Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• Options
    chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    Bonanza is one of my favorite shows, the Real McCoy's also, thats a great show.

Its a good time, don't know how the bars are I'm to young to drink (in bars)
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    was The Real McCoy's...but my all time favorite had to be the Beverly Hillbillies....
  • Options
    seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    a crush on granny too eh?
  • Options
    does Al and Kelly Bundy qualify?
  • Options
    will always be welcome..........heh heh
  • Options
    xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Your starting problem could be a defective fuel pressure regulator. What you describe is very close to a problem I had with a 99 Z-71 5.3L. (Although I was always able to get mine to start)

A service guy that I trust told me he has seen several 5.3L with this problem. One minute they work just fine, then they won't start, wait 10 minutes and they start up no problem.

Have you ever had a slight smell of gas when your truck does start? Almost like it is "flooded".
  • Options
    mjoy1mjoy1 Member Posts: 11
    Can you guys tell me what the wheel width on a 2000 gmc z71 is. I have the 265's. Thanks.
  • Options
    kanton1kanton1 Member Posts: 41
    look on the drivers door. there should be a sticker there with that information on it. i would guess 16x6.5 or 16x7

kyle
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    1500's are 7" and 2500's are 6.5"

- Tim
  • Options
    Hey Ryan, did you or any of you out there with 285's on the stock wheels have any trouble getting someone to mount the tires? I talked with tire rack and they didn't recommend that big of tire with the 7" wheel. Also is anybody running 275/70's, they are supposed to be 1/2 shorter then the 75's.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Nope i didnt have any trouble. As a matter of fact the tire shop was next to a gmc dealership and they did a few sierras before mine so the guy assured me they would fit. The installer was hesitant didnt think they would fit he even had me come out and look before he put them on (they were huge before they were mounted). He put em on and checked for rubbing. I didnt have any.

So far over 12K miles and they are great tires

Ryan
  • Options
    lakotalakota Member Posts: 11
    I know it's already been discussed, but I did a search on it and it just comes up with this board and 1400 messages to sort through.

What's an approximate gas mileage difference between a 3.73 and 4.10 rear axle ratio?

Or, What kind of mileage overall can I expect to get on a 2001 Sllverado 1500 Ext, 5.3 auto, 4.10 axle, 265 tires. If it matters, I live in Denver. Thanks.
  • Options
    Did you notice much of a change in gas mileage? That's one of my biggest concerns.
  • Options
    my mpg didnt really change at all. If you want i could send you my mpg before the tire change and after so you can see for yourself. Its on my home computer

Email me at ryanbabZ71@home.com
  • Options
    I know it's already been discussed, but I did a search on it and it just comes up with this board and 1400 messages to sort through.

What's an approximate gas mileage difference between a 3.73 and 4.10 rear axle ratio?

Or, What kind of mileage overall can I expect to get on a 2001 Sllverado 1500 Ext, 5.3 auto, 4.10 axle, 265 tires. If it matters, I live in Denver. Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm running 275/70R16 Michelin LTX M/S
  • Options
    You don't have to send me your averages Ryan, I didn't figure it would make much difference but I wanted to confirm this.

Do you like your tires obyone? Do they look much different then the 265's? I want to have a more agressive look and wasn't sure if the 275's would be that noticeable.
  • Options
    then I'd recommend these:

BF Goodrich Radial Mudterrain T/A

OR
    BF Goodrich Radial Mudterrain T/A KL in 255/85QR16

I think Ryan can explain why the 255/85R16 might be a better choice than the 285/75R16
  • Options
    yep they will fit the rim better

Only downside you have a mud terrain tire and not an AT

My next set will most likely be 255/85's
  • Options
    was a little wider track and to fill the wheel wells, thus choosing the 275/70R16:

I guess it all depends what you're looking for
  • Options
    When looking at tire sizes, I couldn't find the 255/85 in A/T. Unless you're looking at a different brand....
  • Options
    What I'm looking for is the same as you obyone, a wider tire to fill the fender wells. I rarely go off road so I don't need a very agressive tread, just a good all season tire. So did the 275's look much wider then the 265's?
  • Options
    erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Plan on towing heavy loads? Get a 4.10 axle. Otherwise 3.73 is just fine. There isn't enough difference between the two to bother about mileage. The difference over the life of the truck shouldn't be a whole lot. And if you keep it for only a few years, it really doesn't matter. The only reason I ever check fuel mileage is to look for trends.
  • Options
    obyone they do not make a 255 at tire

only mudd terrain
  • Options
    hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Kelly-Springfield, and Dunlop makes a 255x85R16 tire in an AT tread. I have the kelly Safari AWR in that size and love them. They are a LRD with 3000 lbs at 65 psi Rating. Fit the 6 1/2 inch 3/4 ton rim great!

