Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    In today's Chicago Tribune, a Mercury spokesman is quoted in Jim Mateja's letters section as saying news about more power "may" be coming in the next several months. You must be registered at the Tribune to access the article, which contains little more than that statement. Particularly, Jim's answer to the reader concerned with lack of power in the Montego is:

Yes, more power is coming. When is the question. Mercury spokesman Paul Wood said: "We haven't announced what we're going to do in terms of engine enhancements, but it's safe to say stay tuned because we may have something to say in the next several months."
  • Options
    wnicholswnichols Member Posts: 42
    Went in on Thursday evening to test the Montego again. The center console made driving it uncomfortable last time and did so this time as well. Couldn't get a comfortable seating position. The Sable didn't fit us (me especially) and the wife doesn't want another Grand Marquis. So I guess it's goodbye to Mercury/Ford in the car department.

This is too bad because I'm a Ford guy. I own two collector Ford cars and hope to buy a Super Duty in the next few years. Ford, if you're listening, lose the center console!
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    For calender year 2007, as a Model Year 2008....Unless something extra-ordinary occurs instead and plans are changed otherwise. But priority vehicle will be the next Aviator that debuts nx\ext spring, then it trickles down to the F/M/Z vehicles, then theF/S then 500/Mtg.
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Rather than forget Ford, what about the Freestyle? It is the same vehicle, but with a much nicer and narrower center console. The Freestyle interior looks really nice in the charcoal (SEL) or Black (Limited) colors. The narrower console did make a difference for me.

As I mentioned several posts ago, if the hump in the floor to the left of the dead pedal also bothers you, a little work with a block of wood should solve the problem.

I still could not sit comfortable due to the lack of a telescoping steering wheel, and didn't like the noises emitted by the engine/CVT combination, and the ride witht he 18" wheels, but if those are not problems for you, the Freestyle is very nice (and the SEL has 17" wheels)..

You might also consider what I have on order - a 2006 Explorer, since you like full frame rear wheel drive vehicles. It will have many improvements and features (Roll stability control, 292/300 V8 with the Jaguar/Navigator 6-speed automatic (fuel economy should really improve), a new frame, a quieter and smoother ride, side and curtain air bags, seats for 5 or 7, an all new interior, and fancy sound systems and so forth, making it a very good value for the price.
  • Options
    My wife didn't really care for the Freestyle. She doesn't like SUVs either. Wants a sedan w/ good fuel economy. Currently looking at Honda Accord and VW Passat TDI.
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Well then, Ford will have the Fusion / Milan / Zephyr on sale very soon, or do you need a car sooner?.
  • Options
    A Mercury version was always planned for 2007. It's still coming out. But the Ford Freestyle based on the same platform as the Five Hundred/Montego is dropped after MY 2007. The name will continue, but it will not be the Five Hundred/Montego platform...

The FreeSTAR will also be dropped shortly thereafter..

All this from this morning's Automotive News, (registration required to read...)

See also: http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102793
  • Options
    Staying with Ford after all! Just put a deposit down on a new GM LS Ultimate. Great deal now with the rebate andfamily plan pricing. Just couldn't fit in the Montego.
  • Options
    Down at the bottom here is a summary of MotorWeek's review of a long term Five Hundred:

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/longterm/
  • Options
    donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    I have the same car that MotorWeek is testing...right down to the color. But I'm not getting any where near the mileage they are. I guess they got the pick of the litter and I got the runt. :(
  • Options
    Or they are ONLY driving it on long escapades, which is my guess.

I can't imagine anyone getting that mileage overall...

Besides, wouldn't the runt eat a lot less than the pick of the litter? :)
  • Options
    confused3confused3 Member Posts: 7
    I don't know what body shape you guys who complain about the seating, head room, foot space and console are but I am 6' 3" and weigh 230 and wear 12 double wide shoes. I specifically bougth the 500 because of all the room and the high seating. By the way I have the sun roof which eats into the headroom and I can sit with a baseball cap with no problems.

