Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Ford Escape owners are reporting

hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
Just bought a 2011 Ford Escape XLT and thought it would be nice for the 2011 owners to chat. I just checked my mileage on my first tank of fuel and got 29.4 mpg which is way better than my 2008 tacoma which got 20.

Comments

• hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    Well I just hit 9000 miles today and filled the tank. (28.8mpg) Computer said 29.1 so close enough. So far no problems. Great SUV. I see that Ford has redesigned the 2012 Escape. Looks like its built on the Focus plateform? I think they sell 200,000 a year so I hope they do not regret it.
  • antoninbantoninb Member Posts: 49
    I acquired a new 2011 V6 Escape Limited AWD. So far, nothing significant or unusual to discuss.
  • bornfordloverbornfordlover Member Posts: 1
    Ford is ruining the Excape for 2012 and making it look like the edge , even more freaky! I need to hurry now to get a 2011 Excape before they make it into the new Etsel . Bet sale will fall for this ugly mini van look they are giving her ! Drug test the designer I think they are taking crack !
    I know what you are saying. I believe its going to be built on the Focus platform but not sure. The great thing about the escape is its size/function/gas mileage (at least for the 4cyl) They sell 200,000 escapes a year so i do not know what the hell they are thinking. I am betting my 2011 resale value is going to be very nice indeed. I have gotten between 27 and 29MPG every tank full so far and have had no issue's what so ever.
  • gelphiegelphie Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I just picked up my 2011 Ford Escape last night. I loved my old Ford Explorer which I had for 14 years. Then I went to a Honda CRV for 3 years but I wanted to go back to Ford. The Honda was too confining and small. I'm a little concerned though with the mileage on the Ford. I know they say it takes a bit to break it in to see the mileage but, I have 160 miles on it and it is only at 17.6 mpg! When I picked up the Honda CRV the first time, it was at 24 mpg within the first 50 miles. Has anyone else had this problem with it taking a while to get that good gas mileage? BTW, I forgot to add that it is a 4 cyl. I thought I'd get the 4 instead of the 6 cyl in order to gain better gas mileage. I hope this isn't what it is going to be because I'd rather have the 6 cyl in that case!
    I can tell you that short trips will kill your gas mileage in the escape. I drive 70% highway and average between 28 & 29 mpg but when I get out of my normal schedule and make a bunch of short trips it will drop to 25mpg. You may not be as excited with the mileage comming from a CRV as I was coming from a Truck that only got 20mpg highway.
  • escapeowner4escapeowner4 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Ford ! Why do you think we buy so many Ford Escapes , because we love the looks of it and my 2011 is one of the best looking cars I have ever owned. Maybe you can sell those ugly 2012 Escapes to former Mini Van owners because you sure are not going to get any repeat business from any former Escape owners. Yes the designers must be smoking crack !
    :cry: 2012 :sick: Ford :lemon: Escape :surprise:
  • escapeowner4escapeowner4 Member Posts: 2
    Holly Cow ! You must have your foot in it all the time! I have 1600 mile on mine now and my I4 is getting 26 + mpg right out of the box and I thought I hot footed it a little. Just got mine back getting the Katzkin limited edition leather seats being put in my silver with black interior Escape XLT and it looks sweet ! The Katzkin leather is so soft and the silver stitching and silver panel looks so good. After I get the running boards and the MB Sprite Wheels put on it , it will be perfect ! :)
  • babbs3babbs3 Member Posts: 50
    Just traded in 2010 Fusion for 2011 Escape. Reason for trade in is very hinky trans. Well the Escapes' tranny is the cousin of it. It is a tad better but still can't decide what gear it wants. The mileage is not great (26 highway) and I feel that the reason for the 6 auto was to improve mpg. but when a car over revs. and doesn't shift smooth, well there goes the good mileage. I can understand lesser mpg in city but going under 75 on freeway I do expect at least 28. Good news is I did not BUY the escape, just a lease this time. Will Ford EVER admit this trans. is just not right? Never, cause they have sold so many they just don't care. This may be my last Ford.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2011
    You can check with more owners here:

