Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    himiler:
    Obviously, driving brought out the facts better!

BTW, Turning diameter has nothing to do with strut or double wishbone setup, it is more of a compromise in a choice of steering gear ratio. I wouldn't call it a monstrous difference, but RSX-S steering advantages will probably come at higher speeds compared to other cars with shorter turning diameter. For similar reasons, you'd expect Acura TL Type-S to have a greater turning diameter than Acura TL, although both use double wishbones.

dkneedsnwcr:
    Congrats!
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    That turning circle ranks very high on my priority list. Right below wheel locks.
  • dkneedsnwcrdkneedsnwcr Member Posts: 35
    really helps when you need to make that u-turn in the parking lot.

I've heard that the wheel locks become stripped very quickly. (I heard this from a guy who puts on winter tires, his wore out in 3 years).
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    According to the Edmunds 2001-2002 Sport Coupe Comparison Test, the RSX-S' turning circle is 38.1', which puts it in 5th place of the 6 sports coupes. RSX-S had a turning circle of 38.1'; VW GTI got the gold at 32.8' while the Eclipse was last at 40.0'. The two bona fide sub-$30k sports cars, the Camaro and Mustang, respectively checked in at 40.8' and 38.1'.

Here's the relevant link:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/47901/page020.html

So, himiler, I wouldn't accuse the RSX-S of having a "monster turning circle diameter", although I agree it's not something Acura should brag about, either.

revka, could Edmunds put the entire comparison test as a single, downloadable PDF? It would be much more preferable for printing instead of having to print out each of the 15-18 pages individually. Thanks!

himiler:
    I had not looked at the numbers and what you called monster turning diameter. Prelude got 37.4 feet, and RSX-S got 38.1 feet. That is a difference of about 8" in diameter when going through a full circle! 36-38 feet is generally considered a norm.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    The RSX has a shorter (not by much, though) wheelbase than the Prelude. I would assume that it should also have a shorter turning radius.
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    Edmund's did a real road test with performance stats and everything. I wonder if they hired an outside firm that has the equipment (and race drivers) and everything to get the proper #s. I don't think they 've ever done this before, have they? The reason I think they didn't do the actual track tests themselves, is because they only commented on how the car felt around the city or the country back roads, especially the editor comments. Details about their behavior at the track were not given as much. I think "professional drivers" handled the performance part of the tests, and I 'm glad. They results look pretty accurate because when I used to race my GSR when it was stock, against my friend's '98 Prelude SH we were dead even to 60mph and 1/4 mi (thus the 7.2s & 15.6-7 that every magazine reported on '99-00 GSRs..). 6.7s for the RSX is respectable & very close to the '00-01 ITR's. Properly broken in and after 10k mi. it 'll be capable of mid to low 6's and high 14's in the 1/4 (there are already reports of stock RSX's doing 14's at the strip on street tires). It can certainly match or beat 328's at the light, and give a $40K 330 a run for its money. On country roads it 'll have them for breakfast as the heavier Bimmers are not as agile and all that cracked up to be. My friend gets so mad when I leave him in the dust on country back roads. He insists his Prelude handled so much better than his new 330ci (3450lbs!) and always talks about how much he misses having the Lude.
    The fun-to-drive factor is what it's all about.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
    Diameter of the turning circle is not determined as much by wheelbase as it is by steering setup, one of the reasons you'd see truly monstrous turning diameter in Champ cars.

You'd see quite a difference between Acura TL and Acura TL-S too. The steering on the Type-S being tighter (probably tuned better for stability at higher speeds) also has a greater turning diameter. I'd be curious to see how Civic Si performs in this department since it supposedly uses VGS, something that could make RSX-S even more interesting. And that could happen, since latest rumor on next Accord (JDM) is to have it as standard equipment on top trim level(s).
    right. I went to Yahoo Autos because I remember seeing the turning diameter in their "specs" for most cars. I looked up my Civic EX and it said 34.x! 4" less than RSX-S. This doesn't mean much, especially not that it's a better handling car, or better slalom, etc. I know the steering is superior in the RSX..
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • lenaplenap Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I hope someone can help us. My husband and I got an RSX in August and it has about 1600 miles on it now. The past couple of days there has been a nasty burned rubber smell after even a short drive coming from the tail or the undercarriage of the car. The coolant was low, which was weird, and we refilled it but it is still smelly. (The smell is like rubber, not coolant or oil.) We're going to the dealer tomorrow, but they have been less than helpful and seem less than concerned, so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for us.

