Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

New ES 350 Owner Reports

Comments

• Options
    jaspalbjaspalb Member Posts: 84
    I asked my dealer to turn off the chime (it is one of custom options), but my dealer refused - he told that it is illegal to turn them off. I wanted them off because, periodically, when I take my belt off momentarily (e.g. to reach my pocket), chime starts. DRLs is a different matter.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried customizing door lock/unlock functions as detailed on Manual page 20 & 21. I wanted to change 'Driver door linked unlocking' function (all doors are opened if driver's door is opened within 10 seconds after turning the engine off). I can't do this or any other changes listed. Don't know if there any detail missing I need to follow.
  • Options
    hammer4995hammer4995 Member Posts: 8
    I took my ES350 (3,000 miles) to the dealer to have bad dashboard noises repaired. It took them one full week and the repair invoice stated: (and I quote, bad grammar as well)
    Dash R&R front windshield creaking noise coming from right side lower corner between windshield and body unable to reseal due to big gap replaced windshield, sublet to (auto body shop name) also creaking sound coming from across dashboard and body panel remove and reseal dashboard and reinstalled also reseal navigation and radio unit panel and upper A/C vent remove and reseal instrument panel lower dashboard panel.
    I'm thoroughly disgusted. They had to sublet to a body shop?? Also, the auto interior/exterior setting resets to manual after turning off the ignition. They had me wait 1 hour while a technician tried to correct it with zero result.

:lemon:
  • Options
    maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    colorfulyears, I may be flying out to Vegas in
    March for a seminar and then I'm thinking of
    driving to San Fran to meet up with my brother
    and his family that are thinking of going to
    San Fran during my nephew's Spring break.

I was wondering if you could let me know how long it took you to get from San Fran to Vegas
    in your Lexus. Alas, I won't by able to take
    my RX. I'll have to rent a car. :cry:
  • Options
    tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    Notwithstanding the safety benefits of both features, would you know then why in the ES 350 owner's manual under the personalized features section does it mention that the seat belt chimes can be programmed to be disabled?

Now I would never argue against people choosing to buckle up, but I would offer this question--do YOU need a chime to remind you that you need to buckle up? Would you not otherwise know that you need to buckle up if there was no seat belt chime to remind you? Do you wait for the seat belt chime to go off first before you buckle up...or do you buckle up, regardless?

For some folks, perhaps the chime is really needed...but for those of us who already have the common sense to know that we should always buckle up, we shouldn't have to be questioned if we decide to have the chime disabled, IMHO.
  • Options
    Assuming you're in the U.S.--point out to the service advisor the entry in the personalized settings section in the owner's manual (towards the end of the book) that mentions about the ability for the chimes to be disabled. If he still refuses to disable them, you can either live with that decision...or find another dealer who will disable them.

I really don't believe that disabling them via programming is illegal--after all, a seat belt chime is not a safety device...it is only a reminder mechanism.
  • Options
    zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Perhaps the chime was initially intended to be a reminder but has evolved into something which is a flat out irritant to get you to buckle up. That might be needed (if it gets you to buckle up) since many people don't like being "forced" to do anything, especially when it comes to government regulation(s). Buckling up prevents many deaths (I don't know the stats) which in turn keeps insurance costs down (even though they always seem to go higher). That being the case, perhaps those that don't buckle up but get injured should not be covered by their insurance company?

Certainly my response will draw the ire of those liberal "free thinkers" out there who always know more than others and that's fine. I don't know (or care) if it's illegal to disable chimes but I'm sure some technician can be found to defeat the chime. Those of us with common sense are probably victims of those without common sense which ends up causing installation of things like nonstop chimes and disclaimers which always pop up on the nav screen that you have to agree to before using it.
  • Options
    sacto1sacto1 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem on both sides with my 2007 ES 350, ultra luxury with panoramic roof. It seems worse on the driver's side. The dealer originally acknowledged the noise and was looking into a fix, but upon further review the dealer is saying that this is normal due to the placement of the mirrors. It is really loud -- has your dealer been able to resolve your problem? There is a posting a few months back saying that a dealer did resolve this problem for someone else.
  • Options
    tonyguy2000tonyguy2000 Member Posts: 39
    Hi,
    I still have the wind noise. The dealer tried tightening the doors but it didn't help. The noise is especially worse in a cross wind. My car has also developed rattles in the dash board especially when it below 35 degrees outside. I am waiting for another cold day to bring in to the dealer. This is my first Lexus but I will be selling the car in a few months as I am very disappointed. I always owned Toyotas and never felt like this about a car before.