I generally get about 19-22 mph around town and 28-30 on the road. SEL with 6 speed.
  • Options
    gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    Are power adjustable pedals standard or availavble on the 500? I did a "build your own Ford" on the website and didn't see them offerred as an option, and didn't see them included as standard, either. Thx.
  • Options
    donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    The power adjustable pedals are offered as an option. Have them on my LTD AWD.
  • Options
    barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I believe they're only optional on the LTD . . or maybe the SEL, as well.
  • Options
    Power adjustable pedals are available as an option, and only on the Limited....
  • Options
    zakiszakis Member Posts: 7
    I am considering buying a Ford 500 but do a lot of driving down steep hills and manually shift the automatic transmission to a lower gear to hold back the car and keep my brakes from burning up. Has anyone had any experience using either the Ford 500 CVT or 6 speed to hold back the car? It seems like it's not possible to manually downshift.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    that's a really good question! here in ct, we had a very unfortunate accident at the bottom of a steep road.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I have the CVT and live in West Virginia, where we have very steep hills, especially on the section of I-64 east of the West Virginia turnpike. The car has a VARIABLE speed transmission...it holds the speed remarkably well going down hills, with NO downshifting by the driver. It is the first car I have ever owned to do that. The six speed, from what I hear from other drivers, does NOT do that...and requires constant downshifting into LOW and still accelerates down steep downgrades...
  • Options
    zakiszakis Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the input on the CVT. As for the Ford 6 speed I had the impression that the LOW setting of the transmission was to be used under slippery conditions for starting the car in second gear. I really am amazed that Ford didn't provide some sort of manual gear selection on the 6 speed.
  • Options
    http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd04aux.html

Note: Doesn't work if you have the Entertainment System installed. But if you have that, you already have RCA inputs on the DVD-player you can use.

This will provide a pair of RCA inputs that will work when you select the AUX input button on the radio.

Just ordered one for my Five Hundred (my Freestyle has the Entertainment System).

Note: supply is limited!

PS: Not affilliated with LogJamElectronics in any way. Just saw this today, and thought I'd pass it along
  • Options
    alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    i don't see a lot of people posting problems on the 500 here, i guess that's good news for the car? :shades:
  • Options
    500 owners, when you bought your car, did you cross shop with the new Hyundai Sonata? Just interested in your opinion. thanks
  • Options
    tanotunestanotunes Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '05 Ford Five Hundred SE AWD a little over a week ago. I had indeed cross-shopped the '06 Hyundai Sonata. With Ford's "employee discount" program plus rebates, the 500 came out to be the MUCH better deal. The 500 feels roomier inside, especially in the rear seat area. The CVT transmission is smooth as silk, unlike the Sonata, which seemed to shift a bit too much for my tastes.

Also I did not like the design of the Sonata's center stack. The radio controls are too high and the heating and A/C controls are mounted on a "block" that protrudes from the dash - it looks awful. BMW has a similar design and I find it extremely unattractive. I prefer a smooth, flat, waterfall design. I also felt the Sonata's armrest was too small and too low. The 500's center armrest is huge and comfortable and the storage area beneath is cavernous!

The price of my 500 SE AWD was cheaper than the quote I got on a GLS Sonata (after incentives, including owner loyalty bonus) and I traded in a Hyundai Elantra. Sonata doesn't offer AWD, so this was a no-brainer for me. Front legroom is better in the 500 as well. The 500's trunkroom is enormous!

I'm thrilled with my purchase and I feel I made the right decision. I get a ton of compliments. So many think it's a luxury car.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    thanks for the reply... I like the design on both cars. The 500 looks a tad like a big Mercedes while the Sonata looks very similar to the Audi A6. And you're right about one thing, that the 500 offers AWD and Sonata doesn't.
    I got a quote for a 500 LTD AWD with the employee discount, and it's a few thousands more than the top of the line Sonata... what to do... what to do... :shades:
  • Options
    nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    No, I bought a Montego not a Five Hundred though, and for two reasons:

1. When I did my shopping it was last fall and the new Sonata wasn't available for comparison.

2. I really didn't cross shop any other sedans, I looked mostly at wagons, like the Volvo V70 & V50, Taurus,and the Mazda 6, hatchbacks like the Malibu Maxx, and again Mazda 6, and crossovers, like the Escape, Forester, Freestyle, as well as a few minivans, which I really didn't want.

