Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Maintenance and Repair

singer44730singer44730 Member Posts: 1
Hi I got a 2004 Aveo like couple weeks ago and Now I am having engine trouble because my check engine light is blanking and it is missing bad(Miss Firer).I took it to a garage and the guy put a scope on it and here are the codes: PO300,P1781 and cylindar #1 aint getting no compassion and I replace the spark plugs and spark wires and it is still missing.Also my car has hardly no power at all.Need help?Heres my email Singer44730@yahoo.com

Comments

• kimbercorekimbercore Member Posts: 3
    has any one had any problems with their thermostat housing cracking at the seam?!?
    i own a '04 Aveo LS with 59K miles and that just happened 6 days ago
    the service advisor said that it's something that 'just happened'
    i was on my way to work and as i came to a stop exiting the freeway, steam/smoke just poured out from under my hood
    i got myself towed to the dealer, and days later they told me what had happened, and asked if i was overheated when it happened. I was not. I always watch my gauges, and that was acutally the first thing i looked at when the steam was coming out. I was sitting on neutral on the temp gauge.
    so i cant just seem to settle with the fact that the housing just cracked out of nowhere.
    i want to see if this is a common problem
    i have had SEVERAL problems with this particular car since purchasing it in '04 new.
    hope someone can help
  • pbolpbol Member Posts: 15
    I have read about this in an other forum,That the company went cheap and made the housing out of plastic,They are known to crack.Why they did not use simple metal like all other cars i have no clue,They must have no brains,This is the hottest part of the cooling system.
  • vbitterxvbitterx Member Posts: 3
    My housing thing just blew while I was driving across the California desert. There was no prior indication it was going to happen.. no smoke or sputter and the temp was even all the way from AZ. I got off for gas and when I went to return to the freeway, the whole front end of my car looked like someone threw a few water ballons at the car. It was strange. I went back to the gas station lot and waited for a tow 60 miles short of my destination.

I figured I blew the ratiator.. but noticed the hose a bit later after I stoped crying. :) such a wuss.

It an 04' Aveo with 48k. I thought it might have been my abuse on the car but Its a problem the aveo has.. I feel bad for the blue hatchback Aveo behind me.. they laughed. But they dont know.. they are next!! muu-hahahaha
  • luckinsluckins Member Posts: 63
    It's funny, every time I read about a problem that someone had with this car on this site, my car has that problem right afterward. Perhaps I need to stop reading posts in this forum.

My thermostat housing went at almost exactly 59,000 miles. I was on my way to the dealer anyway for an unrelated problem and maintenance. So, I was about half-way there when a big puff of white smoke surrounded my car. I pulled over right away and, at first, thought it was a hose. Since I was near about 3 auto parts stores, I was hoping that I could just get a new hose. But, I saw that it was a cracked housing and had to have it towed because only the dealer has that part.

I guess I should be glad that I read this thread because it didn't upset me nearly as much as it would have otherwise.

I asked for a metal housing (and I was willing to pay extra because I pass through the desert in the summer all the time), but they didn't make any. I noticed the day or two before something that looked like a leak at the seam, but I didn't see any coolant anywhere.
  • pdm123pdm123 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 chevy aveo and the housing busted and the thermostate fell out and the antifreeze ran out while i was driving on the freeway, there was no warning or light that came on. The only way that i new is the car started smoking and then lost pressure. The dealer said it was the housing had busted and caused the engine to burn up.

Help? what can be done to make the cheverlote company fix this problem. I have been readind other chevy. Aveo owners storys and they are like mine or similiar, this sounds like it should have been a recall.
    What can be done?
    Wow, I wish I could help because it's sounds bad. That part is not under warranty after the first 3 years, anyway. I was lucky, I hadn't gotten on the freeway yet and I pulled over immediately after seeing a huge cloud of white smoke. The temperature needle didn't go up at all.