Yesterday I forgot to close the change compartment left of the steering wheel and when I exited the car my leg hit it and I pulled off the whole bottom part of the dash! It was held in by plastic clips so I just pushed it back in. I guess ALL cars on not built the way they were 10 years ago.

Good luck with your wind noise! I can't stand it!!
  • Options
    ronstronst Member Posts: 1
    You need a new transmission. Contact 800-25LEXUS.
  • Options
    yilegaoyilegao Member Posts: 5
    My ES350 has some rattling noise in the overhead dashboard whenever the car goes through a bumpy road. The noise comes up intermittenly and is quite annoying.
    Does anyone else has the same problem? What did your dealership say when you take it in to get checked?
  • Options
    They removed the dash and windscreen and sealed all gaps and loose parts. Pity about the poor assembly and quality control though
  • Options
    mdamesmdames Member Posts: 79
    Do you store your sunglasses in the overhead compartment? If so, this could be the source of the noise. The glasses will make noise when you hit bumpy roads, since they don't fit snugly.
  • Options
    gjfes350gjfes350 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, I have the same problem, but as ususal, the dealership can't hear or find the problem.
  • Options
    yilegaoyilegao Member Posts: 5
    No, the overhead glass compartment is empty as always. But the noise came out nonetheless. It's damn annoying when you look for the quiet ride driving a Lexus.
  • Options
    curt2005curt2005 Member Posts: 70
    It is probably the sunglass compartment door rattling. Try tapping on the door with your fingertips to see if that is the problem.

In my ES330, the sunglass compartment door popped open once when going over a very bad bump.

When I had a rattle with the console cover, I got stick-on felt feet (for putting under table lamps, etc) at the hardware store and positioned them so as to stop the rattle.

Your note has reminded me that I need to do the same with the sunglass compartment door to prevent a recurrence.
  • Options
    lmillerlmiller Member Posts: 3
    Due to some significant back problems (surgery on herniated L5 disc) I am reluctantly looking to trade my 2006 BMW 325i for something with a softer ride. I am interested in hearing from those of you who have owned an ES 350 for a few months or more regarding how it is on longer drives, ie, seat quality, smoothness of ride, etc.

Thanks for any insight.
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Sorry to hear about your back problems.

My wife drives an '07 ES 350 (her previous car was a '99 ES 300), while I drive an '01 BMW 330i with sport package & 5-speed manual. You'd be hard put to find 2 more dissimilar cars.

The Lexus is a highway cruiser par excellence, with a well-cushioned ride that filters out most road irregularities. It's an overweight nose-heavy front driver that's happiest on an Interstate with the cruise control set to 75. If you're coming from a 3-series BMW, you're going to dislike the numb, uncommunicative steering. This is not a car for people who like spirited driving on winding back roads. My wife loves it; I don't particularly like it. But I will give it a high score for its supportive & highly adjustable seats -- easily the best that I've experienced in any Japanese car & almost as good as the best Euro seats. Also in the car's favor are a quiet cabin at highway speeds (the '07 is far superior to the '99 in this respect) & the excellent sound system (our car is equipped with the Mark Levinson). I would also commend the car for its 1st-rate fit & finish & overall build quality.

A couple of suggestions: A 5-series BMW without the sport package might give you the ride comfort you need without forcing you to give up competent handling. (I suggested this to my wife, but she didn't like the Bangle styling.) Also, don't settle for a short test drive. Insist on an extended test drive over a variety of road surfaces.
  • Options
    lmillerlmiller Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your response. I may check out the 5 series. I had assumed that it would give the same firm ride but the longer wheelbase might make the difference. It is a tough move for me because I share your preference for a more communicative ride.
  • Options
    tonyguy2000tonyguy2000 Member Posts: 39
    I drove my ES350 from Los Angeles to Dallas and then again from Dallas to West Palm beach , Florida. The car is exceptionally smooth on the road, you can't feel any sharp bumps at all), but..............the seats are the most uncomfortable seats I ever sat in. I am 6'220 pounds. After 2 hours of driving my back is killing me. I tried every adjustment possible and still can't get comfortable. There is also something in the seat that is felt after sitting a few hours. I was told by the dealer it's the heating/venting mechanism in the seats. I am selling my car in another few months due to excessive wind noise, dash rattles and uncomfortable seats. I hope you have better luck with your purchase.
  • Options
    Consumer Reports have rated front seats of this car as Exceptionally comfortable. I agree with their view. Perhaps for someone of your height/weight this car is not suitable.
  • Options
    zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    I'm 6'2" and weigh 225 and have had no problem with my seat. Curious, have you adjusted the lumbar support for the seat? Mine is set pretty much at maximum...could that be it?

