Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC60 Extended Factory Scheduled Maintanence

beafokbeafok Member Posts: 14
For 2010 XC60 owners, I'm sure you all enjoy the 5 yrs / 60,000 miles free factory scheduled mainatence program, since essentially it covers everything: Oil and oil filter, engine coolant, power steering and washer fluid, air
filter, wiper inserts, brake pads and rotors, etc.

Here comes my question: would you pay $1795 for having the same thing after 60,000 miles. The extended maintanence program is good thru 100,000 miles, totaling 5 services.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• rkurlanderrkurlander Member Posts: 58
    edited April 2012
    What does "totaling 5 services" mean?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can look at the Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide and add up what the services will cost if you have to pay for them out of pocket.
  • beafokbeafok Member Posts: 14
    Well, they determined that from 60,000 to 100,000 miles, there are 5 factory scheduled maintenance. So you pre-pay $1,795 for 5 services down the load when the car is in high milage. Good deal or not?
    Sorry if I'm being dense:
    Is the plan "extended SCHEDULED maintenance" only? Or is it five scheduled maintenance PLUS ANY problems between 60 - 100k?
    This is not a warranty, so they won't cover any problem fixings. But I was too having hard time understanding that there are only 5 services to cover the entire 40,000 miles, what about the regualr oil changes? So far, no one can give me a straight answer yet.
    edited April 2012
    I would vote a firm NO if it's $1,800 for five regular maintenance visits - not including problems. Sounds like a complete rip-off.
    Well, today lots of luxury brands offer the same stuffs, a friend of mine brought a prepaid plan to cover the maintenance thru 120,000 miles, and it costed him $2500. Per my own experience, taking a luxury car to the dealer always cost you a fortune, i.e. an oil change + brake pad & rotor replacement can be easily at $700 plus. I'm just worried how all these visits will all cost when it is not covered. You can always argue that why it has to be at the dealer, there are lots of independent shop can provide solid service with fair price. But I'm sure lot of luxury car owners would want to have the peace in mind by letting someone "official" to take care of their babies. So to rephrase my question abit "by the dealer pricing standard, is this a good deal?"
    edited April 2012
    I'd be careful to note what is actually covered.

Lots of scheduled maintenance items say "check" brakes for exampe, but don't call for replacing pads or rotors - that usually costs extra if it's needed. You really have to read the fine print.
    That is covered, unlike other brands, Volvo's maintenance program cover's all brake pad and rotors, which suppose to be wear items, but they cover it because it affects the safety. If it is not covered, I won't even consider.
    Well, just got the details, let's just use the 90K service as an example, here are what the factory scheduled maintenance covers:

*Engine oil and filter, replace
    *Service Reminder Indicator reset
    *Fuel lines, check for damage/leaks
    *Coolant level, check /adjust
    *Power steering fluid level, check / adjust
    *Steering / front suspension, check
    *Rear suspension, check for wear
    *Bevel gear/final drive, visual inspection
    *Driveshaft joints, check for wear/play
    *Driveshafts, check boots
    *Propeller shaft, pilot bearing and universal joints, check wear
    *Washer fluid level, check/adjust
    *Check all wiper blades
    *Cabin air filter, replace
    *Clean inside of windshield in front of camera
    *Brake fluid level check
    *Parking brake, check / adjust
    *Brake pads / discs, check
    *Brake hoses and lines, check for damage / leaks
    *Tire, check pressure, wear and condition
    Well, that's not how I'm reading it - "Brake pads / discs, check".

Doesn't say replace, like it does for the air filter and engine oil.
    Steve, you're right, it is reading "check" all over the place, good thing I requested the fine print. And I think I can ask any auto shop to do the check works without being charged a fortune.
    Yeah, I think it's almost always cheaper not to prepay for scheduled maintenance.

If you still like the convenience idea, you can take that fine print back and tell them that you're still interested, but for half the price. :shades:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    edited April 2012
    Yeah.. I'd take a pass on it..

If it were an extension of the 5yr/60K Safe and Secure maintenance...even without the warranty, it might be worth it... because then, you'd be covered for brakes, wipers, etc, etc..

But, since you didn't mention a time limit, I'd have to guess that it is strictly a pre-paid scheduled maintenance plan. Some people like to get those upfront, so they can finance it and include it in the payment... but, they really lock you into dealer service that you may not desire, once you are out of warranty... not to mention, the chance that you may not have the car for that long....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I also called Volvo Car customer care to confirm, NO wear items will be covered after the 60K. It was the finance guy at the dealer make it sound like everything is covered, it's a great value package, when I relayed to how much I used to pay at a dealer for having regular maintenance, I immediately falled into the trap...

Anyhow, the 5 yr/60k Saft n Secure program by Volvo, I would say it's better than any luxury brand would offer, maybe similiar to BMW's, but for example, like Audi, only 6 mo/7.5 k? that's a joke.
  • 4mercoachrick4mercoachrick Member Posts: 133
    I bought the 11th unit sold by my central Texas dealer back in March '09 and the 'free maintenance' plan was only for 36,000 miles. The 45K service was on MY dime. Who got a 60K free service plan on a 2010 model? I paid for 37.5, 45 and in a couple of weeks will pay for 52.5K check. That would sure be a nice early birthday present if the dealer and I have been reading the paperwork incorrectly for these services. Somehow, I don't think that's the case. :( I also paid a pretty penny for rear brake pads a few months back. I guess we early buyers missed out as I also have 'only' the 4yr/50K warranty(which was mileaged out earlier this year @ almost exactly the three-year anniversary).

We did get the 'bonus' S&S coverage when we purchased our '11 C70 about a year ago. :shades:
    Mine was sold in Nov 09, when Volvo was running the 5yrs/60,000miles special, the dealer did have a few that were sold in Apr and their packages are same as yours, at 36000 miles.
    I'd love to get a letter in the mail stating that a 'mistake' was made and they REALLY wanted us to have the extended S&S ;) .

We put almost double the 'normal' mileage on the '10 since we're here in Texas and a trip 'back home' is over 3000 miles round-trip. We were putting under 10K/yr on our vehicles before and shot up to 17K average over the three years with our XC60...DANG! :cry:
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    We got the 60k Safe and Secure plan on our 2010 XC60.
    No such luck for those of us who jumped in early(Mar '09) :P 4/50 on the warranty, 36K on the free regular services. It's our dime, now. 52.5K check this week...not looking forward to 60K. Well, it's been paid off for over a year...can't complain too much. LOVE the GoodYear Assurance tires we put on a couple weeks back.

Also ordered a couple of stickers for the center grill badge(Is yours still attached? ) I might go with Swedish yellow/blue just to be different. Check yours and make a warranty claim, if needed. As discussed on SwedeSpeed, there could be a shortage of the badges.
    Well, here's a twist...until the past couple of weeks, we were thinking of a trip to Sweden for a little OSD late next summer(for a '14 XC60); BUT, the Summer Savings event at Volvo has me thinking of a lease RIGHT NOW of a '12. It would include 5 years of S&S(although we would only have the vehicle three years, most likely). Funny how things work out! :surprise:
  • woodinvawoodinva Member Posts: 19

@4mercoachrick Are the GoodYear Assurance tires you put on the CS Triple tread All season models? How many miles have you gotten out those tires? Do they wear better then the Pirelli's?