Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Brakes still OK after 130K?

buttonsrtoysbuttonsrtoys Member Posts: 1
I have a 2001 civic. I thought I heard some brake scraping, so I checked the front brakes. They're original, so after 130K and 10 years I thought they'd be shot, but they still have a lot of meat on them. Maybe 3/16".

Is that normal for civic brakes? I've never had car brakes last more than 100K, but they were 1980s vintage cars, so maybe I'm living in the past?

I haven't check the rear drums, mostly b/c the fronts usually go first, but does this rule of thumb still apply, or should I have a look at them, too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    At 130K miles? Treat the car to new brakes all around. It is not only "not normal" for Civic brakes (or any brakes) to last that long but it is to me a "Ripley's believe or not" moment. You must live somewhere in the rural midwest, great plains, area where it is billiard table flat and stop signs are 100's of miles apart. Either that or you abhor braking period!! Seriously, brakes generally do not last nearly that long but about 40K is considered good. That is just me but a friend owns a small garage and brakes are considered a comeback item. I.E. customers routinely bring their cars back to have them replaced. According to him the new composition of brakes, without asbestos, don't even last as long as those with. However, asbestos has been banned for many years already and all new pads/shoes are non-asbestos. Seriously...130K??? Change em'
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Why change them?

If they have plenty of lining left there is no point.

This must be one gentle driver in a place without hills or traffic!

But, we are in the Seattle area with TONS of traffic and lots of hills and the brakes on our 2003 CRV with 57,000 miles still have more than half of the original lining left.
  • Options
    pedicord89pedicord89 Member Posts: 1
    We just replaced the front brakes on my 98 Civic this summer and I have approx 115,000 miles on it...there was actually a bit of wear left too!!
  • Options
    evped2evped2 Member Posts: 21
    I have 109,000 miles on my '08 Civic and still have the original brakes. I live in New England.