Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi TT Timing Belt Problems

jon11jon11 Member Posts: 1
edited December 2020 in Audi
I have a 2000 Audi TT FWD. It is a california Car. I am the 2nd owner the fist was a movie actor whos mother in law lives on the east cost. The fist thing we did was up grade the clutch using a VW Jetta the original clutch is made poorly. The Main thing is the Timing Belt. If you don't change it at 60 thousand mile get ready for a new motor, like I,m installing today out of a wreck with lower miles.
Good luck. Also the 2000 and 99 A6s has a throttle plate problem. It freezes up in the winter check with your dealer if if you live in the northern states. :sick:

Comments

• saabofdanburysaabofdanbury Member Posts: 1
    Bought my TT 2.5 years ago when it had 60k on it. Bought a great warranty that has paid for itself more than twice. So far I have had the following done:
    Instrument Cluster, Starter, Blinker Switch, Glove Box Latch.
    Also had that recall done where they give you a new suspension, and a spoiler, which goes down in history as the best recall ever.
    My warranty expires in 1500 miles. I've heard I should have the timing belt done at 85. What should I expect in terms of troubles in the upcoming 10-20k miles?
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    -Charlie
  • quattrorttquattrortt Member Posts: 3
    Read your post. Can you tell me what warranty company you went with and what the cost coverage and time you got. Thanks Steve
  • consideringconsidering Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know which warranty company you went with, what the coverage was, and how much it costed.

I'm thinking about getting an '01 180hp with 60k miles. Do you recommend going through with it?

Thanks.
  • quattrorttquattrortt Member Posts: 3
    If you're driving on the original timing belt count your blessings and get it done asap, I mean now! If you read the audi forums such as audiworld.com you will see what a huge chance you are taking. If your belt fails you are looking at many many thousands of dollars in repairs.
  • drhunter950drhunter950 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Guy, I found two very good warranty companies. Warranty By Net and also Warranty Direct. been very fortunate also with them. What was the recall on the suspensiona nd spoiler you mentioned.
  • fluidttfluidtt Member Posts: 1
    I dont know why this isnt covered by a recall, but there is a very big issue with the timing belt on Audi TT's.

Once that timing belt snaps, you will need to replace major engine parts costing thousands of dollars. Thats if your whole engine doesnt seize/melt. (Engine Blown)

After what I've read about this issue, im going to get this fixed before the belt snaps off, cause once it snaps off, you will need to replace very expensive parts. (cylinder head/engine)

Being that this is not covered via recall, you will have to pay for this out of your pocket. This repair costs $1400.00 to $2000.00 depending on what Audi dealer you go to.

I think there is a class action lawsuit, but do not quote me. Anyhow a class action will not help this problem at all.

Consider this a heads up to "ALL" Audi TT Owners.

Belts been snapping on Audi TT's with 47k to 80k miles on there engines.
  • tterribletterrible Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: I write this response as my TT, which has been the bane of my existence since I bought it 2 years ago, sits in a dealership service bay in more pieces than I care to know. Audi says to replace timing belt at 90,000 miles. My 2001 roadster is well under 75,000. While idling at a stop light one week ago today, the engine sputtered out and would not restart. At first, I believed it to be a repeat of the fuel sender pump problems that stranded me on a dark, snowy, rural road last November. I have no such luck. Some teeth on the timing belt broke which had the same effect as if the timing belt had snapped. Thankfully I was at idle so it only needs 8 new exhaust valves, 4 intake valves, a new timing belt, about $1,500 in labor and a few cam gears. The fact that I was idling at a top light probably saved me from needing a new engine.
    Thankfully, I had the foresight to purchase a third-party warranty for 4 years of 48,000 miles which will cover the belt and the valve damage.