I have to say I've never been in a quieter car - I have an Avalon 05 and I thought it was quiet. I feel much of it is very personal...what is quiet to one person, isn't to the other.

Too bad you've decided to get rid of it; I think you just got a vehicle which has some quirks.
  • Options
    kayenkayen Member Posts: 5
    I traded in a 2002 325CiC for an es350 and couldn't be happier. The seats are so much more comfortable than in the 325. They have so many more adjustments and i have never been happier with a car than with my new Lexus. The smoother ride will also help your back problems. I felt spanked in the BMW and I am totally coddled in the Lexus.
  • Options
    tjazz321tjazz321 Member Posts: 8
    Folks, I'm getting very nervous. I am a week away from taking delivery of a new ES 350, black, with the premium package and a few other perks(the $38,200 MSRP package), and I read through some of these posts with horror. Transmission problems? Quality issues? Fragile sheet metal? Bad black paint? Why in the world would Consumer Reports, the car magazines, and even Edmunds rate the car so highly if this were the prevailing experience. I just spoke with the service manager who had encountered only one bad transmission of all the ES's delivered by New Country Lexus in Latham, NY. He said no questions asked, Lexus took the whole transmission and replaced it immediately under warranty. I am coming out of a 2001 Avalon with 170k miles which has been the most trouble-free car I ever owned, and this is my first foray into a luxury badge. In fact, I am choosing the ES over the new Avalon Touring. Am I crazy? What can I resonably expect of this ES? My test drive suggested none of the shift quirks, and the car is drop-dead gorgeous. The dealer of course was trying to sell me the dreaded paint sealant/guarantee and I almost laughed. Do I need it? Holy cow, somebody give me the straight scoop on this car!
  • Options
    A well stated, balanced viewpoint. I corresponded with the GM today at the dealership and he pointed to the objective surveys, brand reputation, and dealer/company support available. I believe him, as it would do no good for business or personal integrity to overpromise or mislead. I take delivery in a week. Can't wait. BTW, I am faced with choices on extended warranties and service agreements. Kind of pricey. Opinions?
  • Options
    maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    tjazz, I'm sure your Lexus ES will be perfect in every way. Unless you happen to fall in that small percentage of "problem ES's", I seriously doubt that you're going to have problems. Enjoy your new ride when you get it.
    The Treatment at Lexus is completely different from any of the other auto dealerships I've dealt with in over 20 years of driving, and I mean that in the most positive way.

I'm in my eighth month of driving an '07 Lexus RX350, almost 11,000 miles and not one problem so far. This is my first experience with a Lexus/Toyota product. This car has been a dream to drive so far!

So don't fret, and enjoy your vehicle!!
  • Options
    gjfes350gjfes350 Member Posts: 7
    I wish you the best of luck with your new ES. As for me I am currently engaged in a significant law suit with my Lexus dealership and Lexus over the lemon of an ES-350 that they sold to me. I've had my transmission replaced after several engagements with the dearleship who refused to recognize my problem. Now my voice response system no longer works, nor does my bluetooth and navigation system. I've had the tire pressure sensors replaced and the list goes on and on. I am a new customer to Toyota and Lexus and a last customer as well. I'm not impressed in the least. Lexus corporate has been passing the buck to the dealership and the dealership passes it to Lexus. I'm completely out of the picture now that I have a team of lawyers working my case.
  • Options
    mdamesmdames Member Posts: 79
    I've owned my 2007 ES350 since November 2006. It now has about 4000 miles on it. It is the best car I've ever owned. I've had no transmission problems, or any of the other problems mentioned by a few others. The only problem I had was an annoying little rattle in the front passenger seat. My Lexus dealership took care of it very quickly. I have received the best service of any vehicle brand ever from Lexus. Although there are some that denigrate Lexus and the ES350 (perhaps with cause), I think you'll find that this is the exception. Enjoy the ES. It is a great car!
  • Options
    creamy4lifecreamy4life Member Posts: 7
    Well I got my ES 350 on the 3rd of April. I came from a 96 Camry LE V6. The ES 350 was built in FEB 2007. I've had 1 transmission flare and 1 time where it hesitated at 4k rpm @ 500ish odometer rating. Hasn't happened again with a total driven mileage of 800 as of now. I would definitely post any more problem but it seems really fine now.