Hunter
  • Options
    The 275/70R16 is the widest that you will be able to go to on the stock rim. It does a pretty good job of filling the wheel well. A couple of sizes larger would be better but it would begin to rub. I'm also pleased with the smoothness and quietness of the LTX M/S.
  • Options
    may not rub...but they won't give the proper wear pattern in the long run due to the sidewall buldge on a 7" rim...

somehow I have managed to survive with the good old 245's....I don't know how??..lost tons of sleep....LOL

http://www.members.home.net/mgdvhman/Ado2.jpg

...a bit smaller than I like....but it's no biggee.

Now on a taller 2500HD....I may have to get the 255/85/16's......you know.....to give the 8.1 something to drive!

Enjoy

- Tim

• Options
    Have you noticed any strange wear characteristics with your tires?
  • Options
    no wear problems

even had the tire dealer check at like 10K miles and they said they look great

Hunter i was inferring BFG doesnt make an AT in that size
  • Options
    gm02gm02 Member Posts: 49
    Just joined this site!! Placed an order for a 2 wheel drive rado ext cab LS w/3.73, rear locking differential, electronic traction assist, Heavy duty suspen, P255 tires & the Pro-Tech bed not to mention a couple of other options. Not sure if the Heavy duty suspen w/P255 was needed as it won't be used as a work trck and not sure why the Pro Tech bed seems to b so unknown, the dealer had no idea what it was! Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    congratss on the new truck, especially after you get it. don't worry, there are a lot of people here that have had to educate their dealers on options.......LOL
    you'll learn more about your truck on this site than the dealer knows....
  • Options
    i thought the protec bed only was available with the Z71 pkg?

Thats cool they are offering it on other models now
  • Options
    Dealer was unable to get the order in the system as it was rejecting it no matter what suspension was picked with the Pro-Tech box. He made a call and they claimed it had 2 b a 4x4, opposite of what the brochure stated. GM rep happens to show up, calls the factory and gets the order in for me.....only time will tell.
  • Options
    Should have mentioned I ordered the 4.8L engine. My concerns would be, should I have ordered the 5.3, do I need the heavy duty suspen w/P255 tires or would I get a better(smoother)ride w/standard suspen & tires? Input is always appreciated!
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Don't worry about the 4.8L, it is quite strong. I've put over 30K on mine, most miles were with a camper in the bed and running at 6400lbs, and I've never wanted more power. It does everything I want it to do.

Running empty I get 18mpg in town and 22+ on the highway (24mpg on last trip - 65-75mph). My dad has a 5.3L and he rarely exceeds 60 mph and he gets 20+ on the highway.

I'm happy with the 4.8L.

Mike L
  • Options
    If you get that truck built, it will be a one of a kind 2002. The pro tec bed was to be limited to extended cab Z71 short bed picks. It will be very rare with the 2wd.

