Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Audio System Problems

hlohlo Member Posts: 1
I am having an intermittent problem with the radio. When I first start the car in the morning the radio works fine! However once I turn the car off and restart it the radio no longer works and the lights on the radio blinks on and off. Any suggestions? It is hard to ride in a fine car without any music in the background!

Comments

• dls5dls5 Member Posts: 1
    We are having the exact same issue with our 2001 Sebring lxi. Have you tried talking to Chrysler yet about it? We have heard that this is a known issue, so perhaps we could get them to replace it. :lemon:
    please advise
    thanks
  • sebring02sebring02 Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same problem. Start the car in the morning and the radio works fine. Later in the day when I drive home, the radio just LED just flashes and it doesn't work. Sometimes it will intermittently come back on while driving. One time I hit the turn signal and the radio went off again and just kept flashing. Some type of electrical problem. Can anyone offer some help? hlo, did you get your problem resolved yet? Help
    I am having a problem with my stereo / radio. I start the car in the morning and the radio works fine. Later in the day when I drive home, the radio LED just flashes and it doesn't work - no sound. Sometimes it will intermittently come back on while driving. One time I hit the turn signal and the radio went off again and just kept flashing. Some type of electrical / power problem. Can anyone offer some help? Seems if the car is cold in the garage things are fine, but if its in the sun all day and really hot I see the problem more frequently. Help!!
  • claybclayb Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem. If the car is cold, or first thing in the morning -- radio works fine. After it has sat in the sun awhile - radio just blinks at me. I've searched the internet and have found others with the same problem; however, to date, no fix. Hopefully, someone will come forward to help us!
    I've still not figured it out or heard of the possible solution yet. Would like to get a little more knowledge before I take it to the dealer and they simply replace anything and everything and charge an arm and a leg. If anyone has a clue please post to the board. Very frustrating driving a convertible with no music/radio/CD!
  • cdrobcdrob Member Posts: 1
    I have the identical problem. A service guy said it might be a cold solder problem. In Canada, to exchange the radio costs $ 330.00. I think it might be prudent to buy an after market system.
  • jhfromnjjhfromnj Member Posts: 1
    If it is any consolation I am having the same exact problem with my 01 Sebring LXI. Since the temperature is now about 70 degrees each morning the radio does not work at all. If you hear of a solution, please let me know. I am going to check the Dodge Stratus sites, I believe that they have the same radio. Good luck!
  • dtaylor1dtaylor1 Member Posts: 2
    I need a replacement stereo system for my 2001 Sebring convertible. We want to install ourselves but can't find a unit without going through dealer. Components are am& fm stereo radio with graphic equalizer, 4-cd changer with cassette player. Manual says sales code, RBK whatever that means! Can anyone help or have an idea? Ours has a volume control button that is malfunctioning. We were told it was an Infinity unit.
  • jajlounyjajlouny Member Posts: 1
    This has recently happened to me. I called the dealership and told them that in the morning when the car was cool the radio worked fine. After sitting out in the sun all day or even for a few minutes it does not work. The dealer responded that they did not know what the issue was. They further stated that I should go to Best Buy and get a new stereo as it would be cheaper than having them repair it. I went to Best Buy, no replacement stereo that would work with the CD changer. They at least gave me an explanation: The heat makes the mother board expand and will not allow the stereo to go on in the expanded state. When it cools down it will work again. My issue is why did this take 3.5 years for this to begin. I have a 2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible. It heats up whether the top is up or down. I am also looking for HELP!!!!
  • kaw46901kaw46901 Member Posts: 1
    Did you every find out what was wrong with your radio? I have a 2001 Sebring convertible that was doing the same thing. I had the radio replaced and after about 3 weeks, the replacement radio has started doing this. The radio comes on when I start the car even if it is turned off and the station display just starts running through the stations. Anyone have any idea? I have had it checked by two different technicians & was told the problem was the radio. Obviously it is not the radio since the new one is doing it too.
  • lizziepooh17lizziepooh17 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Sebring Convertible is doing the same thing. The radio stopped all together for about 2 weeks. When I got home from the long weekend it didn't start at all. After being jumped it worked fine. They may or may not be related. Of course it's not doing anything for the dealer so they won't fix it. I'm hoping you have some insights since I've been having problems for almost a year now.
  • sebring9776sebring9776 Member Posts: 10
    sounds like your master relay fuse is going out. that is located on postive terminal connecting to the battery. becareful cause it could fry your brain if it goes completey out. :)
  • changezchangez Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2003 sebring and no owners manuals. How do I set the radio stations?
  • ladybug22_98ladybug22_98 Member Posts: 15
    just find station you want and press and hold about 4 seconds.
  • changezchangez Member Posts: 2
    ok. Thanks. I think I got it figured out.
  • wolfpak105wolfpak105 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2 door 1998 LXi Coupe. I have been trying to figure out how to get to the dash speakers without having to remove the whole dash. I can't seem to figure out how to get the grill off or get under the dash. I also don't want to remove the windshield to give me room to work. I am also wondering if the dash speaker and the door speaker are connected together, because there are only four speaker wire sets coming out of the radio and 6 speakers.
  • wolfpak105wolfpak105 Member Posts: 2
    If you bought an aftermarket radio, that would rule out the radio. If you had the radio replaced with another factory radio, your problem could still reside in your radio. Here is the problem...plain and simple. When your radio was manufactured, the manufacturer used a solder that was not up to par. This problem is known as cold soldering. The solder connects the components to the motherboard of the radio and when the space around the radio is cold, the solder contracts...like a rubberband with no tension. When that same space heats up, the solder expands and loosens the connection to the motherboard. This causes shorts on the motherboard and explains the flashing LED, the intermittent sound, and the one post that says they experienced the stations scrolling for no appearent reason. This seems to have happened to the 2001 convertibles mostly. Seems like an annoying problem for an entire year just to be caused by solder. If you are looking for an aftermarket raido that supports the cd changer, i would suggest you get an aftermarket cd changer as well, because the problem could be in the cd changer as well. You can look at most major "Automotive Audio Stores" to see if they might carry a radio that supports the cd changer...but i can say that most aftermarket radios don't.
  • ovp66223ovp66223 Member Posts: 8
    I removed the top cover on a 1997 Sebring for my cousin last month. The top back portion comes off in one piece (just the top part). There are screws on the sides (open the doors). You have to pop off plastic covers (fuse panel on driver side maybe) to get to the screws. Once that is done, the plastic piece can be worked out firmly, but carefully. The main dash has catches up near the windshield/firewall and you will lift up on the front side of that plastic piece and then gently pull toward you. I recommend starting on the passenger side and working across to the drivers side. You may need help getting it back on as the VIN plate on the far left (near the driver side dash speaker) is a pain. The speakers are 2" and I can't find any after market speakers for it...I guess small tweeters with adapters would work.
  • pkgman2pkgman2 Member Posts: 13
    My 2000 Jxi Convertible i purchased recently didn't come with a cd player, anyone know where I can find one. The radio does have the controls in it.....

