Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

CFI to carburetor conversion on 1984 Lincoln Town Car

maniac7maniac7 Member Posts: 4
I have a 1984 Lincoln Town car, and am thinkabout converting it to a carburetor. I have most of the parts picked out that I need for it. I am going with an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold. A 500 cfm carburetor. A bigger cam, a mallory dual point distributor, and possibly headers.
What I would like to know, can I use the current in the tank fuel pump and use a pressure regulator? Or do I need to get a different fuel pump? When I assemble it, I am going to put on a different timing cover, and an eccentric on the cam, so if I need to go to a mechanical fuel pump in the future, I can.

Has anybody else here done this? What compications might I come up with while doing this?

Comments

• Options
    euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    How compatible are your proposed "improvements" going to be with your main computer that was programed by experts at the factory to deal with fuel injection? :blush:
  • Options
    nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    That is a 5.0L (302 cu. in.) engine in your Lincoln. From what you have posted (a bigger cam), I am guessing that you want to get more power out of the engine. Basically, to do what you are attempting would require a re engineering of the engine. The fundamental mechanical, electrical, fuel delivery, exhaust, and transmission systems would have to be gone through. Just a suggestion: take a look at the aftermarket power boosting parts that are available for the older 5.0 Mustangs. Many of these parts were designed for you engine and will boost the power of your engine.
  • Options
    bartbarterbartbarter Member Posts: 39
    I'd head over to grandmarq.net, there's guys there that'll have your answers. Low output 302s are not hard to upgrade. Good luck.
  • Options
    It's been a while since I've been on here, and thought that I should give an update on my project. I have torn down the engine, I have new World Casting Iron heads. I installed an Edelbrock Performer Plus cam, and Performer intake manifold, with a 600cfm carb. I have eliminated the EEC on it, and have Have a installed a Mallory HEI distributor.
    It is getting ready to fire up. Right now, I am searching for a set of Headers that will fit it, and have found a set of Hedman's that might fit it.

This project has been very fun so far. I'm excited to see what kind of performance gains that I get out of it.
  • Options
    Had an 82 Sig, 302 & after a Crower sport cam was installed, nothing improved. I 'phoned Crower and they said that the on board computer will not allow their cam to do its grind & if I had called them before it was installed, they would have advised against it. You can't ignore the effect of your on board factory installed computer when "improving" an engine.
  • Options
    Many swap the lopo 302 bits including the ECM and cams to a high output like a 'stang. As mentioned, Grandmarq.net or various Mustang forums. It might not make a firebreather but I've been in some box Fords that moved quite nicely, and would smoke my 85 TC, with mostly junkyard parts, mostly plug and play. The ECM is important.
  • Options
    The computer isn't going to be an issue on this project. It is being eliminated. The one thing that I need to figure out now, is the fuel pump. I bought a fuel pressure regulator, I figured that I can use the stock fuel pump if I step the pressure down to about 6psi, and run a return line back to the tank. There were two lines going to the CFI. Is one of these a return line? If so, it is going to make this project a lot easier.
    Also, does anybody know if there is already a fuel pressure regulator in the fuel line somewhere? If so, where is it at?
  • Options
    Duh, we're thick :D

I'm 99.273% certain there's a return line. Maybe trace it back? I'm also that certain there is no regulator. From what I understand many do convert to a manual pump.
  • Options
    If the computer is eliminated - what will control all of the other functions that the computer is involved at this time? :confuse:
  • Options
    The computer controls the fuel, and the ignition systems. I have installed a carburator, and a new ignition system on it, therefore the computer will no longer need to control theses functions on the car.
  • Options
    maniac6maniac6 Member Posts: 2
    Update:
    I got the engine fired up last night. It sounds healthy and runs smooth. I idled it at 2500 RPM's for about 30 minutes to break the new cam. You can check out the progress of it on my facebook page. All of the pictures are in the mobile uploads photos. Not all of them are there, because my phone isn't allowing me to upload pictures right now, but I'll get them on. You can look up my profile with my email, which is freedom_fighter1000@hotmail.com
    Here is a list of things that I have done to it.

I have dissasembled the heads. Polished them, and port matched them. New power sealed valves, new valve springs, and keepers, and freeze plugs. Has an Edelbrock Performer Plus cam shaft, and lifters, new push rods, and rocker arms. The entire valve train has been gone through.
    I went with an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, and a 500cfm carb. Has a set of Heddman shorty headers with a dual 2 1/2" exauhst, and Cherry Bomb Turbo Mufflers.

I think that is about it. This has been a very fun project. If anybody has any questions about this, I would be happy to awnser them for you.
  • Options
    Congratulations. Hopefully it will not have to take an emissions test. ;)
  • Options
    X2! That's great.
  • Options
    nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    How is the performance of the car? Do you now have the "HOT ROD LINCOLN"?
  • Options
    maniac6maniac6 Member Posts: 2
    It is running great. It'll lay rubber on the ground now. I'm doing the exhaust on it tomorrow. After that I'm going to take it out and see how fast it'll do 0-60, and how fast it will run a 1/4 mile. This project was a little of $2000, but it was well worth it.

Yes,
    It is the Hot Rod Lincoln.
  • Options
    mustang331mustang331 Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell me how you wired the car? I have an 84' Mustang that was originally a 3.8L with CFI. I placed a 331 in the car and it was running great, but now I am having electrical issues. The buddy that was helping me with the wiring portion of the car is ill so I am looking for guidance. Reading a wiring diagram is out of my realm, but I have the wire colors identified and isolated.
  • Options
    Considering the on board computer - What limitations are there when making this modification?

How compatible is a 331 connected to the factory computer designed for a 3.8?
  • Options
    mustang331mustang331 Member Posts: 2
    I removed the computer since the engine is carbed. No O2 sensors or other sensors were used. I have also installed mechanical gauges.
  • Options
    CannaToker42OCannaToker42O Member Posts: 1

Almost 10 years later…LoL! I have many questions as I currently have a 84 town car that is in progress of converting the TBI system to a Carburetor system . The work is getting done at a shop but was wondering what all issues came from doing this conversion?