I need more cargo flexibility than most sedans can deliver, but a minivan seemed like overkill as I'm usually driving solo. I also like the fact that as a sedan the Montego has a trunk where stuff can be stashed out of sight, unlike in many wagons or crossovers

I did get a good look at the Sonata at the Detroit auto show after I bought the Montego, I'd rather keep the Montego for the aforementioned reasons but I'd go with Sonata over an Accord in a heartbeat, don't know about it v. the Camry though.
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    The low range for either transmission is for low speed starts and climbing. I wouldn't use it for descending hills unless the speed is 25 or below. As mentioned, the CVT holds the speed better when descending. The 6 speed is always shifting to find the right ratio and is not very smooth. The CVT suits the engine much better.
  • Options
    good take, but why did you choose the montego over the 500?
    most of the time i drive solo here myself, therefore not sure if the 500 will be too big. but from what i am hearing, the 500 gets pretty good gas mileage too.
  • Options
    I picked the Montego mainly for 2 reasons: the dealer, I've had my other cars serviced there for years, and the interior styling, the Montego has a darker coloured dash when you get either the grey or tan interiors and is has less glare. I don't really care for all black interiors or leather seats either whihc was the only way to get around that with the Five Hundred. The LED taillights are cool too!
  • Options
    Has anybody had their Five Hundred's windows tinted?

I did, but now the headlights of cars behind me cause a series of horizontal bars (aligned vertically). Apparently this is due to how the film goes over the defroster lines and the slope of the back window.

Short of removing the film, is there any "cure" for this? Could one possibly apply the film in "strips" that fit between the defroster lines instead of one continuous sheet to fix this problem?
  • Options
    bigjaybigjay Member Posts: 26
    Since it's debut, I have liked the look of the 500 and I especially liked the easy ingress and egress of the car. It's probably one of the most comfortable cars I've ever sat it.

My only reservation with it is it's performance. Although, at just a tick over 200 hp, it's not bad. However, speaking as a former owner of a '96 SHO (w/V8) I wish the 500 had a little more punch.

Even so, I had seriously planned to buy a 500 during the month of August. In fact, I was absolutely set to buy a new Ford Five Hundred... until last Thursday.

On Thursday morning, I happened to see a segment on The Today Show where Matt Lauer was talking about "The Aging of America" and the development of new products that many companies are making to attract the "older consumer."

Unfortunatley, the featured product in this segment was the Ford 500!

I just stood there and thought...Oh crap! No wonder that car is so "easy" to get in and out of! No wonder it isn't a barn stormer of a performer! It's an old man's car! It was built for the retirement crowd! I'm only 45! What was I thinking?!?!

It's true that I need a conservative 4 dr sedan for my work, and it's also true that I am now middle aged...but I'm not ready to settle into pre-retirement mode!

As a result, I've shifted my sights over to the new 2006 Impala SS. It's still a mid-priced, mid-sized Amercian sedan, and perfect for my work needs, but it also has a small block V8 in it!

Don't get me wrong, I still like the Ford 500, but after seeing that TV segment, I think I'd like it better in my dad's driveway!
  • Options
    gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    ROFLMAO
  • Options
    " It's an old man's car! It was built for the retirement crowd! I'm only 45! What was I thinking?!?! "

Sounds like you'd like to retire at 45, to me. :P
  • Options
    gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    Let me see if I have this right. Some guy you only know by seeing on tv tells you something and you believe it's true? I do my own research . Test drive a lot of cars and trucks to try to find the vehicle that is just right for me and my circumstances.I then narrow down the ones that meet my (not some guy on tv's criteria) and then try to make the best informed deal I can on my choice.
    I guess, then, I would have to agree somewhat with you. You aren't mature enough to make up your own mind on just what you want. Just email Matt Lauer as to what he wants you to buy and go with that. (By the way I wouldn't hang around waiting for a personal answer from him. He just may want you to go for the Maybach!!)
    Gene
  • Options
    I detect a sense of insecurity here.
  • Options
    So if a vehicle is easy to get into, then it means it's for an older crowd? Might as well place the Focus up there, as well as the Escape, Explorer, Freestar, Ranger, just to name a few. Ford uses numerous people samples to make sure the vehicles are easy to get into, and buttons are easy located for easier operation of use. And these samples are from all age groups, heights, physical issues, etc. In fact, there's even some testing done where the samples are wearing gloves, to make sure that buttons; dials are easy to use for those that A) Are workers wearing gloves and operating their trucks, or B) For those in colder climates.... Some buttons are illuminated for ease of use, something some foreign manufacturer's haven't even bothered much with. This just means the interiors are able to be accepted by a larger market.

