Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I put new speakers in the rear and they made a huge difference.

I might have to take a trip to tims if he can hook me up with a sunroof from his buddies place.

Next mod is proabbly some 17in av rims and some goodyear MTRs (285/70/R17 basically same size as my bfgs now). I am getting a sweet deal on the rims (with stock tires but i am dumping them)
  • Options
    seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    all the kids out here drop 'em to the ground.....makes the Tundra's look like real trucks......LOL
  • Options
    what's happened to this message board?
    it use to be busy with Q&A's.........seems like 5-10 hrs. between responses........:-((
  • Options
    ??? Lower it yea right. If anything it is going upward :)

Why dont you head over to gm-trucks.com ???
  • Options
    i'm already tired of checking back here every other 6 hrs..
  • Options
    chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    My 99 1500 ext cab 2wd now with 30k miles got a set of Michelins and alignment. I was looking at the printout from the thrust alignment computer and noticed that not all readings were brought into specs shown. are some adjustments not done for some reason? The Michelins sure are different than the Generals. 44 months with the truck and counting.
  • Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Ya still going away this weekend ? A
    few of us from upstate are coming to
    Poughkeepsie this weekend for the snow
    plow BBQ saturday. Staying at the Best
    Inn across from Pizza Uno place..
    Ya can bring the BOSS and kids...others
    do....free too...Gotta hide around back
    if ya wanna drink a cold one tho ! The
    Newest snow equip. on display...geo
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Yup, Nascar Busch North final race of the season at Limerock Park in Connecticut, will be camping there all weekend. Hell it's only an hour from where you'll be in Poughkeepsie. I head out to the track Thursday night to get a good camping spot, the race has become so popular over the past few years that if you wait till friday morning to go you may not get a campsite, first come first serve at the track for camping.

Where exactly is this BBQ being held anyway? at someones house or at the local American Legion picnic area? Are you bringing the truck or the caddy?

Ray T.
  • Options
    themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    I have been away for awhile and, boy, there sure are alot of problems out there. Instead of trying to search the hundreds of posts, maybe someone can answer my question. Have they found a cure for the drive train clunk and what about the cold engine knock and also, my brakes seem to be getting soft. I have a 2001, 5.3, z-71 shortbox Sierra 1500. Thanks.
    PS, Any other problems I should be aware of??
  • Options
    kivkiv Member Posts: 4
    I've been watching the message boards for a few years but never posted anything since I've been extremely happy with my 2000, 4x4, 1500, 5.7L. I have not had any major problems until....now. It seems that my truck has been infected with the mysterious cold start-up "piston slap" passing 20,000 mi. I've read a lot about it on the message boards and understand GM is practically ignoring this. However, trying to trouble shoot this myself I found out that I only get this "piston slap" if I'm in park. If I shift to reverse or drive the noise goes away. I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced the same thing?

Since the noise is only present when the transmission is not under load, doesn't it make sense the noise is coming from the transmission or lower end of the engine?
  • Options
    KIV

I have an intermittant cold start knock. It doesnt go away when i shift from park to drive. it however is gone by the time i get to the end of the block (which isnt far at all).

I dont understand why mine is so intermittant. One day itll knock then it wont for a few months (still scratching my head).
  • Options
    kivkiv Member Posts: 4
    ryanbab

Sounds like there are still problems out there and we're all scratching our heads.

Once mine started knocking, it'll do it on every start-up...worst when it's colder. However, I immediately shift into reverse so the knock will go away. Once this started, I'd say mine would knock about 30 seconds if I would leave it in park.
  • Options
    unitsupunitsup Member Posts: 4
    I get this warning light about every 5k miles, indicating I need to change the oil in my 2001 Silverado. I usually change it myself. Last time I called the service manager to find out how to reset it. Silly me, failed to write it down? Anyone remember the sequence?
  • Options
    put key in ignition
    turn key to run position (do not start the truck)
    Press gas pedal (3 or 5 times) quickly. Id press it like 5-7 times. Wait a few seconds
    Oil change light will flash a few times. it is now reset