Thanks much! -- lena
  • uthinxuthinx Member Posts: 21
    There are two possibilities for the smell. One is gasoline that is too high in sulfur content. The other more likely is that your RSX is one that needs the new ECU software update available for free at your dealer; takes about 15 minutes overall and will also improve your gas mileage. If your service department doesn't know about the update I suggest you go to another dealer. (This is also the general cause for the check engine light having come on in some RSXs as the fuel mixture was a bit too rich. The other reason was people improperly tightening their gas caps or even occasionally leaving them behind at the pumps.)
  • kane12kane12 Member Posts: 7
    I bought my 2002 Acura RSX Type S several months ago. The car now has 5,000 miles on it and it is currently in the dealership having the engine replaced. We first noticed that there was a problem when the car began driving badly, and we realized that the car was using a unusual amount of oil within the engine. ( About a quart of oil per 500 miles) The dealer tells us that they have not seen any problems like this so far, but in talking with different people, I am getting the impression that there may possibly be a flaw with the design on the vehicle. I would like to know of ANYONE else out there that may be experiencing a similar problem. Please e-mail me if you have.
    you folks are scaring me now. I just picked the car up ... no problems yet, just a burning oil smell, but the dealer said that's to be expected for the first little bit as the engine gets worked in.

500kms so far and not a problem ... knock on wood.

Kane12, please let me know what you found. I'm going to become a worry wort I think.
    I'm doing this for the benefit of our new RSX board readers and participants. A while ago (message #508 posted on Oct. 11, 2001) I complained about how the sketch of the RSX was so much sexier than the vehicle Acura sells today. I had posted pictures as evidence, but since that time, I've lost use of that server. I recently uploaded the pictures on another account and will repost them here. Again, this is for the benefit of our new members who might be checking the previous comments and cannot see those pictures. However, as to not clog up this page, I'll simply provide the links, and you can view the pictures yourself instead of me forcefeeding it to you. After clicking on the link, you might need to hit your browser's refresh/reload to bypass an error message. For your convenience, here's message #508:

... there is obviously a resemblance between the sketch of the Acura RSX and the actual vehicle that roams the roads today. However, I don't think they look very similar at all. IMHO, the bigwigs at Acura took the designers' sketch and made the engineers tone it down (made it more conservative looking). Since seeing is believing, I'll let this discussion board decide.

First, the tantalizing artist's rendition:
    http://www.geocities.com/beowulf747/AcuraRSX/AcuraRSXsketch.jpg

Now, the unexciting photo:
    http://www.geocities.com/beowulf747/AcuraRSX/AcuraRSXphoto.jpg

Maybe it's an optical illusion since the sketch has all that shiny glare. Regardless, I would have much preferred a production car looking like the drawing. Is anyone from Acura reading this board? Is it too late to change it for the 2003 model ;-)
    as best that I can. Slowly accelerate, brake REALLY REALLY early. It's fun to sit at the light, have folks stare, and then when the light goes green, have them 'blow my doors' so to speak.

It's kinda like in Back to the Future (2 or 3? can't remember).

Anyways, knock on wood ... the car's one week old and I'm halfway to the break-in.
    :)
    Mostly cruising speed too, about 60mph in 6th most of the time.

Just a quick question before I go. Do I need to get the new 'program' for the OBD (or whatever it is)? How do I know if I need it? I got the car last Friday, 1 day after they called to tell me it had arrived.

