Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Rattles and Noises

Comments

• b1rd0gb1rd0g Member Posts: 11
    I had a noise at 50MPH. My 2005 TSX had about 200 miles on it when I noticed it. Brought it in to have the seats fixed, since the bolsters were not installed correctly, and to have the noise checked. After checking the noise, they said I needed a new tranny! Acura quality! I don't think so. Their trannys are made in Ohio. What's wrong with that picture. This is my first Acura, my second Honda. My 2004 Civic EX was flawless...and I traded that in for this. I just can't believe it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,791
    They made your Civic in Ohio, also.... Not sure what that has to do with it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mizzriveramizzrivera Member Posts: 5
    I had the same noise right around 60mph. I can only hear it if my radio is off. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. I noticed it at around 10K miles. I now have 22,000 and no problems. I will say that a friend of mine had a whining sound too at around 70mph. But hers required a transmission change. Take it in and see what they say.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Assuming that's an AT.
  • ub95ub95 Member Posts: 2
    I have 05 TSX (auto) and I'm hearing the same whining noise from the engine area around 50-60 mph as noticed by others (once I noticed it, it's quite audible every time). I believe it's not wind noise because it stops immediately when I release the accelerator, as Carridog notes (the noise stops even before the car starts slowing down). Having seen the same observations by others, I'm beginning to think the problem is inherent to TSX; but I wonder if other TSX owners are really experiencing this and if anyone has found out anything about it.
  • carridogcarridog Member Posts: 8
    Word!
  • wheelwomanwheelwoman Member Posts: 1
    I just test drove an 05 TSX (auto) and heard a whining or whirring noise whenever I touched the accelerator at 50 - 60 mph. Press the accelerator at this mph and you'll hear it, take your foot off and it goes away. If do this with short "pumps" the noise is really noticeable. The salesperson just gave me a glazed over look when I pointed it out. Great car otherwise. Not sure if I should buy it.
  • ub95ub95 Member Posts: 2
    That's exactly what I meant. So I guess the "problem" is quite universal. I sent an inquiry to Honda Japan. By the way, I just noticed TSX is sold as Accord there.

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/accord/
  • softwareguysoftwareguy Member Posts: 9
    2005 TSX, 6 MT, Non-navi with 1,500 miles:

I was experiencing a creaking sound from the windshield (top center) during dry, colder days. On the first 2 trips to the dealer, my car warmed up, so we couldn't hear it. On the 3rd trip, the Service Mgr admitted that he's seen this on other TSXs (and other Acuras) in the past.

He replaced the glass immediately. The clips holding the glass were not properly set - they were loose, which caused them to rub against the glass and frame over bumps.

Now my TSX is back to perfect!
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Yeah it's fairly common. Our 04 does it, but at the rate we go through windshields, I am going to wait for a rock chip/crack before replacing the glass.

I am surprised Acura has not fixed the issue on the 05 models -- quite a few 04 models had the problem and you'd think they would address it....

Craig
  • thepdmmthepdmm Member Posts: 82
    So I had my windshield creaking fixed also but now when the car is warming up the windshield makes a rattle sound (same pitch as the creaks used to be) but it only happens for about 1 to 15 minutes and then stops(noise sounds like it comes from the center bottom).. is this the same thing.. have the created a new problem what do you all think?

they actually had to replace the windshield twice cause the first time they tried to fix it the old windshield they scratched the black finish around the outside so I said they need to fix that.. so this has been done twice technically...

another question door rattles are going to be coming up since the weather is warming up (I can hear it if the car warms up during the day) does anybody know what the problem is? not if it has been fixed but they actually know what was done to fix it?

