Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• theritz2theritz2 Member Posts: 5
    Sunbyrne, you might try taking the front rack off and reversing the direction of the rack, i.e. move the left end of the rack to the right side and vice versa. This turns the former back edge of the rack into the leading edge into the wind. I saw something about this earlier in this discussion and it looks like some folks get some relief by doing this. Even though we have a moon roof and were not experiencing wind noise problems, I tried this just to see what happened. My wife immediately complained about wind noise after I did it, so I moved it back and the noise went away. I'm beginning to think that some of the P5 racks were originally installed properly and others were not... Anyway, it's fairly easy to do and it may cut your wind noise down considerably even with the deflector in place! Moon roof sure comes in handy in the heat here in Austin. I suspect you use it a bit there in Houston, too.
  • mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    Hi everybody,
    I am interested in the Pr5 so I started reading this board. A lot of you are talking about some sort of S-plan. Can you guys tell me what it is, where to sign up and basically how it works? How do I qualify and how do I find out the set price that dealer will charge if i am on the s-plan. Don't want them to screw me on that either. Everybody's quoting 17,500 for auto for yellow here is south florida. Please help.
    BTW, if anybody aware of a south florida mazda dealer that accepts this plan let me know.

Thanks, Dima
  • carnut34carnut34 Member Posts: 1
    Have been driving my silver Protege5 for two weeks now....and all I have to say is zoom, zoom.....love this car...it's funky looking, hugs the road in the tight curves, great gas mileage, etc, etc....This is my second Mazda...had a 93 MX6 that I was reluctant to give up...but when I test drove the 5? Wow no problem giving up the "don't know what I should be MX6"...The P5 drives better, sportier, and fully loaded? Under $19,000, now that's a deal! If I had to mention a negative? Noise when moonroof is open, no not the regular wind noise, but a high pitched whistle..however sounds like Mazda knew this as they give you a kit to remove the roof rack and replace with flat bars...haven't done it yet...since the whistle has not started to drive me nuts yet...maybe the car is still too new for me to have things annoy me? (-: Try it - you'll love it!!! ZOOM, ZOOM
  • boopoppaboopoppa Member Posts: 48
    well..i was told to expect my blue 5spd moonroof pro5 to come in the first week of august and of course, it hasn't. Now my dealer in Pittsburgh said to wait til the 29th. and when i asked about a VIN number, he said he can't get that until a week before the car comes in. am i getting the runaround? should i get my deposit back and find a new dealer?
  • jbnahantjbnahant Member Posts: 3
    I would really like to buy a PR5 using the S-Plan. The dealership that I asked said they didn't accept it because the cars are so popular. Is the S-Plan at all attractive to dealerships? Do they loose money if they accept it? Does anyone know of a dealership in MA, NH or Maine that has accepted the S-Plan for PR5 or the Protoge ES?
  • aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    That really sux :(.. I'm in a similar situation.. ordered my car on May 23rd.. was told by my salesman that it'll take 6-8 weeks for my car to arive.. and "it usually only takes him 4-6 weeks and he looks like a hero".. well it's been about 3 months now and "he looks like an [non-permissible content removed]"

after the 8 weeks past, they had no VIN number, but said the car would arrive the 1st week in August.

now, 3 months later they have no idea where my car is.. they have a VIN number but no expected arrival date..

So I've been without a car since the first week in August. I really REALLY want to buy this car but I have no choice and will most likely take my deposit back and buy a civic from the dark side this Friday..

needless to say I would not recommend buying from Schwartz mazda in shrewsberry NJ.. in my 3 months they haven't called me once with any new information on my car.. I've always had to call them about every 3 weeks and I get the "oh I was just about call you!" song and dance..

PS:

just wondering, what the options were in your order.. the p5 I ordered was a manual transmission with ABS/moonroof/alarm.. I've read something on here about a shortage of ABS parts.. I'm wondering if your p5 had ABS as well..