Thanks.
    or the engine will go. All Acura dealers have received crucial instructions from Honda to urge all new RSX buyers to strictly follow break-in procedures. Any trips close to redline in the first 1,000 mi. will result in engine damage. My friend's friend that works at the dealership said that they were told on the phone by Honda engineers to ask customers not to exceed 5k RPMs the first 500mi. but to try not to alarm the customers, sort of hush-hush.. This is unusual for Honda or any car, but it seems they messed up somewhere on the design and made the motor NOT very fault tolerant during break-in period.
    All you have to do is just accelerate slowly and don't go into the high RPMs for at about 1500k mi. After that gradually go up to higher REVs and don't do it in 1 day. Go to 6k at first. The next day 6500, then 7k, etc. Also don't forget to vary your engine speeds (RPMs) during break-in. This is just as important! don't leave it on cruise control! The best way to do this is to find a not so traveled country road or highway and in 4th gear go from 30 to 60-65mph. Then coast back down to 30mph. Then accelerate slowly again to 60-65mph. Honda engineer & race car driver Ken Woods told me back in '98 to do this at least 20 times all in one shot before the car reaches 200mi. After that he said you should still vary your RPMs but not as religiously as I described above. The above procedure can be dangerous. I was on the right lane on a 3 lane highway after I picked up my new GSR from the dealer. Cars would come up dangerously close as I deccelerated down to 30-35mph even though I had my emergency lights on!
    Anway, RSXs, especially the Type-S seem to have a very low tolerance during break-in period. Drive your RSX like you used to drive when your grandma was in the car!
    There 's another perfect reason why I hate buying cars 1st year out. My '01 Civic has a recall and a dozen TSB's already..
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    this is the car that is talked about in here before .I am mazda tech at dealer and my rsx has piston slap which results in oil consuption the tech at acura working on my car now has told me it measures in factory specs.This is a design flaw and hopefullly honda will make some mods to pistons to prevent this . This car was diven very sensibly at break in untill first oil change at 2500 miles .So if u got one watch the oil level closely there are more out there .maybe they will get it right next year . As for me i will not take this vehicle with a new engine and have already hired legal counsil.And as any high peformance car it takes time to work out the kinks to beware.
    a "piston slap"?
    I 'm curious too.. Are the pistons out of spec, slapping the cylinder walls?
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • uthinxuthinx Member Posts: 21
    I think we're all trying to decipher your post, Kane12, as it seems a bit scrambled. Are you saying that a technician at a Mazda dealer told you youhave piston slap? Are you certain that he is not just hearing the iVTEC kick in with the different sound from the second sets of cams? I really think that you should go to another Acura dealer for a second opinion or if you distrust all Acura dealers now maybe consider Toyota since the Celica also uses a variable valve timing set up; but not a Mazda dealership where the techs probably have no training at all on VTECs let alone iVTECs.
    you took apart the engine, had a Mazda Technician take dimensionals on the pistons (and whatever else) and they claimed that they are in spec? Where would you get these specs and tolerances?

I'm not disbelieving what you've said, I just find it rather difficult to obtain specs on a relatively new part that hasn't been in production for too long. Nevermind the fact that you got the dimensionals from another Manufacturer. Perhaps those specs were for Mazdas?

Best of luck to you in your lawsuit. Perhaps they'll publish what a "piston slap" is.
    :)

Sorry for being a smarta$$, it's just the way you've gone about it that causes me to reply in this way.
  • asilch02asilch02 Member Posts: 7
    It seems there aren't many people who like the rsx, has anyone had a good experience so far? hopefully most people have more reasons not to like them other then an armrest, especially if you have a manual.
    and I absolutely love the car.

In a comparison to my '88 Accord (which I hopped into last nite cuz I needed to clear the driveway to get my car) it's a dream (mind you, 13 years of advancement may have something to do with it as well).

The steering is crisp (didn't think the accord was vague, but after sitting in the RSX for a week, it sure felt vague). The stick is wonderful (just love the short shifts). Handles like pen on paper (searching for some imagery, best I can come up with).

There's nothing that I can find wrong with the car. There's some nitpicking (sightlines like I said before, and I'm having some problems going from 1st to 2nd), but minor in the overall scheme of things.

