Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2010 Equinox Fix for Engine Pinging?

jroman11jroman11 Member Posts: 1
Found this on GM Techlink site
April 2011 fix it right the first time update

hope this helps owners with pinging/engine knock problems

Model Year 2010 Equinox,Terrain

Vehicle Line / Condition

Detonation, spark knock and/or a rattle noise on light acceleration 1500 to 1900 rpm

Reference Information / Bulletin Number

Install latest ECM calibration PI0325

Comments

• Options
    rick622rick622 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had this ECM calibration performed at a Chevy service center? If so, did it fix the engine knock/detonation issue?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    rick622,

Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • Options
    shera469shera469 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Equinox with about 14,0000 miles. It started pinging before my last oil change. The mechanic drove with me and said the pinging was normal due to the output of the 4cyl. They also found a bulletin that you put an insulator on some engine part to quiet it down. Well, that did nothing but waste 1 1/2hr of my time waiting for this to be installed. Now my car pigs even louder at 1500-2000 RPMs and it sounds like an old 80's car with bad gasoline in it.
    I love my car but embarrassed to be driving it when I'm at the low speed due to the loud pinging noise. I'm thinking of trading it in if they can't fix it. Other then that the car is awesome. Did the ECM PI0325 fix the noise? Help!!
  • Options
    ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2011
    Since there never was a real answer to this one, I can confirm that the ECM update works. My 2010 Equinox developed the pinging early on. The first time I brought it in the dealer said they found nothing wrong. After a while, it got worse, so I brought it in again (in May, 2011) and specifically asked them to check that the most recent ECM program was installed. They did the ECM update, and the pinging went away and hasn't come back. (So far, I have driven over 7000 miles since the update.) The car ran and drove completely different when I picked it up, especially the transmission shift points and feel. But after a week or so, the car "re-learned" my driving style and went pretty much back to its usual feel.
  • Options
    librarylibrary Member Posts: 7
    Hello, I bought my 2010Equinox 6mos. ago and looked on here because of the 'pinging' problem. Found the answer to have the ECMcalibration done and that TOOK CARE OF THAT. But now a month after, it has trouble with hesitation, noticeable shifting just going down the road either at a high speed or low in town speed. I'm also getting worse gas mileage 23.4 compared to26 formerly and was hoping that would get better. Have had it in 1 GMdealer who said they could do nothing and now have another diagnostic appointment at another GM dealership in a bigger city hoping they can!! My vehicle has just turned32,000 miles...thank you..NEED. HELP. QUICKLY. ...THE VECHICLE JUST ISN't right!!
  • Options
    Hello, I'd like to have the 'tech link site' you found your answer on for my problem please since I've had no success in locating that online... Thank You.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2012
    I think this is the link. Not sure where you can get the actual bulletin.
  • Options
    Okay, yes, thank you....