Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• Options
    gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    John: That is some kind of tease. Interesting. The Yamaha V-8 has been discussed here. Me thinks Ford reads this forum.
  • Options
    gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    I am trying to visualize a 500 with a fusion front clip.HMMMMMM.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    That article says "Any car that competes with the Chrysler 300 is going to suffer by comparison," www.Insideline.com's Rich Homan said.

To which I might add, "Among teenage buyers."....
  • Options
    ...or most car critics, which isn't much of a difference in most cases! :)
  • Options
    wnicholswnichols Member Posts: 42
    You speak of dropping the Vic (and so the Marquis would likely also go). I think that would be a mistake.

I have a '99 Grand Marquis that has been a great car. I considered the 500/Montego as a possible replacement. That is, until I sat in and drove one. Loved the trunk space. However, the center console ruins it for me as it does not leave enough leg room for me. I want to be comfortable, not cramped in my cars. I would seriously consider it without the space-eating console. The FWD is also a problem as I like RWD.

So, why should I downsize when I can still get a Vic or Marquis? Heck, they were advertising a new '05 Grand Marquis GS for $16495 after rebates here last week.
  • Options
    corcor Member Posts: 27
    If they dropped that 311hp V8 into it along with ditching the "mast" style antenna; I'd head over to my local Ford dealer immediately....... I'll take mine Black on Black please!!!!
  • Options
    avantiavanti Member Posts: 27
    Anybody heard? Order bank opens in just a few weeks - someone must know something...
    Anyone heard more about the Montego wagon version (of the Freestyle)? Last I read it was a 2007...
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Here are the changes for the 2006 Ford Five Hundred.

EXERIOR CHANGES • Colors Added: Silver Birch • Colors Deleted: Silver Frost Clearcoat Metallic

FUNCTIONAL CHANGES
    • Traction control optional on FWD. (Standard on
    AWD)
    • FWD SE, Continuously Variable Transmission is
    the only transmission available

OPTION CHANGES
    • Family Entertainment System available on SEL
    and Limited
    • Leather Seats (H) available on SE
    • Navigation System Available on Limited

Well navi will be here for 06.

Mark
  • Options
    What? STILL no satellite radio from the factory?

What IS up with FoMoCo and Sirius? GM puts XM in darn near everything that moves.

Oh, well. Matters not much to me, I'd rather have a PNP3 anywho! :) (PNP3: Aftermarket portable from Audiovox that also can be used as a home unit with the proper cradle and antenna)
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Antennas imbedded in glass have much poorer reception than mast antennas. Ford, keep the mast antennas, please! Don't compromise functionality for style ever!
  • Options
    felixc1976felixc1976 Member Posts: 31
    Will MY2006 500/Montego get a Fusion style grille?
  • Options
    jrdoajrdoa Member Posts: 11
    A few questions.

1. What, if any, are the differences between these two cars?
    2. Has the problem in the ordering/getting the AWD Montego's been resolved?
    3. Will incentives ever kick-in on either model?
    4. How long have people waited on their ordered AWD cars?
  • Options
    corcor Member Posts: 27
    That's odd...... neither one of my parents BMW's have ever had any reception problems. Neither has my brother's Volvo for that matter. FoMoCo....compromising functionality for style... NEVER. At least relocate it to the rear of the car OR give it a roof mounted whip antenna.
  • Options
    willie19willie19 Member Posts: 139
    Have you got the link to your source for the MY2006 Ford Five Hundred changes?
    Also interested to know changes to the '06 Freestyle, if any.
  • Options
    Not everything official is on the web. I am pretty sure the information shared with us is not official as of yet...and you aren't going to find such a link for quite a long time...months, not weeks....
  • Options
    OK I realize Ford is not about to officially disclose the MY2006 changes in their website for retail customers at this early date.However the order bank for '06s have just been opened for fleet operations.Just hoping that some resourceful person can find out more than was mentioned in #2539, or is that all for the Five Hundred and also for the Freestyle.

Right now even some good "hints" will suffice.Another thing I want to add is that the '05 Freestyle Limited FWD ( which unfortunately was Not Available) was originally very well packaged in Canada as everything was standard equipment except for AWD & DVD.That was too good to be true.
  • Options
    Hey guys the information I posted is from the 2006 MY Order Guide. A public link is not available at this time.