I seriously think we should try to get GM or some other company to produce a metal thermostat housing. I don't know why this one was made with plastic, but it was a dumb idea. Maybe by the time they make aftermarket parts for this car, they will have a choice of a metal one.
  • 04aveosucker04aveosucker Member Posts: 4
    hello all, i have been reading the post here. i just wanted to say that i too have had problems with my 2004 aveo. let me first say that it was my 1st brand new car. i had always bought used. i wanted something nobody else had owned. i should have known it should have stayed at the dealer when i had to take back in 2 days. i was so careful and proud of my purchase. but when i noticed a crack in windshield right beside the seam i called them back. they told me to drive it back. by time i got there it was all the way across windshield. they did fix after i raised cane. after that i have had alot of problems with the car. most of why other owners got notices and warnings around here is because i complained loud enough. i have had strangers give me notices they received right ofter my problems. we would get to talking about each others aveo and i would just say i hope you havent had my problems. and they would say that must be why i got this letter. i hate being the first to learn. it has cost me over $3,000. so if anyone is serious about doing something about our daewoos with bowties, i would be more than happy to join a lawsuit or recall list. i have tried to get out from under the car, but the dealers now know just as much as the people on here and dont want them back. i feel i am stuck with the car. the reason i have started looking on here is to print out any info and get any leads or suggestions to make this right for me. i do feel like there is too much wrong with this model and want justice. thank you for reading and post any info that would be useful. :lemon:
  • franckarmelfranckarmel Member Posts: 1
    Please Help me! My 2005 Aveo is killing me. Too many repairs. Now I am flat broke and my thermostat just busted on me. May God forgive .
    GM for buying Daewoo. It was just greediness. I thought I had a brand new American, not a freaking Korean junk.
    well, at least that is a repair that wont cost much. if you are mechanicly incline at all, just buy part from dealer and replace yourself. we had to. i hope it didnt overheat on you thou>>>big bucks there! and whatever you do DON'T ASK WHAT ELSE IS GONNA GO WRONG!!! from experience, you will get an answer... :lemon:
  • tootal2tootal2 Member Posts: 13
    This one reason am afraid to buy 2008 aveo5. will the 2009 aveo have this problem?
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    You may want to talk with the service manager at your local dealer to see if he has had any in for this problem. Other than maybe three people here I don't recall ever reading about a thermostat problem on this car here or any other forum/blog.
    well i have! and other owners i talk to have also...don't you get it, the parts are plastic! it takes a little time/heat/wear and tear...and the trouble starts! :lemon:
    It's not a matter of getting it or not. Plastic parts are becoming more and more common place on auto engines nowadays and some cars have plastic valve covers as well. The issue with the thermostat is not very common especially here on this forum with only maybe 2 people bringing it up. Is this going to be a problem with every Aveo only time will tell. I would think that if it were wide spread than this would have to be a safety recall because leaking anti-freeze could potentially cause some kind of safety problem for a motorist not to mention engine problems.

I see you are new here since last month while I have been here 2-years and these are all new recent post issues. This is the cars 4th year here in the states not its first.
  • billhambillham Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2004 Chevy Aveo. Car has 62000 miles on it. So far.... it has been great. Getting 30+MPG. I am not able to contact the former owner to see if the Timing Belt has been replaced. Is there a way I can determine if the belt has been replaced?
  • tootal2tootal2 Member Posts: 13
    I would get it replaced. I think the last owner didnt want to replace it and traded it in for a new car. Thats what i would of done.
    I would say it is not likely the previous owner would replace the belt and then sell the car.
    well, mr or miss 2 year blogger...i dont sit around posting and reading. i have this problem out in the real world. i only got on here to see if there were any options for me. so congrats to you. you sound like a buffer. if you are so happy with the car, i will gladly sell it to you. and if you think its only been 2 people that this has happened to, think again. :lemon:
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Dude!!!

You need to chill out here!

OK, so you have had the thermostat housing problem, and its made of plastic. And, you would prefer that it be made from a stronger material.

Poncho167 didn't cause the failure...He was simply attempting to assist you by making suggestions as to what he might do in the same circumstances...

You may want to talk with the service manager at your local dealer to see if he has had any in for this problem. Other than maybe three people here I don't recall ever reading about a thermostat problem on this car here or any other forum/blog.

If this was anywhere the problem that you think it is, this forum would be covered up in postings about it. Don't believe it? Check out the transmission issues on the Toyota Camry forum. If there are widespread issues with a top selling automobile, Edmunds would be the place to "vocalize" them.

Now, I had an 05 Aveo hatchback as well, and no, I wasn't very happy with the car, and yes, I traded it. However, the one thing that I positively complemented the Aveo on was its drivetrain reliability, even though I thought (and still do) that is was a bit out-dated.

So, if you don't like the car/part/whatever, go take your frustrations out on the dealer and/or manufacturer. There is absolutely no reason to be a "jerk" to someone who is only trying to help.

By the way, did you ever do what Poncho suggested, and discuss the issue with the dealer? Or would you rather just be miserable and sit around bitching about it?
  • northerncedarnortherncedar Member Posts: 11
    From what I've read, even with the 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, you must do the following otherwise risk paying big bucks:

Have the timing belt checked at 30K miles, and have it replaced at 60K miles. Apparently the engine can get damaged if the belt broke.