The list of problems I have had with this car are too numerous to list here but suffice itto say that in the first 2 months I owned the car, it was only in my possession for 11 days. It had an endless stream of unrelated problems. The timing belts were the subject of a class action lawsuit that Audi settled a few years ago, but the settlement only applied to specific model years of A4 despite the fact that the same engine in used in many models of VW and Audi and similar timing belt problems seem to be noted for most of them. My dealer's Service Department acknowledges that the timing belts in the turbocharged models are subject to more strain then in cars that are not turbocharged. They also tell me that they encourage customers to have the belts replaced well in advance of the 90,000 deadline. In my case, it appears that I may end up doing well since I will be getting the expensive 90,000 mile service done under a warranty/breakdown insurance contract for far less than the cost of doing it preventatively. While that takes the sting out of it, I remain frustrated with the fact that, on average, the car seems to have some sort of serious failure every 6 months.

I believe that these cars are overly engineered and rely too heavily on expensive, fragile, computer-controlled systems with too many sensors and other points of failure. I don't think they can withstand more than a few years of regular driving and exposure to typical weather extremes. I have friends with Volkswagens who suffer similarly. I doubt that I would even buy another Audi or a Volkswagen. I had a Honda Accord that ran beautifully despite neglect and abuse for more than 132,000 miles with minimal issues. I had a Nissan Pathfinder that was practical, fun to drive, well-appointed and trouble free. Both vehicles were less expensive to buy, insure, maintain, and repair than the TT that is supposed to be a shining example of German engineering and reliability. Buy a Honda, Toyota, Nissan or anything that is more reliable and less expensive. They may not be as much fun to drive as a working TT but they are more fun to drive than the rental cars that will become a major source of transportation for you if you buy a TT.
  • dontbuyaudidontbuyaudi Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Audi TT and in general it wasn't too problem some until the Timing Belt snapped at just 49000 miles. This caused all of the engine problems that you guys have described above. I was driving at 70 mph on the freeway when it occurred. I lost the hydraulics and managed to pull the car over to the side lane. The towing charges alone were $250.00 by the time I got it to the dealer (Mirimar Audi). Audi USA and the dealership do not want to own up to the problem. After calling both parties and telling them that this is a known problem and that they should own it, they finally agreed on "20% good will". I am not happy with this and am still discussing this with them. They wanted 5000$ for the repair. The blue book value for the car is $14,000, somehow this doesn't make any sense to me. I will keep you posted on the outcome. I highly recommend folks to steer clear of the Audi TT.
    Outcome:
    I managed to get 30% out of Audi. Costing 3000$ for the repairs in the end. Totally unimpressed by Audi management and the way they handled this case. The top guys at Audi dealership are saying not to buy German cars including Audi. Wish they would have told me that when I pulled out my checkbook.
    I wrote a letter to the corporate head quarters and they didnt have the courtesy to respond to my mail. I guess they didnt want to formally acknowledge that they sell a POS product that they cannot stick by. The women called me up from Audi's office and told me explicitly that she would not send a response but that she did receive my letter. I asked her if she knew that the AUDI TT has an "interference" engine and she had NO clue. I am not done with AUDI, but settled for repairs of the car just to close the dilemna in the short term.
  • gege7754gege7754 Member Posts: 6
    I am thinking about buying a 2004 TT 225 Convertible with 63,000 miles. Is the timing belt still issue with later year build cars. All the problems I have seen relate to 2000-01 MY??? Thanks very much
  • arne1arne1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 TT has 23,000 miles and dealer says I should replace the timing belt now because of age. Also says there is no way to tell whether it is likely to go or not so best to replace. Car otherwise has been well maintained and only problems have been typically electrical. But I do live in SoCal desert area so car is driven and garaged in very hot area. Am I taking a stupid gamble to stretch another year or three of low mileage driving or should I bite the $1700 (including water pump etc) bullet?
  • provoscprovosc Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 Audi TT 1.8T 225HP for $6500.00 I practically stole the damn thing from my friend! My biggest concern is with the timing belt. As a previous Volkswagon owner, I've heard nothing but horror stories reguarding both VW & Audi's timing belt issues. Right now it has 93,000 miles and runs like a champion! Still fast as hell, especially when you grab the gears just right.