Here are the changes for the 06 Freestyle

• Colors Added: — Silver Birch
    • Colors Deleted:— Silver Frost Clearcoat Metallic, Norsea Blue

FUNCTIONAL CHANGES • Traction Control Optional on FWD (Standard
    AWD)

OPTION CHANGES • Navigation System Available

again, no public link is available.

Mark
  • Options
    maybrookmaybrook Member Posts: 4
    I tend to agree with you on the Town Car seats, and your preference for the Mazda/Ranger seating. I don't agree with you on the Montego's seats however. The only thing I like about the Montego's seating is the high seat position. I don't like to sit "on the floor" with knees higher than hips.

I've kept my 1995 Explorer XLT with leather, because I am not happy with the Montego. The 1995 Explorer's seats are my Idea of comfort. They are 1-2 inches wider in width and longer in depth, provide some lateral support, have power side bolsters, and adjustable pull out thigh supports. If only I could have this in the Montego. You should try this Explorer seating. I don't know if they retained that seat beyond 1995. Another vehicle that seems to have very comfortable seating is the Trailblazer/Envoy.
  • Options
    Thanks Mark for the help.
  • Options
    Somewhat different in approach than many, if not most:

http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/archives/2005/04/test_driving_th_7.htm
  • Options
    steve1313steve1313 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have any thoughts on an extended warranty for a 500 ?
    Thanks
    Steve1313 :confuse:
  • Options
    lostlost Member Posts: 64
    I have been looking at the replacement cost of 225/55/18 tires that come with the limited 500. They are hard to find AND they start at $200. and go up to $240 EACH! at a discount tire dealer, these prices are for the tire only not including mounting etc.. I have to reconsider the Limited and instead look at the SEL.
  • Options
    donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    The Tire Rack lists the 225/55/18 at $95 and in stock. Maybe check with them to be sure before going a different size and direction.
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    The extended warranty from Ford seems to be a good deal. Don't buy one from the dealer.
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I finally saw a Montego driving in southern CA, earlier today on the 57 freeway. They are handsome cars.

Maybe the 2006 models will be a nice surprise.

Since my 2006 Magnum has not come in yet, I sat in a Montego again a few days ago and confirmed that I just can not find a comfortable seating position without a telescoping steering column. Either my legs are squeezed together or my arms are straight out to reach the steering wheel. Any chance that a telescoping column will be available for 2006?

The seats lack lumbar support, but that is not much of an issue, since it is easy to add some foam in the right place. The hump in the floor to the left of the dead pedal is also a nuisance, but again it is somewhat easy to fix.

Ford just needs to realize that some (and probably many) of us would be glad to pay more for the car to get things such as the telescoping column, satellite radio, Bluetooth, dimming exterior mirrors, bigger and quieter engine, and rain-sensing wipers. The high sales level of the Limited and AWD models are strong evidence of this. The excellent crash test results, the presence of both side and head curtain air bags, and the all wheel drive more than make up for the lack of stability control. Ford got so many things right, it is unfortunate to see the lack of simple things which must be in the parts bins for other Ford models holding the Five Hundrerd / Montego, and Freestyle back.
  • Options
    fdcapt2fdcapt2 Member Posts: 122
    :confuse: I'm hoping for some major changes for both the 500/Montego like #2557 stated. It'll still be under powered for it's size and weight, but maybe with some "updates" people might overlook that. The fact that they had many features in some of the cars in the 80's and 90's that are no longer available just says to me that they are not moving to keep up with the rest of the car world. Some of the cars back then had power seats, driver and passenger, with the drivers seat having a power lumbar support. Four wheel disc brakes, remote gas fill door, power antenna, etc., etc., and so on. It's pretty bad when a Hyundai Sonata kicks butt big time with what it offers to buyers, and the new up-graded XG350, forgot the new name, is unreal, and will draw maybe people from all car dealers. Talk about going in the right direction, something Ford doesn't seem to understand. :sick:
  • Options
    avantiavanti Member Posts: 27
    Do we have any idea what is changing on the Montego for 2006? Not much, probably...
  • Options
    I drive a 2002 Mazda Protege5. Anyway really weird tire size. I actually got 40k out of my speed rated tires but I absolutely could not find a local store with rubber in stock. Long story short, I ordered them from TireRack. I would definitely do this again. UPS delivered the tires to my door then I went down to the local NTB and paid like $40 total for mounting balancing etc.

