Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Charger 2006+

Comments

• knightmare65knightmare65 Member Posts: 20
    IMO, I wouldn't touch or even think about purchasing a Japanese or pure German car if you paid me. But that is just me. I have always bought American, and I always will. I have never had really any quality issues with any American car I have bought. To me, the Charger is the best vehicle I have ever driven, better than the Porches I have driven, and the Japanese cars my parents own.(Honda and Toyota)

When I bought the Charger, wife was skeptical if we could make the payments. We just leased a Grand Caravan SXT the month before. But after driving the Charger, she quickly fell in love with it and drives it to work most of the time. She forgot all about her skeptism. I drive a company vehicle to work, so that is why she gets to drive it. My sons love the car, my 12 year old gives it 2 thumbs up and said its an 11 out of 10. To him, a Viper is the only car that is better. I have had nothing but compliments and double takes when driving the car. I think my Charger will be a long time keeper. ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thank you for getting us back to our subject. ;)

Folks, this is not the place to get into argu.., er discussions about Japanese and German vehicles quality. Let's stick to the Charger. Thanks.
  • jimhemijimhemi Member Posts: 223
    http://www.fastcoolcars.com/2006-charger.htm
    And yes, they are 4 doors built on the LX platform. It could have been done, must be "too outisde of the box" thinking for Dieter and the gang.
  • aab4aab4 Member Posts: 39
    I agree.

But remember, stating a person's opinion as facts, is not always relevant.
    Japanese cars, have been winning most of the quality awards, not German vehicles. That's a fact! So when I see a statement that is obviously wrong, I agree to disagree.

Not to cause arguments.

So as not to beat a dead horse here, Most of the Charger is MB anyway.
    Which could be good or bad depending on your point of view.
    I think it is a good combo of American and German partnering.

Charger RT looks like more fun than most Honda's or Toyotas, until the new Lexus IS comes out.

I will make a decision after driving the new IS, and the Mazdaspeed 6. Like to drive the SRT version when that comes out. Sure that will handle better than RT does right now.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    ...at a car show last weekend. I was disappointed. Never liked the photos I had seen on the web but figured in the flesh would look better. It didn't. The car was dark blue with gray interior and it really had no "pop" to it at all. The hooded, blacked out headlights didn't help. But what really turned me off was the interior. The gray leather was blah, it was cold and unappealing looking, and most surprisingly, the dash and cabin seemed to be a sea of hard black plastic with a matte finish designed to make it look soft when it really wasn't. All it did was look cheap to me, sort of like the new Mustang interior. I know these cars are built to a price, but the interiors really disapponted.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tex10tex10 Member Posts: 27
    well it beets one them import jobs from japan. you know the things with the weed eater motors or sounds like one. There might be a new muscle car one block in 07 well it really old but you now what i mean the dodge challenger. The concept is in 06 and its a two door looks lot like a cuda l saw drawing of what may look like in 06. Its dodge answer to the Mustang.
  • eagle41eagle41 Member Posts: 54
    I just got back from taking my Rt for a spin on the highway (rt 75) in Gainesville. I was cruising over 80 at 2250 rpm . Smooth ride !! There are some similarities to my old (69) charger. The ride I know is far better on this one. Hey, for those complaining about the the interiior , remember that the orinial chargers inside was rather plain !!
    Hemi power is sweet !!
  • heinzh2heinzh2 Member Posts: 49
    I don't want to beat a dead horse either ... but keep in mind this is an opinion message board, and I would hope everyone will post their opinions here. Now to believe everything that is posted here, and not to follow up with your own research, could lead to what we call down here in GA as ... "ig-nance".

I agree with you 100% of what the combination of Chrysler/Mercedes have done, and that the cars look a lot more fun that the Japanese counterparts. I will be curious to see how the Charger stacks up to the new IS!!! FYI ... there was an article in AutoWeek.com that had an interview with the guy that helped create the new IS. He said that they had left out some, of what he thought, was some vital things on the IS ... about 1000 things! Interesting read ... doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy about the car. So I think the Charger will be the one in the long run ... :blush:
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    JohnDodge,

I was looking at the 5.7 Hemi Charger R/T this weekend and it had good points and bad points:

Good:
    very good acceleration, good mileage rating for the horsepower. Large trunk, good space inside.