getting hard to find my cassettes.
  • tofficertofficer Member Posts: 1
    We have had problems with our 2002 Sebring radio and 4 CD changer and will be replacing it with an aftermarket unit.
    Any local car stereo shop can sell and install a unit for you. Cruchfield.com is also a good source for after market stereo/cd players.
    You will not be able to buy a unit which will control your 4 CD changer. No one makes such a unit.
    You can probably find a stock radio on e-bay. I spotted several but decided against installing one after seeing the number of problems people have had with the Chrysler radios
  • dperk1956dperk1956 Member Posts: 1
    help!!!! I have a 99 Sebring convertible. It has an infinity amp under the front seat. Everything got wet after the car flooded after a rainstorm and now I have no sound from the radio. There is power and checked all fuses. Anyone know what I can do other than replace the amp?
  • mikebuckleymikebuckley Member Posts: 16
    My 2006 Sebring Limited has a 1-CD player and a 6-CD player. I was thinking that I might be able to keep 7 CDs in the two players. However, it seems that I can't play the CD in the 1-CD player because the system controls bypass it and default to the 6-CD player. Is that how the system is supposed to work?
  • geque75geque75 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 01 LXI Coupe with the Infinity speakers, etc. The speakers on the right side of the car works however, none of the left side works. I don't they are blown. Could this be a wiring or a fuse issue?

Thanks for your help
  • dazysnowdazysnow Member Posts: 1
    I have similar. Flood after rainstorm, top and windows were up. First, I had a dead battery. Crackling noises in the right speakers with the ignition off. I have sound on the left side but nothing but crackling on the right now that everything is dry. So that's an amplifier under the passenger seat? OK what will work. What is a good aftermarket unit to replace it with? The CD player will probably be the next to go, as the volume control isn't all that responsive. All in all, I like my Sebring, but it must have really been a torrential rain. No problem with flooding until now.
  • geque75geque75 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 2001 Sebring LXI Coupe. How do I remove the middle/front dash panel to get to the radio? I have removed the 2 screws on the bottom but I was wondering if there were any more screws to remove? Do I just pop the middle piece off? Any help would be appreciated.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    I recently bought an '07 Sebring with the MyGIG infotainment system. It wasn't something that I probably would have asked for if I was custom ordering it from the factory. However, now that I've had a chance to play with it for several weeks I think it is totally cool.

