Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet C6 Corvette

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options
    motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    My first Vette was a 91 with little extras but now I have a 02 with Hud, telescoping wheel, and memory seats and I would hate to have to go back to a base car, but any Vette is better that no Vette. You will love which ever one you get. I hope to be able to get a new 08 later this year with 430 Hp.
  • Options
    buddejr8buddejr8 Member Posts: 2
    Why would you need a base corvette for $40K? Call Ernie von Schledorn Chevrolet in Random Lake, WI and get a deal on the vette you want. Have your Vette shipped with Passport (a division of FedEx) if you aren't local
  • Options
    exzur2071exzur2071 Member Posts: 43
    I womder why the Scunacher battrey charger works fine with the 2001 Pontiac Aztek and would not charge the battery of the 2005 C6 Corvette. Maybe, someone knows.

The my knowledge the C6 corvette battery is the regular 12V lead acid type and not the gel or deep cycle kind of.
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Bad battery?

If a battery takes 'no charge' or takes a high charge and never tapers down to a lower amperage charge - both these mean the battery is a goner and will never recharge and perform adequately.
  • Options
    Thanks bolivar. Problem is the dealer check the battery and they say it is okay. The Scumacher 1500A also work on my third car, a 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged. It also works fine on my lawn tractor battery.

On the Corvette, the charger switches to desulfating mode, i.e. the charger green light blinking instead of steady. The % charged light don't get past 15.The desulfation rans up to five to six hours.

I am driving the vette and the battery is fine.
  • Options
    Anybody knows how to maintain the C6 Corvette battery fully charged while in storage for more than three weeks?
  • Options
    dbr3nnandbr3nnan Member Posts: 14
    You can try a Battery Tender ($30 - 40). Keeps the battery fully charged through a trickle charge.
  • Options
    gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    I agree on the "Bose Blows" bit...until now.
    The Bose units in my '01 and '03 Z06's were horrible!
    Recently, I picked up my '08 coupe and have been very impressed with the Bose unit in this car. Night and day between the older units and this one. Have no idea what they did, nor have I made any attempt to verify changes but it is dramatic.
    Who knows, maybe GM listened to all the complaints about the old units and acted on the issue.
  • Options
    joevette1joevette1 Member Posts: 1
    For all concerned just pu my VY 2008 coupe 4lt, Z51, NPP Auto six speed. Car is loaded. It is just a beautiful, refined machine. GM has done their best to close the door on some of the prior negatives. The interior is just beautiful, fit and finish superb...Boy we have come a long way and it appears we will continue to do so..If you are in the market go and treat yourself....Joe
  • Options
    toquinhotoquinho Member Posts: 28
    Cold weather folks - how do you store your car for 6 months or so? I've leaving the US for 1/2 of the year and would like to raise my '07 C6 from the ground so the tires aren't damaged. Is it possible to raise the car by jacking-up each wheel and placing cinder bricks or something similar underneath the chassis? Are there particular locations where the weight can be handled with damaging the car?

Or should I just let the car stand on its tires for the whole 1/2 year?

Also, anything else to do other than disconnect the battery? Any special trick due to the FOB feature?

thanks much!
  • Options
    Read your owner's manual, it shows the under body jack points.

The car can also be supported on the side rails. There is an area where the body color plastic does not wrap under the car, jack stands can be placed there. Do not place jacks or stands on the wrapped around plastic, the plastic will break, and this is a very expensive repair.

The battery should not be allowed to freeze. If you pull it out and place in on a concrete floor, it will discharge in 6 months.

You can buy trickle charger that you can leave connected all the time to the battery. This is possibly the best thing to do. Removing a cable should be done even if there is a trickle charger used.

When you hook the battey back up, the windows must be re-indexed. Read your manual for this.

Add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank and run the motor for a couple minutes before the final shutdown.

Change the oil just before shutting it down.

I've never actually done this, so I really don't know what works. The above is just some of the things I've seen discussed.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    to pump up the tires to their MAX load capacity so they don't flatten out.

You could always lend the car to me and I'll make sure it gets driven, washed, & driven some more:) :P

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    billmlbbillmlb Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I have a 2007 C6 with Z51 pkg and 6 speed manual. I'm having two non-consistent problems, one sounds a little like your gear/bearing noise.

1) When I first start-up the car, sometimes I hear a tapping noise and think it might be the lifters.

2) After backing up, I shift into first and after a few hundred feet, I sometimes get a very loud metal-on-metal grinding noise. It kind of sounds and feels like a bicycle chain slipping and clanking against a metal shield. The noise lasts for a few seconds, it also feels like the car hesitates and then catches and moves forward. This doesn't always happen.

Naturally I cannot duplicate these problems when the car is at the dealers!