Ford Escape Real World MPG
  • kqqlkatkqqlkat Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Ford Escape 2011 today. The Manager told me that they already had plans to change the looks for 2014. so maybe you will get your wish.
    Has anyone had trouble with their 2011 escape with the variable timing solenoid? Dealer had to replace mine at 12,000 miles and told me if I did not want another one to fail that I would have to change my oil every 3000 miles. I have a call into Ford. Can anyone tell me what TSB 11-2-10 says? It is a service bullentin for this problem. Basically my escape started to run rough then the check engine light came on and then when I shut it off it would not re-start. I would like to know how changing my oil @ 5000 miles created problem to make this thing fail?
  • jack2123jack2123 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I'm having an ongoing problem with debris (twigs, leaves, seedllings from trees) blowing up under the hood and lodging itself ontop of the engine block under the air filter. After a while, due to the engine heat, the debris heats up and begins to smoke and my car smells like a campfire. I've vacuumed the debris off of the engine and this eliminated the problem for a while, but eventually more debris finds it's way back on top of the engine. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • nortdnortd Member Posts: 13
    I have a new 2012 Ford Escape XLT and am having serious problems with my automatic transmission. I am driving along and while the xmission is shifting...all of a sudden the car is not responding to the gears..it is as though the motor stops (but it it still running) when I depress the gas pedal nothing happens and then all ofr a suuden it will "get in gear again". I took it back and the service mgr. said they fixed it but did NOt give me a service receipt. IT seems it only happens when I first start out in the mornings and then it is fine the rest of the day???? Any suggestions ???
  • babbs3babbs3 Member Posts: 50
    I know what you mean about not only the trans. but the fact that Dealer didn't give you a service receipt. It happened twice with my 2010 Fusion (trans problems). They do this because 1. They don't want to own up to the fact that the trans. does NOT perform well. 2. The problem will never appear on a Carfax list. As for being ok for the rest of the day..trust me your problems will not go away. My current 2011 Escape has same lousy trans. but I am just ignoring it because it's a lease. Ford doesn't care so rather than watch my blood pressure go up and argue with them (I have heard every excuse including...its the way you drive to thats' the way they should operate or yes we found trans was a bit low on fluid so now its ok. Ha. I really feel sorry for you especially if you bought this car.
  • nortdnortd Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the fast reply...sounds like I will have a fight on my hands.
  • printerman1printerman1 Member Posts: 68
    3 times in the shop with tranny problems. Hard Shifting, shakes the whole suv including the driver. Presently have it in the Grogan dealership, again! This is my first FORD, I am beginning to regret it.
    they had to replace the gear shift mechanism, the solenoid made a audible clunking sound when shifting from park to drive. you could feel the vibration.
    Not impressed with Assembled with pride in Kansas, parts globally sourced.
    agreed! I think I am in for a fight, with a truck I am still paying for. The dealership has their money. The Ford ads are bull, service is good, only if it too their benefit. Nothing has changed.
  • mccomajlmccomajl Member Posts: 6
    I bought my 2012 Escape on Dec 29, 2011. At about 250 miles, the car starting having problems shifting. This only happens for the first time out of the drive every morning. After 20-30 minutes of driving, the issue stops. Also it is fine for the rest of the day.

This issue with shifting is between 2-3, and 3-4 gears. When shifting between 2-3 gears, it acts like it doesnt know what to do; then after a second or two, it decides to upshift and the car starts moving again. Then between 3-4 gears it will act like it is slipping the clutch.

When I called the dealer at 250 miles, they tried to tell me that the car needed to "learn" how I drive. At 720 miles, the problem was getting more pronounced. I took the car to the dealership and left it overnight for them to replicate the problem. They applied a TSB to "fix it." So I was hopeful. This morning on the commute to work, the issue was worse than ever. The car is back at the shop again. I have to drive the car for them tomorrow morning so they can experience the issue....

It seems like this is a known issue that Ford should know about....

Interested to learn if others have found resolution to this issue??
    agreed! I hear the same BS here, 'has to learn'. discussing this intently with the dealership, Grogan Ford, here in Ontario. Check the LemonAid guide, they call it, gear hunting. The dealer is telling me it a programming problem, I agree. This is the 3rd time.
    I am telling them, this is not a ISSUE..its a PROBLEM, solve it!
    I wondering who does the programming, its not mac!
    we had bought 2008 escape same tranny, a dream to drive.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Manufacturer's are doing EVERYTHING possible to improve FE, taking long looks at WEIGHT. Transaxle sump volume minimized results in less ATF volume/weight/cost. When ATF is COLD there is not enough volume to support full functionality.

DO NOT OVERFILL...!

Overfilling will result in FROTHING of the ATF due to gearset partial immersion in ATF.

Try letting the engine idle for a few minutes before driving away and see if the functionality improves. If it does then you can tell the (st,d)ealer what the problem is.
    we do...we warm the engine for 2-3 minutes, or longer, depending on how cold it was. There is a problem with the tranny, a shaft. plus a gasket. This is NOT uncommon. Edmonds calls it, gear hunting.
    There should be no reason to fill the tranny that has only 40Km, and being an oil based fluid, it does take awhile to warm and therefore volume increases once the warmth.
    edited February 2012
    "..There should be no reason..."