Anyway, one of the options for MyGIG is a backup rear view camera. Mine didn't come with one but I'm thinking about adding it. I've seen several color, wide angle, night vision cameras listed on eBay for under $50. The camera is very inconspicuous and attaches to the upper license plate frame. Most come with an RCA plug and 10-15 ft of cable.

Has anyone added a backup camera to their MyGIG? Is there an RCA jack on the back of it?

The factory installed camera shows the camera view on the screen automatically when you shift into reverse. I'm not sure how this would work on an aftermarket camera or if the dealership could program the MyGIG to make it do this. I know they can enable/disable the front seat DVD for certain states, so they apparently have some programming control over the setup.

If you want to learn more about MyGIG click here: http://www.chrysler.com/mygig
  • sunshine425sunshine425 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 JXI and have the same problem in reverse, the front left speakers work, but all the others are dead...did you find a solution yet? Thanks.
  • montrose76montrose76 Member Posts: 1
    what is the best upgrade, or aftermarket sound system for a 2006 sebring convertible. also where do you find a boot top cover?
  • mhanlonmhanlon Member Posts: 1
    I would like to replace my factory radio with a GPS system. Where would I get R&R instructions?
  • jaybird1211jaybird1211 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Chrysler Sebring sedan. It has the factory stereo (1 disc) in it. There's nothing wrong with it, it works just fine accept for one thing.....Me. I can't figure out how to set the clock. It's an hour fast and it's driving me nuts. :)
  • mikebuckleymikebuckley Member Posts: 16
    If your radio is like mine, look for an H (for hours) and an M (for minutes) on the right side of the radio display. Next to each letter is a hole. Stick a pen point in the H hole and push in. The hour will change.

By the way, that info is in your manual if you have one and forget the next time we have to change our clocks.
  • cg33cg33 Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever get an answer for this? My radio knob does not work properly. You turn it and sometimes nothing happens. It is especially annoying when you hear an announcement begin and try to turn it up to hear the details and not only does it not get louder, but it sometimes turns down instead. I want to get it out of the dash so I can try a tuner spray to see if that solves the problem.
  • earzanearzan Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I have a Chrysler Sebring 1997 and it has been an excellent car. The problem I am having right now is that when I turn off the wipers, they stop immediately (they do not finish in the bottom part of the windshield). I was getting ready to buy the motor (even though the motor works) becuase it comes with the electrical part thinking this is the problem. However the seller told it could be also the switch where you turn the wipers on and off. Do you know any way how to check which is the problem? Any suggestion or comments? Should I take the chance to buy the motor or should I go to the directly to the dealer? Thank for your help.

Eli

Note: Even though it has been a great car, I have had the problem that the radio gets on and off. Did someone find out what is the problem?? That radio has been replace like three times. Thank you.
  • fatfishfatfish Member Posts: 12
    This just happened to me this morning...is there an in line fuse or anything??
  • bustabubbabustabubba Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way for me to transfer selected song files from my iPod? I only seem to be able to copy the entire playlist using a USB connection.

Any help is appreciated
    Is there any way for me to transfer selected song files from my iPod? I only seem to be able to copy the entire playlist using a USB connection.

The only options for adding music to the hard drive are via disc or USB flash drive. You don't have to copy the entire playlist from a USB device.

Copying audio files using the USB port:

1. Lift USB cover and insert the USB device. Select MY MUSIC.
    2. Select IMPORT MUSIC FILES. Select FROM USB.
    3. Select individual files or ALL. Select DONE to begin copying.

There's a demo of this on the Chrysler MyGIG website. Click on "Copy Audio Files" on the left side of the screen.
  • djdrummernickdjdrummernick Member Posts: 53
    buy kenwood cd player best buy instaled 129 ok lol easy
  • 41coupe4me41coupe4me Member Posts: 4
    When a radio will only work intermitly you most likely have a ground or power issue. This can be fixed by finding the power/ground wire on the wires on the rear of the radio. Start with the ground wire (usually black) and splice into it and run to a good known ground (metal under the dash or firewall,and do the same for the power on except you will connect this to a power source that powers up with the key in the on position ( you will need a 12 volt test light for this) this will fix any power or ground issues if not you will have to replace the radio unit. This is not a difficult repair but if you are unsure any mechanic can do this in 30 minuites or so.
  • drex936drex936 Member Posts: 1
    my clock is on the navigation screen, will mikebuckley's clock re-set solution work for this set-up?
  • clearlyrobertclearlyrobert Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2008 Sebring Touring with the Standard 6 CD/MP3/Sat radio....I cannot see any way to go to random play....am I missing something? Surely, it has this feature...but not covered in the manual...and can't find anything via Google or Yahoo....

