited April 2013
    First off. I posted this like a week ago. I had this light come on and then go off. I thought it was just a small problem that happened by accident. It came on again today. I was on a ramp and these lights started going on, the engine started beeping. I was jerked wen the engine power reduced, and I CRASHED into a light post. Luckily I wasn't hurt. The airbags did not go off but my whole car is ruined. I also have no faith left in Chevy. I will never feel safe driving this car, if it is repairable and to add, I have to pay the deductible for an accident that is obviously caused by an engineering problem. What I want to know is, What is Chevy going to do about this????
    Its very sad that there is no recall or fix for this....I just took it to a 3rd mechanic too. and guess what, still not fixed. The worst is the Chevy dealer that was down the block was closed by Obama. I'm going to the NY auto show to look at Toyota and Subaru's
    I also have been seeing the response e-mails from GM Cust Ser. asking for info. Has anybody gotten a 2nd response to fix the proplem? Or is GM just giving us lip service.
    I vote lip service
    I called them to complain and file a claim against GM. They took my information and want me to tow my crashed car into a dealership so they can come look at it. I have complained twice and not one person has responded to these complaints. Really upset with GM Chevrolet.
  • td9td9 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2008impala, and I have owned it for 2 yrs now. i have a traction control light, service engine and reduced engine power, once that warning comes on the speed reduces and it struggles to shift gears. also the lights go in and out on the dashboard. But once I park and turn the car off it goes away a drives fine. Sometimes it goes months with out doing it again and other times just days. And recently my cruise control would shut off by itself as I'm traveling down the interstate on cruise. It just shuts off and the car decelerates. what to do with this car, dealer told us impalas were the best full size car. Starting to wonder
  • rpeckiorpeckio Member Posts: 3
    I have read the comments here and this problem has occurred with my 2010 Impala multiple times as well. First I had the wheel bearing fixed. Then I had the gas pedal cleaned where the throttle position sensor is. Then I replaced the throttle body. GM dealer says none of this is covered under powertrain. I am having this brought back to a GM mechanic for the fourth time. If this is not a small fix at this point, I am through. I would rather pay the loan off than continue to dump money in to an unreliable vehicle. I am through buying American cars, my prior Ford Explorer gave me all sorts of problems.
  • tjk7tjk7 Member Posts: 1
    turn your wheels to the left right, undo the abs sensor clip and then cover the end with electrical tape, voila no more traction control
  • rpeckiorpeckio Member Posts: 3
    I wish I was handy in that regard Winny. I called up to GM Corporate and they had no interest in that the car has been at the mechanic 4 times in the past month for the same issue, and is a 2010. They asked why I did not bring the car to Chevy Service. Well, I told them I had each code read and each time I called the code in to service, it was not covered under powertrain warranty. I stated why would I bring it to Chevy service and get ripped off on price when I can just bring it to a local GM mechanic for 15 years I trust. They had no concern for my vehicle. The Chevy customer service is as faulty as the parts they put in their vehicles. They should be ashamed of themselves.
  • jwc1951jwc1951 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2013
    Really!!!! I have a 2006 impala, bought it new, took very good care of it, all scheduled maint plus some completed on time. I always had a chevy or a pontiac. Some were very good others were just ok. This 2006 has just turned 50,000 miles. It is without a doubt the worst car I have ever owned. The muffler rusted out at 30,000 miles, not covered over 3 years old. Then coolant by-pass tube and water pump, not covered over 3 years old. Then heater/ac control door motor, not covered. Then acc pedal control module, not covered. Then the power seat went out. Now I have a body control module blown out due to a power spike from the cooling fan. Really!!! All these afflictions with the exception of the muffler have GM service bullitens so they know there is a problem. GM cust care is eye wash only, they really don't care. 2014 Chevy impala? I think ill pass on this one. I need a break
  • sthomastoliversthomastoliver Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 impala reduce engine power light came on traction light and engine I contacted customer service at gm ...no recall its my problem I need to fix it with so many complaints on this issue there should be a recall I am very up set dont have money to take to dealer to put on machine100.00 then another 400+ for repairs im clearly done with gm
  • we3st3we3st3 Member Posts: 1
    This is the 5th time I have had my 2006 Chevy impala in the shop, I have had it exactly one year and 2 months, I have a traction control & engine light on and I keep getting no answer from 3 different shops why it is on. All computer checks won't give them the proper codes to fix the problem. I feel so unsafe in my car I have had it in the shop more than I have driven the car. No one including GM has no answers. I have no trust in Chevy. All the problems is so sad that they put us at risk. I think GM should recall this problem before someone gets hurt or killed by Chevy. Please fix before I have no money left and no car running.
  • pryncessmimipryncessmimi Member Posts: 1