by the way my brakes are fine.. rear brakes won't usually go out first they provide ~25% of the cars total stopping power.. the brake guy is don't something wrong or something isn't adjusted right....
  • davecmdavecm Member Posts: 1
    I had the creaking fixed on my 2004 TSX last year - mainly from the right hand side..now it is cold again, a similar noise is now coming from the left hand side of the windscreen...I would have thought that one fix is all it would take but it sounds as if you had to make several trips to get this fixed. Is there a technical service bulletin on this problem. I love the car but these noises are driving me nuts...partly because I'm now anticipating the creak every time I go over a bump! I'm planning to go back to the dealer next week..hopefully for the last time for this problem.
  • thepdmmthepdmm Member Posts: 82
    I would honestly wait till it warms up before you let a dealership cut into your windshield again, I had horrible experience with them doing it.. they cut it out the first time fixed the problem and created a terrible whissle noise.. took two more tries to fix that before getting it right to find scratches on the inside of the glass which then was fixed again.. (got it right the first time that time)

I have noticed when it creaking it is ONLY when the tempature is warming from being cold out and for me it only lasts about 1 to 10 minutes and it quits... TO ME it isn't worth it.. I would say wait till it warms up and see if it still does it.. but you may not have the same problem as me?? I would guess it is just two differant kinds of material up against eachother warming at differant rates..

you wouldn't happen to know what was done to fix the door rattle would you? I am prepared to fix that myself or try another dealership, but I would like to know what was done that actually fixed it. My dealership has been unsuccessful so far but in all fairness to them the last couple of times I have been there it has not done it.
  • therebelgriztherebelgriz Member Posts: 5
    All,

The frame that the TSX must be the same as the Accord. I bought an Accord 1/3/5 and had the problem with the creaking and popping of the windshield. After about a month they finally fixed the problem, then the drivers seat started shifting 1/4 inch every time I drove through a corner.

Thus, I decide to trade in the Accord for a TSX. After having the TSX for 3.5 hrs it started making the same noises as the Accord did...

I thought the windshield was going to pop out and/or crack...

Come to find out the TSX and Accord are built on the same frame and this is a very common problem for the 7th generation of the Accord frame.

This is definitely a frustrating issue that Honda needs to remedy.
  • rko2rko2 Member Posts: 40
    I didn't find a topic on this, but I appologize if it is redundant.

I have occasionally heard a "popping" noise from my 2004 TSX windshield. It sounds like a little rock hitting the window, but there is no rock. Anyway, the dealer told me this morning that there is a technical bulletin out about this problem. If you have 3 hours, they can remove some of the trim and reposition some of the windshield clips to fix it. They do not have to break the seal around the windshield, so no problems there.

I will probably take care of this soon, and I thought everyone else would like to know that the dealer should be aware of the problem if you ask about it.
  • seitzerseitzer Member Posts: 2
    I had the problem with my '04 as well. The dealer had the windshield removed and re-sealed which fixed the problem. This is a common TSX problem that has been addressed in other forums. Hopefully it was fixed for the '05 models.
    Cabin noise seems to be a problem in general; the seatbelt holder right above your ear tends to rattle when going over rough surfaces for example.
    I have heard the seatbelt holder rattle as well, and it seems to be better in certain positions for me.

As for the cabin noise, it is much easier to hear anything wierd when it is so quiet (as it is in my TSX). Plus, the firmer ride most likely causes some sounds not heard in cars with softer suspensions. My 2 cents.
  • seitzerseitzer Member Posts: 2
    "heard the seatbelt holder rattle as well, and it seems to be better in certain positions"

if you mean with it lowered as low as possible, that makes a difference for mine as well. Unfortunately it makes the seatbelt very uncomfortable. Any other alternatives? I've thought about trying to wedge something in the holder to see if that stops the noise...
  • martomarto Member Posts: 1
    I think that the seat belt chime is very annoying. does anyone have any idea how to turn it of or even disconnect it. i already looked under the stearing wheel, but i can't pinpoint the beeper. thank you.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I think that the seat belt chime is very annoying. does anyone have any idea how to turn it of or even disconnect it. i already looked under the stearing wheel, but i can't pinpoint the beeper. thank you.

