Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe

judasjudas Member Posts: 217
Shifty, where the heck are you? I figured you'd jump all over this one. All I know about Aerocoupes is that every person that has one thinks their worth a fortune. And a surprisingly large number of em have low miles, although maybe not that low. When I worked at a dealership we had a guy come through trying to trade one in that had around 30K miles and was in more or less perfect condition. He wouldn't take less than 9 grand for it, so we told him to beat it.

Do you really want one that much? I was never a fan of the Monte's anyway and the Aero's uglier than the rest of em. If you're thinking of it as an investment, don't do it. Cars, with a few notable exceptions, do not make good investments.

Comments

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,687
    Well, if nothing else, they ARE pretty rare! I think Chevy only made 200 of them in 1986 and another 200 in '87. Pontiac also sold a Grand Prix version one year, which is surprising, considering Pontiac didn't offer a muscle car version of its G-body to compare with the 442, SS, or Grand National.

For some reason, I see more of the Grand Prix version around here in MD than I do the SS version. Maybe they dumped 'em all in Maryland? When I do see a Monte, it's usually pretty well kept up, while the GP's usually look like they got dragged straight out of the ghetto...balding tires, faded paint, interior used to house train pit bulls, etc!

I think, years down the road, if there is a non-Camaro/Corvette Chevy from the 80's, it will be the Monte Carlo SS, and more specifically the Aerocoupe. I don't think we're talking "1971 Hemi 'Cuda" territory here, maybe more along the lines of "76 Eldorado 'vert"

I personally like the Monte Carlo, and all of the GM G-bodies. They were the last fairly well-built GM coupe that I could comfortably fit into. Thunderbirds and Cougars were just too cramped and claustrophobic, even after they redesigned for 1989, and most of GM's A- and W-body mid size FWD models were even more cramped, with the added bonus of body parts and interior panels that looked like they were designed by pre-schoolers.

But $14500? Too much. That car probably ran around $16-18K when it was brand new!

-Andre
  • Options
    All the sites agree on how many were made in 86, which is 200. One site says 1500 made in 87. One site says 1515 in 87. Three sites say 6052 made in 87.

Found a whole load of them for sale. Asking prices range from $7500 (Doesnt say miles or anything about condition) up to $22,000 for a "750 mile museum kept" example. These are all 86's however, of which there are apparently only 200. 87's would obviously be much, much less valuable.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think $14K is over the moon and into the galaxy for this car. People can "ask" whatever they want. "Asking" prices have no determination ability for the market. Asking prices are mythical numbers.

In terms of what they are really selling for, it seems that a range of $7,000-10,000 should buy you a very very nice car.

There does seem to be "some" demand for the car, so it will probably retain that value...but being an 80s GM product, I wouldn't hold high hopes for any great appreciation. I feel the car will stagnate, like the Buick Grand Nationals have done (The GNX is doing better).

I don't know the production numbers, but what's really important, in the end, is not the numbers so much as whether anyone CARES....there are quite a few extremely rare cars that you can't get much money for....people need to WANT them, and want them badly, for the price to escalate. Just ask any Delorean owner, he/she knows what stagnation means and how slim the market is for certain "rare" cars.
  • Options
    I could be wrong about the '87 stats...just recalling them from my sometimes faltering memory ;-) I'll check my auto encyclopedia tonite and see what it says, although it's been wrong about some stats, as well!

-Andre
  • Options
    Judas,
    I just looked in my auto encyclopedia, and you're right. It lists 6052 SS Aerocoupes built for 1987, versus 200 each of the '86 Monte Carlo and Grand Prix models.

If anyone cares, the SS Aerocoupe's base MSRP was $14,191 in 1986 and $14,838 in 1987. By comparison, the notchback would have run $12,466 and $13,463, for those respective years, so you paid about $1500-1600 for the "privelege" of that funky rear window! Just as a point of reference, my mom paid about $13500 out the door for her '86 when it was brand new, but it was just a base model with a 305. Also back then, stuff like A/C, power windows/locks/seat, nice stereos, cruise, etc was still optional, so those prices could escalate rather quickly.