(this is in your manual)
  • Options
    dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Several months ago a person post on one of these topics about his new Silverado having the cold start kicking/knocking. For him it started with about 20,000 miles on his truck. He then started to use a product that you can find at WalMart called XR1 or was it RX1. Anyway since he started using it he has not heard the knocking or ticking in his engine. When he wrote his post about it, I think he had 80,000 miles on his truck.
  • Options
    Not sure on what I'm driving down. The
    BOSS don't want a bunch of bums messing
    up HER new car. Cuz she know we will be
    partying w/o the ol' ball and chain attached !
    But the motel is just up the street from
    the BBQ and pizza uno, conv. store, ital.
    rest. across street so no driving. The
    guy that runs the bbq ain't too keen on
    drinking at the thing so we wait till after
    or hide around back!
    It is held at his shop-Taconic Maint. 186
    Cottage St. (Bad neighborhood too )
    Have a good time at the race. Pray for no
    rain ! After we are heading for Atlantic city
    BOYZ days out !......LOL............geo
  • Options
    I know where he is located, Cottage St. is in a bad section of town, sorta run down area. U.S. Navy used to have their reserve base there not sure if they still do or not anymore. Enjoy while your there, if you have time to sight see go to Hyde Park (about 4 miles north on Rt. 9) and see the Roosevelt or Vanderbilt Estates, Culinary Institute of America is also along Rt. 9 too.
    Have fun in Atlantic City, don't bet your truck away hahaha!
    Weather for this friday doesn't sound good but we bought advance tickets so we're still go'in to the race track, I got a 28' trailer w/awning and all the food/drink I'll need so we be ready to party hardy!!

Ray T.
  • Options
    cruiser06cruiser06 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone tried having dual exhaust installed on a 2002 Sierra? Checked on it today and was told because of the cross member design on the 2002 there was no way to do a "true" dual exhaust. Was told they would have to come back with a single pipe farther back and split it to the 2 mufflers. He said there wasn't enough room down the sides either.