Boston Accoutics excellent sound.

Good Pricing $2,000 under MSRP ( almost invoice)

Bad:

The interiror is pretty cheap feeling hard plastic, not on the level I would expect of a $30 car. Honda Accord , Toyota Camry and Toyota Avalon , much better executions. Make the interior better like the 300C

Air conditioning is not good enough for Texas summers. Front on max recirculate wouldn't get cold. Back seat was hot; not a lot of air flow out of the back vents and air coming out front and back was only mildy cold, not ice cold.

Navigation system is terrible! No touch screen! Only a single rotary dial ( not even multidirection) and comeo n white highlight on yellow letter; extremely hard to see.

Not clear how you get from manual shift back into auto drive; cart salesman didn't know, but then there wasn't much he did know.

No sunroof!

Car felt a little heavy and not nimble; but I guess that is reality.

=====
    All it all is was a good car, not a great car. But for 30K+ there is a lot of competition. Make xexons avaialble. Make 20 inch rims standard or at least a supported option.

Cheers,

MidCow
    In Houston, they advertised in the Sunday paper ( 7/24/05) $2,000 off MSRP on Charger R/Ts.
    I could go for the Charger R/T if it only had a short throw 6-speed manual shift transmission.

Cruis'n in 6th :shades: ,

MidCow
    Posted too much before try "Gulgate Dodge"
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    "Air conditioning is not good enough for Texas summers. Front on max recirculate wouldn't get cold. Back seat was hot; not a lot of air flow out of the back vents and air coming out front and back was only mildy cold, not ice cold."

Hmm, let me see what did I say about the A/C?

#417 of 539 Charger SXT Test Drive by frasierdog
    The day was 96 degrees and after a 20 minute test drive the car never cooled off and the air blowing was not that cool. (Yes, it was on MAX recirc)

Seems to be a pattern here.
  • gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    Yep... I noticed the same thing on the one I test drove. I don't understand how DC could put out a car with such a lousy AC system these days. Could turn some buyers off if DC doesn't address and fix this issue fairly soon. I know there are some who say it's fine and don't care, but people who live in hot climates do care!
  • johndodgejohndodge Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the link Jimhemi,

I have seen those pictures before. The engineering team that worked on the 2006 Dodge Charger wanted to go for something more modern, retro wasn’t what they were going for. They wanted to pay homage to the muscle cars of the 60’s without retro styling. I can’t comment of the 2009 Challenger as there has been no official word in regards to it at this point.

John B.
  • johndodgejohndodge Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the great feedback Midnight Cowboy!

Not too many people are familiar with the subtle intricacies that make the 5-speed automatic with Autostick shine. To change back to the normal Drive gear you have to press and hold the selector lever in the “D +” direction. The transmission will shift from the current gear directly to gear “D”. I can’t say for certain whether or not you’ll find xenons and 20 inch rims as available options. You can find 20 inch rims for the 2006 Dodge Charger though. The SRT-8 vehicles come standard with 20 inch rims, so I would recommend talking to your local Dodge dealership about putting some 20’s on a new Charger. Well that’s all I got!

Thanks,

John B.
  • bee7bee7 Member Posts: 15
    Test drove the Charger RT, and it is great in a straight line.

I agree the quality of German cars, which includes the suspension and transmission, of the Charger, is not on par with the Japanese.

The interior of a Toyota Avalon, even a Ford Five Hundred is better than the Charger. Ford needs a Hemi though.

A loaded RT is in the mid 30's, so you are now approaching LEXUS IS, BMW 330 territory, although smaller than the Charger, much better handling, and execution.
    Much better quality materials.

The Avalon loaded is in same price range, Mid 30’s, and is much better quality than The Charger.