This raises a few questions:
    -Should I replace the timing belt as soon as I have the money??
    -Is it okay to have someone other than an Audi dealer change it?
    -Also, on average what can I expect to pay?

Thanks,
    Poor [non-permissible content removed] 23 year old college student!
    Absolutely change the belt now. It is way past the time it should be replaced, inspite of what the manufacturer recommends. When I walk into my dealers shop now, they verbally recommend that you have it taken care of at 60k miles.

I dont know what it costs when you are proactive and nip the issue in the butt. After the fact, minus the towing charges and inconvenience that it causes you expect to pay anywhere from 2k to 5k.

Good Luck.
  • bluecuervobluecuervo Member Posts: 3
    OMG! I am soooo sick to my stomach. I live in NY and was at a training session in Enfield CT. I got in my car to go home, it started, I backed it out, it stalled and never started again. I had no idea it was the timing belt, we thought it was the battery so we must have cranked the engine dozens of times. Needless to say, my car had to be towed to an Audi dealer in MA and that is where it is now. The tech told me it most likely is the belt and that the head will probably need to be replaced but he had to spend more time with it to know the extent of the damage. If the head is blown it will most likely cost $5K to fix. So, I'll wait to hear what the outcome will be for my car 2 states away. I turned 90K on that drive and the maint schedule says to change at 105K. I wish I had read this post miles ago..............I love my car, but I decided long ago I will never buy another Audi because of other strange issues that needed to be repaired while the car was still young - I owned it for 3 weeks and the turbo hose fell off at 75 mph, at 51K - 1K miles after the warranty expired and 2 weeks after I brought it in for service a pump and a bunch of vacuum hoses needed to be fixed to the tune of $998. The cruise control no longer works, every now and then the car hesitates while shifting, my side reflector is always falling off, the gas gauge is whacky...it's crazy... Good luck all... say a prayer for me...
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    if you went 132k on any Honda without changing the timing belt, you were living on borrowed time for 82,000 miles, it's well known that those belts go too, and that 50k is a prudent time to change, just like 60k is good on the 1.8t Audi/VW and 80k is a good time for the 2.8 Audi/VW V6. Even on Mercedes-Benz, with robust timing chains and no specified maint. interval, going over 100k without changing is Russian roulette.
    :cry: So, it cost $6139.58 to rebuild my engine, and the car still intermittently hesitates! All I can say is that I am disgusted. This thing better run forever now.

My maintenance book clearly states that the belt should be replaced at 105K miles. I don't care what anyone says or what anyone knows, if that is not accurate Audi needs to inform its customers or take responsibility. Why the hell does the book say 105K if the thing breaks at 40, 60 or 90????

It's funny how the Audi rep said that some people decide not to fix the car, and he keeps them and fixes them himself and has a new car! I bet he was hoping I would leave my $42K car up there too. :confuse:

It's a joke. :mad: Never again. I drove my 1989 Jeep Wrangler into the ground for almost 14 years. I never changed a timing chain or belt or hardly anything else for that matter. I abused that truck. I still have the thing sitting on my property. I could have rebuilt the entire truck for less than 6K and driven it another 14 years! To think I put it to pasture in 2002 to get this TT.
    And now there is something wrong with the exhaust! My car sounds like some punks supped up Honda. It's wheezing to... I can't. The thing is going in the garage until spring and I'll worry about it then.
  • klbovenklboven Member Posts: 1
    I periodically check the Audi TT blogs/forums regarding this timing belt issue. I have a 2000 Audi TT coupe that I purchased in 2003 with 32,000 miles on it. My timing belt broke in June 2006 on my drive from Los Angeles to Houston, TX at 83,000 miles. All of the car's maintenance since I purchased it used in 2003 was performed by the Audi Downtown Los Angeles dealership, even the 60K-mile maintenance where I instructed them to do EVERYTHING required plus anything they felt **should** be done. I even had a check-up at the dealership one month before I moved from Los Angeles to Houston (~82,000 miles).