Anyone have any input?
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    a "true dual" exhaust. Lose too much back oressure. A single 3" pipe is best for power. A single in with dual out 2 1/2 to 2 3/4" for duals but you lose a little low end power.
  • Options
    appreciate the response. Are you running flowmaster? Did you dee improvement in hp or mpg?
  • Options
    That navy thing explains why so many buildings
    in that area are like quansant (spl) huts !
    We wanna taxi cab it to the topless bars !
    LOL........ Darn, I wanted to compare knockers
    with ya ! Wish the Edmunds crew could get
    something like the BBq going ! Last year (2nd)
    was over 200 people ! This year expecting 300
    plus ! Plowheads UNITE ! www.plowsite.com
  • Options
    I've had Flowmasters on 6 trucks since '88. All with the single in dual out coming straight out the back. Never having tried a single 3" I can't say it's better but I can say I've not noticed a loss of power with the setup I have. Have to put it on a dyno I guess. It sounds good and feels stronger but who's to say? I've done the exhaust, the chips, the K&N filters and can't honestly say I've ever seen an increase in MPG. If there is it certainly isn't enough to ever make up the cost. But in my case that isn't why I do it. It sounds good and hopefully I've picked up a couple HP along the way. FYI...with the new body style (and LS1 engine) in '99 the 50 series now causes a lot of resonance inside the can of an Xcab so a resonator is required. That or go to the quieter 70 series muffler. I have the 50 with the resonator and it sounds good and has very little interior resonance.
  • Options
    The exhaust guy was quoting the 40 series to me. This is kinda new to me so I don't know whether to go with the 40, 50, or 70 series. What is the difference with each? Thanks
  • Options
    really loud, and have a lot of resonance. I'm sure they sound good outside but I know I couldn't stand it inside. The 50 is a little quiter but sounds really good, and was fine on the pre '99's. But as I mentioned, produces too much interior resonance on the new extended cabs. The 70 series is the quitest. I had it on a '99 with no resonator and it was fine, but I wanted it a liitle louder. So on my '01 I went with the 50 and a resonator and am very pleased. You can get some idea on their website "flowmastermufflers.com". They have sound bites and explain about the different series. Thier tech supposrt is also very helpful with answering questions 1-800-544-4761.
    You didn't say if you have a Reg. cab or ext. You can probably use the 40 on a Reg. cab but for me personally it would be a little loud. Maybe 20 yrs. ago it would have been ok.
  • Options
    dwrestledwrestle Member Posts: 72
    doesn't Chevy put the 6.0L engine from the Silverado SS in the other trucks instead of the 6.0L thats not even as powerful as the 5.7L Hemi. The SS engine has 345HP and 380Lb Ft of torque, thats 5lb ft more than the 5.7 Hemi.
  • Options
    Rick05Rick05 Member Posts: 6
    My friend changed over to Mobil Synthetic Blend and said he drove it a few miles and drained it back out because it reduced his power so much. Now he's scared to use the full Synthetic. Has anyone else had this problem or know why you would have this problem? Thanks.
  • Options
    dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    I have the 70 series on the '00 Silverado EC. It has a resonator just in front of the mufflers. Single in, dual out to the sides (same as factory). This is the muffler that GM should have used. It has a slight rumble and absolutely no resonance. It is for older people who get teed off when next to the boom box cars (the rice burner type). It did not seem to make a difference in pickup or power or fuel economy. Other than sounding much better than stock, the cost is only justified by saying "I want dual exhaust"
  • Options
    xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Synthetic oil (blend or 100%) will not reduce engine power - if anything it will increase it - but IMO not enough so that you would notice it by the seat of the pants test.
  • Options
    themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    Can someone answer my Question #2260
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    drive train clunk- no
    cold start knock- other than replace the motor, no
    brakes- check your fluid level
    additional problems- see www.nhsta.com
  • Options
    GM has changed the rear lights for the '03 Chevy and the '03 GMC's retain the old style lights. I thought that kinda weird. Unless they have a ton of those old style lights around and using the GMC trucks to get rid of them.
  • Options
    awsumedsawsumeds Member Posts: 1
    according to chevy this is a common problem for them, well at least for my 5.3. they told me that the pistons were to big for the block, thus causing the knocking problem?
    does not make since to me.
    has anyone else had this cold start knocking problem? is this something I will have to listen to as long as I own this truck? suggestions please.
  • Options
    flyguy7flyguy7 Member Posts: 22
    Just traded in my problem plagued Trailblazer for a Z71 ext cab Sierra. Am enjoying your posts.
  • Options
    I thought it a little odd too. Another way of trying to distance GMC from Chevy maybe. I still haven't figured out the Cab side emblem thing. Seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the ones that don't have it.
    And the really big mystery is what the hell happend to the rebates on the '02s that was supposed to run 'til the end of this month?? They appear to be gone and it dropped on the '03s.
  • Options
    lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    I sold my 1996 chevy full size PU two years ago and leased a Nissan Pathfinder. I think I was hoping for a truck that was a little sportier but still a truck plus I wanted seating for 4. Well I got the pathfinder in black with a 5 speed and it's quite fun to drive, it has the same motor as the new Z. THe problem is that 4 people cause the suspension to bottom out and I was putting way to many miles on my lease. I got a relatively good offer on trade in for an '03 1500HD in the Charcoal metallic with everything but leather. I'm pretty impressed with the truck, so far no knocking, I haven't driven the actual truck I am going to get, the dealer is trading for it. It's a pretty stiff ride but 4 people should not affect the truck in any way and the 6.0 L is a pretty nice engine.

I am swapping the tires before taking delivery for some 285/75 BfGoodrich all terrains, the stock 245's look funny.

Can the dealer re-program for tire sizes?

THanks
  • Options
    minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    reprogram for 285's because it isn't a stock tire size or overall diameter(unless something's changed recently). Even though the 285's will fit, they can reprogram only up to 265/75x16. If you go larger than that you'll have to live with the speedo/odo, abs, and shift points being a bit off or get a Hypertech HP III reprogrammer -- which I highly recommend.
    -- Don
  • Options
    seaboseabo Member Posts: 3
    please check the following address for the details of my shabby treatment by gm
    hometown.aol.com/seabo/myhomepage/auto.html
    Who would have thought they could do this??
  • Options
    2ksilverado4x42ksilverado4x4 Member Posts: 1
    My Silverado has a steering clunk and loose feel when driving out of a drive way that has a small crub. I can also get it to make this noise and feel loose when braking and going over small bumps. Any ideas what is wrong? The steering shaft has been replaced once. The truck has 14k miles.
  • Options
    The new fix is to lube the steering shaft. I had the shaft replaced a yr and a half ago and had the lube done about a month ago. I had a whining noise when turning the wheel