I have had this problem multiple times as well.. I have spent well over $3000 fixing a 2008 Chevy Impala SS.. makes me not want to even buy another GM car ever.. Now today.. Service Stabiltrack light comes on.. smh.. whats next?

• chevyboi2009chevyboi2009 Member Posts: 1

I'm having problem with my 2009 Chevy Impala 3.5L. I've had this car for 3 years and no major problems till a few months ago. This started happening around 5 months ago At first it was the engine power reduced I Fix this myself by replacing the Accelerator Pedal Sensor, now the traction control light and then the check engine light started coming on and the engine would start losing power. I'm not sure wants wrong with is now

• siler1978siler1978 Member Posts: 1
    I am glad to see I am not the only person having this issue. I have a 2009 Impala LTZ with 103,000 miles. The first time it happened my car had been parked at work all day. I started it up and went to pull out of parking spot when service traction control came over display and car started shaking. I stopped, turned car off and sat. It started up fine with no issues just check engine light on and drive with no issues. I thought maybe because it was so cold that was the issue. Well today a week later I left my house with no issues while driving 55mph it displayed service traction control, engine power reduced, check engine light came on and then shut down. Fortunately I was somewhere I could pull off the road. I sat there for about 5 minutes and started it up and the entire car shook. I turned the car back off and waited 5 more minutes. I started car again with no issues and check engine light was off. I made it about 3 miles and did it again. I now sit waiting for a tow truck and a ride because when I start car it just shakes. I now scared to drive my vehicle to work as I commute 50 miles each way and cannot afford to be stranded. Luckily I don't have my kid today with me as its 21 outside and I'm sitting on the side of the road.
  • atandt3katandt3k Member Posts: 2

I have a 2009 Chevy Impala, I bought it used with 42k at a local dealership. At 45k the Service traction control Reduced Engine power alarm came on. The dealership changed the accelerator pedal, the problem went away until 80K. It was sporadic, only occuring when it rained. I took it to a new car dealer and they said it was the Throttle body sensor. I replaced 3 throttle bodies, the first being the original, and the other two due to none of the local dealers knowing that it had to be programmed. I took it to Arnell Automotive group in Chesterton, IN and they programmed it for me, the Service Mananger Mike was awesome in looking up the information. After 5000k the problem came back, again in the rain. I found the wiring harness was on top of the engine mount bolt. I moved it and checked the wires and did not find any damaged. I taped it with high temp, corrosive resistant tape. It helped for 200 miles then it came again. Again in the rain. None of the dealers no why and whats wrong with it. Now its starting to do it in snow, and when I don't drive the car for 24hrs and it sits in the drive way. In the drive way it trips the code when you start the car without the car moving. The codes I get are P2176, and P2138. BTW even with the traction control off, I hit a icy spot in the road at 30mph and it shut the car down. The car has become VERY DANGEROUS. Chevy help!

• nomoregm2nomoregm2 Member Posts: 1

My wife's '06 Impala LT 3.9L has a "Service Traction Control" message that comes on every time one of her front wheels spins, even slightly on ice or snow. The car then loses power and the shifting feels very grabby. Turn the car off for a minute and it's like it never happened. We bought this car new and have had it back to the dealership, at last count, 19 times for a plethora of problems, usually warranting a rental car. That's why I just bought an Audi.

