Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Terrain Real World MPG

2»

Comments

• nox123nox123 Member Posts: 76
    I agree...I also wonder why owners / unhappy buyers would come here to vent and trash talk; I would be taking my serious issues directly to vehical dealer / manufacture. However, I enjoy the vehical feedback and owner concerns many other owners express on Emounds.

Just purchased my 2nd GM SUV 2013 Terrain 3.6 V6. Would appreciate any feedback from 2013 GM owners; will be posting my 2013 3.6 V6 experiences forging forward.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Ours had not been getting expected MPG lately and had me wondering.
    I had also noticed some UN-expected temperature changes in HVAC system .

I was a little suspect and thought the A/C system was being used when it shouldn't have been (auto-climate off/A/C off/recirc off/defrost off/last setting off.)

on a trip one weekend I decided to test with everything A/C related off. Set the cruise to 56MPH on a flat road and reset D.I.C. display. After 80 miles or so aver MPG was 24.5.

On a similar trip the following weekend (pretty much same weather/driving conditions) I attempted to shut HVAC system off completely (pushed fan button to shut it down) and aver MPG jumped to 27.3 .

Took it in to dealer to check and they found no codes or bulletins (somehow it appears they missed PI-0666 which talks about UN-expected temperature changes ). They did however redo the HVAC programming and I think its better (but hard to tell in heat wave we are having that really requires A/C usage).
  • technojunkie1technojunkie1 Member Posts: 4
    I guess I am one of the lucky ones by some peoples comments because I can get 27/28 on the HWY with air and avg speed of 72 (using cruise wherever possible). My around town is 25/26 with AC on. I am not in any way happy as GM used the 32MPG rating in all of their ads. They never tell you that the avg speed of the HWY test was 45. For anyone to say that is great mileage for that size vehicle then I say enjoy the ride. The problem is, the mileage is being misrepresented to the public in all their advertising.

As for ECO switch, I find that the HWY mileage improved when ECO is OFF. On the other hand for around town with ECO mode ON I get the 25/26. What I do not understand is how it operates. The manual does a poor job of explaining it. So why doesn't the computer just doesn't optimize mileage without that switch?

Still disappointed Terrain owners were flat out lied to.
    Please...these listed MPG estimates have been over-rated by all manufactures...Anyone that is looking to get 30 MPG and higher needs to be looking at the Smart Cars not a 2-ton mid size truck / SUV. I have also seen up to 28 MPG @ 75MPG on road trips with my 2010 4cyl Nox and could probably get 32 + MPG @ 55-60 MPG with a 4cyl Nox / Terrain...I just completed a 200 mile road trip in a newly purchased 2013 Terrain 301 HP V6 and averaged 26.8 MPG @ 70 MPH running AC. I expect the MPG to improve a little in next 5 to 10k miles like most new vehicals. Its like going to a party; you can sit in the corner and be critical or make the most of it and enjoy life; it is what it is!
  • bwall2bwall2 Member Posts: 30
    I don't think we are venting; we are stating the facts. The auto does not do what the estimated mpg is - 32 is way out of the question. Maybe you would get that going downhill with the engine off.

I am sorry - but taking it to the dealer does not mean anything. The dealer did a "consumption test" on my vehicle. They (Star GMC, Quakertown, PA) said it was doing 38.8 mpg - yes, 38.8 mpg. I asked them where the gas is going since the best it has ever done is 27.4 mpg. They assured me I am getting 38.8 mpg!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi technojunkie1,

We're sorry to hear that you aren't completely satisfied with your current fuel economy. If you need any additional tips or insight, please let us know, and we'll try and help.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    edited July 2013
    If I can post a link so that it works, there is some info on how ECO mode works if you scroll through it, may be more then whats in the manual

eco

I can't complain about advertised mileage as I find it pretty easy to beat when on highway and to a certain extent secondary roads, same as my last 5 vehicles I've owned
    That is just plain non-sense; even if you had dealers est MPG in writting who cares the 4cyl Nox will never get 38.8 and anyone with common sense knows. Someone was just having fun at your expense and now you are taking the nonsense to another level....Let hear about your vehical reliability, Miles on Vehical; how often you have dealer service "Oil & Filter drive line Etc, Any Warranty work preformed by dealer Etc
  • technojunkie1technojunkie1 Member Posts: 4
    Ray 80. It appears you have the V6 and are happy that those numbers are spot on with your experience. The problem is the 4 Cyl and it's highly touted numbers that cannot be achieved.