You haven't dealt with very many beancounters....

If a partial ATF fill at the factory will be satisfactory for 98% of the buyers...

Even if not the above you could make a SURE bet that factory fills are NEVER above the minimum "required", "+" tolerances are NOT allowed.
    So I left the car overnight at the dealership and then went the next morning to drive it for them. They told me that they see what I'm saying about the shifting but that 1) other peoples are much worse 2) it's not "bad enough" for them to try to fix 3) that if I really drive it hard it won't do it as bad. Unfortunately, there are speed limits where I live....

I have a 2011 model as a rental car and loved it. This 2012 model is HORRIBLE.
    edited February 2012
    The Transaxle ATF pump, like the power steering pump, is a rather serious factor in the loss of overall efficiency regarding the need to improve FE. So far, unlike the PS pump, no adequate and/or inexpensive solution is as yet available.

So for the moment the interim solution for improving FE is to reduce the displacement volume of the ATF pressure pump while also reducing, in real time, the pressure "head" against which the pump must work.

While reducing the displacement will most definitely yield a return in improved FE, there is an obvious shortcoming....

In order to provide enough pressurized fluid in all cases the engine must operate, more consistently operate, at a higher RPM than otherwise would be the case.

You need to be something of a "lead foot".

So what the dealer was advising you was true, not to "bust" the speed limit but to accelerate up to that limit more aggressively. The transaxle will remain in the lower gear ratios for longer periods of time, ergo, consistently higher engine RPM.

Catch 22...?

Porsche is now using an electronically controlled variable displacement engine lubricating oil pump. Base displacement is high enough that adequate oil pressure volume can be supplied with the engine idling, and then "linearly" reduced in displacement volume as engine RPM rises.

Maybe that will be the eventual answer for the LOSSY ATF gear type pressure pump. Or maybe even a replication of the ABS pumpmotor/accumulator system.
    Hey wwest -- your explanation makes sense. just seems like a poor design to me. i guess once the engine (and therefore the trans fluid) heats up, there's more pressure so that explains why the issue goes away.
    if its under warranty, either go to another dealer! or talk with the manager. There IS problem with the transmission. ours had a sharp shift from 1 to 2..then at 25mph, it went gear hunting (check the lemonaid guide)...Mr. Edmonston is true in his predictions..

Its a bad on the tranny plus shaft.
    The dealership boys are Lazy,
    Parts from Asian...assembled with pride in Kansas.
    yes, it is a reality..harsh shifting @ low end, gear hunting about 20mph, then a slam into 3. The whole truck shuttered.
    had nothing to do with the tranny fluid. Its was a seal problem & shaft. But did check the tranny fluid.
    But realizing where the parts originate (off shore), and possible design of the part, I am keeping an eye & ear on this. The dealership was helpful, in this case. He could not assure me with 100% that is would not happen again.
    The dealership found Service Msg 22195, which states there is a shift hesitation between 2-3 gears, to do no further work on the vehicle to correct it, as it meets design intent at this point.....
  • taneekactaneekac Member Posts: 1
    Hi Mccomajl -