For some reason, Pontiac felt it should offer its Grand Prix 2+2 coupe, as it was referred to, for $18,214, and only 200 were built for 1986, its only year. The book is a little confusing, mentioning that the car used an Olds 307-4bbl with 165 hp, but in the back where the charts are, it just lists a Chevy 305-4bbl, with a 150-165 hp range. Obviously the book is confused! Plus, the 307 only put out 140 hp, unless you got a 4-4-2, which had 180. The Chevy 305 had 150 hp in the G-bodies back then, but 165 in the B-bodies, but 180 in the Monte Carlo SS. So God only knows what the GP 2+2 was SUPPOSED to have under the hood!

-Andre
  • Options
    More inane trivia on the Aerocoupe (Courtesy of montecarloss.com)

All 86 Aerocoupes are totally identical, same options, same exterior (White), same interior (Burgundy).

All Aerocoupes left the factory as regular old notchback Monte SS's, the Aerocoupe modification was made by an outside vendor.

Hey, here's one I bet you could pick up cheap:

http://www.montecarloss.com/images/DonaldsAero2.jpg

If he says he wants 14 grand for it tell him to stick it.

• Options
    rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    I wouldn't give him 14 cents for that car! With that much rust, it's a basket case beyond salvation. Only good for a parts car, which I'm sure someone would want for no other reason than that hideous back windshield, which must be dang near impossible to find! Granted, it may be better for aerodynamics, but if that's the aerocoupe, make mine a regular Monte Carlo SS.
  • Options
    is about as useful for aerodynamics as tailfins are on a 1957 DeSoto! Get it going fast enough, you'll see some benefit, but how often do any of us drive the Nascar circuit? I think those Aerocoupes were kind of like an '80's version of the old Charger Daytona and Plymouth Superbird. They had to build so many street copies for the thing to be legal on the track. I think 505 Charger Daytonas were built, versus several thousand Superbirds the next year.

It's actually kind of sad to see a car like that Aerocoupe sitting in the weeds rusting away...I'll give 'em $.14 for it!

-Andre
  • Options
    rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    To me, it's sad to see any car rusting away. (Unless maybe it's along the lines of a Yugo or Hinda CVCC). But still, that back windshield! It looks like some redneck broke the back windshield of his Monte Carlo out, and fixed it with one off a similar vintage Camaro and some silicon caulk! (In other words, it looks a bit butchered in that pic. The C-Panels scream notchback at the top of their lungs, but that back window ruins the whole look!)
  • Options
    buckmaster1buckmaster1 Member Posts: 20
    I have had 3 or 4 monte SS (not Aerocoupes) they lure you in with the SS nameplates and rumble from the smog tuned dual tailpipes and they really dont do anything special on the road. Unless you count the rear slipping out pretty easily in the rain as something.These cars were just ticklers compared to SS 396 and 427 cars that wore the SS name.However i would still like to keep one around as long as the sellers dont think they have this RARE CAR that you should pay way too much for. As for the Aerocoupe version if you dont like it dont buy it, because it just is not an investment. You will pay more for one because most of them are lower mileage than the street beat sagging drivers door (bad hinges) regular SS. I would even advise against restoring one because you will definitely end up way over your head in money in it just to make it look and perform stock.
  • Options
    but the only thing is, I'd want it for a daily driver, and not as a museum piece. And it seems like most of them nowadays are either ragged out POS's driven by working class housewives who can cuss out the officer that pulled them over while still puffing on their Camel, or they're all fixed up better than stock, and their owners want a mint for them.

I'd have no trouble finding a nice used regular Monte (heck, my Mom even gave me one a few years back, and I'd thought about trying to hot rod it...but it got totaled 3 months after she gave it to me), but the SS's seem like they're starting to price into Grand National territory...and that's a whole different breed of car!

-Andre
  • Options
    sixthflicksixthflick Member Posts: 47
    Andre, In just reading over your last few postings, are you interested in an '86 Monte Carlo SS? I'm looking to have it restored but may decide to part with it instead. I currently use the car everyday, which has 141k on the original engine, and transmission. I'm only the second owner. The original owner was a civil engineer and kept the car in pretty much pristine condition. It had only 70k on it when I purchased it about 2-1/2 yrs ago. If you may be interested or know anyone, write to me at sixthflick@hotmail.com I've just taken some digital photos of the car, so I could e-mail them to you if you want.
  • Options
    I do admire the Monte Carlo SS, but unfortunately I'm in no financial situation right now to afford one.