If you really want a lot of room, and the quality, and handling is not as important,
    and price is an issue, then Charger would be your cup of tea. With the Hemi, it is fun going from stop light to stop light, but throw it into a S curve, and the BMW runs circles around it.
    After the initial "shock and awe" wears off and there are more Chargers sitting on dealer lots, I think the Charger will have trouble competing in the $30k+ price range. Most people except for the diehard Mopar fans could care less about the Hemi engine. I think the Charger is a nice car, but I would never pay $30k+ for one. After all, it really is just another family sedan. Only time will tell if the Charger will survive in the marketplace.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I'm not a die hard Mopar fan. I would respectfully disagree with your assertion about not caring less about the Hemi. When I was checking out the 300C/Magnum RT models last year, that engine was the deal closer for me. The ability to have a 340 HP engine with the performance that comes with it in a family friendly sport wagon (that still gets 24 MPG on the highway) made the decision to purchase the Magnum a no-brainer for me. The utility, the performance, and the style for a bargain price makes all three Hemi models absolutely unmatched in the marketplace. I still love my GMC Envoy too, but it is for a totally different purpose (trailer towing & 4WD) than my Magnum.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Most people except for the diehard Mopar fans could care less about the Hemi engine."

Uh-huh, I suppose that explains why the Saltillo engine plant is running three shifts and why DC is investing another $70 million to boost production from 480,000 units per year to 520,000 by next year.

As I see things, one does not have to be a "diehard Mopar" fan to appreciate the power and efficiency of the modern Hemi. Correct me if I'm wrong, however, I don't think there is a single engine built anywhere in the world at any price that can yield the kind of specific power output of the Hemi AND return the fuel efficiency that the Hemi does when not being flogged.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I wouldn't buy a car just because it has a Hemi engine. I drove a Charger and it had decent power, but it wasn't spectacular. I think DC could have done more with the Charger had they used a more efficient exhaust system. I also believe the Charger is priced a bit too high to compete effectively in it's class.... Hemi or no Hemi. Don't get me wrong, the Charger is a nice set of wheels, but not for $30k+.
    I sort of see your point with the price of the charger. I specifically looked for a base Rt when I was buying. . I got about $1500 off the list and I'm pleased as punch !! :P
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Just curious, but what would you list as competitors that you think are better buys? Honestly, there's only one I can think of that I'd cross-shop against it, but its smaller and FWD. So, really, for its size and RWD, I'm having a hard time coming up with a strong competitor in my mind. Help me out here.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

"Just curious, but what would you list as competitors that you think are better buys?"

Well I wouldn't necessarily say they were better buys, but more like less expensive. The Charger is being targeted and marketed as a family sedan. In that class, I would expect it to be priced in the mid to upper 20's price range. The fact that it has a Hemi with RWD makes no difference to me as a consumer looking to buy a new family car. I am shopping based on interior design, comfort, and how well the car handles under open road travel conditions. Oh I forgot, how well the AC works too! :shades:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Well, then you obviously aren't the target shopper for the V8 version. Since you don't care about the Hemi, then you are the person Dodge built the V6 version for. Starts at $22,995, so its right up your alley.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• crockersmithcrockersmith Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone have any information about the Road/Track Performance Group option available on the Charger RT. I know that it offers the same suspension/engine/steering upgrade as the Daytona RT but without the wild colors /spoiler/decals. I would like to know how loud the free flow exhaust is and if the 10 horsepower increase is at all noticeable.
    Test drove one today. Did noticed the Road/Track Performance had slightly improved handling.

I am trying to compare this to a BMW 330i, and that of course is an unfair comparison. Even the New Lexus IS 350 won’t compare.

Couldn’t really tell the difference with the added 10 HP, and both the RT and the Road Track Do sound “sweet”.

But as you can surmise, I am really impressed with the whole package of the new 330i.