BillMLB
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    The first one sounds like a little clatter before the oil is warmed up and fully circulating.

The second one sounds like the ABS system initializing.
  • Options
    coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    the first one should not be happening if you are using the correct weight oil and using synthetic. If you are still getting it, then you need to take it back to the dealer.
  • Options
    Depends how long the car is sitting between starts. If the car has been sitting several days or more, you may hear some lifter noise.

I don't drive mine very often, and get lifter noise for a couple of seconds after startup.

And I don't worry about it.
  • Options
    billmlbbillmlb Member Posts: 2
    Hey bolivar,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I don't drive my car very often either and you may be right!

BillMLB
  • Options
    toydriver1toydriver1 Member Posts: 11
    My '07 C6 6sp auto coupe now has 3500 miles on the odo. Recently I have noticed a "grinding" noise coming from somewhere in the rear while slowly turning in either direction. This only happens when I first start driving the car and the engine oil, etc. is still cold. Once I drive for 10 miles or so, the noise goes away.
    I seem to remember reading about some similar posts describing similar noises, but I can't find them at the moment. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. I plan to address it with them at the time of the first oil change later this summer, unless this is a problem that requires more immediate attention.

Does this sound like a problem developing within the rear differential ?
    Is there a TSB describing such a noise ?
    What's the fix ?
  • Options
    Do you hear the noise only when turning, or also in a straight line?

IF turning, it's probably a noisy rear differential. Chevy limited slip differentials have made noise for many, many years. The noise in the Corvettes seems to become worse, from what I've read, over the last few years. Chevy have been changing the fluid and additive over the last couple of years to find something that will resist the noise. They have again come out with a new fluid in the last few months, which seems to be helping many people.

If you dealer has sold many Corvettes, the service department should be well aware of noisy rear diffs. They have TSBs to look at which should give them the newest fluid to use.

A noisy diff does not harm much. As you drive the car, and do not make many sharp turns, the lubricating fluid is forced out of the friction plates in the diff. The dry plates then make noise when the car is turned sharply. If you would take the car to any empty lot and drive in tight circles or figure 8's for about 8 loops, you will open up the plates and fluid will get in there and the noise will stop. For a while at least.
  • Options
    Do you hear the noise only when turning, or also in a straight line?

ONLY while turning sharply. For example, turning into a parking spot or backing onto the street from my driveway. ONLY when steering wheel fully "cranked" to either side. NO noise when driving in a straight line.

I haven't driven the car aggressively. Mostly, a weekend cruiser and summer evening driving with the wife. Typically the only "sharp" turns are at less than 15mph.

The dealer where the service will be performed is different than where I purchased the car, but they do have the most experience in our metro area
    ( typically have 5 to 10 new vettes and 3 or 4 used ones on their lot at any given time). So, taking your advice I will assume that they know how to check for TSBs and will be willing to change the fluid, since it is under warranty.

Thanks for your advice. I'll try the "tight circles in a parking lot" routine and see if that helps too.
  • Options
    Also,,,,

front tire noise.....

Because of the alignment and the super wide tires, a C6 Corvette turned at full lock, moving slowly, will actually scrub (slide) the front tires. And you will be able to hear this. Completely normal, nothing to worry about, and nothing can or should be done about this.
  • Options
    Yes, I've gotten use to the front tire "scrub". Annoying as it is, this isn't the "noise" that I was talking about before. Clearly the noise comes from the rear and sounds mechanical. A low pitch grind or clunk for only a few seconds. I hear it at low speed only when turning. It also seems to go away once the car is warmed up and after driving for several miles. The car works perfectly. No power loss or anything like that.
    I think you were "spot on" when you described the situation with the limited slip diff. I'll report back after a few "tight circles" in the parking lot and see if that temporarily cures the noise.

thanks again for your input.
  • Options
    Bolivar:
    After several "figure 8s" in a local parking lot, the noise went away..............................until it was parked for a few days. Then I heard the same thing when pulling into a parking spot. Low pitch grind like metal components rubbing. Again, I don't hear it after the car warms up and I don't hear it when cornering at speeds over 30 mph or so. I found reference to the TSB about "rear differential noise" in the Edmund's service link for my '07 C6.

I'll need lube service within the next month so I'll have the dealer address the noise at that time. Hopefully they'll put some new and improved lubricant in the differential reservoir.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    ybpoorybpoor Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my first Corvette, a new 2006 on May 30, 2007. The car now has 2380 miles. Unfortunately for me I've spend the last 4 months overseas and the 12 month period everyone seems to be referring to has obviously passed. I assume now that I am only eligible to purchase an "aftermarket" extended warranty and not GMPP. Since this is my weekend driver and plan on putting no more than 5000 miles a year, the length not the mileage is more important to me. If I am not eligible for GMPP does anyone know of or can suggest which company offers the best plans/prices? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    You can buy the GMPP plan until the orginial 3yr/36,000mile warranty expires.