Buckle up and it will turn off.
  • stillookingstillooking Member Posts: 17
    As expected the ventilation fan was defective. It is difficult to get justification for the repair because Acura has instructed their dealership not to fix anything unless they personally can hear or see the problem. They wouldn't even accept an audio recording. I lucked out in that when I was leaving the dealership I heard the noise and had the service person listen to it. Once he heard it no problem in getting approval for fan replacement.
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    Wow, you had that problem for awhile. I'm glad you were able to get it repaired finally, and just in time for the hot months.
    How loud was this fan noise? I hear a very faint, high pitched, constant sound that I can only hear when at idle or low speed. Is this what you were referring to? If not, does anyone else hear this? It is present when the fan is turned off too.
  • jimflysjimflys Member Posts: 4
    I'm a possible future buyer of the TSX. But I notice on the past forum that it had/has a problem with cheap speaker. With only test driving the dealers Demo. I didn't really have a chance to "Crank the Tunes" But what I did notice was a "winds noise" that seemed to be coming from the outside mirrors. Has anyone else notice this? Is this a "normal" noise out of the TSX and did Acura fix the problem with their "Cheap" speakers.

Thanks
    I think the only people who will think the TSX has "cheap" speakers are extreme audiophiles. I think the stereo in the TSX sounds wonderful.

I haven't had any problems with wind noise coming from the outside mirrors. Although, the TSX was so quiet while cruising on the freeway compared to my previous car (2001 Mazda Protege), it was the first time I could actually hear the sound of the wind as it rushed around the car.
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    when the complaint forum is primarily(recently) composed of "cheap speakers" and wind noise :P . IMO that is great! hehe. anyways, as to the "cheap speakers" portion of it, the rear 6x9's that are supposed to be sub speakers, well, are just foul, IMO. then again, 6x9's aren't great subs anyways, and there isn't enough wattage in the OEM system for any decent sound. I rewired them, running them as supplemental rear speakers(thru an amp) and am using the same amp to power a pair of MTX dvc 10" subs. sounds great. all the interior speakers are the same, and I have no issue with clarity, or mid bass response. it cost me ~$400 to do all the work myself and it's the cheapest stereo upgrade i've done so far. (previous car stereo installs: 1994 Corolla ~$2000, new interiors, new head unit, added 2 amps and subs- 2000 Civic ~3000, new interiors, new head unit, added 2 amps and subs- 2002 Trailblazer - junk. couldn't do anything with it traded it(would have been over 4k) - 2003 Honda Accord: used same from Civic, all new interior speakers and added amps.

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but i expect my stereo to sound good and be able to reproduce all the sounds in a song(at least down to 50hz) without sounding like a paper bag. I think that the TSX has an exceptional stereo system included in it, and if you want some decent bass, you will need to add at least one sub.

Wind noise, all the cars have it, then again, i always leave my sunroof tilted up so i guess i don't notice...

The only wierd thing that I have noticed with mine is occasionally, in the morning, when the car has been sitting for a while, if i drive out of my garage slowly, then full turn to the left, and apply a bit of braking, the passenger front brakes hum... wierd, but i'll deal with it... :P
    You spent $2000 upgrading a Corrola's stereo system and $3000 upgrading a Civic's stereo system and you claim you are NOT an audiophile?