good luck!
  • deejayspinzdeejayspinz Member Posts: 20
    This info was already posted so I will be brief. I was told that the VIN # is assigined while the cars are at sea. Usually half way between Japan and North America. If you are on the west coast then I can see the "week before arrival" timeline. I ordered July 2, was promised Aug 2. So far no car. Was given VIN# on Aug 7th. Told that it **should** be in for 1st week in Sept. I have my doubts... My car - Silver 5Sp Moon ABS. I have a friggin complete new stereo system sitting on my office floor just hummin to be installed.. Can't wait. Will post lots of info and pics on my site when its done.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    What dealer are you using? Not sure which one of the area dealers I'm going to use, so I'd like to know others experiences. I was planning on going to Baglier, but I have no ties to any dealer and would just like a good one. I test drove at a dealer in boardman, ohio, and really liked that guy, wouldn't really mind that drive if thats the dealer i like.
    I have driven by a few dealers and stopped just to see what was on their lot, and every P5 I have seen has been an automatic (8 cars total). For being the zoom, zoom company it seems odd to have so many automatics out there. Is it because all the 5 speeds sell right away or are they really making that many automatics? When I buy it will be a 5-speed, if I can find one.......
  • pro5girliepro5girlie Member Posts: 20
    I was in the same situation. Waited almost 9 weeks, each time I was told, it's coming soon, almost here, next week, etc. I finally went to another dealer, found one I wanted without ABS (didn't really want it anyway), and picked it up the next morning. My boyfriend took his credit card back to the original dealer and got the deposit back no problem. Try looking around at local dealers, or use www.dealernet.com. I think they are showing some P5s. Good luck, and don't put up with this crap unless there are no other dealers. Zoom Zoom!!!!
  • deliveryguydeliveryguy Member Posts: 11
    I got an invite to test drive a P5 from Mazdausa, and a free gift, a $25 gift certificate or a web cam. I think I'll take the web cam. However, as has been said above, trying to find a 5-speed is almost impossible here in Atlanta, even with 4-5 dealers!! Seems like they only are producing 10-25% 5-speeds or am I being to generous. Oh, we just had one, but we just sold it 20 minutes ago.?? Maybe, I can just get them to sign my test-drive certificate for my free gift. Would really like to buy a P5, but can't really afford it right now. I do not seem to be able to get any financing, ie no credit, but then I don't have any bad credit either! Paid cash for my 87 323 wagon, $10,000 back then. Makes for easy negotiating, but that was then! Oh, well......
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    My dealer says that 50% of the the Pro5's they've orderd have been 5-speeds and they can't keep them on the lot. 50% is a HUGE percentage in the U.S. car market and even that's not enough, so they're upping the percentage. Both Mazda and most dealerships underestimated the % of folks who would want 5-speeds for this car.
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    Took this car out for the day (loaner agreement). Love the handling, looks, power, and value. The only gripe is the arm rest. What arm rest (too far back to be helpful)? Anyway, what a great value. BTW, here in Phoenix, L Miller Mazda has about 8 of them, all colors except yellow (next week), half with sunroofs, half 5speeds, not sure on the abs part. And this is a small dealer. For a smaller, sporty wagon this car cannot be beaten. Period. Their prices are pretty danged good too as they'll sell off the S-Plan.

Tried the Honda Civic. Doesn't even compare (ES vs. EX). The Civic is decent, but with all the recalls (even if they're not substantial as pointed out before they generate a lack of confidence in build quality and hassle for having to take it in to the dealer) and the dealer network (negative), the Mazda is far superior.

Alas, I am saddened in that the back seat just doesn't handle 3 car seats (width - legroom is great). Just not big enough for my needs. But as great as this little car is (and the ones I've had before have been tremendous), I'll always be a Pro supporter (until they get a little too much blue oval on them). Zoom, zoom.
  • yangu23yangu23 Member Posts: 1
    This is in response to Message #1007.

I am having the same problem in the morning too. When I first warm up the car it seems to make a rattling noise around 3000rpm. I'm thinking about taking it in to have it looked at. The problem seems to go away once the car is warmed up. Anyone else out there with the same experience?

melonhead1 Jul 28, 2001 12:36pm
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    White P5? I didn't know that white color exists for P5. I though the choice is limited among Yellow, Red, Silver, Blue, and Black. Are you sure you bought a P5? :) Whatever the car you're driving, congratulation anyway.

Bruno
  • cocomococomo Member Posts: 6
    My P5's engine makes the rattling noise too when cold, even at less than 3000 rpm.It also goes away when the engine warms up.
    How many miles do you have on your P5?
    I only have around 500 km on my P5. Does anyone know if the rattling noise is normal or does it go away after the break in period?
    By the way, does your steering become lighter when taking corners? Mine does. Is that normal?
    Also, I'm thinking of replacing the front speakers.The stock ones are not that great.
    Other than that, my P5 is great, zoom zoom......
    I never have any ratting noise from the engine, cold or warm, before or after the breaking period. Mine has about 3000 miles.