Don't like the break-in period (but what new car doesn't have one?). Don't care about the head turning quotient, although I do get some, it's not the reason I got the car. Love the seats (especially the heat when it's cold in the morning), climate control.

Uhmm ... can't think of anything more. So, to sum it up ... I love this car.

Derek
  • cirrus3cirrus3 Member Posts: 4
    I almost sprang for an RSX Type S...until driving it a third time and nearly scraping the back end into a metal pole at the dealer's lot. I'm afraid having been entranced with the wonderful 6-speed shifter, sweet engine, and driver-oriented ergonomics of the interior (as well as the performance value of the car), I had totally ignored the absolutely TERRIBLE visibility at the back corners. Trying to back this car up is a matter of closing your eyes and crossing your fingers.

If the wedgy, upswept shape were actually attractive, perhaps this could be forgiven, but it is deadly dull "Honda Civic generic" (c'mon Honda, that grill has got to go), and, IMO, just isn't worth the hassle. If I had to stay under $25,000, I'm afraid I'd have to go with the WRX, ugly or not. Instead, I opted for a 3-series coupe. Better design, better visibility, and actual torque.

Shame, did love that shifter.
    And since I spend most of my time going forward FAST I'm not too worried about the view backing up. And most of the magazines seem to love it, and they are selling better than Acura expected them too. Seems most RSX owner are spending their time driving their cars and not posting on Edmunds.
    The car has NOT been taken to a Mazda dealership at all, all services have been done at the Acura dealership, You apparently misunderstood that I am the Mazda Technician, I have not done any work myself on this car.

"Piston Slap" is where the skirts on the pistons are not long enough to compensate the side to side motion of the piston inside the cylinder, which cocks the piston slightly sideways inside the cylinder, letting compression and oil get by. This can only be a result of poor engineering.

The engine is apart now , and has been measured at Acura and is within factory spec. I myself witnessed the motor torn apart which pistons had 1/8" to 1/4" of play inside the cylinder. This is a common problem on drag racing motors which use short skirt pistons but this method will not work as a every day driver, nor drag race application if the slap is too much.

This not just a problem with ONE car, this is a design flaw and will effect other vehicles the same way.

if you own one... CHECK YOUR OIL REGULARLY!
    I have read a lot about how the break-in period on the RSX isn't very tolerant. I went to test drive an RSX and obviously i ran it some so see what it really had and how it did breaking and turning. After this I realized most people test drive the car like this, so should i order one? Instead of buying off the lot? so that way i know it hasn't been run at all
    it was new from the wrapper. I know I test drive cars a lot rougher than I would drive my own car.
    It's tough but you have to go test drive a new car first, then make your best deal with the dealer, give them a deposit, and then wait for a brand new one to come in and buy that one before anyone touches it. I buy all my new cars like this. I recently test drove a black Civic EX and then told the dealer that I really wanted a blue one which I knew he didn't have. I waited about 10 days and he called me as soon as he got one in. It had 1.7mi on it and he swore noone drove it except off the truck and around the lot to park it. I think most of the mileage is driving them from the factory to the train which usually runs right through the property where they are built. Now I don't really abuse new cars when I test drive them and never go to red line but usually try and go at least 2/3's up the RPM range.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    Checked my oil last nite. Doesn't seem that any of it has been burnt (oil level is very very close to the top mark).
    I still find it hard to believe that the brilliant engineers at Acura (I'm not being sarcastic) would not have caught this "bug", especially when considering that the RSX was being developed for years as the successor to the Integra. If it the break-in period is that significant, is there a chance that Acura would have a recall on RSX-S engines? Even more, is it possible that Acura would release a "2002.5" version of the RSX(-S) which solves this problem?

I also have a general comment about engine break in. Why don't auto manufacturers break in the engine for us before selling us the car? I assume that it takes 1000-1500 miles for sufficient break in. Since engines are covered for 36,000-100,000 miles (depending on the make), having the engine pre-run for 1000 or 1500 miles doesn't seem like a bad idea. That way, once you get the car, you can drive it to its full capabilities (i.e. red-lining the engine).
  • soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    So even if manufacturers make the engine non-brake in one you will need to watch sudden stops or brake grinding etc....