Most/many dealers will offer it. They will want to sell you some aftermarket warranty, probably because they make more money on this. But the GMPP will probably cost more. If a Chevy dealer does not offer the GMPP, go to another one.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    As stated - you can still buy GMPP -
    just at a higher price than if purchased before 12\12...
    You can buy this at any dealership - and some
    specialize.
    I saved hundreds buying this way...
    Good luck!
    - Ray
    Drove over 2300 miles in less than the first 2 months in my [ DD ] Corvette...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    I previously mentioned that my '07 C6 with 4.5K miles had developed a noise in the rear while driving slowly and making tight turns. Apparently, Vettes are known for noisey rear differentials.

I had lube service done today and while at the dealer they replaced the rear differential fluid with something "new" from GM" and described in a technical service bulletin ( listed on Edmunds ). The service writer seemed familiar with the problem but was typically hesitant to give "too many" details.
    This fixed the problem and the car now drives like it did when it was new. I hope this new lubricant continues to solve the "problem".

Thanks for the assistance in describing the problem and the "fix".
  • Options
    nplotkinnplotkin Member Posts: 1
    2008 Coupe, the left rear wheel well does not fit well to the body, you can actually slide your fingers between the edge of the wheel well black liner and the exterior quarter panel. The dealer says there is no correction. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Since no one else has responded - here is my $0.02:

I would immediately take it to another Dealer - one that has
    a Corvette Tech & a good reputation for customer
    service...

Not trying to be a wise [non-permissible content removed] - there are lots of Chevy Dealers to choose from...

Good luck!
    - Ray
    C6 A6 07
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    immoeimmoe Member Posts: 15
    2005 6-speed Z51 has the dreaded dead battery syndrome. It is my understanding that some component needs to be reflashed. My dealer is less than helpful so could someone educate me on the particulars and if possible a TSB# or other info so I can educate the dealer and get this done. Any other suggestions from 2005 owners would be appreciated. The vehicle only has 1621 miles. Thanks!!!
  • Options
    saholzsaholz Member Posts: 5
    DBS is directly related to the requirement that all 2005 manual transmission cars must be placed in reverse for a proper shutdown of the electronics. Assuming that you always shift to reverse when shutting down, DBS refers to an unexplained battery drain on properly shut down cars, and typically occurs within 48 hours of the car being turned off.

If this is the cause of your problems, rather than just a weak battery, GM has issued a TSB that calls for a reflash of the BCM, or Body Control Module. This reflash has been completely successful in addressing the problem. I don't have the TSB # handy, but any dealer should be able to find it in their computer database.
  • Options
    yellowvetteyellowvette Member Posts: 25
    You can go to www.alldatadiy.com and click on technical service bulletins and recalls, enter your car and see all tsb's for your car.
  • Options
    And, with a 3-4 year old battery, it might just be time for a new battery. The battery in these things is small, only 550 or so CCA, which the cheapest battery at Walmart can beat, and the car has a lot of electronics in it. For the low milage you stated, you cannot be driving the car regularly enough to recharge a battery.

But given all of the above, yes, there is a TSB on reflashing the logic in one of the car's computers. This should be done no matter what.

It's a shame if your dealer is not really wanting to help you here. This is a very well known problem, and a dealership servicing any amount of 2005 manual cars should know about this. And even if the car is out of warranty, the dealer should be willing to do this for your car.
  • Options
    loragenloragen Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to revive this old thread. Same car. I've had it to the dealer for this problem several times and they know nothing about this problem with this model, but they said they reflashed the computer. It is possible that they only did the DCM, not the BCM. Is there any way to determine what has been done, or any way to reflash this myself. Is there any aftermarket equipment that would allow me to do this myself?

Thanks much.
  • Options
    cunning1cunning1 Member Posts: 1
    I have called two dealers so far and they can't seem to find it. They did find TSB# 070603001B for re-flash of the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR).
    I am assuming this is a different issue. He said it was related to 2005 - 2007 models. Does anyone have the TSB # for the 2005 - 6 speed DBS problem?

Thanks!
  • Options
    If a dealer works on any number of Corvettes at all, the service people should know about the 2005 manual tranny dead battery problem - and that there is a procedure to solve it.

Find a more knowledgable dealer.

Are you sure it's just not a bad battery? These batteries are small. If you let your car sit without running for several weeks at a time, the batteries on most of them will run down. And if a battery has been killed once, it will never recover to its full power.
This discussion has been closed.