Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Electrical/Lighting Problems

Comments

• Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Not sure if that will help me as my Maxx is out of new vehicle warranty and now into Majorguard, which doesn't cover bulbs and a lot of little annoying stuff.

But it does cover the fall-apart steering Rack :shades:

Meanwhile, another web site suggested the Malibu chassis upgrade has been delayed until 2010 for some reason or other. Is this true?
    If so, it gives the Maxx 2 more years to live beyond 2007.
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    After 3 left front failures the dealer changed the complete assembly and told me I would have no further problems with the signal light. It has been almost a year without a failure.
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I had a problem with the passenger side front turn signal, but no smoke or burn damage. The dealer replaced it under warranty with no hassle; he commented that it was a common problem with the 04s.
  • Options
    meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    My guy hooked to the back of the left taillight, running a wire under the bumper to pick up the right side turn/stop. He ran the wire out of the assembly and then into the hatch area. When I asked why he did it this way he said there were no holes to the outside from the inside. I made a quick check my self, and it appears to be true. Other then the drain for the sun roof there are no grommets or other openings. When I get a chance I will look into it more and see if I can find some other way to run the wires, and let you know.
  • Options
    maddmaxxmaddmaxx Member Posts: 81
    Would a TSB be a covered repair at 74k and a GMPP?

On my car the socket the bulb snaps into is fine, the bulb contacts themselves turn black, and the amber piece the bulb goes inside has literally burned as if a flame was under it and there is burn marks on the chrome above.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    There is a grommet for rear lamp harness on left side of vehicle. It goes straight out back. Most likely you might be able to see it when left rear lamp removed. You could likely see it from inside as well but would have to remove trim panel from that area.
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    GMPP doesnt cover replacing the socket.....I had it done under normal warranty....and no problems since...sounds like you need to have the same done here.....

finally a Maxx with more mileage than mine...an 04 here but I only have 67K on mine...
  • Options
    I have noticed at least here in Canada, that the 06 Malibu's DRL are the headlight instead of the turn signals. Was wondering if it was possible to flash the BCM and change my 05 to headlight for DRL?? I am a stead fast believer in DRL and the more the better.
  • Options
    Nope sorry :(

Nice to hear you like DRLs, I see so many others who want to disable the feature. :(:(

Of course since it looks like you are in Canada you don't have a choice since a legal requirement.

The BCM in your 2005 Malibu is actually capable of controlling a reduced intensity low beam DRL (same BCM is used in the G6 which had that configuration for 2005 model). However in the Malibu you don't have a DRL fuse/relay and voltage dropping wire required to get headlamp voltage correct (it runs around 83% of normal full headlamp voltage). A dealer also doesn't even have the ability to fool the BCM and try to enable the different DRL operation, it is kind of "hard coded" in service tool software.

Did you notice from reading owner manual (Pages 3-14 --> 3-17) that your Canadian vehicle also has a couple differences in exterior lighting from a U.S. spec vehicle? Basically there are a few features which weren't allowed for a Canadian vehicle due to regulations for lighting when vehicle is driving.
  • Options
    sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    Hi, I'm ready to take it in for the clunk now and last week we had lots of rain (sorry not the east coast, you REALLY got rain)did we have a thread on wet in headlights? Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks as always e2helper, Most Canadians like DRL of course we like seat belts too. I am a motorcyclist so know first hand how much safer lights on in the daytime are. Yes I did notice the restrictions on the exterior lighting control. Kinda over kill but then that's the Canadian way. I still really don't like parade mode. If my light are on on the outside for whatever reason, I would like the dash light on too. I guess still no work around for this yet???? Have a great July 4th weekend.
  • Options
    shadow5599shadow5599 Member Posts: 101
    Us Canadians were kinda forced into liking seatbelts :P
    But the current generation has grown up with them and most wont drive away until they are latched in, which is great.

I did notice that the DRL on my 05 is a bit unusual, only lighting up the "park" lights. Now I know there's no easy workaround but have to wonder why it was done like that. I dont believe there is a law concerning headlights being on during the day but most vehicles manufactured in the past several years have been set to run the headlights at all times.

What restrictions on the lighting control are you speaking of?
  • Options
    No work around that you would be happy with. I think dealer always had capability of turning off parade mode (they likely don't know that) but then you would complain that you can't see the radio and odometer display under conditions where headlamps are ON but it is still bright outside.
  • Options
    2 restrictions (both in owner's manual):

1: The ON/OFF Auto Headlamp switch cycle to OFF only works on a Canadian vehicle when transmission in Park.