Also now a days brake in period is supposed to be VERY short.....may be 400-600 miles which you can put in less than a week.....

Also vbiloation of brakein period does NOT void your warranty...it is just believed to be better for longer life (150+k miles) of an engine (by brake-in superstitous people!!)
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    What's the break in period on RSX? My Honda dealer tells me to change break in oil at 3750 miles on my CRV02 I thought thats long long long.
    My dealer told me the break in period was 1000km (622 miles). Going to hit that point tomorrow.

Oil changes for every 8000kms (~5000 miles).

To all the RSX owners, what type of mileage are you folks getting? If you reply, could you also let me know which model you have?

Currently, I'm getting around 26mpg with a Type S.

Thanks.

Derek
  • tnguyen74tnguyen74 Member Posts: 65
    Dealer told me break in is 600 miles but I waited till 1000 miles. After that it's Yee-Haw time!! This car is a blast to drive compared to my 00 Accord V6.

As for mileage I'm getting around 26-27 combined city/hwy driving. Btw, this is on the TYPE S model.
    these cars r having trouble with oil consuption and u need too chech your oil every time u get gas . rsx type s that i have uses 1 qt every 500 miles
  • bodukeboduke Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know at what RPM the vtec kicks in for both the Type-S and Base Models? Thanks.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    You mentioned that you have sought legal counsel, what action are you taking? Are you going to try and get American Honda to buy the car back from you? Or do you want them to give you a brand-new unit? If you're not at liberty to say, I understand.

It's hard to believe an engine manufacturer such as Honda would have such a design flaw. Although, nothing is perfect, of course.
    As being a technician I know this car will never be the same. The car is at the dealer now and I saw for myself the loose pistons in the cyls. I am interested in them buying the car back or give me a new car from one of the dealerships owned buy the family that sold me the car. They own several in my area and just interested in getting a reliable car.As for this one they got the trans,engine, and the entire cradle droped out of the car. This car should be used for safty testing. They should take it back or replace it . I think they should throw some dummys in it and send it into a wall. Always been a honda fan but very disappointed at this model car . As said before this is a problem some high peformance engine builders run into alot when experimenting with a new design.No one is perfect and even honda as all manufactuers have had problems in the past.We all know that they are one of the most reliable cars out there but I think they need to address this problem. Cause i asure u this is not just one car that has this problem. They r putting a new engine in but I asked if they did and modifications and they tell me no .So there for this car will burn oil once again when I get it back.This is why I am refusing this car. I like every thing else about this car other wise .It will run with any sports car in the same price range and will stomp on it . Is alot of horse power for a 2 liter. If i could just keep the oil in the engine. It would be a great car.
    The RSX was out in Japan for at least 6 months before we got it if there was an inherent problem this soon you'd think they'd have caught it by now.
    Beaowulf7, i was at the acura dealer two days ago and asked about a "2002.5", the car dealer verified with his manager that there will be no 2002.5, and the 2003's will be released in spetember. That's not to say they wont change their mind.
    To anyone living in canada- recently my neighbor purchased an Infiniti QX4 in Canada for 8,000 dollars less then the US sticker price, with the same options. I was told the price difference was due to the exchange rate of money. My neighbor said he has spoken with lots of people who have done the same thing. I live about 3 hours away from Canada, so i was wondering if this holds true on the Acura's as well, how much is the sticker price for the 2002 rsx-s there?
    are always LOWER than US prices. I was thinking of doing the same thing with a Civic EX coupe I recently bought. The Canadian stickers may sound high but they 're really not once you translate them to US $$. The Canadian EX sticker was about $20K Canadian. That translates to $14K US! US sticker is $16.9K. A $2900 difference! Had I gone up to Canada and talked them down, I probably would've gotten the car for $13K US. I was able to get it for $200 over invoice ($15,495) here in NY so I didn't bother driving up to Canada which would 've been a 5.5hr drive (Montreal). I wasn't sure of what the laws are and everything or even if a Canadian car is totally legal in the US without having to change anything. I would assume the speedometer and odometer are in KM, because when I was in Montreal in the late '80's everything was in kilometers. Next time I 'm in the market for a more expensive or luxury car I will definitely do some more research and see what it takes to bring a car here from Canada. $8K is definitely worth it! I don't know why Americans always get screwed by Honda.. In Canada they have a special Edition Civic EX (called EL there) with leather seats/steering/shifter, CD changer, alloy wheels, 4-wheel disc brakes, heated seats, mirrors, etc. for $15K US!! That car would be over $19K here. I just don't get it. I think it must have to do with the per capita salaries or something, or the salary wages of those building the cars. It must cost more to build American Hondas in Ohio than it does to build the Canadian Hondas in Canada. I would imagine the RSX wouldn't be too much cheaper because it's built in Japan but it might be worth looking into. You never know. Besides, I 'd rather look at the speedometer and see 120(km) rather than a boring 70-72 and I can say I 've hit 200 (120mph) when people ask how fast I 've had it up to :-)
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    The kick-in applies to RSX-S only. Both use continuously variable (intake) valve timing, so there is no kickin from that point. However, RSX-S also has a VTEC (exhaust) x-over at about 5000 rpm, so thats it. Base RSX has just one shot from idle to redline.
    I know the cars from Canada are legal and pass our emissions and everything but does anyone know if the Honda/Acura warranty holds in the US, or does it void if the car is from Canada
    If you haven't read the article yet, you might want to check out:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/preview/articles/48117/article.html