And even within some vehicles, certain items are integrated for a specific market. Case in point, last generation Mountaineer (over the Explorer) had a driver's seat tailored to women, to make it easier to enter/exit. Ever wonder why some Mercury vehicles have leather side bolsters, suade middle inserts?.... Keeps women from exposing themselves when exiting a vehicle by letting the fabric of their dress slide over the leather.

On some vehicles, you will notice a plastic edge/clip trim piece on the "B" pillar. Thats to help someone "slide" into their vehicles without damaging/tearing their clothing. Notice how some vehicles have it in felt (lessens it), while some have it in cloth (will dirty in a few months)... This trick is reserved for the vehicles that have a tighter entry/exit point where the driver/passenger are liable of rubbing against that part... And this is used by many manufacturers.

As for trucks, they are tested to make sure that the driver is able to use all dials, buttons wearing the thickest gloves, since most of them will use their SuperDuty for work...

And this is just a VERY small example of the numerous thinking that takes place in interior design.
  • Options
    Hey,hey, hey...let's everybody settle down! Sounds like I touched a nerve or two!! Guys, let's all get along here! I'm only reporting what I heard. To be honest, I couldn't care less about Matt Lauer's opinion about anything. What mattered to me was the message he sent... that the car was designed for retirees!

I use my car for business. My colleagues all drive flashy image cars and say I should too. Believe it or not, I'm the rebel in the group! I'm the one trying to have an original thought! I think a little tasteful conservatism is in order! I don't like to put on a showy facade, so that's why I wanted the 500in the first place.

To me, it looks good, rides good, and again...it's very comfortable! However, Matt Lauer figuratively just pee'd in my pool! He killed my enthuasm and caused me to consider the perception my clients will have of me, my car, and my professional accumen. Love it or hate it, professional image is a real issue.

So, accurate or not, Matt Lauer's segment sent a message to millions of Americans about that car and the message simply conflicts with my objectives.

Now, if Ford were to build a Five Hundred to compete with the new Impala SS, or the Chrysler 300C, now...that would be cool!
  • Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    got a black on black 500 limited and let your friends have a seat, they would change there minds pretty fast.

me and my gf were going to the movies when we saw just that outside. the chrome around the grille and mirrors looks very classy. the black interrior with the wood trim looks very tasteful, and there is so much room style and comfort built into this car that in person, it totally blows away the pics. I laughed at his car earlier in the forums, but the black on black sample we saw was very nice.

the only problem for me is the lack of power that will be addressed, and i would have liked to see some wood trim on the door panels, and a nav system, but at least the nav is already here. I'd like the HID's from the montego too. She said the seats look very comfortable.

If they put a V8 into this car it would be nice i agree, especially with AWD to prevent torque steer but the v6 thats comming should be enough IMO.

the black on black was very very classy. We liked it, but had to go in the theater to stop making the car blush :P

Mat lauer can go shove himself, those meaty 18 inch tires are not for reirees!

by the way bigjay we are both just into our 20's.
  • Options
    I too had friends with false impressions when I was younger. I had a 97 Mark8, which went from being nicknamed "boat" to, "Death chariott"... Then years later, went into LS (on my 2nd one)... suddenly my friends are telling me "i've never seen a Lincoln do this before"... I even had one friend call me on the cellphone, "Hey, are you on Flager ST and 87th? A Black LS just flew by me and your the only one I know that can make a Lincoln fly like that"....

So again, it's not WHAT the car might say, it's how you present it. Just like when I see a Corvette going 5 under the speed limit, I just think to myself, "Hmm, old man in midlife crsis driving it"... And sure enough, I pass, look...confirmed... As well as the balding guy in the Porsche convertible, when chances are your expecting otherwise....
  • Options
    griffman12griffman12 Member Posts: 18
    I dont see many posts showing what gas milage new owners are getting on the Five Hundred or its sister car. I would think if it was good there would be a lot more postings?????
  • Options
    If it were bad, there also would be a lot more postings...

I have an AWD SEL, get about 22-23 in town, 30-31 on the road.