In short, I was told the following by Audi USA and the Downtown L.A. dealership - after the fact:
    1) All TT timing belts should be replaced every 3 years or 60K miles. The US Owners manual is misprinted and says 105K miles. The Australian owners manual says 100K km. It is a mis-print in the US Owners manual - they didn't convert from metric to US measurements, which would be about 66K miles.
    2) The timing belt is composed of rubber - it degrades. Therefore, even if the car is low-mileage, after 3 years, the timing belt should be replaced because moisture, heat stress etc. cause wear and tear and it becomes brittle.
    3) As stated above, the engine is an interference engine. It will be destroyed if the timing belt breaks - not a great design but I guess it keeps things fairly compact. So the risk by not changing one's timing belt is an engine that is unusable and costs approx $6500 to repair.

In my case, Audi U.S. paid 50% of the replacement cost for the new engine PARTS, and the repair work was done by the dealership in Houston (Momentum Audi). In my opinion, Audi should have paid all of the labor, and possibly 100% of the parts as well. I had the documentation that the L.A. dealership had done all of my maintenance since I purchased the car.

Now my 2000 TT has a new engine, new brakes, new tires and runs basically good as new - with the exception of a little electrical glitch with my turn signals (at 94,000 miles). I don't see a reason to replace it now...aside from the timing belt, it has been a great car.

After the timing belt was replaced, I asked the mechanic who did the work what the next probable failure would be based on his experience with TTs. He said the manual transmission is the best one Audi makes. So for those of you with tiptronics or automatics, just beware one Audi mechanic doesn't feel those are very reliable over the long term. I have a manual trans, so it provides me some comfort.

I heard rumors of a class action lawsuit back in '06 because of the timing belt. This is quite worthy, as this timing belt problem/owners manual misprint is so prevalent - and Audi only acknowledges it privately on a case-by-case basis.

Frankly, I wouldn't trust any of the timing belts since 2000-2002 without verification from Audi that a) they changed the composition of the rubber timing belt or b) changed the owners manual to correct the 105K mile replacement mis-representation.

I wish I had my point of contact with Audi USA still. I'd post his contact information all over the internet.
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    Just saw another TT being put on a tow truck today.....glad I bought the chain driven Mercedes -Crossfire.
  • dallas7dallas7 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my '02 Audi TT in 2005 and it had 12,000 miles on it and all of the maintenance was kept up religiously. I have continued to take it in for its regular service. I go to take it in for service at 65k miles and they want to change the timing belt. They also want to change some other things like the alternater "while they are in there". After reading this forum, I am convinced that I need to change the belt but what about the other things they want to do to the tune of ~$1500? Should I let them do everything or wait untill the other parts break?

Also, I was very happy to get a letter from Audi TT Instrument Settlement Administrator to fix the problems with my instrument panel display. It has been buggy for a while, I will have that fixed as well.
  • savannah_ttsavannah_tt Member Posts: 3
    im looking to change timing belt asap before mine goes south.
    Prolly a good idea. So it costs $700 to fix the instrument panel. Im gonna get it fixed and tell them it broke last summer and turn it in by June 16th to see if they will reimburse me. My car was officially too old in Nov '07. Go figure...
    Wish me luck!!
  • mojdeh05mojdeh05 Member Posts: 1
    I never recieved a letter about the extention of warranty, any ways I lost the timing belt last night. My mechanic told me about the class action law suit. 2001 model was extended to 120000 miles , but the way that I understand is it was revised from 105000 to 120000 and mailed out sept. 11th of 2008, and the dead line was sept.30th of 2008 to file for damages.
    please acknowledge if you are in the same situation.
    If you have any info that will help me ,please post it . I have 110,000 miles on it.
    I guess they did not send all of the letters out at the same time. :( Since you have to get it fixed anyway, go ahead and submit the bill to Audi and see if they will honor it.