The Tiburon, at least from the pictures and predicted specs, is looking like a better car than the RSX-S. At the least, this new generation Tiburon can eat up some of the RSX's market share. It looks like a poor man's Ferrari 456, which makes for better styling than the RSX's Civic look. Its 17" wheels are superior to the RSX's 16" joke. 2.7 L engine may or may not be superior, but it should be quieter. Hopefully, it won't have the annoying oil guzzling problem that some claim the RSX does. I don't know how its 7-speaker Infinity sound system compares with the RSX-S' 7-speaker Bose package. Oh yeah, those sexy dual-exhaust pipes on the Hyundai!

How will Acura respond for the 2003 RSX? C'mon Acura, we know you can give us a pleasant surprise! IMHO, it will require more effort than merely putting in a center console/arm rest. I don't mean to be so hard on Acura since I drive one of their vehicles myself. Nevertheless, Hyundai, of all manufacturers, has raised the bar. Let's see you jump it, Acura.

• 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    unless i fell asleep for a few months, i don't know where all of a sudden the rsx is an oil burner. one unfortunate driver must have bought a lemon. read the hyundai board..... they're all lemons there. the rattles alone would drive most of us nuts.
    since when are 16" wheels a joke?
    the 2003 tiburon is a nice looking car. if you are impressed with cosmetics you'll love to show off your dual exhaust and 17" rims as you're waiting for the tow truck for another trip to the dealership.
    give me proven reliability anytime over flash.
  • soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    Hyundai is a good buy for someone looking for a used Hondas. i.e. get a new car with warrranty instead of used Honda/Acura & THATS IT !! :-))
    I didn't mean to diss RSX's tires because they were only 16"; I wanted to highlight the fact that Acura uses poor performance and substandard tires for their Integras/RSXs.

Yes, the Hyundai was a joke in terms of reliability and workmanship. But they are trying to change that. Why doesn't Acura offer a 10-year 100,000-mile power train warranty like Hyundai?

I admit I was (and still am) also a skeptic with any Korean car company when it comes to reliability. However, they deserve a second chance, and as the article implies, the 2003 Tiburon might make people think differently of Hyundai.
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    it sure would be nice if all manufacturers would offer a warranty like hyundai. the simple reason is that hyundai had to do that to increase sales. do you think hyundais would sell without that warranty?
    with acura's reputation for reliability, they don't have to resort to a lifetime warranty.
    anyway, i still don't understand why anyone would compare acura with hyundai?
    the acura is a different class of car and would win in any comparison test.
This discussion has been closed.