So far so good
  • Options
    gm02gm02 Member Posts: 49
    Back in May I changed the oil in my truck,'02 LS Silverado using Mobile 1. I determined I would go 6 months 7,500 miles. Since May, I have only put about 2,500 miles on the truck....just not being used.
    What do you folks recommend? Keep going till May then change or change now? If the oil isn't being worked, are the miles more important than the time?
    Appreciate any input.
    Thanks,
    Greg
  • Options
    lakotalakota Member Posts: 11
    gm02, Do you have the indicator on your dash that tells you when to do an oil change?

I do on my '01 LT which I bought in November of 2001. I drive 60% highway and 40% city in Denver and the indicator is telling me to change my oil for the second time at 8400 miles. I thought this system actually checked the oil itself. I also thought these trucks could go 10k miles between changes.

I understand the first oil change at 3k miles b/c of a new engine, but a second 5k later. It seems that something is wrong. If it matters, I use Castrol 5-30 and use K&N oil filters. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
  • Options
    at 4500 miles with my everyday driving. My '99 did go to 7500 on a trip to NY and back. I usually get it changed within the next 1k miles after light comes on. Never uses any. Plain ol' Pennzoil.
  • Options
    in a way the Honda generators do, it sees the oil and based on the color density it determines when it's time. On the Honda generators it actually will shut the generator down if oil is to dirty.
    At least this was the explanation I got as to why it comes on when it does.It makes sense since I have used the generators with this feature.
    Mine just came on after 4950 miles, 2k of that was pulling a travel trailer. I show 1020 hours and 34k miles on the odometer now. Only use 5w30 dino juice since new. My normal change interval has always been 5k unless the minder comes on and have been doing a lot of towing or hauling then I'll change earlier.

Ray T.
  • Options
    Appreciate the input. My truck does have the oil chnge light. I'll wait till May unless the light shows up prior to that. Don't think I'll want to go more than a year without a chnge. At that time I'll also have an oil analysis done.

Rayt2....the Warranty Gold package arrived the other day for my Montana. Hope you were able to collect your bonus.
  • Options
    xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    It does not "look" at the oil, does not test oil quality.

It does keep track of miles driven, hours, engine temp.

If you don't believe me - next time the change oil light comes on - reset it but don't change the oil - the change engine oil light will not come on - it thinks you change the oil.
  • Options
    your going 12 months between oil changes?

Man i guess preventative maintenance is thrown straight out the door?
  • Options
    I had 3000 miles in 7 months on my Nissan truck. When changing sent a sample to Blackstone and the result was that I had changed to soon.
  • Options
    My sales rep at Warranty Gold said 60 days till check arrives, thanks for the reference. My wifes Windstar going in for first use of contract next week, check engine light has come on twice and AutoZone scanned code for free, "Intake Manifold Runner Ctrl. Stuck Open" is what the code displayed, driver door lock not working w/remote either so we'll see how this diamond plan stacks up now.
    The Silverado has to go in for the steering shaft lube TSB, they already changed the shaft but it sounds like a rubber against rubber squeak when turning!

Ray T.
  • Options
    lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    My friend at GM powertrain said the computer monitors many things to calculate when the oil should be changed. These include, throttle position, speed, coolant temp, oil temp, trans temp, fuel used, miles travelled, time and volume of air passing the MAFS. It takes all these variables and determines how fast a general Dino oil will break down.
  • Options
    Does the amount of time the oil is in your engine, mean anything if it isn't being worked ?
    I wouldn't thing twice of spending an extra $25 a year in protecting a $25K truck. But only driven 2K miles in 6 months, won't I just be flushing out perfectly good oil ?
    If not, I'll change it without hesitation.
    Really appreciate the input
This discussion has been closed.