Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Silverado, POOR mileage, surging, no check engine light

2»

Comments

• Options
    ceb66ceb66 Member Posts: 70
    daninrapidan,

Check the transmission forum on this site for very, very similar issues.

Potential General Motors' truck buyers; test drive these trucks extensively at 45 mph and see if they clunk lag growl or bang as the active fuel management moves from 4 to 8 cylinders.

Check for slop in the rear end.

Let us know if you're told "it has to adjust to your driving habits." Right from the GM "play book"!
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Yes,
    Please test drive them. They are a great value. In most major markets $10,000.00 discount off sticker is very common. GM sold over 50,000 units (Silverado/Sierra) in September of this year. The YTD totals so far are 410,381 units!
  • Options
    daninrapidandaninrapidan Member Posts: 5
    Im not interested in your comments Chuck, stay off my post. Glad you are happy with your Silverado, I am not..... Your comments are NOT helpful, in fact they are down right annoying... You're hawking these threads like you personally build these things and are upset there are people with LEGITIMATE complaints. Customer service has gone down hill in not only GM, but most major companies... Im tired of paying the price for someone else's shortfall, and corporate greed. I work very hard for my pay.

If you are so happy, start your own thread saying so, Im sure you can find at least 12 others that will agree with you. Furthermore with the hundreds of review, and forum web sites with these problems being discussed, if there were only 12 per site, thats still alot of unhappy people...

In manufacturing there's typically 5-10% of a product that does not work properly. Thats where customer service comes in to play ... making those people happy again. To be dismissive is not a correction, but a cover up.

Enough said, Im getting rid of my silverado at a very high cost to me.

Lesson learned

• Options
    string2string2 Member Posts: 71
    edited October 2012
    Let us know if you're told "it has to adjust to your driving habits." Right from the GM "play book"!
    =====================================================

Hey ceb66,
    I was told "the trucks computer system has to learn your driving habits" the first time I took my 2011, 1500 crew cab into the dealer at around 1700 miles. The AFM wasn't allowing the motor to drop back to 4 cylinders above about 65 MPH on level highway. It now has about 12,500 miles on it, and it still hasn't learned my driving habits. Every time I talk to them, they come up with some other reason why it won't work, including "it's working normal"
    I went over to the used truck dealer and drove two just like mine. One had 46,000 miles on it, the other 16,000. They both drove just like mine (which is different than the 2011 Silverado Manual explains). It explains that these vehicles should operate in v4 AFM mode well above 70 MPH on flat lever highway, at steady speed without an excessive load (Full details can be found in GM's shop manual)
    These truck computers must be real slow learners, but I'm afraid mine will need to be put in the Insane Asylum (pretty soon).

$34,500 for a truck that gets 15 MPG in town & 16 on the Highway. Talk about getting screwed!!!!!
  • Options
    ches31ches31 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2011 gmc 1500 I have been back 5 times to the dealer for brake problems and truck shaking from the rear. I have had it. I should have spent the extra money and got the ford. I have filed with the state under the law. Nice looking truck but I am done...
  • Options
    chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    The AFM will not come on well above 70mph. That's about when it cuts off. It will not come on at 75 unless going down a hill.
  • Options
    Please read my post again,

I went over to the used truck dealer and drove two just like mine. One had 46,000 miles on it, the other 16,000. They both drove just like mine (which is different than the 2011 Silverado Manual explains). It explains that these vehicles should operate in v4 AFM mode well above 70 MPH on flat lever highway, at steady speed without an excessive load (Full details can be found in GM's shop manual)
    ====================================================

My point was that the GM 2011 Silverado Owners Manual does not indicate there is a speed that AFM should quit working. Also, GM's shop manual Document ID # 1995547 explains in detail the parameters for the AFM to work properly. With everything working properly, the AFM should be working if the engine speed is between 700 and 2800 RPM's. That's if you are running on flat highway at a steady speed and not pulling a load. My 5.3 engine turns at 17 - 1800 PPM's at about 70 MPH. Of course, that's in V8 since it won't change into v4 mode above about 65MPH without going down hill or taking my foot off the gas. If I keep it at the hwy speed limit of 70 mph it wont change unless there is a low spot in the road. That's why I'm only getting 16 MPH on the road. The other two used trucks I test drove did not work at 70 miles per hour either.
    On the open highway is when the AFM really needs to be working to get the EPA estimated gas mileage shown on the window when you buy the vehicle.
    GM had one of their engineers look at my truck and said "it's working normal" and they will not correct it?? BUYERS; LET THIS BE A WARNING, (This problem will not trip a trouble code) MAKE SURE IT WORKS AT 70+ mph BEFORE YOU BUY! If the AFM works at 70 MPH in cruise control on level highway-buy it. It will probably be one that works like it should. The six or seven that I have tested do not. I hear there are some that work like they should.
    I have explained the complete details in previous posts.
    Mine is not getting any better at 12,500 miles. I'll be trading mine off this week. It's a good truck if you don't mind the mileage, I just can't afford it at 15 MPG City & 16.1 (Pure Hwy miles). Do your homework and Good Luck!
  • Options
    chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    edited October 2012
    String
    Seriously I am glad you are in a position to finally off load your truck. I know it has been a source of irritation for you. If you don't mind me asking-what will be your next vehicle?