2. The "dim to park" lighting mode where headlamp switch is turned to Park position which disables headlamps/DRLs and just turns on parking lamps is not enabled for Canada.
  • Options
    Well they should of done the simple thing and hooked the displays only to the light sensor, and let the rest of the dash come on with the lights,,,,,, as God intended !!!!! :o):o) Thanks again for all your help e2helper...
  • Options
    E2 you mentioned in the past not to hook anything into the wire for the CHMSL from the BCM. What if you were to disconnect the CHMSL from the wire to the BCM? Would this cause any fault codes, or anything to stop working??
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Well I certainly can't and don't recommend disabling the safety and federally mandated equipment on your vehicle but if you do this you wouldn't cause any fault codes and only CHMSL would stop working - might get you a ticket though :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info e2, "I am Canadian," we would never disable a safety device. I dreamed up this CHMSL thing on my 74 Duster, long before it became fashionable and then the law. Everybody thought I was nuts with this little light in my back window.I would work it from another source so that I could put a brake light modulator on it without tinkering with the signal from the BCM. Because you said it was quite sensitive.
  • Options
    Mr. e2helper I promise this should be the last question about the CHMSL. If I disconnect it from the signal wire from the BCM. Could I then use that same signal wire to energize a relay coil and nothing else, Without any problems???
  • Options
    e2helper, will using LED bulbs in my Maxx cause the turn signal to blink fast?
  • Options
    You forgot to mention a few things :P

Is this an additional lamp or are you trying to replace something? Are you adding it to front or rear lamps? What is the electrical load of the LEDs?

The rear turn signal have extra capacity as a provision for trailering. The front lamps do not.

There are legal requirements on turn signals for detection of bulb outtage which is why you see the double-flash rate when you have an inoperative bulb. An additional load might fool system to not detect the outtage if it is high enough. That would not be in compliance. I think this doesn't apply if the extra lamps are due to towing a trailer.
  • Options
    I was thinking of replacing the turn signal bulbs (front & rear) and maybe the taillamps with identical part # LED bulbs. This is to reduce the heat produced and prevent further lamp burning/damage that I have had in the front lamps that GMPP will not replace. I'm not towing anything. Thanks.
  • Options
    The replacement LED bulbs I have found for turn signals specifically state they are for "off road use" only.

Also, LED's usually use less current than a similar brightness Incandescent bulb.

I too would be happy to ditch the incandescent turn signals once legal replacements are available.
  • Options
    I had the same burnout problem with bulbs in the turn signals...and the sockets were replaced under warranty....are you trying to get the bulbs replace...(not covered by warranty) or the sockets....Im betting your issue is the sockets..do they seem scorched or burnt with the bulbs blow out........have them replace them..I beleive their may even be a TSB out on them....

LEDs draw far less current than the OEM bulbs...you can use LEDs..but must install a resistor as well to make the circuit think its drawing more power than it actually is in order to have regular blinking vice the fast rate....and the resistor will generate heat as well....
  • Options
    Yes, the bulbs are melted where the contacts are, the sockets are burnt, the amber cover inside the headlamp assembly has melted and there is flame damage and smoke damage on the chrome inside the headlamp.

I thought the LEDs may prevent another fire, but I don't really want to mess with adding a resistor. I wonder if there is a less wattage bulb out there?

Pao, do you still have the web page on your car? What is it?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I had one front blinker fail again, and closely examining the bulb, noted a small burn mark on the bulb connector, but not the socket connectors.

Fix:
    Replaced the bulb,
    cleaned all socket contacts __and__ gently bent their contacts inwards
    reassembled....no problems so far.

Next bulb change I may use conductive grease on the contacts (something Toyota uses on their connections) to help keep the corrosion from returning.
  • Options
    no..took the webpage down.....changed ISP providers...so dont have it up any more...thing you were interested in looking at again..I still have all the pics....
    notice a little heat marking on the inside of the right front headlamp this weekend...inspected it and the wiring and didnt see anything....but will keep an eye out.....I beleive that was the one that the dealership changed out under warranty over a year ago....
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I see you've made a CarSpace page. Why not post your photos in your album there?

imageimageDrive on over and see me!
  • Options
    thanks for the suggestion
  • Options
    drejdrej Member Posts: 119
    Hi; I have put on a hitch for the bikes. I would like to add the wiring for the 4 row prong plug for brake-stop/turn-signal lights. (small trailer tow)
    Has anone done this? or have a skematic of sort so I can wire in?
    Thanks in advance D~
  • Options
    So are the 4 wires for:

Left Stop/Turn Bulb
    Right Stop/Turn Bulb
    Tail Lamp Bulbs
    Ground?

Just curious. I don't do any trailering so don't want to assume anything. If so tell me colors of wires on your plug (which is which) and I will post back some more information.
  • Options
    The problem is the LED's use very little power to work. And car reads this as a light out. You can purchase a replacement flasher unit made for LED's and you wont need a resistor. You do lose the 2X flash if one bulb is out, but then LED's are suppose to last forever. I don't know if the Maxx uses the flasher unit to sense the load on the turn singal circuit to decide 1X flash or 2X or the BCM. IF it is the BCM then the new flasher wont work and you will have to go back to the resistor. Might be a good question for e2helper
  • Options
    williams8888williams8888 Member Posts: 10
    I am hoping someone can help me out. I went to check the fuses in the rear and pull out one to check but can't remember the correct slot to put it back in. :blush: It is a yellow number 20. There are 2 of them one I know goes in the #20 slot not sure if the 2nd one goes near the number 4 slot.