I paid $195 per tire ordering them through TireRack. NTB would have ordered the same tire for me for $250 a pop. So even paying for mounting and balancing I still came out on top.

www.tirerack.com

Mark
  • Options
    jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    There are two changes that I would like to see for the 500. Add a diesel option and find out about the new automatic transmissions coming out of Europe that gives fuel mileage almost as good as a manual transmission. Add those and I will purchase the 500 from now on.
  • Options
    I wonder if the telescoping steering column from the Volvo S80 or something else would fit the Montego? ANT14 - do you know?
  • Options
    tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    If the telescoping steering column from the Focus was good enough to be used in the Ford GT, maybe it's good enough to be used in the Five Hundred...

Yes, I know that Ford has some reason, but it is a bit odd that a telescoping steering column isn't available when Ford includes them as standard in so many of their other vehicles.
  • Options
    Mark,
    If you live near one of TireRacks warehouses, you can even just drive over to it and they will mount and balance the tires for free. No shipping charges that way, either!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    but we have a discussion here where you can Ask Connor at the Tire Rack anything about tires or about Tire Rack or anything like that. Just thought I'd give you a link in case you are interested.
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    It's pretty bad when a Hyundai Sonata kicks butt big time with what it offers to buyers, and the new up-graded XG350, forgot the new name, is unreal, and will draw maybe people from all car dealers. Talk about going in the right direction, something Ford doesn't seem to understand.

Yes, legions of Ford, Honda, and Toyota owners are streaming to Hyundai dealers to look at the smaller, less powerful, and more expensive to own (as calculated by the Edmunds TMV) XG350. Or not....;-)

The rear end of the 350 is proof that Ford's decision to style the 500 conservatively [ie, tastefully] was the right one for the large sedan market.
  • Options
    mrlizzzardmrlizzzard Member Posts: 31
    Why not look for 17"rims for snow tread?Rims should be available buy 17" snow treads and change them from the 18.5's one time cost,may make !8.5's last for yrs.
    lizzzard
  • Options
    I don't know if this is the correct answer about why there is no telescoping steering column but here is something that alot of people may not know about the Ford Five Hundred. The Five Hundred has one of the first uses of an:

Adaptive steering column
    Collapses in different ways during frontal impacts, depending on the amount of crash energy, the driver's size and seat position. An energy absorbing "bend sheet" holds the upper and lower portions of the steering column together. The shape of the bend sheet helps control the collapse of the steering column in an impact. Using components of the Personal Safety System,™ a computer "brain" determines how quickly the steering column should collapse.

Mark
  • Options
    The adaptive steering column is good for safety, but what good is it if you can't be comfortable driving the car? I found a Ford dealer who will rent a Five Hundred, and a Mercury dealer who offered a five hour test drive in a Montego, so I will do one or both to give the car one more chance.

To me, the Montego and Magnum are both cars with big cargo areas. The Montego Premier AWD with every option except the sun roof has almost an identical invoice price ($27,581) as the Magnum SXT with the head curtain air bags, power pedals, Bluetooth, Sirius, and upgraded sound system ($27,406), but the Montego has the following features not on the Magnum:

Uses regular gasoline
    Side (torso) air bags in addition to the head curtain air bags
    HID headlights
    LED tail lights
    No blind spots
    Top crash test ratings
    All wheel drive
    Compass
    Homelink
    Reverse proximity sensors
    Automatic headlights (although the 300C switch is easy to add)
    Classy appearance
    Bottle holders in doors
    Automatic two zone air conditioning
    Leather seats with perforations
    Heated seats
    Leather steering wheel
    Trip Computer
    More color choices
    Steering wheel radio controls

The Magnum has the following features not on the Montego:

Telescoping steering wheel
    Wider seats and more spacious interior
    Factory Bluetooth option
    Factory Sirius radio option
    Stability control
    cabin air filter
    dimming exterior mirrors from the 300C could be installed
    rain sensing wipers from the 300C could be installed
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    That post was not in reference to the XG350, but the XG350 *replacement*, the Azera. (Which will be similar in size to the Five Hundred, hella more powerful, and offer more amenities at a similar price... including stability control standard and side thorax and curtains for ALL outboard passengers).