I am assuming it will not be another truck because most get no more than 15 or 16 around town and no more than 20 on the highway-since your issue really boils down to gas economy.

In addition I have over 3000 miles of open highway cross country trips and 20 mph is very acheivable-but the AFM WILL NOT come on above 70-75mph. I don't care what the shop manual says or your short test drives on the highway. You can validate your decision to trade in your truck anyway you want. The sales tax and license you will end up paying will buy quite a bit of gas-especially considering you obviously are not driving a lot of miles.
  • Options
    I am assuming it will not be another truck because most get no more than 15 or 16 around town and no more than 20 on the highway-since your issue really boils down to gas economy

=====================================================

Chuck,
    Thanks for wishing me well. I would not be selling my truck if I would have gotten 20+ MPG as the window sticker showed when I bought it. I normally drive a vehicle for a long time and 15 city and 16 hwy. is no good, too me anyway. That's not what I bought and that's not what I want. As you state above. I shouldn't have any trouble finding one that will get at least 20 MPG on the hwy.
    If GM won't correct this problem, what else will they deny if I have another problem in the future?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    String-
    Please consider the following:

6000/miles a year (assuming HALF your 12,000/yr miles driven will be highway)

6,000/miles a year divided by 16mpg=375 gals of gas 375x$4.00/gal for gas=$1,500.00

6,000divided by 20mpg=300 gals of gas 300x$4.00/gal for gas=$1,200
    Assuming 10 year ownership

1,500.00 x 10/years=$15,000.00
    1,200.00 x 10/years =$12, 000.00

So this is what your talking. The truck is getting it's rated city, you knew that going in. The truck isn't getting it's rated highway (which you didn't know). It looks like an emotional decision-it doesn't pencil out financially-IMHO.
  • Options
    Please consider the following:

6,000/miles a year divided by 16mpg=375 gals of gas 375x$4.00/gal for gas=$1,500.00

6,000divided by 20mpg=300 gals of gas 300x$4.00/gal for gas=$1,200
    Assuming 10 year ownership
    ==================================================

Chuck, it's not as bad as you are showing
    I have been driving my old car instead of the Silverado much of the time. I would normally drive around 15,000 per year. My Silverado overall gas mileage is so bad that it loses around 4 miles per gallon for each gallon used. (sometimes it gets closer to 14 MPG city.)

Miles per year - 15,000 @ 16 MPG = 937.5 gallons
    15,000 @ 20 MPG = 750 gallons
    _____
    difference of 187 gallons x $3.50 = $690 approx. per year x 10 years = $6,900

That’s roughly $7,000 more for me to drive the same truck you're driving in the same time period. I didn't count on that when I bought it.
    However, if I had as much money as you seem to, I might not mind throwing it away for the pleasure of driving this fine truck.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    String-all your driving is not done on the highway though. So you can't figure the total 15,000 annual drivng as being on the highway. The mpg difference is on the highway. So the difference in mpg is on the HIGHWAY ONLY.

My mpg in the city will go down to 14mpg under the right conditions. Heavy traffic, high temperature, idling, etc.

The sticker for city says 15/city
  • Options
    edited October 2012

So that $7,000.00 would be $3,500.00

If you bought a replacement vehicle for $25,000.00 then at 6% (tax,lic.,etc.) your total will be $3,750.00 in taxes.

Where are the savings? We are not even talking about depreciation and such on another vehicle.
  • Options
    daninrapidandaninrapidan Member Posts: 5
    10/27/12

Sold my Silverado back to the selling dealer and purchased a Ford. 16K Loss, but Im happy, and no hesitations / surging. I had a co-worker drive the truck back to Chevy from the Ford dealer, a 42 Mile drive from where I purchased the Ford. He had no idea why I was getting rid of the truck until he drove it. By the time we got there he was extremely annoyed at the performance of this truck, and said he would never buy a Chevy truck after driving this one.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new truck. Your happy that is all that matters!
  • Options
    So that $7,000.00 would be $3,500.00

If you bought a replacement vehicle for $25,000.00 then at 6% (tax,lic.,etc.) your total will be $3,750.00 in taxes.

Where are the savings? We are not even talking about depreciation and such on another vehicle.
    Thanks Chuck for the info,
    I live just outside the Houston city limits. We have lots of freeways and beltways around Houston.
    I guess I am referring to "City Mileage" the wrong way. Probably at least 60% of what I am calling city mileage includes high speed Loop and Beltway miles. I guess it should be classified as City & Highway combined to get that 15 MPG. Strictly slower (city street) speed driving would be less.
    The 16 Mpg is filling up at the gas station and getting directly on the Interstate taking a 300 mile trip. That adds up quick!
    Also, in Texas the vehicle sales tax is 6.4%, which is $1,600 on 25,000. However, if you finalize your negotations with the vehicle dealership, then see if they can meet your best acceptable offer from elsewhere. Here in Texas you won't have to pay taxes on that amount if you you use it as a trade in on the vehicle you are buying. You would only have to pay taxes on the difference between your trade-in amount and the new vehicle price. So, the way I see it, my previous post is still valid.