When you take a corner, the TTL design of the rear suspension kicks in, may be that's why you think the steering becomes lighter. Otherwise remember that the steering power assist on P5 is engine RPM sensitive. Do you take a corner with high or low RPM?

Bruno
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    Quite certain it was a P5. White is simply stunning in the P5. The dealer had a 5sp and an auto in white. They also had silver, black, blue, and I think red. First red one I've seen. My choice would be between white and silver. Both very nice. ;->
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I have a '99 ES sedan with 48,000 miles on it. Ever since 40,000 miles, my engine has been doing the same thing. It also has begun to do it whenever the AC compressor kicks on. I suspect something is loose in the engine compartment, but of course, it won't do it at the dealership service department. It seems to be a recurring problem with the Protege, as I have seen it pop up on the sedans and Pro5 board a few times.

As for the steering getting lighter in a corner... you may be pushing the vehicle too hard and the front end is losing traction (understeer). It is quite common for a front wheel drive car. When the TTL (Twin Trapezoidal Link) begins to steer the rear wheels, it feels as if the rear-end is coming around on you (oversteer).
  • peteach_3peteach_3 Member Posts: 9
    I do not know where you are exactly located in ATL, however, here on the southside at Hennessey Mazda I know they have P5s with 5-speed. I bought mine last Tuesday and could not ask for before service and willingness from a dealership. If you are interested in coming here please email me and I will give the sales person that i dealt with, he is the best and understanding. My email address is bert32199@cs.com PLease email they for more info and help. :)
    bluong1:I take the corners at low rpm, in the 2000 to 3000 rpm range.Does the steering power assist increase or decrease as engine rpms rise? At what speed does the TTL normally kicks in?
    jstandefer: Did the rattling affect the reliability of your engine? Does it make rumbling noise when the AC is on when the engine is cold? Mine does that, sounding as if the engine is under heavy labor. So I turn off the AC until the engine is warm. I hope it's not a defect with my engine, since my car is only 3 weeks old! This is my first Mazda car (after having owned a few Toyotas & a Honda) & I sure hope it's not a lemon.
    ^_^
    The rattling just sounds like a loose part somewhere in the engine compartment. Reliability of the engine has been outstanding so far... The rumbling with the AC is intermittent and happens when the engine is hot. The cold start rumble only happens when it is cold outside (about 55-60 degress, hey, it's San Diego), and goes away after about 20 seconds.

As far as your power assist steering, it is engine rpm sensitive, meaning power assist DECREASES with rpm. Lower rpm will give you more assist (i.e., lower effort). However, the difference should not be that noticeable. The TTL only comes into play in an extremely hard corner. It is activated by body roll, so let's say you would have to take a regular 90 degree corner at 25mph to activate it!
  • canebackercanebacker Member Posts: 1
    piston flap (slap?) on some of the newer Protege ES models...dont know if that accounts for the rattle or not...

Just checked it again, the guy talks about starting a car, and putting it into drive before the engine warms up. He gets a rattle sound when he does so.
    Putting the vehicle in drive before the idle drops to under 1,000rpm is putting an awful lot of strain on the engine. Until it warms up, the engine is putting out a lot less power. My '99 ES is a 5-spd and I still let it warm up to the point that the temperature gauge starts moving. And I still drive it slowly until it has reached full operating temperature. You're car is still under the "adjustment" phase of the warranty, which allows for wear items, loose parts, etc. I would take it in and have them check it out. Like I said, mine didn't start until I had about 40,000 miles on it.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I saw my first P5 on the road today, and the first yellow one too. It was stunning! Makes me wanna kick myself for getting an ES sedan back in February and not waiting for the P5! :(
  • rickrozrickroz Member Posts: 26
    Can someone please explain what this s-plan is that most people seem to mention.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    To be honest with you I like the Sedan better...I'm much more of a sedan-guy than a hatchback (read stationwagon...hehehehe) guy. Lady at work got a P5 a few weeks ago....think she was jealous. She even got the black mica like I did!! Oh welp, we had them side by side and I still say I liked mine better...even if it is only an LX (i.e no fog lights). Not that I'm bashing the P5 in the slightest. Just a styling preference.

Rickroz, scroll up a few hundred messages...There's a lot of talk about the s-plan. I think the way it works is that you join some organization for $40 and that will get you a price of 1% below invoice (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). We don't have it up here in Canada, so you'll have to verify w/ the others.