Thanks.
  • Options
    I am hoping someone can help me out. I went to check the fuses in the rear and pull out one to check but can't remember the correct slot to put it back in. :blush: It is a yellow number 20. There are 2 of them one I know goes in the #20 slot not sure if the 2nd one goes near the number 4 slot.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Yes I know that the owner manual doesn't tell you size of fuse but there is fuse usage/size information on the inside cover of fuse panel. You might need a flashlight to see it but you will probably have better luck looking at that than interpreting my response without any visual aids :)

Anyways there are extra slots in rear electrical center but they won't retain a fuse since nothing inside to grip it. The only 20Amp fuses in the center on a Maxx are one for rear power outlet (#12) and another one for the 2 power outlets in console (#20).
  • Options
    :) That was the help I was looking for. Thank you,
  • Options
    Hi e2. Was wondering if you know if the wire from the BCM to the CHMSL runs up the A pillar and along the roof to the back or does it go to the back and then up the C pillar??? And if so which side, driver, passenger? Thanks
  • Options
    I had to replace my CHMSL and the wiring bundle came from the left...so drivers side...dont know which pillar however...
  • Options
    Thanks pao, you don't remember what colour the wires were do you ????
  • Options
    It runs to back and up driver C-pillar. However I would stay aways from that circuit because it is only designed to handle driving the CHMSL - it is fed directly from the BCM.
  • Options
    Thanks e2
  • Options
    jcaslerjcasler Member Posts: 4
    And just how do you change a tail light in this thing? The owner's manual says to remove two screws, the pull back the "trunk trim" to get at a plastic wing nut. OK, but there's no "trunk trim!" There also appears to be a fastener someplace that is totally blind. I don't want to just pull on the assembly, since I might break it, but I can't find any wing nut, nor any way to reach such a wing nut. :mad:
  • Options
    Manual phrased more for sedan which has flexible trunk trim. In your case you have hard plastic rear quarter trim.
  • Options
    Yeah, uh, great. So, How do I change a tail light bulb in this goddamm thing?
  • Options
    The manual gives instructions on how to do it on the sedan, but there's no "trunk trim" inside the Maxx. I can't get to the "wing nut," which appears to be buried somewhere under the interior trim.
    Please tell me that I don't have to take aprt the entire interior in back of this thing just to change a freakin' bulb!

No wonder GM can't sell cars! What a pain!
  • Options
    Well, for crying out loud!
    It would be nice if the people who wrote the Malibu Owner's Manual had made a note of the difference between removing the tail light assembly from the sedan and removing same from the Maxx.
    Turns out the Maxx tail light assembly is held on by a pair of bayonet mounts, so, once the two indicated screws are removed, all I had to do was pull the whole thing straight back sharply.
    A note would have been nice...
    At least now I know how to do it.
  • Options
    yes, that is the procedure. I had same issue and someone on this forum advised me of procedure months ago.
    As for the sockets, I use BlueFrog or other quality industrial electrical contact cleaner to minimize corrosion.

There are other mistakes in the Maxx manual (there was an issue with how spare tire parts should be ordered in reassembly).
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I changed my bulbs a few months ago without incident, don't remember much problem. Was your Maxx an 04? If I remember correctly my 05 directions were fairly straight forward.

My previous car was an '01 Elantra. Front bulbs were all metal units (H1's-h7's?) that could take several hours for me to change. The bulbs were constantly going out and after about a year I discovered that they were covered under warranty. The rear bulbs were impossible to figure out (I've owned 30+ cars and this was the first car whose complexity escaped me). Finally took it to the dealer and was charged $110 (over $100 in labor) for changing 3 bulbs-- front: warranty, rear:no warranty.

One more reason why I'm generally happy with my Maxx.
  • Options
    shelley15shelley15 Member Posts: 1
    On my 2005 Malibu Maxx, I have a problem with the accessory power outlets. With the car not running, I tried to run a laptop off an inverter, but kept getting error messages there is not enough voltage. Tried all three outlets, after the service guy told me that only the rear one in the cargo area would have enough power. Anyone know what the specs are on this? What I should expect to be able to run?
  • Options
    System voltage is same at all locations. Outlet in rear is off its own 20 Amp fuse while the 2 in console (front and bin) share a second fuse. Both fuses are located in rear electrical center.

Perhaps your battery in laptop was pretty low and your inverter is struggling to pull enough current and needs all the voltage it can get at that low of a system voltage (when vehicle not running). I have had cases even in a vehicle running where my inverter couldn't keep up with laptop and shut down due to overheating - I bought a new inverter with higher power output rating.