Unfortunately the situation does not get better. I bought my 2010 Ford Escape last year in Feb. It had a little over 19K miles on it... Granted for only being a year old it already had its fair share of miles on it. I work and live in the same city on the same street to be exact and live only within 5 miles of where I work. At 24087 miles I had already had enough at this point of the shifting issues. The problem that I was experiencing was I would be at a stop sign or light when I would start to drive and take my foot off the gas as I was turning left the Escape would hit so hard that it felt like someone hit me from behind... It almost gave me a heart attack. When I took it in the service guy said I think I might know what the problem is. Keep it here and I will call you when we are done looking at it. He said that there is a part within the transmission that needs to be rebooted and told how to drive. The same exact thing you were told. I thought wow we are driving computers now isnt this great! When I picked up my Escape he stated that this is in fact what the problem was and it should be fine. A little bit later not only did I experience the kick again I started having high RPM's just pulling out of my son's daycare it would go up to 4. I have noticed that I do not get good gas mileage either. So literally less than 800 miles later I took it back to them. All my issues with the transmission shifting is all under 40 mph... It used to only be under 20 but that has changed. Every time I take the Escape in they tell me that their machine does NOT detect any problems. So they decided to take it for a ride themselves and for 10 miles they came to the realization that I was not wrong that they see what I was talking about. So he reset the transmission again. I asked wow is this a normal thing... How much does this cost each time if I didnt have a warranty... The cashier said $150.00. Already Im thinking omg... What am I gonna do when my warranty up... And is there a recall out there? No recall:( Now I bring it home and still have all of the same issues... I bring it back the 3rd time at this point they keep my Escape for a week literally. And the mileage at this point was only 25161 and on 10/14/11... I havent even had the thing for a year yet... They said the machine did not detect anything again...I told them I am not crazy. They test drove it again and realized that something is really wrong with it... At this point they found the following only through driving... A flare on 3-4 R-R Trans to oh found od 4-5-6 worn clutches. At this point they said that they replaced the entire transmission hence the reason for keeping it a week. Now here we are March...I have been experiencing the same problems. On Tuesday I went to pick my son up from daycare when to get something to eat and then was on my way home only to come to a stop light and when I take off the car dies on my in the middle of the street I didnt even make it past the light. All the lights are on in the car and this orange wrench is showing lit up on the dash. I started the Escape and went to drive on to get home and it did it again not even a full 2 miles down the road. It happened a 3rd time a block later and at this point I knew I could not keep driving. I called a wrecker to come and tow me to the dealership. The next morning I went to the dealership and at 29475 miles I hear the machine says there is nothing wrong. I have had it at this point. I think I have a lemon and I am going to go about looking into the laws. I think Ford has a serious problem with the way that they make vehicles today and they are trying to hold on so bad that this is the way that they keep business rolling by having crappy cars. I would advise you to do the same as there is obviously something wrong with their transmissions and there is nothing that they can do to fix the problem. Good luck with yours!!
    we noted a neighbour who has a ford white van, is having the same problems. His work truck wont go into reverse.
    Ford is down playing this problem, until enough people complain. Perhaps made in Asian countries is NOT a good idea. bring the work back to North America.
    The bad news is that the Asian countries now have the lead in technology used to make the most FE vehicles. Obviously we have great need of that technology at the moment so we must cater to their wishes, buy/build Asian.

Meanwhile we will continue building BIG-[non-permissible content removed] high PROFIT pickup trucks.
    I noted that in the major manufacturers. Here in SW Ontario, Canada, a LOT of big [non-permissible content removed] trucks, does not seem to mind the higher gas prices here...$1.27/quart! or liter.
    I noted on my escape, assembly & built with pride in the USA, components globally sourced (aka cheap), off shore! No wonder my tranny is on the fritz. My neighbour business van, is a Ford, and its starting to have Tranny problem. 34,000km.
    I am supposed to have a 6spd, V6. I count only, 5 speed.
  • wenwewenwe Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: This is my 3rd Escape and sad to say it will most likely be my last. It has been nothing but a headache since I purchased it. Before I even made my first payment I was at the dealership with complaints and issues with the car. It revs up into 2-3 gear, the wipers would not work, the car would not start for a brief minute or two, and the radio would not turn on. All this within a month of purchasing it. Of course I am a girl and they are trying to tell me they can't find anything wrong with the car and I have been insistent that this car is going to do me in. I have told them that it is a LEMON!!! I have brought it in to the dealership a handful of times and I am so frustrated, that I have had it with them. The first time, they said there was nothing wrong per hooking it up to their computer. The second time, they still said there was nothing wrong but they changed the starter. That made me ask many questions due to they told me nothing was wrong. If nothing is wrong, then why change the starter. These days the radio does funny things sometimes, but the car revs constantly and when it does it scares the heck out of me. I loved my other two Escapes and never ever had a problem. The two that I had were a 2005 and 2008. I got them both from the same dealership, but the 2012 is from a different place. When you buy a new car it is supposed to be exciting and not be a constant headache. After reading all of your entries I am even more depressed than ever. My plan is to try and attemp to contact Detroit. They had an article recently about problems with the Ford Taurus and had a number to contact them in Michigan. Good Luck everyone with your SUV's!!!
    I agree! I noted the 2012 is not dif from my 2011, minor cosmetic changes. I am still unsure about the tranny. I offered a suggestion to ford dealer about the computer needs a new program, that was sloughed.
    As mentioned in previous posting: Globally sourced parts (read: cheaper the better, like Apple), assembled with pride in Kansas!
    you have to go to the regional manager to get any action IF your not satisfied with local dealership.
    my daughters 05 Sunfire tranny (GM) runs better than my 'brand new' Ford Escape.