Good luck, Sir. I sorry your car broke.
  • joconnor4joconnor4 Member Posts: 1
    Today I needed my key fobs re charged, I was told my timing belt has hairline cracks. They are replacing it now. I have learned that I should have received a notice about a year ago to have it checked, as the result of a class action suit.
    I am certain that had I been alerted, I would have been covered now rather than bearing the expense.
    Anyone have any suggestions how to pursue Audi for failing to notify me properly? I have all of 49,000 miles thus far.
  • ramoncramonc Member Posts: 10
    Hi. Sorry for your troubles but Audi will only cover damages caused by a failed timing belt. The replacement of the belt is an owner responsibility. It is action like these from Audi that have soured my relationship with this car manufacturer. The worse part, and I hope I am not ruining your day, but this belt was an issue on this same motor on a previous model before the TT was released. And yet, they did nothing to redesign or upgrade the material of the belt. Way to stick it to the customer. My 2001 Roadster has this belt. I had it checked for free as part of the lawsuit and it was judged OK. I will check it every year and replace when necessary. It aint cheap to own a TT. Good luck. :(
  • suzassuzas Member Posts: 1
    Having the timing belt changed next week @ 73K miles. (2001 TT Quattro) I received notification of the class action, can't remember when, but at that point in time the belt, which was checked for free, part of the "suit" was fine. When I went in for the 60K service they said it was starting to crack and recomended it be changed as soon as possible but by at least 75K miles....yes now I get to pay the $1400. for a new one. I guess I should have had them install a new one then...that is if they would have done it being that it was ok then....somehow I doubt they would have. :confuse:
  • dominicsdominics Member Posts: 1
    I don't know much about cars but the timing belt went on my TT 1 week after I bought it 02 model with 60k miles. How can Audi sell a car with such a poor quality timing belt. I'm waiting to hear from the garage to see how bad the damage is but I'm sick as a dog. Will Audi accept any responsibility for the damage? On a normal cheap car you would expect the timing belt to last at least 100K?
  • coco15coco15 Member Posts: 2
    I have been following the timing belt problem for awhile. A friend had his timing belt go& the repair cost was 10,000.00 (which included the pistons).

I have a 2005 TT and am on the dealership to get accurate condition reports on it. They have told me that it is not the milage but the age of the belt that matters. They have recommended replacing it at the 6 year mark.

I think there was a class action suit in the States regarding the use of milage as an indicator of when the timing belt was to be replaced.
  • ramoncramonc Member Posts: 10
    To those worried about the timing belt. I replaced mine after 9 years and 55,000 miles and it was absolutely fine. It was a waste of money. My mechanic informed, after changing it, that the primary reason for timing problems is lack of changing the oil at least 3 times a year. Forget the once a year Audi recommended interval. This has proven faulty. Use semi synthetic or full synthetic for best performance. Look into the oil filler cap with a flash light and if the engine is clean, you have no worries until 100K miles. the Audi dealerships are not know for the best place to take care of your car. Find a competent independent mechanic. No only are the cheaper but have more interest in keeping your business than Audi employed mechanics. Good luck.
  • dchilds123dchilds123 Member Posts: 1
    My timing belt on my 2001 roadster went out last night. I have 89K miles on it.
    $950 to repair if there's no other damage.
    I read about a class action lawsuit but don't recall getting a notice. What are the chances Audi would honor my claim.
  • dlkoch1dlkoch1 Member Posts: 1
    I didn't get the notice about the suit/claim,and yesterday my timing belt went out at 90,000 miles. Apparently the valves are bent and basically I need a whole new top end on my engine, $5,500. Has anyone had any success through their dealer getting this covered? Or have you had to go to Audi USA?
  • matlock339matlock339 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    I've got a 2001 Audi TT 225hp quatro roadster with 92,000 miles. Bought it used, black on black with black convertable top. Hard to find, took forever but love the car, awesome. No problems with mine, runs great.