• theprof13theprof13 Member Posts: 3
    I've sent an email to gm about the traction control and check engine light they told me to get a diagnostic but it would cost me but I've already paid for this test. I wonder if this is just a run around but I will go to see wht comes of this. It really should be a recall on this issue. I really think it's a faulty PCM...
  • nscipionscipio Member Posts: 1

I was driving today and the traction light came on and the car completely shut down on me on the interstate. SO NOT SAFE!! I have read several comments on here and we all have the same issues. I have also read the replies from "supposedly" GM Customer care representatives and the replies suck. GM needs to be ashamed of themselves selling issues like this.. We went from transmission problems to traction problems and vehicles shutting down on us while driving. I live in Georgia and this is the first time this has happened to me. Luckily I was in the right lane and could get off the interstate onto the shoulder. What happens next time if I can't and someone slams into my car? Will GM finally step up and find out what the issue is and repair the problem or wait on a big lawsuit after someone is killed when their car shut off in traffic on the interstate. I don't need to send a VIN number, the year of my car or anything to customer service. WE WANT ANSWERS AS TO WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH THESE DEATH TRAPS!!

• munson64munson64 Member Posts: 1

For about over a year I have had issues the traction control with my 2010 Impala, every dealership I called basically told me that it was am issue with the "wheel bearings " ,well I had them all fixed and still have the same issue.. It got so bad that even on dry land the car would jerk and the traction control would kick in when I accelerate after a red light to green light and one time I almost got rear ended. Eventually I smartened up and just turned off the TC manually every time I turned on the car on , but what about my wife who forgets?. GM really needs to do something about this issue because not everyone has money to fix these defects that are not even the consumer's fault!! I have owned many GM vehicles but after reading other comments and reading the recent news I am really considering trading in for a another make!!

• rerwin1rerwin1 Member Posts: 1

I also am having the issue with the traction control. I have a 2009 Chevy Impala. It happens mostly when it is wet. It will say service traction control, disabling throttle and will at times shut my car down even on the free way. It will only allow me to go 30/40 and then eventually shut it down. I wait a few minutes and start it up again and take off. This has been happening for a few years now. I called GM today and yes they assured me a dealership could fix and referred me to the one I already took it to. How many people are having this issue?

• taj95taj95 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the traction control and the engine reducing power.why is the power train warranty not covering this issue.I have read tons of reviews and 06 to 10 models are having the same problem.My 09 impala stopped on the freeway totally shut down.This is ridiculous and i will be talking to my lawyer. Gm is responsible and there should be a recall.How can this issue be resolved Gm ?
  • kc65kc65 Member Posts: 1

I had the same problem everyone else on the last two pages have been happening. I was coming home from work during 5 o'clock rush hour and the reducing engine power traction control came on and I went from 73 to 40 in a matter of seconds with almost a pile up. I had to get over two lanes and stop on the side of the road. I had to wait 30 minutes until the car decided to clear itself and this happened two more times before I could get it home. If this many people are having this many problems, why does GM have to wait until people die before they provide a recall. My daughter is currently driving a 2009 Cobalt and we are waiting for the dealership to call us that the parts have arrived for that recall, but people had to die to get that one. I have never owned a foreign car and never will, but GM's loyalty should be as strong as mine.

• butler28butler28 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 Chevy Impala LS last Yr June 2013 from an Older Lady who Barely drove it... At the time of the Purchase the Car had 43,000 miles on it... It Now has 50,000... I've been having Problems with the Traction Control System activating when it shouldn't... Also when pulling out into traffic there's this grinding sound that sounds like the Brakes are grinding against something... It's really Weird... My ABS Light comes on in my Car and won't go off now... I need Help and any Opinions that anyone can Spare... Car drives really Good just not sure how to go about addressing these Problems...
  • scotty98665scotty98665 Member Posts: 1

I am having to same issue also. I have a 2009 Chevrolet Impala with about 103,000 miles on it. The traction control device light came on yesterday afternoon along with the engine light and it stated reduced engine power. I am currently awaiting Hare Chevrolet in Noblesville, In to contact me regarding an appointment on Saturday, today is Thursday. I attempted to call them as soon as I got home yesterday.

• kazied87kazied87 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2009 Impala. The traction control and reduced engine power lights came on. The engine stopped while I was driving on a busy highway. Not a good thing to happen , I was lucky and was able to pull the car safely over to the breakdown lane. Got the throttle body changed and all seemed fine until 2 weeks later when the same lights came on. Now it's getting the throttle sensor replaced. I am not happy especially after seeing so many other online complaints about the same problem. GM should have had a recall.