they used to be made at the Mazda plant years back.
  • undertakeressundertakeress Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2011 2.5L 4cyl that I leased in April 2011..It also has been nothing but a headache with the trans (literally, when I hit my head on the steering wheel after it jumped gears.). Same thing, dealership was playing with the trans mounts?!?!!?!? I don't care.. I'm about at the point I'm gonna drive it into the Detroit river. I work at an auto parts store and almost all the people who have Escapes that are the 2.5L have the same problem. My dad worked for Ford and I've always owned Ford cars. I'm probably going back to the Mustang after this as it's also made 2 miles from my house. UGH
    we had that problem with our 2011-6cyl. The escape literally lurched. Its a software problem.
    keep an eye on it! we than had a loud clicking problem when changed from park to drive.
  • dymples69dymples69 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2012 ford escape that i have had not even 3 months now and i am having major issues with the vechile. the engine revs and the motor is extremely loud. Today the lights on the dash flickered and then the steering decided to not work causing me to hit the back end of the vehicle along the wall. I am very upset that I have a new vehicle that should not be having any issues and I am not comfortable driving it now that this happened today. I had a 2004 escape and never had any of these issues, I go and get a new suv and now have these issues. Is anyone else having steering issues? I also feel when driving the engine seems to want to hold back and jerk.
  • undertakeressundertakeress Member Posts: 3
    Yup, mine is doing that now, and I think the rear track bar (or control arms?) are creaking. It sounds like its going to fall apart. I just rolled over to 15100 miles... I'm fed up.
    post it on facebook, twitter. Public embarassment is great. Go to Ford.com, send them an email.
    ours here came back at ccran@ford.ca
    your could be different,,and they follow up.

sounds like a tranny problem.
  • shadescapesshadescapes Member Posts: 21
    did you return to the Dealership where you purchased-
    did you talk with the person you bought the vehicle from
    did you and that person visit with the service manager

I was a Ford Service Manager-
    if a person approached me with an issue and an attitude that would be one strike
    whether a call centre, or in person, Do not approach with attitude. you will get no wear. they sold you the car, but its under warranty. Use your common sense when talking to the dealership.
    They will not hand hold you.
  • gtashjiangtashjian Member Posts: 1
    I am having many issues and have done what you listed. It is the Ford dealership with the 'attitude'. A hole in the driver side seat on a 27,000 dollar car caused by a piece of metal sticking out and a frayed headliner are 'how the car is made'. How do I deal with that 'attitude'. The fact that you use the word attitude and talk about strikes against customers IS the problem I am having with my Ford Service Manager who has the same attitude.

I miss Saturn :(
    not uncommon! check another dealership. Parts are malaysian, but assembled with pride in Kansas.
    the point: you dont have issues, you have problems.
    contact service manager, if not go.
    ask the for boss..
    work your way up the food chain.

When the work is done, go over the car with a fine tooth comb. I amuse my daughters when I do that, but it works. All sort of screw up excuses come out of the salesmans mouth.
    sounds like you feel you bought a lemon and want your money back

if you feel the dealership and service manager aren't treating you like a normal customer post them
  • nellinelli Member Posts: 1
    I purchase my 2011 Ford Escape in February of this year and I have had to call roadside assistance two times in the last 3 weeks. My car will not start, I had the battery checked and they tell me it's 100% good also I have had the starter checked. The dealer told me that my battery is dead and they had to charge it up and it works. Well I believed it and it last only a couple of weeks and went to start my car again and it's dead. Has anyone had this problem? It only has 40k miles on it and after reading the reviews I am really not wanting to keep this car. Please help me if this has happened to anyone else.
    I have the same...mine was tranny!
    if it soundsl ike it is groaning when starting, thats the battery.
    the starter has a clicking sounds...the brushes are trying to connect.
    some dealers are bad, some are, well, helpful.
    edited July 2012
    can you go out and disconect the negetive battery cable- then in somewhat dark can you slowly lower that cable so it almost touches the battery terminal- you should see a spark perhaps

another thing I'd suggest- do you have a volt meter- set it on 12 volt DC- touch or connect the two wires to the battery and read the volts- start the vehicle and read the volts- turn on your headlights to bright- read the volts

if your battery is dead- charge it

something to ask- did they check the charging system- did they tell you what it is with and without the full lights on

let me know
  • 1016remey1016remey Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    I feel your pain....I leased a 2012 Escape in May, I have 2500 miles. It has been at the dealer 4 times for attempted repairs. I have issues with my steering (tight/resistance), car wandering while driving and the steering wheel off centered. I placed a call to the Ford Customer Relations.....waiting to here. I think I have a LEMON!
  • 1016remey1016remey Member Posts: 3
    Yes, my steering is very tight/resistance, my vehicle wanders while driving (feels like driving a boat), and the steering wheel is off center. I purchased my Escape in May and have about 2600 miles. It has been into the dealer 4 times and the problem continues. I am very frustrated and concerned about the steering. I called Ford Customer Relations to report the problem.....waiting to here back. Worried I have a LEMON.