Got to admit after reading everything online I had gotten paranoid about even driving the car without having the timing belt checked. Though I had no problems I went ahead and bit it yesterday (3/31/10) and put a new timing belt on mine. Belt was the original and was fine. Could have gone another 10,000 miles easily. Looked like a 10 year old belt but had no signs of possible failure. Cost me $1,050 which included the water pump and all parts. Pump was also fine, plastic impeller was good too, no missing parts. Plastic was used apparently to save weight in the engine.

My Audi guy said it has nothing to do with oil or anything. Said it had alot to do with how the car is driven and how well its been maintained. He said if someone had driven the car hard, it will almost always shorten the belt (and everything else) life. Course, could have been a batch of bad belts manufactured too. He said he has never seen a TT motor sling a belt in 12 years but he has seen the tensioner fail and allow the belt to come off and then cause the problems with timing. My tensioner had just started to show a very small amount of leakage of hydrolic fluid but nothing major. Not bad after 10 years.

He told me too that the primary symptom was a rattle noise or clicking in the passenger side of the engine, near the cooling resevior which is the tensioner beging to relax and fail which will eventually allow the timing belt to flop, dismount and be torn in half. If you hear a rattling/clicking noise on the passener side of the engine, CUT IT OFF and TOW IT to the mechanic and have the belt and tensioner checked.

Also remember that the timing belt is a dry system, oil has no contact with the belt so changing the oil won't make any difference. One more thing, he said belt failure could be caused by someone cheaping out on the gas. If they are filling the fuel tank with 87 octane, you can get back pressure in the chambers and valves that puts ALOT more stress on the belt and especially the tensioner. This will wear the tensioner arm out early and cause preamture failure. Use the 93 octane to extend the belt life, the engine is so small and so tight in there, early compbustion can really stress these little engines.

Bottom line is that its how it was treated and driven. Good gas, driving normal, your belt should go 100,000 but when in doubt, check it, $1g is better than $5-10g's. He also said to be sure and change your fuel filter once a year or every 3 to 4 oil changes, the fuel line is so small and your fuel pump is so small that the filter can clog easily. I change mine on all my vehicles about every 25k to 30k which should be sufficient even on a tt, cost is about $75 to $100 if you let someone do it. My Audi guy worked for a dealship for 10 years so I trust him, take it or leave it...

By the way, read the lawsuit yesterday, and all claims, inspections, etc. dealing the the class action had to have been filed and done by August of 2008. I would still try though, get you an aftermarket warranty if you are worried, that would catch most of the damage if you did have a failure.

Matt, Birmingham, Alabama
  • pktrkt2002pktrkt2002 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2002 TT since 2003, when I purchased it slightly used. It's had regular maintenance and not been driven hard, and it spends most of its time in a nice, heated garage. On Dec. 20th, the timing belt went at 59,000 miles and took out my head - 46,000 miles short of the 105,000 mile scheduled replacement in my owners manual. I was without a car for three weeks, waiting for parts during the holidays and blizzards. The first I learned about the class action suit was when I called Audi's customer service four days ago, which was suggested to me by my mechanic, who is, by the way, excellent. At any rate, two different customer service reps have now made excuses based on the "age of the car" and the fact that once it was off warranty, I chose to have service done by an independent - instead of the local over-priced dealership. The long and short is that I doubt they're going to accept any responsibility for this.

I'm hardly ever out with the TT without getting a compliment on the car. I've come to think of it as a piece of road sculpture. Well for a few bucks at esigns.com, one can design a custom magnetic bumper sticker. Normally, wouldn't put a bumper sticker on my car, but I think "Audi SUCKS!" plastered on the back of it would be an appropriate way to tell the world what I think about the treatment I'm getting right now. Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else is looking for a creative way to vent.
  • dburks400dburks400 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2001 TT Roadster with only 4, 700 original miles. I live in Colorado and the car is in Missouri so I'm driving it back later this month.