Regards,

Pro_fan
  • deejayspinzdeejayspinz Member Posts: 20
    Just got off the phone with Mazda Canada. Turns out that another batch of P5's have made it to port and have gone on rail as of Sat 18th. She told me that it should arrive in the GTA (Ontario) by Friday. I won't hold my breath though...

Dave
    Carl, as Jerry stated, the power assist is greater at lower RPM. The TTL reacts with the 2 things: the lateral force and the horizontal torque subjected by the rear wheels. When the lateral force is applied, the TTL produces a negative camber to balance the body roll, and makes the rear wheels grip better the road. When the horizontal torque is applied, the suspension produces a toe-in-toe-out effect on the rear wheels, so the car can follow easily the trajectory, and make one feel the steering is light. I don't think you need to take a corner very hard before the TTL kicks in. Comparing to my previous car, the 1997 Civic EX, the P5 handling is way much better. The wheels of the Civic squeal like a pig everytime I took a hard corner, and in the wet surface, the rear of the car always try to skid, pretty disappointed. Sorry to hear about the ratting noise of your engine. Hope you can manage to get the dealer fix it.

Bruno
    thanks for all the helpful info, guys.
    You guys sure know a lot about the P5/Protege.
    I'll get my dealer to check my car when I bring it in for oil change in a couple of months.
    Does anyone know if it's possible to fit a 6 X 9 speaker in the front doors? I'm thinking of getting Polk EX693A speakers for my front doors.
    It has a 3 11/16 inches bottom mount depth,according to Crutchfield.com. I'm not sure if there's enough depth and width in the doors.Has anyone done that before and did it work well?
    Does anyone know if there's a Mazda owners club in Toronto? thanks.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Check Crutchfield's database. If they don't list the P5, check by the Protege sedan's specs as the front doors are identical. If your speakers will fit in the sedan's front doors, they'll fit in the P5's front doors.

Stock, the fronts take 5x7/6x8 speakers. A 6x9 will probably involve removal of some sheet metal, which I wouldn't do. Does Polk make a version of this speaker in a 6x8 format?
  • aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    I finally got my p5! not the one I wanted but close.. Silver, manual transmission, no other options..

The car I ordered back in May still hasn't arrived..

The roofrack blades are definately making wind noise.. I looked at em and they almost certainly seem to be backwards as others pointed out on here.. the more aerodynamic part seems to be in the back, and the blocky side is facing the front of the car.. I'll try reversing them and let you know if it makes any difference.

1 other quick question for you p5 owners out there :).. I see a little square on the back of the center console (facing the back seats) is that a cup holder or something?.. I can't seem to open it.. does it open from the top?..

I had a lot of fun driving this car home from the dealer yesterday! turning circle seems so small..

Regards, and thanks all for the informative postings.. New audio system is next on the list for the p5! will let you know how it turns out.

-Mark
    Congrats on your new car, even though it's not the one you ordered initially. The square in the back of the console is not a cup holder. I have a 2001 ES, and it has this same thing there. I don't get it, but I know for a fact it's not a cup holder.
  • captcanuckcaptcanuck Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

Love my p5 after a month of ownership, but somehow I have lost a clip (a small plastic cover)for the holes of my (optional)roof rack. Does anyone know how someone can get these?

Thanks,

captcanuck
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I can tell you what that little square is on the back of the center console, because I used to have a 1992 LX (before my 2000 ES) and they've trimmed down some of the items that used to come standard.

It's a pop-out cover for what USED TO BE a small ashtray for the rear-seat occupants. You'll notice that since smoking is not P.C. anymore, there are no accommodations for smokers in the back seats. I used to like the little ashtray, though, because it offered a place to put gum wrappers and wayward french fries until my next vacuuming!

What are the two things I miss the most from my 1992 Protege that my 2000 Protege doesn't have? I miss the lighted ring around the ignition switch and the low washer fluid warning light. I hear the 2001 model brought these back, dang it ...

And Paul, what are you doing lurking over here? Get your butt back to the Mazda Protege topic where you belong, you four-door imposter!

As long as I'm here, let me re-state my invitation -- we'll be holding the second-annual Mid-Atlantic Protege Picnic in Northern Virginia on Saturday, October 6! Reservations are required! If you're interested, come over to the Mazda Protege topic or e-mail me at:

mdaffron@the-rma.org

Happy zoom-zooming!

Meade
    2000 ES 5-speed with spoiler
    Ex-1992 LX 5-speed
    Ex-1992 LX automatic
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Stop by the dealership at 3 a.m. .....

