Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tesla Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
Tell us about your Tesla shopping/buying experience here!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• Options
    sunny48sunny48 Member Posts: 24
    I went to see them at the showroom nearest me recently and was very impressed. It is a beautiful car. It's big, about the size of a s-class mercedes or 700 series BMW. The prices started at $70,000 for a car that could go 230 miles on a full charge, then to 80,000 for one that went about 300,000 and 90 for a slightly more powerful engine. The sales people do not work on commission and were not hard sell. They seemed used to people coming in to ask about their cars.

All three models offered shared exactly the same body. Interior trim upgrades and the choice of wheel upgrades are additional. It screen inside is so big that it's bigger than my i-mac screen, something I actually did not like as I found it distracting, but others will.

Each car came with a heavy cord that is kept in the trunk - the trunk is huge! - and when needed is plugged into the car where a gas cap would normally be located. It has three different plug ends that could be used to connect to electricity. A regular 3 pronged plug and 120 current took 90 hours (yes, 90) for a full charge. A heavy duty plug from 240 charged the car in 8 - 9 hours, or overnight and a special super cool power plug could charge it in 30 minutes at special recharging centers.

A phone app called recargo lists charging locations. Every 7/11 has one, among other spots, and super charging stations are located along certain interstates so that people traveling long distances can stop to recharge fast.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    That's interesting.. I saw my first one on the road, just last week.. What the heck is that? Very commanding presence with a wide stance.. Very cool...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sunny48sunny48 Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2013
    I agree. I first saw one passing me on a highway and admired its lines. It was deep forest green and very handsome. I had no idea what it was until I got close enough to see its license plate which hinted that it was an electric car. I guessed right away that it was a Tesla. After snapping a picture of it, I asked Siri where the nearest dealer was and called it just to ask some questions, but couldn't get there until a few months later. I may get there to test drive one next week.

There is financing, but no leases available.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to a New York resident who is going to buy a Tesla within the next three months. If you live in the New York area, are currently shopping for a Tesla and plan to buy by the end of January, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than the end of business Thursday, November 21, 2013.