I talked to 3 different mechanics who said they would not drive the car a long way without investing in the timing belt service. Even with low mileage, these can get brittle and crack over time. So I'm going to make the additional $1,100 investment to have this service done before I drive it back.

Like new, black with baseball optic leather seats. Beautiful! I've owned several Audi and VW cars and while I can't say I'm impressed with cost of ownership, they do know style!
  • atomicbatomicb Member Posts: 1
    Ok I just test drove a TT and loved it. Now I'm researching the vehicle more and see that there is a timing belt time bomb. With all things being equal if I'm willing to invest in the timing belt change and the cost of the vehicle is this car otherwise the little ballsy panty dropper I test drove?
  • yojomoyojomo Member Posts: 1
    Ok, lets start it off. I'm a women, bought a 2002 Audi TT Quattro last June! Yesterday the timing belt broke, valves bent, needs new water pump, and god know what else once they get in, massive engine work, 6500.00 for starters...Hell I only paid 10,500 for the car plus tax, had new racing rims put on for my birthday and NOW I am perplexed. Just 1000 miles shy of my 80,0000 mile maint. Would they have caught this????? I need advice, WHAT do I do. Thats more than half the cost of the vehicle...It was a play car that I haven't had for a year yet. Ok so we get emotional, My feelings are really hurt! Its a beautiful car. To Keep or Let Go? Thats the Question. If I let go, any suggestions on how I can make some $$$$ and not sustain total lost. This SUCKS!!!!
  • matlock339matlock339 Member Posts: 2
    Pretty complex as I see it and I am not afraid to repair something myself. Whole Passenger side of Motor has to come off to access the belts, tensioner, and water pump. Looked doable if you have a lift but forget it without one.

For the money, a shop can do it for probably close to what it will cost you in time, tools, and aggravation. Just my two cents.
  • anndavanndav Member Posts: 1
    Yojomo, what did you decide to do with your car? I have been looking for a Audi TT to convert to an electric car.
  • tambone101tambone101 Member Posts: 1
    Ok. Where do I start? First of all, I fell in love with a picture of an Audi TT and had to have one. After 3 years of searching for one I could afford, I drove 4 hours away to pick it up. It was in EXCELLENT condition when purchased with only 40,000 miles on it a year and a half ago. However, since purchase, I have found that paying cash for an Audi is great, but you had better go ahead and pay a car payment to yourself each month to cover maintenance and all the things that are going to break down. After about 3 months, started hearing a squeaky noise on the left front of the car. Took it to the Audi dealer - needed a new rack and pinion. Couldn't afford the Audi dealership price to replace it so I took it to a local big time suspension specialist and had it replaced for $1800 after three weeks of waiting for it to be shipped here from Hungary. Wow. Replace the battery at $150.00, brakes throughout for $1200, tires $1200. The electronic thing a ma jig on top of the battery at $300.00. (sorry for the language but I am at a loss for part names since I am a female). Ok, got everything possible replaced, or so I thought so I am good to go. Oh no, a clutch, are you serious? $4,000. At this point it is paid for and I am thinking, ok, whatever. I took it to a friend of mine who owns a performance clutch store who sold me the part only for $600 and had it put in by an Audi mechanic on the side for $1800. Great, back on the road. By the way, I LOVE MY AUDI TT. I actually cry when it breaks down because I love the car so much. However, I am beginning to have my doubts. Sooooo, another month goes by. It is about 12 months after having the rack and pinion replaced. Guess what? hearing that noise again so I take it IMMEDIATELY to the place that put it in. Looked it over really good and it is only a "non oiled bushing". They can replace it for $400 or the tech said it would be fine to drive it just like it is but its just noisy. OMG. Ok, broke at this point so I choose to drive it since the tech said no big deal. Another month goes by, guess what? That noise I heard was not a "non oiled bushing" it was the freaking rack and pinion- IT WENT OUT AGAIN - AT 13 MONTHS! - By the way, the warranty for a rack and pinion is only 12 months. Another $2000 spent on the rack n pinion. OK back on the road again. At this point with the price I paid for the car and the repairs, I am thinking OMG time for a new one. But I am on the road and happy. I took the car in the dealer on Monday last week, they had it for three days looking it over because I had hit a huge pothole. Guess what - $1800 worth of damage to the wheel and muffler but still driveable. While at the BLUEGRASS AUDI dealer, I told the service manager that I also heard a loose sounding noise on other front of the car. They had the car for three days and did not find anything wrong with the car other than the muffler and wheel being bent. Last night on the interstate I lost all function of the car. Belt Broke. Who knows what the crap that is going to cost me now. ANYBODY HAVE ANY INFO ON THE DEPENDABILITY OF A NEWER AUDI TT??????
  • zahavazahava Member Posts: 11
    Wow, Girl Calamity has over taken you. Sorry to hear about the troubles and it's continual repeating. The 01's through 03's have more issues. Read the forums and discussions on the 08's and 10's. They have different engines (mostly 6 cylinders) and are a tad more reliable. Some cars have the lemon mo jo and you might have one. There are folks out there that have 01s and 02's never have much trouble. I see them for sale with 150,000 miles on them. So, I would look at selling and trading for a newer model if you can. I just bought my 2nd TT and Plan to keep it 3 years. I got it from the original owner. It's got 58K on it. Has had all the work done on it. Guy bought it with 100 miles on it and drove it 11 years. This car will be used in the winter months and episodically in the summer. I am aware of reliability issues so I have a back up plan. I took a risk and will roll with it. If it breaks down alot then I will flush it. Read the forums. If you get a good one it should last a while. Good Hunting. Dump the lemon and get a rose.
  • irishaudiirishaudi Member Posts: 1
    anndav, did you get a tt to convert to electric
  • hockeydad900hockeydad900 Member Posts: 1