Smooth ride, no rattle noises, no wind noise till I hit 70-80ish mph, great power. Basic sound system sounds fine too.

I got the perma - plate treatment and I notice no difference but I've had a few friends tell me its shinier. Two days later I did get paint chipped off my hood from a pebble while I was driving 80-90mph but I guess thats what you get for speeding :(

Service is really awesome especially the loaner RX 400h.
    Hope this helps.

OH and definitely get the glass roof, the nav and the sunshade, I regret not doing so. Dont need the vented seats even though I live in Miami. Dont need the parking assist either if you got excellent driving skills and its really annoying. Hmmm what else.... definitely get a spoiler and chromed rims :)
  • Options
    Update from my original post (April 13): I love my new black/black ES 350! 1000 miles into it, all types of driving, and without doubt the most substantial and well-executed car I've ever owned. Plenty of performance, though of course it doesn't steer or handle like a German sports sedan--not meant to. But certainly good enough for the real world. Power is impressive. The transmission: yes I can see that some might be frustrated with some slow downshifts in normal auto mode, and it does have some shifting characteristics I haven't experienced before. But experimentation has shown me that if I adapt my driving style to the car's traits, in terms of finessing the accelerator and finding its sweet spots, it runs flawlessly and impressively. That said, it bends to my will perfectly in manual mode, with quick, responsive downshifts. Also, I'm getting around 28 mpg overall...amazing. This is one serious driving machine, and balances performance and comfort perfectly. Oh, and my bluetooth works great with my Verizon Razr--better audio than a headset. My only complaint is what seems to be a less than worthy basic stereo, but I'm willing to spend some time to see if it just takes some time to unlock its secrets. Now I know it's only the first 1000 miles, but I am very satisfied with my choice.
  • Options
    iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    Hi I recently bought a new ES 350 and am very well inmpressed with the car, gets excellent gas mileage, and lots of power, but I am having a problem. It happened last week when I was driving home and I went over a speed bump at about 4 miles an hour and my CD player stoped working, so I took it to the dealers for repairs they said everything looked fine, it's that my CD's are messing up the CD player, I was outraged :mad: and now I am not allowed to play half of my music. Is this a manufacter defect or do you all ES 350 owners have similar problem's to me? The car is excellent, but the CD player is very, very low tech. Respond back A.S.A.P! Thanks!
  • Options
    Give us some more information. You say that you can't play half of your CD collection. What's different about these CDs? Did you burn them yourself? If so, what burner & brand of media did you use? Did you burn them to CD-R or CD-RW? Did you use your burner's top speed? If so, burning at a lower speed might help.
  • Options
    Only 3 are burned while the rest are CD's I bought, I am not sure if the CD's are burned at a fast speed, I'll have to get back to you on that, but the CD's are from Office Depot and they are CD-R type I bought them about 3 years ago. If I did use my burner at a fast speed, how might I slow it down? :confuse: You feedback is appricated! Thank you!
  • Options
    If CDs are old they may be rated for slower speed. If you burn them at a speed higher than they are rated, they could give problems. CD Burn programs have settings/options for speed etc.
  • Options
    We've played both store-bought & home-burned CDs in my wife's ES 350 without any problems.

Pull a couple of your newest CDs from your collection - disks that are still in pristine condition. Now try playing them in your car while driving on smooth roads. Are they skipping? If so, your player is probably defective. Go back to your dealer & politely demand that he address this issue.
  • Options
    Thank you, somebody see's it my way, I have scheduled an appointment for Tuesday for my 5K mile service and I will also bring this up to.
  • Options
    acat1234acat1234 Member Posts: 5
    I have driven an ES 350 for 12,000 miles and I now convinced that I gave far too much credit for the "expert" opinions posted by the various reviewing agencies. This is my first (and last)Lexus. I have always driven GM products and thought I would geive this car, with the automotive press's glowing reports, a try. I can only say that my 2001 Olds Aurora (I know - not made any more) was a far superior car in acceleration, ride, handling, etc. There were some reliability issues which were annoying.
    However, the Lexus, at a far greater price, has just as many defects, for instance:

Throttle Lag - the worst I have ever experienced in any car (but the dealer says this is normal)

Rain sensitive wipers - Those put on GM cars are far superior. The Lexus ones continue to wipe and smear the windshield in thw winter. Dealer "has done all he can do - that is just the way they are).

Cold start up - The engine reminds me of the old VW diesel Jettas it is so loud. Again, "That's just the way it is".

Engine Noise - The engine is noisier that the Aurora.