Since warranty on the belt expired at the first maintenance service interval, apparently, unless it broke before 60K, you are on your own paying for it and any damages it causes.

Any comments?
    Have the timing belt checked at 30K miles, and have it replaced at 60K miles.

I could possibly understand the 60K mile replacement demand, but the 30K inspection demand? That's like an additional $750.00-1000.00 additional cost to keep the warranty in effect!

Is that correct?

So much for a warranty. I have never heard of that before. Maybe I need to get out more often.
    Apparently, eventhough not required, you should get the timing belt tensioner and waterpump replaced at the time of the timing belt change too (labor intensive otherwise), and that jacks the price up.
    I asked them since their 5yr/100K powertrain warranty excluded timing belt coverage after first "scheduled maintenance" which is 30000 mile, does that mean that they will not cover for engine damage from timing belt failture EVEN if you followed scheduled maintenance at 30K, 60K, and 90K?

They refused to give me a straight answer. Which basically they can refuse powertrain warranty at any point after 30K if your timing belt failed.

This is a bunch of BS! I can not recommend anyone buying the aveo because of this.
    I have also heard the recommendation about replacing the water pump at the same time you replace the timing belt.

I wonder if you are covered if you have a belt failure at 45K miles, and also had the 30K mile inspection...

Can anyone on this forum verify this information?
    I emailed GM customer service, and they were purposefully vague and avoided the question all together. I called the customer service number 4 times, the first time, it was hung up. The second time, the woman refused to give me her name, but stayed purposedly vague, and say she can't tell, and it is up to the dealership. The third time, I talked to a man, who couldn't answer me. He transfered me to a supervisor, Glen Kuniyuki, who told me that I have to speak to "marketing support". He said he was not the right department to discuss such issue. He said that he can't tell me if GM will fix the problem if it were within 100K and if I had done everything right with maintenance.

It seems like GM really doesn't want to put any backing to their 5yr/100K warranty when you ask them a black and white question.

I guess it is the chase after the mythical "Lifetime warranty". The closer you get to this "life time", the less likely you are going to get a definite answer on anything.

I guess if you are wise, you'd replace the belt at 60K, at 90K, and every 30K afterward. This belt can not be made to last.

It seems like it is not a problem with the belt, and it is an engineering problem with the engine.

Most likely, this engine will not last more than 120K..... If someone has an aveo that lasted more, please let us know.
    Replacement of the timing belt is a requirement on all engines equiped with such, so I am not surprised about that need. Some engines require it more often than others. As a consequence, the cost should be factored into the expected total costs of ownership when deciding to purchase.

However, it is a manufacturer's warranty, not a dealer's warranty, so GM should have a clear-cut answer for you.

Last of all, regarding the "lifetime warranty"...I have always assumed that meant "when it breaks, the lifetime is over", so you aren't covered...Seems that I was correct...
    Apparently they must have the timing belt glitch worked out, or found that the 30K timing belt check is a waste of money. The 2007 manual require the 30 K check, but the 2008 manual does not.

So the first service interval for the 2008 Aveo timing belt is 60K. Which means the belt is warranteed till 60K. Then it needs to be replaced.

What's funny is that they don't mention that the belt need to be replaced at 120K though. I guess they don't care if you blow up your engine once the warranty is up.

In my opinion, the belt should be replaced at 60 K, at 99K, and every 30 K after 100K. Seems like a big risk to let it run past 30K after the powertrain warranty is up.
    In my opinion, the belt should be replaced at 60 K, at 99K, and every 30 K after 100K. Seems like a big risk to let it run past 30K after the powertrain warranty is up.

I have always changed them every 50K miles in belt-equipped engines...an easy number to remember.

It seems a bit ingenuous to me to claim a 100K mile warranty, although you are required to perform moderate to major engine service work at 60 K miles. And, while it isn't exactly hidden from the buyer, it most certainly isn't stressed as a necessity...Of course, one could claim that all cars need "normal" maintenance (oil & filter, etc.), but I wouldn't think most buyers would think this would be a "normal" maintenance item.
    I think based on the vagueness of how GM customer service deal with their 5yr/100K warranty, I am going to make sure we take our Aveo to a GM service center at all the major maintenance points: 30K, 60K, and 90K. I really don't want them to reject a major claim if you did the maintenance yourself, or if you had Pepboy performing the activity.