:)

Meade
    The 2001 models have the lighted ignition key cylinder, which I love. But it does not come with the rear ashtray or the windshield washer fluid warning light. I wish it did.
  • phoenixmp5phoenixmp5 Member Posts: 60
    Mark,

Congrats on your new car. Just wanted to note that only the front rack can be reversed. The rear only fits with the groves to the front of the vehicle. However, by reversing the front bar, you'll most certainly eliminate the highly undesirable wind noise.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Congrats! :-)

-Larry
  • draekdraek Member Posts: 3
    Finally, after 2 months of waiting, my car (silver, 5spd, a/c, moonroof) is here and I'm going to pick it up in a couple hours. Manual transmissions have been so hard to come by. The dealer still has a long list of people there waiting for theirs to arrive. One lone automatic sits in the lot that no one wants here. Will post my thoughts on it after I drive it for a while. Just so happy that the waiting is over at last.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Congrats! Welcome to the Protege Fold. Where in Alberta do you live?? I live in Calgary. Have fun zoom zooming!!

Regards,

Protege_fan
  • fishercoltfishercolt Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how hard it is to install the roof rack on the p5. Dealer said they need a couple of hours.
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    We appear to have a few new Pro5 owners the last couple of days--congrats to all of you! They're fun, aren't they?
  • mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    Hi everybody,
    I picked up a Vivid Yellow Protege5 from Marlin Mazda in Miami on sunday. Automatic, tape player and floor mats were included as options. Love the car. Attracts A LOT of attention, drives great, comfortable and handles like on rails. A little low on power but thats allright.
    The Mazda USA website shows an option for an indash mini-disc player, but in Edmunds pricing and carsdirect pricing, neither lists it as an available option. Does anyone know if the Mini-disc player is actually available? I'd love to have one, since now I use a tape adapter and a portable to take my minidiscs with me and it's a real pain. I don't like to swap out factory units, just never liked the way aftermarket looks, so a factory md would be great. So far the only other car I've seen with factory md was a cadillac.
  • krotinekrotine Member Posts: 93
    My dealer (Pittsburgh, PA) says the mini disc is available, but it will cost about $500.

Jason
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    It's available but at a healthy $593 MSRP. Not sure it's worth it.

:)
    It figures they would give it an outrageous price. I would be willing to kick in $200 for it, but not $500. I wish carmakers would start putting input plugs on their car radios like a lot of aftermarket companies do now. I don't necesarrily mind using a portable player in my car, it's just that the tape adapters are such a pain and don't really sound all that good. Coulnd't cost more than a few pennies to put a simple mini-plug in the front of the radio. Guess it's time to start remaking all my md's on cd's, just a waste of time.
    Ps. Krotine, do you drive 279 from the north into the city, my wife said a red P5 went by her on her way in Wednesday morning, she called me to say she finally saw one on the road. Thought it might have been you.
  • spugsleyspugsley Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone purchased rust protection from their dealer when buying a Protege5? We signed our deal on August 11/01 (blue/auto/moonroof) and the dealership is pushing a rust protection package for $499 which carries a "lifetime" warranty. I read that the Protege5 is built with over 90% anti-corrosion steel. When we purchased rust protection on our 93 Integra and tried to have it applied they gave us the runaround saying the any rust near plastic or rubber was not covered. Does anyone have any suggestions? We plan on keeping the car 5-10 yrs so we don't want it to prematurely rust.
    As for delivery were originally told that it was in port and that we should have it within 10 to 14 days, but when I called the dealer yesterday he said that yes it was in port, but it will not be shipped until the 28th. Then add 5-6 days for rail time to Oakville, ON. Based upon what I've seen here we may have it in the middle of September. I called today and asked for the VIN to see if we really have a car assigned to us, but the salesman was busy.
    Wish us luck.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    After 4800 miles, our black mica P5 still running like new and my wife still dominates the car. She loved the car so much, she drives it to work everyday over our 2000 Millenia S. Gas mileage still not very good for us, more like 23mpg. Maybe it's because SoCal's been so hot lately and AC is always on at #2 or #3.
    BTW, when I serviced my Millenia at Browning Mazda in Cerritos, I saw about ten P5 all colors, except yellow. So if anyone's looking for one, I heard they are the biggest Mazda dealership in SoCal. Also, I saw a Protege MP3 for the first time last weekend at Anaheim Mazda; I know this car's been hard to find, but the one I saw is for sale. I don't know how much markup they're putting on the car though.

zoom-zoom
This discussion has been closed.