NOX123 As for other topics being discussed in this thread this is not the place for it. If it is not related to mileage start a new thread.

Amber from GM, Thank you taking the time to read our complaints. I am through with the nonsense of talking to the dealers who do not have a solution. Your mileage ratings are bogus. Please let us all know when a repair bulletin is issued that will get us to where GM promised and I will be sure to get in contact with the dealer and get mine fixed. In the mean time I will keep my gas receipts for the class action suit.
  • aray5aray5 Member Posts: 6
    Good luck finding a GM customer service rep who "cares." I spoke with 3 and then a regional rep. Not one of them could give me any satisfaction. Two were quite foreign and couldn't even decipher what I was telling them. The regional rep called and when I got to the phone it was too late. I immediately returned the call and had to leave a message to which I never got a return call. One thing I find too coincidental is that many Terrain owners have had other vehicles (even GM vehicles) that actually got the posted MPG, so how is it that the posted MPG on the Terrain is so far off??? I did finally get 27MPG a couple of times, but I've also gotten 18MPG around town which is far lower than the 22 posted on the sticker for in-town driving.
    Hello Bernie...Please you know 38.8 is non-sense; 32.0 MPG is the absolute best MPG driving in ideal conditions at probably 55mph! I have averaged 28.0 MPG on road in florida running A/C @ 75 MPH "no hills" and cruise set. However around town 24.0 was about the best and not bad concidering conditions and weight of truck / SUV. Now tell everyone how you have maintained your GM since inception, how many miles on truck, any issues and how they were resolved by dealer Etc.
    I think I will stay right here; and weed out the nonsense and threats to GM! I happen to own many GM vehicals including a new 2013 3.6 V6....Its a on line party and I'm having fun!
    This auto has oil changed every 3000-4000 miles. Tires rotated 7500 miles. Air pressure checked every month. Washed at least once a month. 29000 miles on vehicle. Dealer fixed some type of injector when it completely quit on the road - first vehicle that ever quit on me while driving. Some kind of noise in rear of vehicle that they have not figured out. Now there is some vibration when it first starts; quits after a few minutes.

Anything else you would like to know? Received a call from GM yesterday; said they would like to check on the 38.8 mpg that dealer said it was doing. Nice lady but I am sure there is not much they can do with vehicle. We all know it will not do 30 mpg going downhill with a tailwind.
    Surprise - and I thought it was true! Of course it is not the case - and we are not all hills here. Why does my Toyota Camry get the sticker mileage after 99000 miles on it? And this is a terrain not a nox (assuming you mean equinox).
    Beacuse the Camry is not geared or weight like your truck / SUV...You need to consult with a Red Hill or Q-town local that understands..The GMC dealer in Doylestown or Perkaise would be a good place to start..Or try the Smart Car Dealer if your looking for 40MPG...Do Not consult with the 2-Ton Truck Dealer for great MPG ! Please !!!
    WOW...You sound like your doing all right stuff; incuding Washing the SUV! Great Job; You should most defintly be getting close to 40 MPG!!!
  • ctillery3ctillery3 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    i have driven a equinox and a terrain. when they post the mpg on the sticker, it is a guess assuming that if you are buying an economy car, you are going to drive economically. the issue with this is that people buy an economy car and expect to get good mpg with bad driving habits. in my equinox i could get up to 43 mpg when i was trying but i never got below 26 mpg, even driving through the mountains i could maintain at least 27 mpg. its not just the car that gets the mpg, its the driver too.
  • aray5aray5 Member Posts: 6
    Our Terrain was over $30,000. Idon't think it would fit the category of an "economy" car. Maybe your Nox is a 4-cylinder straight to be able to get that kind of mpg, because no one on here besides you has said ANYthing about getting over 40mpg. All we want to get is close to 30 mpgs...
  • jel959801jel959801 Member Posts: 2
    I decided to downsize from my 04 Expedition when gas prices started going up. Little did I know that my Terrain wasn't going to do much better. I do not drive aggressively and am barely getting better mileage than I did in the Expedition. My EX was a 4X4 V-8, my Terrain, admittedly the V-6, but FWD. I AVERAGE 16.7 in town and 20.6 on the highway! I currently have 28,000 miles on it and in the past month, the mileage has dropped even more. Interestingly, it has also started having a TON of issues: gauges, Radio, liftgate, transmission, the list goes on and on. A coworker who has the same year, different model has had no issues, other than the gas mileage, his is better than mine, but he has the 4, and has over 60,000 on his!
  • jel959801jel959801 Member Posts: 2
    Forgot to add that my T is the SLT-2, fully loaded... has had the oil changed/tires rotated every 6-7K miles, per my dealership recommendations, and has been well taken care of.
    My 2013 Terrain 3.6 V6 is averaging 19mpg around town city driving and up to 26 mpg on road trips. Concidering the weight of SUV/Truck not bad MPG.