I've read where Nissan refused a major engine repair which cost $5000 for damage to a Spyder's engine under warranty for timing belt breakage under 60K miles. The owner had taken it to a Pepboy center for the work, and Nissan said they weren't an authorized dealer. So even if the work is done by a certified mechanic using OEM parts, you can't count on them keeping their warranty if you didn't follow their rules.
  • oldleooldleo Member Posts: 1
    Hello, folks!
    Any suggestions for a reputable Goodwrench dealer/shop to perform the maintenance on my 2006 Aveo LS hatchback in the Buffalo, NY area?
    Thanks a lot.
    There is no glitch with the Aveo rubber timing belt that's any different from any other car on the market. Just follow the normal maintenance in the owners manual according to your driving habits. If you are one to drive a car hard than the belt may stretch out faster giving more wear and tear.

The rule of thumb with water pumps is to replace with the timing chain which is done at 100,000 miles because you will have everything apart at that time and it doesn't cost but another $30 for the pump. Now that most/all 4 cylinder cars have rubber belts the changing of the belt is in the 50-60,000 range. Is it necessary to replace the water pump on a four banger at that interval, probably not. I would definately change it at the second timing belt change. If the owners manual says to replace the pump at a specific interval than that is what id do.

The GM 5-year warranty will cover all engine and engine accessory problems for that period including a water pump as long as you follow warranty guidelines and have maintenance done and documented at specific intervals.
  • tomh4tomh4 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 05 aveo and it over heated last night, turns out I had the exact same problem.
    My thermostat housing looked like someone cut it perfectly in half.
    So I called around and I guess Its a dealer only part and being Sunday the stealers parts department Isnt open.
    I have an extended warranty and i guess i could try and have them tow it and fix it but it would take me two minutes to fix it myself so thats whats gunna happen tomarrow.
    It looks like the housing is two pieces glued together or somthing, it broke perfectly like it had a seam.
    I have a 05 aveo and it over heated last night, turns out I had the exact same problem.
    My thermostat housing looked like someone cut it perfectly in half.
    So I called around and I guess Its a dealer only part and being Sunday the stealers parts department Isnt open.
    I have an extended warranty and i guess i could try and have them tow it and fix it but it would take me two minutes to fix it myself so thats whats gunna happen tomarrow.
    It looks like the housing is two pieces glued together or somthing, it broke perfectly like it had a seam.
  • moortinmoortin Member Posts: 4
    I just had the same thing happen. It looks like it the housing just broke in half. I am going to try to replace it myself. Have others that had this problem had subsequent problems I should be looking for. Also, it is sounding like a pissed off weedeater--any ideas of what to look for?
    I have 130,000 miles on my aveo, but yes, the timing belt broke at 60,080 mile and has sounded like a pisssed off weedeater since then.It was covered by the warranty, due to a servie manager that kept going until they agreed. I had to shw that the scheduled maintenances were done. Also, the thermostat housing just broke in half this weekend. Still running though. I will be trading it off as soon as possible.
    Thats a fair amount of miles on an Aveo...Were there any other problems/issues that you had with the car?