The car does have a smooth ride and is attractively styled. However, next car will be a Cadillac.
  • Options
    joedejoede Member Posts: 2
    Just pull up on the passenger blades and they both will pop up. Its in the manual on how to place them down, by pushing down on the passenger blade.
  • Options
    I don't know about the 350, but on my 330 there is a rotary switch with three settings for sensitivity of the rain-sensing wiper on the wiper control stalk.
  • Options
    On all my previous lexus (4) the auto interior/exterior air control retains its memory after the engine is turned off. Mine is the nav system model. On all other ES350 models without the nav, the car retains the setting in the non-volatile memory. Dealer comment - too bad, thats the way it was built. Have since discovered that the 08 has this problem corrected. Service manager comment - so what, your car was built with different features. Would appreciate replies from owners with the same problem, thanks :lemon:
  • Options
    What do you mean by pullup the passenger blade? Could you please write the page number in the manual. Thanks.
  • Options
    With a hand on the passenger blade, slide the blade/arm towards the top of the windshield--you're essentially performing the sweeping motion of the wiper by hand. You don't need to slide it upward too far--just enough so that the base of the arm clears the upper edge of the hood, so that the arm/blade assembly doesn't clank against the hood (don't want to chip the paint, you know) when you bend it outwards, which I'll soon describe. Anyways, you may need to exert a little bit of effort--it'll seem like the arm won't budge at all when you attempt to slide it upward...that's where you just need to nudge it a bit harder...not to worry--it won't break on you...not unless you're one of those folks who don't know your own strength--LOL! Once you slide it upward to where it clears the hood edge, then you can just lift the arm outward at the pivot point.
  • Options
    prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    New sleek side rear view mirrow and rear reading lights beside the handle on the roof and no UL package. Check this out...
    http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/
  • Options
    What is noted in NHTSA's probe on All-weather rubber mats has been experienced by me too. But I was lucky to think of bringing the vehilce in Neutral, and come to side side and stop. Only then I realized that the pedal was stuck in the rubber all-weather mat. In May, Toyota sent out a warning to secure mats properly.
  • Options
    The gray mats in my 330 are driving me crazy. They show everything and never look good.

Instead of the thick black all-weather mats, I ordered a pair of genuine replacement carpet mats in black for $95.
  • Options
    malpert1malpert1 Member Posts: 6
    On my previous ES 300 i was able to see mpg avg mpg etc but now on the new Es 350 that is gone.
    and i dont see it on the navigator.. where can i see time elapsed from when i began my trip and when i got to destination.... only when car traveled shoudl be reportedin time and distance.. if you stop thats not included
  • Options
    crazymacrazyma Member Posts: 20
    I just returned from a 1500 mile round-trip roadtrip in my new 350. I have to say, it was the best ride I have ever experienced over that kind of distance. The seemingly endlessly variable positions of the seat, steering column, and temperature (including seat) were wonderful for getting out of unconfortable positions. It was hot, so I pretty much ran the AC the whole way, except for when arriving at the beach (then we had to put down the windows and open the sunroof of course). The navigation system was a real winner too. Not only did it get me from A-B and B-A very well, but it got me around a major accident with an 8 mile back-up in no time using the detour function. It was really an exceptional trip. Going down the east coast, I averaged slightly better than 33mpg (I couldn't believe it) and going up the east coast, around 31mpg. The car was fun to drive, easily coasts at 80-85mph in 6th on the highway and maintains reserves for passing and a bit of fun on more rural roadways. I just wanted to let everyone know how pleased I was with the vehicle.
  • Options
    music4kpmusic4kp Member Posts: 9
    About a month ago, I reported that the winter mats got stuck under the accelerator while I was on the the freeway, causing temprary loss of control of the acceleration. As a last resort I remedied the situation by shifting to neutral. However, this caused the engine to rev to redline as I coasted to the emergency lane, at which time I discovered that it was the winter mats that were the culprit. My next concern was that the engine redlining would've certainly caused some sort of damage. Well, I'm happy to report that after taking my Lexus in for a diagnostic check, the engine is fine and still runs like new. It's like this thing is invincible. My ES350 may look all elegant and reserved on the outside, but on the inside it really is built like a rock. Thanks Lexus.
  • Options
    Revving engine to the redline is not recommended. However, it does not mean that engine would be damaged just by going near or over it. If you consistently do so, engine parts would be effected, but if it happens,intentionally or unintentionally, once in a while design should manage it without any adverse impact. I also once had accelerator stuck under the rubber mat. Not knowing why car won't slow I shifted to neutral and stopped.
This discussion has been closed.