This is an old subject, but I wanted to provide an update to make sure the extended warranty under the settlement isn't forgotten. I have a 2001 TT with about 75000 miles. It has been regularly maintained, always at Audi dealers. I had the 80k service done early, a couple of months ago. Much like the other posts here, while driving to work on city streets a couple of weeks ago, it suddenly stopped running. I heard a clicking sound and managed to pull to the shoulder but couldn't get it to restart and thought it was a fuel problem. The car was towed to the Audi dealer that has done the service on it. They diagnosed a timing belt failure and extensive resulting engine damage (they had just inspected the TB in the 80k service but did not recommend changing it then). The cost for all of the repairs would have been about $7k. After doing some research, i found the information on the Audi TB settlement for this year's TT. When I provided the information to the dealer, they couldn't find it, apparently because the settlement is relatively old. I then called Audi of America's customer service center. Mark they was very helpful - he confirmed that I had an extended warranty on the timing belt to 105,000 miles, that Audi would covered all of the costs for the repairs and he provided the warranty information to the dealer. While I know that there aren't that many of these cars still on the road, i want to make sure anyone with a similar problem knows about the extended warranty, since it can save a lot on repairs if you have had it inspected regularly by Audi and the TB then breaks.

• porschechicporschechic Member Posts: 1

I'm debating about purchasing a 2001 Audi tt with about 70,000 miles on it, and after hearing about the timing belt problems I would definitely replace the belt immediately after buying it. However, the car is in South Carolina and I am located in Oklahoma, so I would already be putting another 900 miles on it before being able to change the belt. The car has never had any major problems and has been regularly maintained, but I'm not quite sure if I should take it. Any advice?

• carshopping9carshopping9 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a fun car. Looking at 2014 Audi TT w/85K on it. The owner says that nothing done other than normal maintenance.
    After what I have read, it sounds like I am looking at a time bomb. I see there are several aftermarket companies sell belt kits (belts, pulleys, ect). Any recommendations or stick with OEM (or just walk away).
    Thanx.