~alpha
  • Options
    After posting the above, I realized that the Magnum was too much of a compromise. I rechecked teh NHTSA side wreck test results, and the Five Hundred without side bags did far better than the Magnum with the side curtain bags. I canceled the Magnum order. I will wait and buy a 2007 model - either a Five Hundred sedan or a SportTrac car-truck.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    No offense, but to my knowledge, the Dodge Magnum has never been tested by NHTSA with its optional side curtain airbags, and the scores are only one star behind the Five Hundred's.

http://www.safercar.gov/Index2.cfm

(You have to select the 2005 Dodge Magnum from that link. Only one entry will show up, and when you click on it, you will see that it was not tested with side airbags).

~alpha
  • Options
    Alpha,
    If you look at the crash test of the Five Hundred, you will notice that it was not tested with the option side airbags either. I remember hearing that the Five Hundred is the first car to ever receive a 5-star side impact rating without side airbags. Has anyone else heard that? Is it true?
  • Options
    If you click on the stars on the NHTSA web site, it gives more detail, especially the head injury and thorasic injury numbers - the numbers for the Five Hundred are far lower. Also, most new Ford vehicles, including the Five Hundred, have both side (torso) air bags and head curtain air bags, while the Magnum only has the head curtain air bags.
  • Options
    fdcapt2fdcapt2 Member Posts: 122
    Thanks for understanding my post, Alpha. I thought I made it clear that I was talking about the Azera, and not the 350. As far as people "streaming" to Hyundai dealers, I bet it'll be a strong possibility once the new Sonata and Azera are in stock. If the Montego only had some of the extras that the Azera has, it'd be a killer car, and I'd be driving one by now. But it doesn't come close, which is a real shame. I really do wish that I could wait for the more powerful engine to be ready, but I can't. Ford tried to do the right thing with the 500/Montego but didn't have all the right pieces in place. Who knows, maybe I'll still end up with a Montego some day, but not like the ones they are selling now. :cry:
  • Options
    fdcapt2 - Yes, the current progress of Hyundai/Kia is amazing, although they are still behind on engines. I think that Ford simply underestimated the market. I strongly suspect that there are many others like me who would not mind paying $3,000 more for the car if that money bought the missing features we want. The reportedly much higher than expected sales of the Limited/Premier versions and all-wheel drive is ample evidence of the market demand for something more than stripped cars cheap. I even think that the rough and unpleasant engine noises are just as much, or more, of a problem than lack of power.

I just read the list of 2006 production start dates. They will start production of the 2006 Five Hundred / Montego / Freestyle on July 18, 2005. That is only three months away, so I wonder why we do not know more about the changes?
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    In this discussion of crash results, we are forgetting an important safety factor: visibility- the Magnum is like driving in a cave. Visibility in the 500-Montego-Freestyle is excellent.
  • Options
    tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    fords glory and good days seem to be coming to an end right now.including the Lincoln/Mercury. sales are considerably going down as shown on tv. their sales are dropping every month. while GM is also doing pretty bad but nowhere near where Ford is. BMW,TOYOTA,NISSAN and HYUNDAI are having a nice time their sales are going up like rockets. the main reason for the downfall of ford is that they looked more into trucks while the others got away with the cars,suvs trucks everything and even introduced the hybrids first(JAPANESE ARE SMART).and GM doesnt even have a hybrid right now, they are planning to introduce one later this year. good luck to Ford.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to check out our News & Views board to discuss that point of view. We are talking about the Five Hundred/Montego here, not the state of Ford as a manufacturer.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...with the harping about "missing features" and being prepared to spend $3k more for them. I am unprepared to spend that sort of money on the kinds of alleged shortcomings I've heard about here. The only thing I find to grump about with this car is making the complete safety package optional - all the airbags, including the curtains, should just be part of the deal. More power? Only if it could be had without compromising fuel consumption.

If this car can establish, within a couple of model years, a sound reputation for reliability and fit/finish to rival the Japanese, then they will have nothing to worry about. That's the make-or-break issue for me, not the grumbling about this or that missing feature. It's already a great package, if they can only prove they know how to screw them together properly....we'll see...
This discussion has been closed.