A word of advice: the first step in getting help is admitting you have a problem. ;)
  • szewslowtsxszewslowtsx Member Posts: 4
    I am new to this forum and have not seen previous discussions on the "weird noise" problem. Would you please describe the noise? It would be helpful to identify such problems that may occur for new car owner.
  • new2benthnew2benth Member Posts: 2
    I hear this crackling noise coming from the rear when I turn. It sounds like a stiff piece of plastic that is being bent or something. It happens when I turn even at slow speeds, but also happens if I go over a bump at high speeds. It’s really annoying. Has anyone has this problem before? I checked for loose stuff in the trunk and rear and couldn’t find anything.
  • dooly7976dooly7976 Member Posts: 1
    That noise is coming from .... you won't believe where is coming from it's none other then your ................ SUN ROOF.... that's right the sun roof. One day I drove with my roof tilted and the sliding door opened the sound was louder than usual so I closed the roof then I slid open the sun roof half way the moment I did this the sound wa minimal So check your TSX if it isn't the sun roof then you have a suspension problem^^
  • new2benthnew2benth Member Posts: 2
    well, im headed to the dealer today, i'll check the sunroof on my way there. I'll keep everyone posted on what they find. Would have never thought it was from the sunroof though.
  • 123tsx123tsx Member Posts: 1
    I have a TSX with 26000 km and have the same trouble on both side. I cannot find where the noise comming from. I thought that there were small rocks in bottoms of the doors beacause I'm leaving on a street that there is no asphalt yet. I will check that this weekend.
    I also have had this problem since I bought the car. It isn't as much of rattle, as it is a rubbing type sound. I think it is the window rubbing the upper seal inside. The dealer fixed it once by lubing it a little, but that fix failed after putting the window down several times. The sound is really annoying when you go over bumbs, I agree.

I am bringing my car in to get the seat and window fixed, so hopefully they will be able to find a more permanent fix. Or, tell me how to temporality fix it after every car wash.
  • jisenbergjisenberg Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 05 TSX since December 04. Almost immediately, I noticed a rattling noise (sounds more like a cricket chirping) that sounds like it's coming from somewhere behind the dashboard. I've brought it into the dealer 6 times in 7 months for this problem and they can't fix it. Any ideas?
  • jisenbergjisenberg Member Posts: 2
    I bought an 05 TSX in December 04. Almost immediately, I noticed a chirping noise that sounds like a cricket - it's coming from somewhere behind the dashboard (originally I thought the CD player was put in wrong). I've brought it into the dealer 6 times in 7 months for the same problem; they don't know what the problem is and I am out of ideas. Has anyone experienced a similar noise? My nice entry level luxury vehicle sounds like a cheap piece of junk - although it's really not cheap, it does sound horrible.
  • mcelduffmcelduff Member Posts: 3
    2004 tsx, auto that has 35K miles. Over past 2 months has started to make a loud booming sound at 35-37mph and again at 55-60mph. Changing gear affects it very little. Sounds like running on trailing throttle in open exhaust car. Passengers are difficult to converse with and have independently confirmed it is real. Double checked tire pressures and airbox.
    ideas appreciated
    Thanks
    Mac
  • cargoescargoes Member Posts: 7
    Every time when I pulled out the car and started driving in few feet, a noise will come out from bottom of the car, some where below the engine. The dealer claimed it was normal, from ABS system. How many cars have ABS? Many! Do they have such noises? Not that I know... Does anyone understand or think it is acceptable? Thanks.
  • stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    I have the "noise" in my car also. My 1997 Saturn and 2003 Toyota Matrix made the same noise....I am used to it.
  • drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    Yep, it's normal. Mine does it every time right after I start moving. My previous car, a Passat, did it too.
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    What you all are hearing is the anti-lock brakes performing a self test diagnostic. Good thing....normal. Self-test is to ensure your safety....so I find it very acceptable.
  • stillookingstillooking Member Posts: 17
    Despite the time this problem has been out there, it took a visit to two different dealers, both of whom did not hear the the windshield creak before it was fixed. One dealer claimed it was only my care (Fountain Acura, Orlando) and the Courtesy Acura (sanford, Fl) knew of the tech bulletin and fixed it anyway. Now for the door buzz on the drivers side.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Yep. ABS self-test. Normal. My 93 Accord does it. My 97 Pathfinder does it. And my 04 TSX does it. The only difference between them what the noise sounds like, and the exact conditions under which the self-test is performed (typically under 10mph immediately following engine startup).