Waiting to test drive the Lexus, and Charger SRT before I make my final decision.
  • mm2097mm2097 Member Posts: 6
    Where were you able to test drive a Daytona R/T??? :shades:
  • retirednakretirednak Member Posts: 5
    I read where Dodge was getting back into the cop car business with the Magnum and also the Charger. Has anybody heard about the Charger cop car? If so, what kind of modifications has been done to it? I live in Alaska and the roads beat a car to death. The last car I owned, I was able to order a cop spec '95 Caprice and it held up very nice to the roads with the firmer suspension and it did have a higher top end then a normal Caprice or Impala,plus the other normal engine mods.
    Since the Charger looks cheap inside already, it reminded me of a cop car interior.
    So if anybody has heard the same thing about the Charger, give a shout! :)
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    Here is a link to an article about the Charger police car. http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/charger.html
    Bought a silver RT for $500 over invoice which amounts to about $2,000 off of list. There is also a $500 rebate.
    I had to order it because there are none to be found anywhere with the Protection Group option which includes side airbags. I may have the only one in the country!
    Hey mm ... it could have also been a Charger that had just the R/T package (AWT)on it, but not the Daytona option package (28V). Nice that Dodge was able to offer the separate packages.

By the way ... I watched a test drive of the Charger on Speed Channel yesterday evening! Looked fantastic!!! They had a red R/T and a Daytona racing around. The blacked out grill on the Daytona is my "cup of tea"! Both drivers went at it on the straightaways and you can see the "jump" that the Daytona version had in it's extra 10hp power over the RT version. They normally repeat the programs on that channel ...

Heinz
  • black05magrtblack05magrt Member Posts: 1
    JohnDodge,

I am surprised to here about your AC problem. I have a Black Magnum RT in Houston and my AC is iceberg cold.
    I'm here in Gainesville Fl and the a/c in my Rt is fine.
  • tex10tex10 Member Posts: 27
    just be glad that you have a/c

Tex
  • hemigodhemigod Member Posts: 3
    My black Charger R/T makes icicles when I set it to 72 (goes as low as 66) and I'm in Chicago enjoying 98 degree days this Summer. No A/C issue at all.
  • mnunesmnunes Member Posts: 11
    Crockersmith,

Are you saying that you actually already have a Charger RT with Protection Group? Everything I've heard so far says they aren't building any until September. I've had one on order since mid-May and it's still on hold waiting to be scheduled.
    I just placed an order for one this past week. Delivery is expected in 6-8 weeks. I called Dodge customer service and they said there was no problem with the Protection Group option and I should be able to get it. Where did you get your info about September? Why do you think it is delayed?
  • mnunesmnunes Member Posts: 11
    I know several people that have had their Chargers with Protection Group on order for several months. Up until just a week ago or so there was a delay on the airbags that held up all of these orders.

I placed my order in mid-May and I'm still waiting. So far, I've been told "not available for June," "not available for July," and "not available for August." This is the first time anyone has said that they actually DO expect to make them in a given month. I guess the good news is that there's a little more confirmation now that the option should be able to get built.

August's production schedule was written in early July. This week they'll be scheduling out all of the September builds. I think that anyone who gets scheduled for build in September will be able to know that by the end of this week.
  • mm2097mm2097 Member Posts: 6
    I saw the Charger in action at Daytona Internationl in February. Dodge had a mini track set up where they were running their SRT's. That's when I fell in love. I like the new Mustang until I saw this Charger run, now I have to have one. Skip Barber Driving School was there running them all, it was pretty awesome! I took an R/T for a ride and almost made the salesman sick. He was holding on for dear life. He was impressed with this girls driving!! :P
    RT with Road/Track Performance Group , not Daytona.

Don't find the Daytona attractive, can't stand the colors, but that's me.