I think I'll be happy to quit feeding that Chevy gas guzzler too!

Thanks for all your help, and good luck in your crusade of support for General Motors
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    That's a good deal on the tax. Yea, I incorrectly calculated the taxes on the 25Grand. It looks like the mpg difference could make it worth while then. So I am assuming you will be looking at a Crossover or car?

You never mentioned anything about the need for towing.
  • Options
    I got rid of my RV, but I still have the rental properties, so I won't need a full size truck. I'm thinking about maybe a crossover. Possibly a Honda Crosstour V6 to pull a trailer very infrequently. The're good up to about 1,500 lbs. Do you know anything about them, other than how ugly some people think they are?
  • Options
    lesbolesbo Member Posts: 2
    According to a leading consumer magazine (you know who I mean), here is a quick sample of rated and actual mixed MPG in their tests.
    EPA Overall/mixed actual
    Silverado 5.3L 14/21 14
    Tundra 5.7L 14/18 15
    F150 5.0L 14/19 15
    F150 3.5L eco 15/21 15
    Ram 5.7 13/18 14

You can draw your own conclusions. I have a 2011 5.3 L and get about 15 MPG.
  • Options
    Hondas are good cars. I just traded in an '07 Honda Accord EX-L w/the 4 cylinder that was flawless and had 102K on it., but needed an AWD car for the winter.

The dealer gave me $12,000.00 for it. I traded it in on a new 2012 Subaru Legacy Limited.

As far as the Crosstour-I cross shopped that with the Subaru because I already had the Accord and it could be had with AWD. To be honest, I felt they were over priced for a vehicle which is admittedly a poor seller.

From a reliability standpoint I would recommend them. From a eye appeal and resale (Honda will tell you they are a Honda they have good resale-but the fact remains they don't sell very many at all) value standpoint I would stay away. The choice is yours.
  • Options
    According to a leading consumer magazine (you know who I mean), here is a quick sample of rated and actual mixed MPG in their tests.
    EPA Overall/mixed actual
    Silverado 5.3L 14/21 14
    Tundra 5.7L 14/18 15
    F150 5.0L 14/19 15
    F150 3.5L eco 15/21 15
    Ram 5.7 13/18 14

You can draw your own conclusions. I have a 2011 5.3 L and get about 15 MPG.
    Thanks [non-permissible content removed],
    Man that sucks! EPA might as well shut down if they can't do any better than that.
  • Options
    That mpg figure for the Ecoboost is a big disconnect on what is being reported over on most Ford Eco-Boost forums....it's higher.
  • Options
    As far as the Crosstour-I cross shopped that with the Subaru because I already had the Accord and it could be had with AWD. To be honest, I felt they were over priced for a vehicle which is admittedly a poor seller.
    ===================================================

Chuck, thanks for your info.
  • Options
    adam11788adam11788 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    I have a 2012 silverado 4x4 with the 5.3L and Afm only activates going down hill. I average 12mpg around the city and on my straight trip to orange tx I averaged 17 after adding a programmer. all 400 miles were at 70mph. My truck surges really bad when slowing to a stop I'm guessing its the Afm kicking off. Before the programmer it'd average 11 in city and 16 highway. I feather the throttle and watch the instant mileage to keep it high as I can. That's doing the math at the pump. Now have 12,000 miles on it. Completely stock minus dual exhaust. I'm extremely disappointed had I known this I would have bought a tundra which is what I really wanted being they beat the Chevy in everything. Way more power. Only reason I steered away from the tundra is the crappy mpg which turns out the silverado gets just as bad or worse. It's not that it gets such bad mileage what pisses me off, it's the false advertisement. This will be my last gm
  • Options
    And the Tundra would have cost you $5.000.00 to $7,000.00 more which in of itself will buy ALOT of gasoline.
  • Options
    silverado1501silverado1501 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I was given "Reduced Engine Power Message" last night.

I could not go more than 10mph up hill and no more than 30mph on flat ground.
    The bed was empty with just the family seated in the car. I was worried.

SOLUTION: Chevy has issued a "soft recall". There is an official letter letter that states Chevy knows of the problem, BUT WILL NOT FIX IT UNLESS YOU ARE SOL. Chevy will cover the problem, should it arise, for 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever arrives first. It involves the throttle body and the computer that regulates it.

I am not happy, my vehicle is "sick", but at least Chevy should fix it for free.
  • Options
    what is sol???
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    silverado1501,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I cannot guarantee anything but we would like to look into this for you. Please emails us at www.socialmedia@gm.com referencing this thread.

Sincerely,

Jennifer T. (Assisting Amber)
    GM Customer Care
  • Options
    donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    "SOL"= "S**T Outta' Luck" where I come from. :shades:
  • Options
    What size motor is the soft recall for?