If you don't like the noise, you could just remove the ABS fuse. :P ;)
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    I have an 05 TSX w/auto and have been having some issues with a rattle that seems to be coming from the front passenger dash board area. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they get it to stop. Early in the morning when it is dead quiet outside (i.e. o'dark-thirty) and the radio is off it is quite annoying. I have read some past posts on here for possible solutions but have tried some of them to no avail. If I was to try and describe the sound of the rattle it would be something like a screw or a clip of some sort behind the dash area that has come loose or perhaps fallen out and is now vibrating somewhere. In the afternoon on the commute home the noise is not that noticeable, but then again allot more traffic noise from outside. I have tried to move the seatbelt postioner up and down, check the window seal...I even thought it might be coming from the speaker in the door (i.e. maybe a bad speaker).
    But after turning off the radio....the rattle remains.
    I know....the quick fix is to just turn the radio up loud and try not to listen to it...
    My other vehicle is a Honda Pilot and that baby is very quiet...no rattles whatsoever! Has Acura come up with any solutions for this I wonder...especially since I noticed that other people are having the same problem.
    Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Bring it in to the dealer and have them check it out...as it is under warranty.
    I have a similar rattle in my car and it's the 'A' pillar between the door and windshield. If I lightly push on it, the rattle stops. I've seen elsewhere online that is a pretty common rattle, especially when it is cool outside.

I need to take my car in for a "free" oil change at 5,000 miles and I'll get the rattle addressed then.
    Thanks for the response...
    When you say you pushed on the "A" pillar the sound went away right?
    Are you talking about where the side curtain airbag is between the front door and windshield? So if you were buzzing down the road you could just reach over and push on it and the sound would disappear? I read your post yesterday and tried that on my way into work this a.m. (5:00 am) and my rattle didn't stop.
    What type of sound does your rattle make? The rattle in my car sounds like a clip or screw has come loose and has fallen somewhere in the behind the door panel or maybe even the dash. It's almost like the sound of putting loose change in a cup holder that has no rubber insert in the bottom (like the TSX has) and when you go over bumps the coins vibrate. But in this case instead of loose change it sounds like a screw or maybe some sort of clips....
    Thanks
    I was talking about the cover over the side curtain airbag between the front door and windshield. It sounds like our rattles have different causes.

I haven't paid much attention to how it sounds recently, other than noting that it still exists, especially when the ambient temperature is cool.
  • lostmaplostmap Member Posts: 1
    Has any experienced a popping sound under the driver's seat of their car when making right or left turns? I just started experiencing this the past couple of days. I think a spring might be broken or something in the seat. It is quite annoying.

Thanks,
    TX-MAP
    I have an 05 TSX and have been hearing rattles coming from the passenger side front seat/dash area. I took it to the dealer and they told me that they tighten the glove box handle and hinges and also tighten some clips behind the A pillar (where the air bag is) between the front windshield and front door. But guess what...the rattle is still there and from what it sounds like...same location. I thought it might be a speaker so I shut off the radio...rattle still there...thought it might be the window seal on the front passenger window...rolled down a touch...rattle still there...thought it might be the safety belt on the passenger side...moved the belt up and down with the positioner...different places...rattle still there....I am now out of ideas....please help....I know when you take it to the dealer they use the line "cannot duplicate" the sounds...but this rattle is real annoying...especially eary in the morning and the traffic is light so not allot of outside noise to drown out the rattle noise. It's getting to the point that I might have to get rid of this car that I love...it's that bad!
    Any ideas???? Thanks in advance.
    No fix, but you aren't alone. I have the exact same rattle that sounds like it is coming from the A pillar, but only in the morning when the air and car are cool.

I took it in once and they didn't fix it. Since I need to take it in again in a couple of months for the 5K oil change, I've just been living with it until then.b