Hunter
  • Options
    ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I have yet to see one on a truck, but yet a dealer 100 miles away was advertising a used '01 with it for sale. GM02, have you seen a confirmation of the truck build, I'd really be curious if the 2wd will come with the composite box?
  • Options
    87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    I also have the 4.8 L and am very pleased with it. I have a 2K 2WD LS LB x-cab. I drove it from DC to Phoenix with a bed full of my household belongings. Went from record highs in Tennessee to a snow storm in New Mexico. Had no problems.
  • Options
    First, thanks for responses!! They r putting my mind at ease on getting the 4.8L. On the Pro-Tec box, I am looking at the Vehicle Order Detail sheet the GM rep printed out after she placed the order w/the factory. It states ORDER INFORMATION which includes order #. ORDER CONTENT - description of vehicle being ordered, listed is E37-Pickup Box Composite. PRODUCTION DETAIL & GM BUSINESS ASSOCIATE INFORMATION w/info that has no meaning 2 me. Rep mentioned it would b in production in Dec for a Jan delivery. She will track order with hopes of getting a VIN # to the dealer prior to Jan 2 so I can take advantage of the 0% financing. Fingers r crossed!!
    Is it ok 2 b so long winded here? If not, sorry for the long reply.
  • Options
    ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    No problem being long-winded here.
    Now for another question of the people on the forum, has anyone put on a set of 17" Avalanche wheels on their truck, or have pics of one with them on? Would the backspacing/offset be the same as the 16" wheels? Thought this may be a cheaper/less maintenance wheel combo than aftermarket wheels for my 2wd.
  • Options
    Thanks to those who participate here as I've gotten a lot of info during my readings. I just picked up a 2001 Silverado 1500 LT, 5.3L, 4x4, Ride Control (ZX3), etc. etc. The funny thing was all this time I've been looking for a Z71 and when I found this truck I saw the skid plate package and just assumed. It was half way through the deal I noticed it didn't have Z71. I thought about it for a minute and thought, "Do I really need a Z71?" Nope, based on all the places I've been challenged over the years here in Colorado, I can't think of one where this truck wouldn't have handled it fine and I do 98% of my driving on the pavement anyway.

I drove back from the dealership yesterday in a 75mph zone - couldn't even tell I was doing 90. That's good and bad. Anyway, I look forward to participating more as I get to know the truck better. Hopefully I won't be describing my trips to the dealership.
  • Options
    ...don't worry.....you have skids....can add sway bars...don't need jounce bumpers..and can add heavier shocks if need be....

But the power loss from that sticker being gone is just going to kill ya!

LOL

Congrats

Enjoy

- Tim
  • Options
    You have better than the Z71, the ZX3 is an upgrade, with the ride selectable shocks. It costs even more than the Z71, and the Z71 is just a sticker anyways.

Hunter
  • Options
    eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Wasn't the sticker good for 3.85 ponies??? HEY RYAN....
    -Eric
  • Options
    kanton1kanton1 Member Posts: 41
    for myself (I know some of you have already experienced this)Chevy customer service and the dealer are never on the same page. One doesn't know what the other is doing and everybody has a different answer. Yesterday chev customer service told me my new truck had been built, and was still in inspection with no anticipated release date. Today my dealer called and told me my truck was unloaded from the train yesterday and should be to me by monday.

or of course, they now transport using high speed eurorail or japanese trains, which would explain how a truck in the midwest yesterday is now in oregon!!

regardless, i'm very excited, christmas is coming early!

Kyle
  • Options
    degregdegreg Member Posts: 2
    Coming out of a 2000 Tahoe (350 CI/260 HP) that had problems (in elevation) towing loaded 4 place snowmobile trailer. Looking at 2500HD crew short bed with 6.0 (300HP/360 tourque) & 4.10 gears. Question: Will I gain alot with this set up over the tahoe? Also want to use this for plowing as well. Also anyone know what I should expect for mileage with the 6.0? Wish the new truck had a larger gas tank (26 gallons same as tahoe)2 would be great. Long bed has larger tank but tooooo long!
  • Options
    Those are the exact comments you want to hear after you sign a $30k loan.
  • Options
    Yes and no, you will gain because the HD will be turning Higher RPMs than the 350 did on the highway. Expect about 4 mpg average less than the tahoe, maybee 13-14 highway and 10-11 city.

Hunter
  • Options
    out with 12.5 MPG with my 2K 2500 6.0/4:10....then as it broke in I now get almost 15 avg in the city.....going fast....and pushing 16 on the highway or a little more....

- Tim
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I've never seen before....a Dodge Ram Suburban! Or whatever one might call a fully enclosed 4 dr station wagon type full-sized Dodge Ram. It was red with a black fade paint job on it and had a name stensiled in the fade part on the tailgate. Same way I've seen it done on some Chevy's from Show Trucks USA.Pretty sure it didn't say that but couldn't get close enough to read what it did say. It was going down the street so I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone about it. Maybe it's the company that used to build Fords like that prior to the Excursion. Centurion..that's who built the Fords. Saw one of them the other day too. 1st in quite awhile.
This discussion has been closed.