Also, anyone used a Data DVD for MP3s? Manual implies it will work...but also says there is a file limit of just 256 files...is this total file limit or is it per folder? I can usually get about 1,000 MP3s on a data DVD....

Anyone know of more info on this radio besides the standard car manual?

Thanks!

Robert
  • nkephartnkephart Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new radio and am trying to install it into my 97. i have full power to the radio and it is working, but am getting no sound through the speakers. what do I need to do.
  • qballn92qballn92 Member Posts: 1
    I had a dead battery, got it jumped and now have no sound coming from the radio, the radio powers on, any ideas?

and how to fix them?
  • 08_slvr_sea08_slvr_sea Member Posts: 2
    I have about 75% of the equipment on hand and am just waiting for the rest to come in before I start. First I will be putting a Alpine IVA-D310 single din head unit and a center channel speaker in the double din opening... what adapter have other owners used to install a double din head unit? Has anyone installed a din head unit as well as a Alpine SBS-05DC center channel speaker and if so how did you go about it? Has anyone used the Scosche CR1291 dash kit? (see link below) It is two brackets instead of a complete box frame. I suspect that this may work better than the box frame for what I am trying to accomplish. And what harness adapter do you use? If anyone has installed an Alpine TV head unit please give the part number so I can l look to see if that will work for my install.

The IVA-D310 is a DVD/TV head unit and I have heard that there are issues with installing a TV head unit in the 07 & 08 Sebring... has anyone encountered any wiring problems while attempting to install a TV head unit in either of these years models? If so what was it and how did you end up solving the problem?

I will be replacing the stock speakers in the front doors and in the rear deck. 6.5" coaxial Focal's in the doors and 6"x9" Boston Acoustics in the deck. These will be driven by a Rockford Fosgate T400-4 amp. As well as 2 Boston Acoustics G2 12" dual voice coil subs in a custom designed ported box in the trunk driven by a Sony XM-SD51X running at 2 Ohm putting out 500W. I will be running the amps thru a dual 1 Farad capacitor set-up from Audiobahn. All power and ground connections will be thru 1/0 AWG and interc">link titleonnections will be 16 AWG wires... all copper is 100% pure crystal-oxygen free. When the time comes to replace the battery it will be replaced with an Optima and the alternator will be replaced with a high output model for high amp usage. Distribution block and positive battery terminal will be gold plated and digital displayed to monitor current and fuse blocks will also be gold plated.

If anyone has any input or suggestions please feel free to! I look forward to any help that anyone can give1 Thanks for taking the time to look this over ! ~Fatalii

<a href="http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11838_Scosche+CR1291B+-+CR1291.html
  • bitburger1bitburger1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Did you find a solution to enable the DVD player in Drive position, If so can you help me to do it .

Thank you
    Did you find a solution to enable the DVD player in Drive position, If so can you help me to do it .

There are several aftermarket hardware devices that you can install to enable DVD in motion. The one I recommend is called ALLGIG-USB (do a Google search). I don't work for them, I just surf many MyGIG forums and the feedback I've read from ALLGIG owners is very positive. Apparently they have great customer support.

There was once a bug in one release of the MyGIG without nav (REN) where you could press a combination of buttons and get it to play a DVD while in motion. It was fixed on later releases but you might be able to find a video of how to do it if you do a Google search.
  • a1cmugsa1cmugs Member Posts: 3
    You could try CLUTCHFIELD Electronics, Call them and talk to there tech support. The custom make kits for vehicles and there tech support are great :sick:
  • ratrod1ratrod1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2002 sebring, does anyone have any ideas?
    Thank you.
  • bgbabybgbaby Member Posts: 1
    O1 sebring I don't get any sound from speakers .. I checked the speakers they work fine.. It's not the outputs on the radio checked that.. So it sumthn btween the radio & the speakers? ... Mayb there is a amp or capaciter of sum sort? ...any suggestions?
  • wheelie2xwwheelie2xw Member Posts: 2
    Little clip (lock) holding wire harness to fan resistor. Don't know how to separate. Any clues welcomed. Thanks
  • wheelie2xwwheelie2xw Member Posts: 2
    After another hour of searching found some clues but managed to figure it out. While pulling backwards on the clip using the little vertical tab put a small screwdriver blade under the hook on the other end and raise i so it clears the little black bar and pull the tab all the way back until it comes completely out. Once its out use the same screwdriver blade on one side prying out the little blue thing. Then do the other side. Slowly it will dislodge on each side until it eventually comes out. If replacing the resistor just plug in the new one firmly then reinsert the red clip.