I am told this is somewhat higher than what most get.

I love the CVT!
  • Options
    Regarding Insecurity: Uhh...no. It's about striking a balance.

Im my previous post I described the fact that I like the Ford 500. WIth the exception of underwhelming performance, I had seriously intended to buy one.

According to Matt Lauer, since the departure of the Crown Vic is eminenet, the over 60 crowd has to drive something! Now, they can drive anything they want, and just because I might see a older man driving a S 500 or a Lexus LS 430, doesn't mean I'm going to ignore those cars or write them off as too old for me.

But, when the highest rated national morning TV show builds a segment around the "aging of Amercia and a representative from AARP spends 5 minutes of NBC's expensive air time describing a multi industry thrust to develop products that are market specific, and features a particular car as a specific example of American Industry's response to the aging of America, then at some point one has to ask himself: Is that me? In my case, the answer was "no."

When the Impala SS is priced so close to the 500 Limited and has superior image, performance and comfort, then unfortuantely the Ford has lost my business...for now.

As far as insecurities go... it would seem that my ability to recognize a mismatch in my autmotive needs verses Ford deliberate target market for their current full size car is important, accurate and a point of "logical vulnerability" for you.

Oh, and to the 20 something kid that said: Put some 18" wheels on the 500 and tint the windows and it's cool!

I have one thing to say to you... Styling cues do not make a car perform better or elevate it to an artificially higher staus. In fact, Ford made this mistake once before...but you're probably too young to remember The Edsel.
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    When the Impala SS is priced so close to the 500 Limited and has superior image, performance and comfort, then unfortuantely the Ford has lost my business...for now.

Performance: yes. Image and comfort? Impala says rental car. If that is the image you want, then go ahead. Comfort to me is average in the Impala and above average in the 500. One out of three ain't bad for the Impala. How many years old is this Impala design? You just about have to be a senior citizen to remember when this old design got its start. The only reason the Impala was not on with Matt Lauer is that seniors thought it wasn't cool enough for them since there parents had one.
  • Options
    Comfort? SNORT!

I hope you aren't expecting automatic climate control in the Impala. There isn't any. At any price.

I also hope you aren't expecting all wheel drive. Also, to me, the new Impala looks much more boring than the older ones. And this is even compared to the relatively staid Five Hundred. Where are the large round tail lights? The new Impala looks so...generic.

I have the street cred to speak to this issue, by the way. You see, I OWN a 05 AWD SEL Five Hundred. I traded an 00 Impala LS with 173,000 faithful miles on it (no unscheduled repairs other than an airbag sensor and a headlight switch!).

Virtually all my passengers remark what a nicer car the Ford is than the Chevy was. And there is no way I would want to go back.

I miss some of the power of the 3800 (and even more the supercharged Grand Prix GTP I had before the Impala) and would love to have the V8 in the Impala, but give me the Ford's body, AWD and safety package from Volvo.

As a matter of fact, when the 3.5L becomes available in the Five Hundred, I will probably trade...or I might get a Lincoln Zephyr with AWD and that engine, which is due slightly before that, I am told.

But I want my automatic climate control....and I want virtually every other option but NO sunroof and NO leather. Ford did that for me. If it is like past models, the new Impala will NOT be available with virtually all the toys but sunroof and leather.

I also get much better in town mileage on the AWD Five Hundred than I did on the FWD Impala. Even though the Five Hundred is a larger, heavier and more substantial feeling car. On the road, I do almost, but not quite, as well as I did in the Chevy.

The thing I miss most on the Chevy is my dealer. It's sad, but there isn't anything from Chevrolet that I want that I can buy from him. Why? I've driven a Ford.....lately! :)
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Averaged 23.9 on recent trip with mostly highway driving and A/C on. My AWD Limited has about 3,200 miles on it so I expect some improvement later. So far we really like the vehicle. The CVT is great and very comfortable on the road. I am getting a little irritated at the 6 cd changer so I'll take it to the dealer to see if they will swap it per the TSB. Highly recommend the vehicle.
  • Options
    Personally, I think I'd rather have my clients climbing out of the comfortable Five Hundred sedan than having to climb out of a less comfortable vehicle.