Boy...80 miles over the recommended change interval...that's what I call close!
  • smk0926smk0926 Member Posts: 1
    This just happened to me last night. I just want to make sure I am doing this right, so does anyone have any directions or advice when replacing the housing? Thanks...
    It was really simple, get the part at your dealership. It goes right back on easy, other that wrestling with the hoses.
    It was very easy to put on it only took me like two minutes, u can put the hoses on first, it makes it easier.
    But their cheap plastic part could have cost me alot more, what if it got to hot and blew the head gasket or warped or cracked the head or block.
    Im sure Chevy would tell me I overheated it and Its not covered under warranty.
    My wife was driving when it happened and Im surprised she didnt just try and drive all the way home the way it was.
    I know Its a cheap car and I know chevy didnt even build it but this part sems to be a weak point in the cooling system, it couldnt hold a whopping 16lbs of pressure.
    Im sure someone has brought htis to their attention.
    They should have known glueing the thermostat between two plastic parts wasnt gunna hold long.
    I dunno I guess Im still pissed and needed to vent.
    POS chevy wannabe
    I am trading mine in as soon as possible. I am thinking about a Chevy Cobalt- but am going to research these same issues before I make up my mind. I have to drive 100 miles plus a day and don't want to be driving around with the damage probably incurred when this part broke. It was stupid to think glue would hold this part together.
    It sounds like this is starting to become an issue as of recent. I am positive GM would cover your engine if something serious were to happen especially if its maintained and under warranty. There may be other manufactures who refuse warranty service but GM is not known as one of them.
    I have driven both cars and the Aveo is nice for what it is in the sub-compact class. The Cobalt is a step up in size overall and is a nicer ride especially for long distance commutes. The Ecotec engines are arguably best in class and get great mileage. The new model has been out since 2005 so the minor kinks have been worked out. It is on the top of my list along with the Saturn Astra.
    I am waiting to see if the aftermarket manufacturers might put out an option of a metal thermostat housing in the future. At lest, that's what I am hoping.
    Dont hold your breath!
  • gene_fitzgene_fitz Member Posts: 9
    The 30K timing belt inspection is not an "at your cost" issue. If the dealership charges you for that, they are in the wrong. That comes under warranty service. And if the timing belt does indeed need to be changed, all you are required to pay is labor (under 60,000 miles).
    With that 30K inspection there is also an "all points" inspection, not much unlike the Certified Used inspection. This is the dealership's last chance to do any repairs covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. They also check the safety gear, cooling system, and other things that may lose coverage after 36,000 miles.
    This inspection is important. Above just making sure that your timing belt is in okay condition.
    Now, that being said. If you have the 30,000 mile check done, and the 60,000 mile replacement, your timing belt is covered to 100,000 miles under the powertrain warranty. This means, if your belt pops at 65,000 miles and totals your engine, GM has to repair or replace said engine at no cost to you under warranty repairs.
    If you do not have the belt checked at 30,000, OR do not have it replaced at 60,000, then if it goes at 65,000 miles and destroys your engine, the cost is all on you. The warranty is voided because of improper maintenance.
    Be smart, follow the book, and cover your rear.
    Better :) than :sick:
  • zebra111zebra111 Member Posts: 1
    WOW - it sounds like GM Customer Service has degraded the last time I worked for them in August 2007.

found this on the chevrolet.com site:
    Your vehicle concerns are important to us. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or feedback. To better address your comments and concerns, centers are open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).

From inside the U.S.:
    1-800-950-CHEV

Another - Call or Mail the Customer Assistance Center

From inside the U.S.:
    Chevrolet
    P.O. Box 33170
    Detroit, MI 48232-5170
    1-800-222-1020

But if you are truly working with the correct Customer Service, they should be able to give you a SR number - Service Request and should followup with the Dealership Service Manager about your concerns.

Though it is my understanding that all US centers were closed and all calls are being handled in Manila or Argentina.
  • thomaszthomasz Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem, but I'm not sure how I have solved the problem.
  • commuter8commuter8 Member Posts: 1
    The plastic thermostat on my 2005 Aveo also broke. I felt a slight vibration in the car, heard parts rattling in the engine and pulled over immediately to find fluid leaky from my car. No warning lights, no nothing until this happened. After taking it to the dealership it was determined that the cause of the thermostat breaking was due to the motor mounts shifting and causing the engine to drop (scary) and shift to the right. They fixed the mount, adjusted the engine to its normal position and then replaced the thermostat housing with a Metal one!
  • arichinsarichins Member Posts: 2
    I just had my thermostat housing bust last week, I was able to get a new part from the dealership, the part cost $90 bucks and was made of metal. The metal part looks to be a lot more durable than the plastic that busted. Installation was a cinch and took under 30 minutes.
    I just had my thermostat housing bust last week, I was able to get a new part from the dealership, the part cost $90 bucks and was made of metal. The metal part looks to be a lot more durable than the plastic that busted. Installation was a cinch and took under 30 minutes

Well, if nothing else, its good to see GM reacting positively to correct what may become a larger issue as the Aveo ages. A recall would be nicer, though...even though the plastic housings appear to survive the warranty period in most of the pre-extended warranty Aveos...
  • rainwaterrainwater Member Posts: 1
    Today, we experienced this problem. My mother and I went to go play tennis at the courts which are about 2 miles from here. We smelled a burnt antifreeze type smell. NO indicator lights came on at all and the temperature gage was neutral. When we arrived at the courts, we lifted the hood, and out came smoke. It looked as if something had been spewing all inside the hood and over the engine and even the passenger side head light. The reservoir tank was empty. We filled up the tank with water, which is all we had, and played tennis. An hour later, we drove back home (approx. 2miles). As we reached the driveway, the temperature gage was heading up to hot. As we parked the car, it reached the red zone. We lifted the hood and smoke bellowed out. The same smell was there. A friend came over to check the car after it cooled for about 3 hours. We used the water hose and filled up the tank, and the water came pouring out, where the housing was split in two.
    We are replacing tomorrow at home, but does anyone know if any other damage was done by driving it home?