Where are you located at? I'm in Maryland, near DC/Baltimore. If I hadn't bought a brand new car (well, that was almost a 1 1/2 years ago, so it's not exactly new anymore ;-) I'd probably be interested! I do know a couple people with cars that are on their last legs, though, so if you're not too far away, I'll ask around.

The '86 my mother gave me had 192K on it when it got totaled, and was still running strong, so I'm sure 141K is just getting broken in!

-Andre
  • Options
    sixthflicksixthflick Member Posts: 47
    Andre, I'm between Newburgh and Middletown in upstate New York. I'll send you some photos that I just took this last weekend if you want to ask around. I still owe about $3000 on the loan, but am willing to part with it for a bit less. If you know of anyone or hear any word of someone interested, let me know.

- Flick
  • Options
    jeffer2jeffer2 Member Posts: 35
    About 14-15 years ago I had an '85 Notchback SS. Nice car, but bad in the winter. It had 4000 miles on when I bought it. Interesting thing about this one was it was driven by a GM Exec. It was black with none of the graphics, and it had 16 inch IROC wheels with Goodyear 50s on it instead of the standard rallys. When I sold it one person wanted to put the stripes on it, and all I could think was "why, it looks good without them." Sold it to someone else who was going to lower it or use to tow his race car.
    I miss it sometimes. Wouldn't mind having one for daily use, if I lived somewhere that didn't get snow. Only problem I had was electrical problems with the wipers. Took a while to get that fixed.
    Never was too crazy about the aerocoupes though.
  • Options
    You're starting to make me wish I'd taken more pics of my '86 Monte Carlo when I had it. Unfortunately, the only pics I have of it were after it got wrecked! Strange priorities, huh?

-Andre
  • Options
    buckmaster1buckmaster1 Member Posts: 20
    I have either owned them or been sorry I sold them,but one things for certain when you see one on the road(especially pulling away from a stoplight) admit it, you lower your radio and drivers window a bit just to listen to it rumble off and to hear the one to two shift.So its not an eyeball flattening car I admit that,but I always feel great about driving them.It has a back seat thats pretty decent and a great trunk.Lets not forget that this is a full frame body on chassis car with a V8 Auto trans and Posi Trac rear (LOOKOUT IN THE RAIN).If you have opportunity to grab a decent one,you know one that can either be driven daily or restored pretty easily,you might as well take it.It is a lot of car for the money,and if you want to drive it now and restore it later thats an option too.P.S. I just bought my fifth one;1988 SS Notchback 305 H.O. Silver Exterior with Maroon interior from a 59 Year Old Original Owner.LUV,LUV,LUV IT. VROOOOOM
  • Options
    millerhemillerhe Member Posts: 5
    if Z16 was the aerocoupe option number for the Monte Carlo SS does anyone know what the option number was for the Pontiac Gran Prix 2+2 Aerocoupe. Thanks
  • Options
    scottmoyerscottmoyer Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying to tell people that for a long time. I have an 86 Olds 442 that I have been trying to sell and a lot of people complain about the price. My car is priced at 10,500 because it has the 307HO, posi, 33k original miles and the usual options. Other people are asking so much more with the same mileage, and I keep saying that 10 grand really isn't that high priced for a car like this. How many RWD, V8 cars with 30k miles and posi are you gonna find for this price? I also agree that they sound good, but they don't have what they need to back up that sound. You can see it here.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~smoyer/Olds442.htm
  • Options
    avalanche325avalanche325 Member Posts: 116
    These were done to help the ageing Monte keep up with the T-bird on the NASCAR tracks. They technically had to sell some before they were legal in NASCAR. If I remember right, NASCAR let them on the track before any were sold anyway. A very sore spot for Ford fans at the time. It led to comments like:
    NASCAR - National Association of Southern Chevrolet Auto Racers.

Similar to the production of the Superbird and Taladega Torino.

Maybe the illusion of "it's a racecar" is why people ask so much for them.
This discussion has been closed.