Yes, I'm sure that the "old folks" love the higher seating and easier in/out that it provides . . . but so do I. And I imagine MOST people would. Excluding those who want to sit low because they love low-slung sports cars, that is.

Personally, I wish the salesmen I go to lunch with would ditch their Crown Vics for the Five Hundred!
  • Options
    I agree with several things you said. I do wish to remind a few of the readers on this site that I never said the 500 wasn't good car. Remember, I intended to buy one! Remember, my first post expressed the fact that I like the 500. I still do!

My only concerns are the these two facts: In my opinion, Ford still needs to put a serious engine in it (like they used to put in the SHO's). Second, Matt Lauer's AARP segment jolted me! In fact, Matt Lauer's comments weren't that bad, but the guy from AARP made the car sound like a geritaric golf cart with rool up windows! That segment caused me to pause on my purchase of a new 500.

In fact, it was while I was pausing, that I discovered the Impala SS, drove it, and liked it better! It's fast compared to an Accord, a Camry, an Avalon, and certainly faster than a 500! It's more comfortable (to me) than a Maxima, an A4, or a Passat. But, I agree, there is no way the Impala is MORE comfortable than a 500. In my opinion, the 500 is WAY more comforatble than my boss's new Jaguar XJ8 or my buddy's 2002 Bentley Arnage!

The counterpoints in this recent thread are well thought out and well articulated, however, at this point, they aren't strong enough arguments for me to reverse my opinion about the 500.

In fact, I wish I hadn't seen the Today Show segment because it shattered my enthusiasm. So far, it appears that I am the only one in this forum that saw it and heard the tone of the segment.

For example: I live in Southern California. We don't have snow or black ice so the advantages of AWD are minimal. The traction gains on dry pavement are barely perceptable. Even if it were, the added grip of the AWD 500 can't compare to the heavy punch of the Impala SS 5.3 V8!

As a car guy, and as an owner of a couple of big horsepower street rods, there is a lot to be said for the ooomphfff of that V8! If Ford had put the engine they are using in the Lincoln LS in the 500 Limited, this would be a totally different discussion. But they didn't.

Your main counterpoint to my postings was centered on Automatic Climate Control. Ummm, that's certainly a nice feature, but again, it doesn't quite compete with a powerful engine.

The bottom line is this: The big three are back in the car business. Each is building a very high quality product offering that can compete with the best stuff coming out of Japan or Germany! I don't care if it's a Ford, a Chevy or a Chrysler, as long as it's American!
  • Options
    pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    I didn't realize Daimler-Chrysler was an American company. :confuse:
  • Options
    graleegralee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 500 Limited with 2 wheel drive and 6-speed tranny. We would have gotten the CVT, IF we could have gotten it without all wheel drive. Since we live in Florida it makes no sense to spend the extra bucks for something you do not need. Odometer currently reads 6500 mi., and we have taken two longer trips thus far. As is usually the case, gas mileage is very much dependent upon speed--and this is certainly true with our 500.
    On Interstate driving at 75 or so mph, I consistently show 27-28 mpg. At 80 or 85, I drop to around 24 mpg. On the other hand, at constant 50, 55, or 60 (as you must in some secondary roads in many eastern states), the trip computer is showing 32, 33, 34 or higher mpg. A nice sight with the higher cost of gasoline!
    I recently talked briefly with a guy who had traveled from Oklahoma to Kentucky in a Freestyle with CVT, and he claimed he was getting 27-28 mpg on Interstate driving at 75 mph, or about the roughly the same as my 500.

Additionally, my wife and I both love our 500. I am 77 years old and have had numerous new cars over the years, but this one has me more excited than any previous one...regardless of brand. For the life of me, I cannot understand why I don't see more of them on the road. The gentleman with the Freestyle felt exactly the same way. On the way from Florida to Indiana, we saw only one 500...period! I can only wonder why Ford is not really pushing this car in it's ads.

As to power, I am not interested in a hot rod, and I don't think the 500 is that much underpowered. After three Windstars with the 3.6 liter, I can notice a slight less oomph in the 500 by comparison. BUT, when I want it to go, it goes...and it goes with avengence--if you don't mind screaming rpms.

Ford did their homework with this car, and it is a great one. I have almost no complaints, and those that I do have are too minor to talk about. :)
  • Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    not American.
This discussion has been closed.