Road/Track Performance brings RT to same HP, extra 10, with slightly better handling of the Daytona.
    Good point ... I would have to see the GoMango color again in person, as well as the color used on the center console. But what I did like was the color of the leather seating, and the GoMango color stitching that was used ... a nice touch. Otherwise, I'm not too sure what color I would go with ... but the black is looking mighty nice ... coming from someone that does not like black cars!
  • jimhemijimhemi Member Posts: 223
    Saw a few Chargers on the road. I came up on what I thought was a Stratus and as I went by it I noticed the "High Beltline" and truck Grill in my rear view mirror and knew what I had just passed. As for the "10 Extra HP" that the Road and Track performance package nets you, I would just get the R/T with the Hemi and buy a nice aftermarket exhaust from Borla and gain 25+HP not to mention the better sound and durability of an all stainless steel system with a lifetime warranty. Prices for the Magnum/300C Borla Exhaust are around $700 and some change. Seems like a better bargain considering that the Road and Track Package is so much more of an option. The way they make up the 10HP difference is the "resonator" on the exhaust is slightly less restrictive. Reality is that you pay more for the Road and Track Performance package for the 2mm bigger front sway bar. Seems like an awful lot to pay for 2mm more in sway bar diameter and questionable gains in horse power. Buy the R/T +HEMI+Borla exhaust+ a chip from Jet Performance, and an Intake Kit and touching 400HP doesn't seem unrealistic. :shades:
    For those into numbers, the Ram, has 350HP and the Jeep Grand Cherokees, Durangos, Dakotas, Magnum/C have 330-340 HP? The new generation crate HEMI is advertised as having 360HP! (Look it up on the Mopar website) Seems like some under-rating going on here folks to avoid liability issues. Does any one remember the class action lawsuit that Cobra Mustang owners brought on a few years ago for HP numbers not being what they where advertised to be? For those that want to understand this, the Viper makes 500HP. All engines are hand built and some make more then 500HP. To avoid an issue like Ford had, Dodge simply says it makes 500HP and if you got the one that make a little more then grin, smile and burn some rubber.
    I don't like black either, but it does look good, same with red, which is also not one of my favorites.

Now salespeople, only want you to buy what they have in the lot, but, hey, color
    is important!!!!

Yellow or Orange don't do it for me.

So RT with Road/Track option looks like the way to go.
    Actually for me the Road /Track Performance Group biggest piece is it has better
    handling!!!!

This from Edmunds review:
    For about $1,500 you can add the Road/Track Performance Group to a Charger R/T and you'll save about $1,000 versus the Daytona. Essentially, you get the Daytona's 10 extra hp, its firmer suspension, self-leveling shocks and larger performance tires without its crazy colors, decals and spoiler.
    On the twists and turns of the Virginia International Raceway, the Dodge Charger Daytona wasn't as rewarding a drive as we predicted. In that very demanding environment, the Daytona felt soft and simply oversized. Fling the Charger Daytona through an "S" turn at speed and its weight is obvious. It handles well enough, but at over 4,000 pounds, the Charger R/T doesn't come off as a nimble sport sedan.

The only problem I have is the Charger is big and heavy, and after test driving the new BMW 330i, well the Charger is not in same league.

The Road/Teack package helps, but only a little. Wonder how much better the SRT will be?
  • lovemydakotalovemydakota Member Posts: 5
    I special ordered a Stone White Dodge Charger SE seven weeks ago and still have not received it. My Dodge dealer told me that they have yet to :cry::cry: build a Stone White car yet. Is this true? How soon do you think it will be before I can get my car? I want my Charger!! :cry:
    Anyone here that bought a Charger buy a Stone White one? Just curious. I have one on order now for seven weeks and my dealer said that Dodge has yet to even BUILD a Stone White one. Thanks
  • aab4aab4 Member Posts: 39
    SRT will be better, but it is not going to drive like a BMW.
    Not very many cars do!!!!!

Plus try getting one, you can probably get new 5 series for same price.

I am not that impressed with the handling of the Charger or 300 or Magnum.
    Too big, too heavy, translate into American handling versus German.

Great in straight line, but you can’t get on it in curves.

Too much of a family car, not enough of sport car in my humble opinion.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Check this site for production delays. http://www.arifleet.com/production.html
    Thanks hayneldan. I'm going to call Dodge this a.m. Don't know what is up with just the white not being produced. I even have a red on order. Whatever comes first. Just tired of waiting. Thanks again for the information.
This discussion has been closed.