I also owned a 2010 4cyl Equinox which averaged 22.5MPG up to 28MPG depending on my driving. However; you sacrifice the horse power for the MPG with the 4cyl. and not as smooth as the V6.

The newer optional 3.6 V6 300HP is a smooth running engine and will really get up and fly if you like the power and aren't overly concerned with MPG.
    If you are concerned about the internal lubrication for you engine; you should not be exceeding 5k for oil changes; which I believe GM reccomends.

I have my oil & filter changed at dealer @ 3500 miles, First oil change @ 2000 miles due to breaking in new engine. The oil changes are cheap insurance in the event of driveline failure; my warranty is going to work for me.
    The MPG appears to be better after the HVAC re-do on ours. I suspect the problem began after using auto-climate control for a while then shutting it off ( I believe although switched off if may have still been active). I might wonder if some with poor MPG might have the same situation without knowing it .
  • greekhousewifegreekhousewife Member Posts: 1
    This may be old news, but I am forever trying to figure out a way to get some satisfaction out of "false advertising" on GMC's part on my 2011 Terrain. I just spoke with their Customer Service. I live in San Diego and get only around 17 (yes 17) city and if we are lucky 21 highway! The supervisor I spoke with told me the same robotic explanation as what is on here and probably everywhere else. I live in San Diego! I have no weather or road conditions to speak of! Give me a break. Then she had the gall to tell me it was my driving. I cannot believe it. Maybe time to see a lemon law attorney? I will NEVER buy another GM car again! Our next car will be a Prius or some electric or hybrid.

This may be old news, but I am forever trying to figure out a way to get some satisfaction out of "false advertising" on GMC's part on my 2011 Terrain. I just spoke with their Customer Service. I live in San Diego and get only around 17 (yes 17) city and if we are lucky 21 highway! The supervisor I spoke with told me the same robotic explanation as what is on here and probably everywhere else. I live in San Diego! I have no weather or road conditions to speak of! Give me a break. Then she had the gall to tell me it was my driving. I cannot believe it. Maybe time to see a lemon law attorney? I will NEVER buy another GM car again! Our next car will be a Prius or some electric or hybrid.

Old news and new news, Not at all difficult to find those that have trouble getting sticker mileage on almost every vehicle, even the slight more realistic number in fine print at bottom of sticker. As with most of the M vehicles I've had its pretty easy to beat highway mileage on ours with a little effort.

Do you have the 4cyl or 6cyl? FWD or AWD? Have and used auto-climate control?
  • lagrastalagrasta Member Posts: 1
    Wanted to like the Terrain so much so, purchased for the stated MPG to offset our 1998 Chevy Astro. Turns out, hardly any better. Instead of 26/32, it's 19/26. To top things off, it uses oil, about a quart every 1,000 miles, no lie.
    lagrasta said:

Wanted to like the Terrain so much so, purchased for the stated MPG to offset our 1998 Chevy Astro. Turns out, hardly any better. Instead of 26/32, it's 19/26. To top things off, it uses oil, about a quart every 1,000 miles, no lie.

What year Terrain, bought new or used?